Ukraine War

BehoId, The Underminer!

In the Russian-government-controls-discussion department… a Russian friend related that if the word “war” is used in communication, the communication is abruptly cut off. She is here in the states, so I don’t if that applies to general communication in Russia or just external to internal.

18 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

So much this.  When a party's currency is lies and outrageous statements, they impose that same way of thinking on their counterparty.  Russia doesn't give any weight to what we say because they don't give any weight to what THEY say -- it's all bullshit and posturing, meaning nothing except creating (im)plausable deniability.  "We are not planning to invade Ukraine.  These are just exercises, we don't know why anyone is getting freaked out about this."  Russia just "says shit," and it means literally nothing.  So, they impose that take on their counterparties as well.

Sounds just like Trump

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Tuco said:

So, it wasn't through elections and it wasn't invasion.  How, specifically, do you think Biden's comments should be interpreted?  Let's stop playing faux-outrage bingo and why don't you use your fucking words and tell us why this was a "pretty big deal."  You know, maybe you can compare and contrast how serious we should take this when compared to supplying munitions that are killing Russian soldiers daily.  Or maybe compare it to leading global sanctions which will crash Russia's economy in an attempt to weaken Putin's control.  We are in the middle of a fucking proxy war with Russia and Russia is shelling civilians, so please tell me why this is supposed to be headline news.  Be specific, and be sure to clutch those pearl tightly. 

Haha, I'm the one clutching pearls? Your post would make a lot more sense if I actually  posted anything approaching outrage, or even any emotion at all. I refuse to believe you don't know how the US and others have pursued regime change aside from elections and invasion. I already used my words to explain why it's a pretty big deal, in that very same post. Cheers.

I think the only real objection to Biden's ad-lib is that it might have been needlessly provocative.

But as has been pointed out, the Russians are unlikely to treat it that way, and it seems most of our allies actually applaud the truism of it.

“Help our partner Trump”

Fucking duh. Anyone who still thinks Trump isn’t the most important Russian asset in history - whether witting or unwitting - is in intentional denial.
Trump is the most dangerous weapon Russia has ever possessed…and an entire political party wants to put him right back in their hands.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

The reboot of the reboot of "The Manchurian Candidate" seems a little too realistic for my tastes.  How about we just remake "The Falcon & the Snowman" and call it a day?  

Fucking duh. Anyone who still thinks Trump isn’t the most important Russian asset in history - whether witting or unwitting - is in intentional denial.
Trump is the most dangerous weapon Russia has ever possessed…and an entire political party wants to put him right back in their hands.

I guess we know where they spent their military budget, GQP, Trump, NRA…. Instead of competent troops and equipment.

18 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Neidermeyer actually served and was killed by his own men.

Little known fact...while A&M does in fact NOT produce more military officers than any other college, they do lead the nation in most officers killed via their own troops.  

There is a Corp of Cadets scholarship given out each year in the name of Lt. Douglas C. Neidermeyer.  TRADITION !  

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

there are at least 2 simulations running now in parallel on the planet.  there may be others.  but it's pretty clear the 2 we know about are also running in parallel in the us and russia, with 37% living in one, and some percentage higher thatn 50% living in the other.

the parallel simulations are the same - degenerates. they are certainly the minority but they will feast on our inability to sacrifice, along with our over valuation on eternal optimism. technology and our stagnant cultural values will not allow for any course of action to mitigate this. and eventually they will win in more places at once and cause more destruction. 

saying that, ole vlad is certainly putting that cat back in the bag a bit - and I thank him for that. thanks vlad! asshole. 

hope you homies are well. i am spiraling into my friday like a champ. 

Time to start sinking ships!

I advocated very early on for what I thought was the best help we could give them would be to flood the battlefield with Drones and Stingers.  Simply a I felt is was the best way to extract a higher cost for Russia.  The ferocity of the good guys was far, far beyond my expectations.  

This war has evolved and it's time to switch tactics with the main focus to further increase the cost to Putin.  Sinking a couple ships that were pounding Mariupol, would be a very, very good start in allowing the Ukrainians to clearly show they can extract enormous costs as time goes forward.

I have no illusion that Putin is actually withdrawing.  More likely IMHO he is trying to simply consolidate the coast around the Sea of Azov and lock Ukraine out of sea access. Strategically this is the one thing I think Putin can do and plausibly save face for his people.  Conversely IMHO it's an outcome that I think could be made extremely costly if the Ukrainians could start sinking ships.  I also think there is a certain psychology that is unique to the Navy than other branches of the Military.  Ships return to port or they do not.  Not having a ship return psychologically is like losing every sailor on the ship, even if that is not true.  It's like an empty parking spot reminding daily of a defeat and loss of fellow soldiers.

Anyhow let's get them whatever they need to start sinking a few ships.  Putin is only going to try to save face if we can further ratchet up the costs on and off the battle field.  I personally believe that beginning to sink a few ships is the single best next step we could take in moving this war toward an end.  Not that I think it will end anytime soon, but I think that a couple of new reefs made of Russian Naval ships, is the best and most cost effective strategy to make Putin bleed a little more.

• Hook 'Em 5

5 hours ago, Shaddie said:

So you’re not in the CR anymore? Weird. 

Interesting...didn't realize this post was in CR.  I can't select CR from the list of forums, but apparently I can reply to a notification.

Going to have to get them to fix that glitch.  I don't want to interact in this cesspool.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 4

11 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

Interesting...didn't realize this post was in CR.  I can't select CR from the list of forums, but apparently I can reply to a notification.

Going to have to get them to fix that glitch.  I don't want to interact in this cesspool.

You don't have enough self-control to avoid the CR on your own?

• Haha 3

Yeah, I didn't even know you could "lock yourself out" of a particular forum.  So Imma has to build the feature, mods have to receive requests to turn it on/off for multiple forums, mistakes are made, people change their mind, lots of messages back and forth.  Grand waste of everybody's time, or Ag with Kids can just not click on a particular forum and solve the whole dilemma in 2 seconds.  

It's like with StruggleBus and Rage-a-Holic.  Follow me from thread to thread all over the board, bringing up shit I said on CR or DT or something years ago.  And then always follow up with how they don't read my posts 'cause I'm a shit poster.  When they could just put me on ignore, or just skip over my posts.  Why do we need to resort to these complicated solutions when the simplest ones are a mouseclick (or lack of mouseclick) away?  

Anyway, back to the war.  So what happened...Trump called Putin but instead of asking him to stop attacking civilian targets, he asked for more dirt on the Bidens?

Time to start sinking ships!

Are there drone torpedoes? I would imagine the technology wouldn’t be that difficult, but there would be little incentive for the major powers to develop. Not useful for counter-insurgency or head to head shooting war. It’d be a pretty niche application, that happens to apply now.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Are there drone torpedoes? I would imagine the technology wouldn’t be that difficult, but there would be little incentive for the major powers to develop. Not useful for counter-insurgency or head to head shooting war. It’d be a pretty niche application, that happens to apply now.

The TB2 Bayraktar drones they have been killing tanks with have a range of 6000 km. They only have a 65 kg payload, so not sure if the anti-armor munitions they carry could sink a ship, but I bet they could fuck up the docks. Turn the cranes and rails into twisted metal and Russian logistics get even worse. 

• Hook 'Em 2

spacer.png

Apparently the ship killer can be launched from these, so a good fit for a more stealthy presence

38 minutes ago, Tuco said:

This looks like it would work, but how fast could you shift production?  Seems like it's not something we have a lot of laying around.  Marine corps Anti ship truck mounted missile launcher, can be remotely operated apparently

Not really sure if there is much of a stealth method to sink the ships other than perhaps drones, or something like above.  What sort of production window and TRAINING window might be needed to get Ukraine capable of retaking access to the Sea?  The longer this goes on the more it costs Russia, but Ukraine is paying a horrific cost. 

But finding a way to break the ONLY THING that I see as a possible "victory" for Putin is taking the Sea of Azov. I personally feel with the sort of cost Ukraine has already taken on finding a way to thwart complete Russian control of the coast is paramount.  Now it may be that the Ukrainians feel that land is lost, but that is where Putin is most determined to try to maintain control.  If not from occupation, from destruction.  But sinking a few ships would be a nice way to make the coastal occupation a bit more uncomfortable and expensive longer term,

Edited by horn4life

16 minutes ago, horn4life said:

spacer.png

Apparently the ship killer can be launched from these, so a good fit for a more stealthy presence

This looks like it would work, but how fast could you shift production?  Seems like it's not something we have a lot of laying around.  Marine corps Anti ship truck mounted missile launcher, can be remotely operated apparently

Not really sure if there is much of a stealth method to sink the ships other than perhaps drones, or something like above.  What sort of production window and TRAINING window might be needed to get Ukraine capable of retaking access to the Sea?  The longer this goes on the more it costs Russia, but Ukraine is paying a horrific cost. 

But finding a way to break the ONLY THING that I see as a possible "victory" for Putin is taking the Sea of Azov. I personally feel with the sort of cost Ukraine has already taken on finding a way to thwart complete Russian control of the coast is paramount.  Now it may be that the Ukrainians feel that land is lost, but that is where Putin is most determined to try to maintain control.  If not from occupation, from destruction.  But sinking a few ships would be a nice way to make the coastal occupation a bit more uncomfortable and expensive longer term,

Isn’t that basically what the Switchblade drones are? Human guided missiles? I don’t know what sort of payload the Switchblades carry but it doesn’t seem like it would be too hard to upgrade them to ship killers. Biden is sending 200 Switchblades to Ukraine. (Not to mention thousands of Stingers and Javelins). Maybe that has something to do with why Putin is backing off from Kyiv.

49 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

^^^

Those are so new I don't think the Marine Corps is fully operational yet. But it would be a great proof of concept if we could get them there. 

I doubt we could get them the remotely operated versions but human operators on a small existing platform?  We could ramp those up (if we can find chips).

38 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Isn’t that basically what the Switchblade drones are? Human guided missiles? I don’t know what sort of payload the Switchblades carry but it doesn’t seem like it would be too hard to upgrade them to ship killers. Biden is sending 200 Switchblades to Ukraine. (Not to mention thousands of Stingers and Javelins). Maybe that has something to do with why Putin is backing off from Kyiv.

I would imagine the Russian Ships do have some pretty good defensive artillery. But just sinking even one shows a display of force that Putin needs to additionally account for.  Apparently there is also some rumblings that the Military was afraid to tell Putin how bad it really was going.  And we thought he was pissed before...

16 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

if elected, 30 mins after his inauguration (in front of a record breaking crowd!!!), he pulls the US out of NATO and all US military forces from Europe 

3 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

The TB2 Bayraktar drones they have been killing tanks with have a range of 6000 km. They only have a 65 kg payload, so not sure if the anti-armor munitions they carry could sink a ship, but I bet they could fuck up the docks. Turn the cranes and rails into twisted metal and Russian logistics get even worse. 

you take out cranes and rails and they are beyond fucked 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

if elected, 30 mins after his inauguration (in front of a record breaking crowd!!!), he pulls the US out of NATO and all US military forces from Europe 

Shit man, he's gonna include that announcement in his inaugural address, along with removing sanctions from Russia, something about Ukraine being run by the Bidens, announcing Sidney Powell as his acting AG appointee and launching investigations into Hunter Bidens laptop and the 2020 election. 

19 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Shit man, he's gonna include that announcement in his inaugural address, along with removing sanctions from Russia, something about Ukraine being run by the Bidens, announcing Sidney Powell as his acting AG appointee and launching investigations into Hunter Bidens laptop and the 2020 election. 

This is 100% satire, and also 100% accurate.  I'm dead serious.

43 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

dumb question amnesty: why are ships so difficult to take out? wouldn't they be one of the easier targets?

Not a dumb question at all.  My uneducated guess is that it is a question of size and compactness.  

If you hit a tank with an armor piercing ordinance, let's say you get a 1" hole in the armor and 20 cubic foot fire ball/shrapnel on the backside.  The tank is pretty much crew space, engine, fuel and ammo.  Chances are pretty good you will hit something that will take the tank out of the battle. 

If you hit a ship with the same ordinance, with the same hole and fireball, it's more likely you will take out space.  Maybe a couple of sailors.  Maybe some important system.  But if you don't hit fuel or ammo, that ship is still in the battle.  Even if you hit it below the water line, they will close off the segmented hatch and patch it later.  If you've ever watched footage of WW2 naval battles, those ships can take a ton of damage and stay in the fight.  Until, suddenly, a lucky hit gets the fuel or ammo, and then it's over.  Which is why fuel and ammo are heavily armored.  

• Hook 'Em 3