TV evangelist wants $54M jet to fly nonstop & avoid demons

Armybrat

I thought this was an Onion article:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/louisiana-televangelist-seeks-donations-for-dollar54m-private-jet-report/ar-AAxX9x7?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=HPCDHP

A Louisiana-based televangelist is asking his followers to donate money for a $54 million jet that can “go anywhere in the world in one stop,” The Times-Picayune reported.  

Jesse Duplantis, 68, a Christian minister based in Destrehan, about 25 miles east of New Orleans, says his ministry has paid cash for three private jets.

“You know I’ve owned three different jets in my life and used them and used them and just burning them up for the Lord,” Duplantis says in a video posted to his ministries’ website.

Duplantis is now reportedly seeking the funds for a Dassault Falcon 7X, worth $54 million.

The problem with the previous jets, he says, is that they require multiple stops to refuel. But flying the Falcon 7X, Duplantis says, will allow him to save money and not pay “those exorbitant prices with jet fuel all over the world.”  

“I really believe that if Jesus was physically on the earth today, he wouldn’t be riding a donkey,” Duplantis says in the video, “He’d be in an airplane preaching the gospel all over the world.”

Duplantis’ video comes after another televangelist, Kenneth Copeland in Texas, purchased the Gulfstream V jet for $36 million.

Both televangelists defended their use of private jets during a joint appearance on Copeland’s program, saying that commercial airlines filled with “a bunch of demons” that get in the way of their busy schedules.

Edited by Armybrat

i have to give them credit for scamming people out of tens of millions of dollars. 

as long as its voluntary donation, i dont have a problem with it.  

well...except the fact that these frauds arent tax.   

tax em, and all will be good

You know I’ve owned three different jets in my life and used them and used them  ...

I'm no expert on this subject, but it really seems like this fellow has walked the walk and has the life experience necessary to really relate Jesus' teachings to the masses.

Edited by bernorange

3 hours ago, Dewey said:

Perfect example of the blind leading the blind.

He aint blind, he knows exactly what he is doing and it disgusts me.  

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

i have to give them credit for scamming people out of tens of millions of dollars. 

as long as its voluntary donation, i dont have a problem with it.  

well...except the fact that these frauds arent tax.   

tax em, and all will be good

This, if any church or organization runs for profit or gets involved with political causes, they need to pay taxes.  

• Like 2

Ha:  CSB / About 25 years ago I was at a sales conference / awards trip in NOLA that my then boss cooked up.  My boss was evangelical and he hired Duplantis to come give the keynote, motivation speak at our closing dinner.  I don't remember much about the speech other than when it was over his minions were walking the room passing out propaganda for some new foundation he was starting (to line his pockets).

I recall telling my wife that Duplatis was the love child of Justin Wilson and Jimmy Swaggart.

Haven't thought of him in years.  Figured he was in prison or selling used cars.....jokes on me clearly as I have to refuel in Paris or Buenos Aries.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Guess it's a good thing Duplantis hasn't heard of the Gulfstream 650ER.

Ol Creflo Dollar sure has heard of them. 

https://www.christianpost.com/news/creflo-dollar-will-get-70-million-gulfstream-g650-jet-says-church-world-changers-board-says-it-is-necessary-for-ministry-139858/

Edited by Lat22

14 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

i dont wanna say anything racist about this airplane's registration...

7453.jpg

Edited by 52-80

I grew up attending an Assemblies of God church.  Jesse Duplantis came to our church once or twice a year and held several services.  The place was always packed when he was there - I guess everyone wanted to come and see the fancy talking guy from the TV.   I can distinctly recall being 10-12 years old and my parents taking me out of the youth ministry service and letting me attend the adult sermon on a Sunday because Jesse Duplantis was in town.  It wasnt really a religious sermon so much as "entertainment."  He was just loud a strutting around and telling stories that people laughed at, I remember laughing at some of them.  Even at that age I remember thinking "what does this have to do with church?"  It was just a comedy act or a one man show. 

This was ~25 years ago - I'm surprised to hear he's only 68.  I would have guessed he was in his mid fifties then. 

I saw him once at my GF’s church circa 2000. I still remember him passing the plate multiple times for offerings. I was somewhere around 16 at the time and can still remember how turned off I was by the whole thing.