2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)

BurntOrange&White

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Troy Omieire, hopping downfield on one leg, is the fastest WR; and Bijan and Roschon are both faster the Keilan Robinson. Okay.

I know back in the spring they had a mass x speed board, not necessarily those guys at the top of the board were the fastest

What people view as being “fast” is a lot more akin to acceleration than top speed. It’s generally easy for taller players to have a higher top speed because their strides are longer. But going 23mph for 0.1 seconds is not the same as having the best 40yd or 100m time.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Octavian said:

What people view as being “fast” is a lot more akin to acceleration than top speed. It’s generally easy for taller players to have a higher top speed because their strides are longer. But going 23mph for 0.1 seconds is not the same as having the best 40yd or 100m time.

True

They've got to have acceleration and jolt numbers too I'm assuming. I'd want to see them stats. Top speed in a breakaway is sweet but change of direction is an absolute killer.

Some “observations” from 7-on-7 from a source…

- Hudson Card is getting noticeably quicker with the ball.

- Isaiah Neyor got the splint off of his thumb more than a month ago, but it is still healing somewhat.

- Quinn Ewers is building a particularly strong passing-game rapport with Neyor. Neyor just always seems to be open.

- Jatavion Sanders is not slowing down. He made such a big push from winter of last year through the spring, and that commitment has not ebbed.

- Jahleel Billingsley appears a little craftier in running routes than maybe one would naturally think of a tight end. He has a good feel for exactly when to push the accelerator, especially downfield.

- Jordan Whittington is reliable.

- Xavier Worthy truly is the X-factor. He does a ton of damage after the catch, even in touch football.

- No player on the team is said to be more focused on each workout than Brenen Thompson. Consistent high level effort.

- Jerrin Thompson is the vocal leader of the secondary.

- Ryan Watts plays great press coverage. He has not shown elite make up speed, however.

- D’Shawn Jamison has been working and focusing on refining his technique.

The above are all individual comments from a source who has witnessed a couple 7on7 workouts.

Overall, the source said Texas should have a more potent passing game in 2022 and a more cohesive secondary, although as expected, the offense looks to be ahead of the defense at this time. That’s part the nature of 7on7 work and partly related to personnel in the onlooker’s opinion.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Don't think this has been posted yet. Nahlin:

An IT source mentioned the speed of the wide receiver group. Every one of the “main” guys was described as fast. In this case, fast means running 22+ mph (not in pads obviously). We heard the names you’d expect: Xavier Worthy, Jordan Whittington, Isaiah Neyor, Agiye Hall, and Brennen Thompson. In our due diligence we asked about Troy Omeire and heard back, “Oh yes, him too.”

Wait, really? This is a nice development. The immediate follow up was “can he change directions?” The response was, “some routes he struggles with, I bet the brace bothers him.” Still, even as a jump-ball back-shoulder straight-line threat he provides real value add.

Of the freshman, we heard more superlatives around Brenen Thompson. He is next-level fast on the football field but also runs pretty good routes and catches the ball.

What was said about Savion Red will sound damning with faint praise, but it fits his “pure football player” reputation. He’s a hard worker and moves well on the field, he just doesn’t have the top-end speed of others.

Of course we always ask about new players more than the known quantities, but when just generically asking about linebackers Diamonte Tucker-Dorsey was mentioned. He’s been described as small in the past, but this source says he’s just not tall. Thicker build and has obvious football IQ. That IQ has helped him get his hands on a good amount of passes in 7 on 7. We hear he’s picking up the defense fast.

With the knowledge De’Marvion Overshown is expected to have a more unique role, the staff needed an extra ILB to pair with Jaylan Ford. But let’s not forget about David Gbenda, who the staff thinks was already allowing them to freelance Overshown. Competence just might be achieved from the position this year, and part of that will be due to moving Overshown. Getting guys in their right fit matters.

Earlier in the week IT heard of some quality praise surrounding Malik Murphy from a college coach who wishes he was coaching him. My expectations are still tempered because 7 on 7 isn’t anything close to real football and it will naturally mask the evaluation concerns many, including myself, have of him. With no pass rush he isn’t forced to move around in the pocket and reset, and he’s also not forced to speed up his mechanics in the face of a rush. That written, his accuracy has been good in 7 on 7 and power in his arm is evident. On top of that, he’s studious.

Texas has two paths to recruiting well this cycle: land Arch and play respectably, or miss on Arch and light it up. There is but one path to kill it, and both are still in play.

Ladies and gentleman, I present to you the standard Texas offseason.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

In our due diligence we asked about Troy Omeire and heard back, “Oh yes, him too.”

Wait, really? This is a nice development. The immediate follow up was “can he change directions?” The response was, “some routes he struggles with, I bet the brace bothers him.” Still, even as a jump-ball back-shoulder straight-line threat he provides real value add.

IT still valiantly trying to make Omeire happen I see.   

On 6/22/2022 at 10:36 PM, futureman said:

22.6 for rojo is wild. 

That would make him the fastest player in offense, likely the whole team... I'd like to know the distance that he held that speed over.  I could see him having the fastest burst on his 3rd step. But it's he really that fast over distance? 

Don't matter. No Brakes.

• Hook 'Em 2

Good advice for this Texas team right now...

"You ain't got shit in this game.  You better work on it."

"The worst three words in football..."

You could make the case for a lot of phrases to be the worst three words in football, but Warren Sapp recently shared three that will ring true for players and coaches.

DOUG SAMUELS     JUN 20, 2022

Warren Sapp enjoyed a playing career that earned him a spot in the Hall of Fame.

Caleb Swanigan, Former NBA Player, Dead at 25Keep Watching

As memorable as his play was, Sapp was also a product of The U in their heyday, so he also had no shortage of sound bytes throughout his career.

Sapp was a guest at Washington Commanders practices last week, and took advantage of a few moments where he delivered another zinger.

Asked about how important technique was later in his career for a guy that was incredibly skilled as he came into the league, Sapp touched on the importance of intentional hard work daily, and how important it is to never think you have arrived.

"I didn't know how to pass rush when I came into the national football league. Me and Rod Marinelli spent 15,000 hours out on the field...it took me a year and a half to develop that post jump."

"Just like I tell them, it's an every day battle. You've got to work hard every day, so when this season comes along you've got a foundation for all the Pro Bowls and other stuff that comes with it."

"You gotta work on it. The worst three words in football are 'we got it,' or 'I got it.' You ain't go shit in this game. You better work on it."

Sapp's words are aimed at players, but they ring true for coaches as well. Coach long enough and you'll be around guys who get too comfortable, and the game passes them by.

https://footballscoop.com/news/the-worst-three-words-in-football

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic