Ukraine War

BehoId, The Underminer!

I have a Kindle and like military fiction among other things. There's not a lot of good stuff out there.

I gave Battlefield Ukraine a shot; it's free. Actually not too bad. I skip past the cornball backstories of the Boy Scout American soldiers. The writer seems knowledgeable about Russian and American capablities.

The book was written before the current conflict. In the book, Russia invades a Ukraine already supported by the US with advisers and a few light units. The US rushes in armor and air support once the Russians roll.

Roma, why are you boring us with this?

Here's the thing, the Russians kick everybody's ass with their brilliant planning and advanced technology! They also strike at bases in Europe which the novel sets up as fair.

The good guys fight bravely, but get pushed back to a desperate defense of Kiev. That's where it ends in hopes I'll read the next book in the series. 

It reminded me of how truly shocking it is that Russia's army failed so miserably confronted with only Ukrainians. Well-trained and supplied Ukrainians to be sure but not supported by NATO or American fighting units.

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I have a Kindle and like military fiction among other things. There's not a lot of good stuff out there.

I gave Battlefield Ukraine a shot; it's free. Actually not too bad. I skip past the cornball backstories of the Boy Scout American soldiers. The writer seems knowledgeable about Russian and American capablities.

The book was written before the current conflict. In the book, Russia invades a Ukraine already supported by the US with advisers and a few light units. The US rushes in armor and air support once the Russians roll.

Here's the thing, the Russians kick everybody's ass with their brilliant planning and advanced technology! They also strike at bases in Europe which the novel sets up as fair.

The good guys fight bravely, but get pushed back to a desperate defense of Kiev. That's where it ends in hopes I'll read the next book in the series. 

It reminded me of how truly shocking it is that Russia's army failed so miserably confronted with only Ukrainians. Well-trained and supplied Ukrainians to be sure but not supported by NATO or American fighting units.

I don’t think you got your money’s worth. 

• Haha 1

On 8/24/2022 at 2:24 PM, Tuco said:

I don't know how the average Ukrainian can walk down the street.  If I had balls that big, it would really interfere with my gait. 

No matter what, you have to live. Check out the Chellist of Sarajevo. A lot of the book is about going out to get water for the day under Serbian shells. 

4 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

“Russia is poor, their military has been robbed for years, their best tech is vaporware,  so they get their shit pushed in” is not awesome drama for a beach novel. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

There is practically a whole genre of American soldiers being in conflicts around the world, where they get their back to the wall, and they make heroic sacrifices and eventually save the day.  Ukraine, Japan, Hong Kong, South America, etc.. enemies and locales change, but the Americans come through in the end.  The plot would have worked just fine for book sales/reads prior to last February.

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I don’t think you got your money’s worth. 

$10 a month for Kindle Unlimited and you get all you can read of a shitload of this kind of stuff.  

• Hook 'Em 1

If that^ was unclear to you too:

The 109th regiment of the so-called ‘DPR’ (Donetsk People's Republic) has withdrawn from its positions in Kherson Oblast, and the Russian elite Airborne, who supported them, fled the battlefield.

On 8/26/2022 at 2:42 PM, atomheartbevo said:

There is practically a whole genre of American soldiers being in conflicts around the world, where they get their back to the wall, and they make heroic sacrifices and eventually save the day.  Ukraine, Japan, Hong Kong, South America, etc.. enemies and locales change, but the Americans come through in the end.  The plot would have worked just fine for book sales/reads prior to last February.

$10 a month for Kindle Unlimited and you get all you can read of a shitload of this kind of stuff.  

There is a ton of semi-obscure military fiction on there.  Some of it is pretty decent, actually.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2022 at 2:40 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

“Russia is poor, their military has been robbed for years, their best tech is vaporware,  so they get their shit pushed in” is not awesome drama for a beach novel. 

The fuck it isn't. That's the perfect beach novel.

• Drool 1

Furthermore...

Several Russian energy oligarchs have died in unusual circumstances in recent months:

• The body of millionaire Novatek former manager Sergei Protosenya was found alongside his wife and daughter at a Spanish villa in April
  • A former vice-president of Gazprombank, Vladislav Avayev, was found dead with his wife and daughter in their Moscow flat, also in April
  • In May, a former Lukoil tycoon Alexander Subbotin died of heart failure, reportedly after seeking alternative treatment from a shaman.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-62750584

On 9/1/2022 at 8:40 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

Furthermore...

Several Russian energy oligarchs have died in unusual circumstances in recent months:

• The body of millionaire Novatek former manager Sergei Protosenya was found alongside his wife and daughter at a Spanish villa in April
  • A former vice-president of Gazprombank, Vladislav Avayev, was found dead with his wife and daughter in their Moscow flat, also in April
  • In May, a former Lukoil tycoon Alexander Subbotin died of heart failure, reportedly after seeking alternative treatment from a shaman.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-62750584

putin about to 'inherit' some oil companies ?

Yep, with whats happening on the ground, this thread 'bout to heat up. 

Putin has reportedly taken command of the Russian forces, but with the disarray/collapse happening now, I'm sure his attention is being pulled mostly toward maintaining power/control over the Russian people. With nobody really commanding the military, the collapse of the entire Russian forces in Ukraine will only come quicker. 

What happens in Moscow when Ukraine is chasing the last fleeing orcs over the Kerch bridge? It may happen pretty soon. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2