2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)

BurntOrange&White

21 minutes ago, futureman said:

only one of them has played meaningful snaps on the road in a harsh SEC environment. that can’t be measured in recruiting stars or NIL dollars. that’s real world shit, and sark knows it. 

Paul Newman GIF

10 hours ago, Red Five said:

The idea that we would sit Ewers to play Card is too ridiculous to spend words typing about it. The entire team appears to know who the starting QB is.

Every time I check in on the football board my mind is blown that real human beings are entertaining the idea that there is a legitimate QB competition.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 6/5/2022 at 8:59 AM, Codaxx said:

I think Ewers starts. It is because of his ability to throw the deep ball and also Sarks foray into the portal to grab speed at WR. Just my read, but I believe Sark is saying “We have to be able to throw a deep ball in 2022” based on his moves.  That said it is possible that Card improves and starts to let it go. He clearly has legit arm talent. I personally think he is too careful with the ball. I am sure someone will bring up the Kansas interception, because I said that. It’s Surly, so they will focus on his 1 interception in 83 attempts and forget the rest. Cards biggest issue is he will wait in the driveway until all the traffics lights are green. If the defense was a top 3 Big 12 unit and the run game could average 6+ per carry, I might pick Card to start. I don’t think anyone thinks that is likely. This team will need more of a play maker at QB, opposed to a game manager that limits mistakes 

These points right here. Card can throw and scramble a little bit, but he's way too hesitant with the ball. Make a decision and go, kid. Last year his hesitation reminded me a little of 2014 Tyrone Swoopes; hesitant with the ball a lot and if the first read wasn't there he would take off and run. 

IT Scoop:

By: Justin, Gerry, and Eric

Team notes

These brief notes stem from last week, we just caught up with a couple different sources.

— True freshman Brenen Thompson showed good hands in 7 on 7. On one route he elevated and had a hard landing but maintained possession. We know his speed will translate, and so too will his toughness, but we continue hearing about good route running and hands he’s going to be an excellent college receiver.

— Agiye Hall demonstrated his speed and talent. Like our Thompson report from Friday, he’s been doing damage on crossing routes. I seem to recall him making a big gain in the National Championship on one. Fellow transfer Tarique Milton is participating in workouts but we haven’t heard anything specific on him yet.

— Any early differences between this year and last year? “Team mentality. It’s a closer team with more accountability. People were willing to do whatever the coaches told them last year, but some would complain and that would influence others. They would go along with the program but weren’t necessarily bought in. There isn‘t any of that this year.” This quote harkens back to Ben Davis dotting a player who complaining too much about the coaches.

[That’s a reminder of the coaches making it very clear in the recruiting process that they’re going to coach hard. Especially in the age of NIL they don’t want players committing for the wrong reasons. This will sometimes manifest with the coaches not recruiting a player as hard as other schools]

— Any other differences? “Overall talent, especially in the wide receiver room. This team is very talented at receiver and of course running back.”

— How have the QB’s looked? “They’re making some nice throws, but it’s just 7 on 7 and the quarterbacks and receivers have the advantage right now.“

— This week’s schedule is the same as last week: M-W-F run and lift. T-TH full day of classroom, field work, and workouts. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/5/2022 at 8:59 AM, Codaxx said:

I think Ewers starts. It is because of his ability to throw the deep ball and also Sarks foray into the portal to grab speed at WR. Just my read, but I believe Sark is saying “We have to be able to throw a deep ball in 2022” based on his moves.  That said it is possible that Card improves and starts to let it go. He clearly has legit arm talent. I personally think he is too careful with the ball. I am sure someone will bring up the Kansas interception, because I said that. It’s Surly, so they will focus on his 1 interception in 83 attempts and forget the rest. Cards biggest issue is he will wait in the driveway until all the traffics lights are green. If the defense was a top 3 Big 12 unit and the run game could average 6+ per carry, I might pick Card to start. I don’t think anyone thinks that is likely. This team will need more of a play maker at QB, opposed to a game manager that limits mistakes 

if Ewers does not start Game 1 Sark has fucked up massively. Card is who we think he is at this point.

Card could get better, but how often do dudes who shit the bed as bad as he did last year pull it together and be above average starting quality QBs?

Ewers has a much higher ceiling that Card and at this point, idk if he could have a lower floor than Card.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, NoName said:

if Ewers does not start Game 1 Sark has fucked up massively. Card is who we think he is at this point.

Card could get better, but how often do dudes who shit the bed as bad as he did last year pull it together and be above average starting quality QBs?

Ewers has a much higher ceiling that Card and at this point, idk if he could have a lower floor than Card.

During his tour of the state in SA/Houston/Dallas he mentioned at one of the stops that he'd like to have a starter sooner than last year. I think the summer rule changes will only push that decision up. 

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Not that it matters now, but wasn't it speculated that the dude Ben Davis punched was Kerstetter? I thought I remember it being said it was a veteran offensive lineman. 

Yup, not sure if he was the guy but I assumed it was Kerstetter as well.  Basically implied that the veteran OL was complaining about the workouts.

So I'm very curious to see how Ajiye Hall does this summer and fall.  I know some posters here basically implied not to expect him to contribute or even be on the roster long term but this is a guy Sark needs to get in the starting line up asap.  I'm a huge JWhit fan but I think you're really going to stress defenses if you have Worthy and Neyor on the outside with Hall in the slot.  Those 3 guys are 4.4 or faster.  Neyor and Hall have size to go along with speed that make them huge mismatches.  Hall was a guy beating 1 on 1 matchups against the Bama DBs during their spring and he was wide open on a lot routes against UGA in the championship game.... as a freshman...

Edited by victory88

2 hours ago, victory88 said:

So I'm very curious to see how Ajiye Hall does this summer and fall.  I know some posters here basically implied not to expect him to contribute or even be on the roster long term but this is a guy Sark needs to get in the starting line up asap.  I'm a huge JWhit fan but I think you're really going to stress defenses if you have Worthy and Neyor on the outside with Hall in the slot.  Those 3 guys are 4.4 or faster.  Neyor and Hall have size to go along with speed that make them huge mismatches.  Hall was a guy beating 1 on 1 matchups against the Bama DBs during their spring and he was wide open on a lot routes against UGA in the championship game.... as a freshman...

we have an incoming freshman(Thompson I think) is maybe the fastest of them all isnt he? The practice reports have even said he runs great routes and has very good hands. Isnt that even on this same page? I dont drink as much as I used to so I cannot verify for sure.

23 hours ago, futureman said:

only one of them has played meaningful snaps on the road in a harsh SEC environment. that can’t be measured in recruiting stars or NIL dollars. that’s real world shit, and sark knows it. 

Only one of them has NOT shit his pants on the road in a harsh SEC environment 

4 hours ago, victory88 said:

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

I love it.  I’m hoping he has a killer year and heads to the league.  If he wasn’t made out of glass, I would use him like Alvin Kamara.  He was the best RB on the roster his freshman year and looked better than Ingram as a true freshman in practice.  With his running ability and ability to catch, he would be so dangerous in the backfield.  I still think Hall, if he can live up to his potential, would be a much better fit and deep threat in the slot.  He’s got NFL size right now.  

With that said, I’m loving where this WR roster is.  We went from a bunch of spares to a group with elite physical ability.  

Edited by victory88
  • Hook 'Em 4

On 6/5/2022 at 12:12 PM, Dbeasy said:

I haven’t written him off, but I can’t think of a great QB at Texas that did not show some sort of flash of that talent early in their college careers. I just haven’t noticed that from Card. With McCoy and Applewhite, you saw right away they were something special.  

I wrote off Card after he essentially scored more points for KU than he did for us.

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 6/5/2022 at 7:36 PM, gmr548 said:

Every time I check in on the football board my mind is blown that real human beings are entertaining the idea that there is a legitimate QB competition.

Only if you count Lake Travis people as real human beings

32 minutes ago, Burntcowboy said:

shit i got excited

With that in mind, here’s a look at what the two-deep offensive depth chart could look like for Sark and the Longhorns with the summer enrollees now on campus.

On 6/5/2022 at 2:34 PM, Codaxx said:

Yes, reminds me of Keontay Ingram. Only it’s is even worse for a QB, than a RB

On 6/5/2022 at 3:40 PM, USNALonghorn said:

I was thinking pre-SMU Garrett Gilbert.

was thinking Morenz and James Brown

1) Glad that Milton is okay!

(people die in those collisions all the time)

2) Someone (a car dealership?) should set up an NIL deal with Milton to talk to people about the dangers of drunk driving (obviously a non-profit opportunity hear) and perhaps have him drive a new car with signage on the side (large magnetic door signage). 

He could even use the vehicle’s safety features in his presentation to groups.

(He’s going to need a new set of wheels.)

• Hook 'Em 3

2) Someone (a car dealership?) should set up an NIL deal with Milton to talk to people about the dangers of drunk driving (obviously a non-profit opportunity hear) and perhaps have him drive a new car with signage on the side (large magnetic door signage). 

Dont give Thomas J Henry anymore ideas
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Red Five said:

Milton is seriously lucky to be alive. 

5 hours ago, Napoleon said:

JWhitt and Omeire don't understand how Milton walked away from a bad accident unscathed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 6/7/2022 at 12:38 PM, Napoleon said:

is he in a pickle?

• Hook 'Em 1

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic