This months Trial of the Century Depp v Heard

Moby Ric

On 5/28/2022 at 6:56 PM, washparkhorn said:

The Atlantic with a somber note on the attention the case received in social media circles:

https://apple.news/A2k58qTnlSn-opsKaXoE9zw

Of course it's not a joke, but these are two overprivileged celebrities who both appear to be shitty people who had a shitty marriage. This is happening all over the fucking country right now to a bunch of nobodies with far worse consequences. This was a fucking side show and the saddest part to me is people who seem to care so much that they are watching in real time and actively cheering for one side or the other. Especially the Depp fans who seem to be treating this like a super bowl party. I've read a few articles because its everywhere and check in to this thread every now and then looking for memes because they're funny. Again, it's two overprivileged celebrities and I honestly don't feel for either of them. From a legal perspective, I don't think Depp wins on the merits. She said "domestic abuse" and it sounds like it's either not false or at most overstated. Considering they are both public figures, it takes a lot more to win a defamation or libel case. If he wins, its because the jury just hates her more than him, or there are Depp fanbois on the jury. Either way, he got what he wanted out of this, public humiliation for what sounds like a horrible spouse. To me, the poop memes will always be funny. The whole thing is tragic, but I truly don't give a fuck about either of them, seems like both will live out their lives in complete misery, and it's totally deserved.

• Like 4

On 5/28/2022 at 3:51 PM, SquishMitten said:

In that person’s defense, it was a pretty cringy misstatement by Camille.

Unless the inference was that Amber never thought she would have to face her abuser because she never acknowledged that she is, in fact, the abuser and thus, sees that abuser every time she looks in the mirror.  

44 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

The verdict IS in.....I'm guilty of laying pipe.

Objection, assumes facts not in evidence (existence of said pipe).

Objection, relevance (you'll never lay pipe with Amber, so it doesn't matter).

Objection, "best evidence rule" -- the actual best evidence would be you actually LAYING pipe, not just yammering about it.

Res ipsa loquitor.  Ultra vires.  Pro bono.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Objection, "best evidence rule" -- the actual best evidence would be you actually LAYING pipe, not just yammering about it.

(head bowed) I guess I'll go back over to the Food & Travel board.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

(head bowed) I guess I'll go back over to the Food & Travel board.

Or, step up your game....get outraged, flip over tables, commit some contempt of court......and get to laying some pipe.  Your call, dude.  You never struck me as a quitter.

E pluribus unum and semper fi, if do say so myself.

On 5/28/2022 at 4:56 PM, washparkhorn said:

The Atlantic with a somber note on the attention the case received in social media circles:

https://apple.news/A2k58qTnlSn-opsKaXoE9zw

This article, like way too much of the commentary on the whole trial, reeks of bias in favor of one party over the other.

And in that sense, it proves that the allegation alone is harmful, even when there is all evidence to the contrary and precious little - or even FAKED -- evidence in support.

I'm not a Depp fan / simp / Stan / Whatever. He can shove a broken coke bottle up his own asshole and shit it back out for all I care. But I struggle to grasp how anyone can look at this objectively and come to the conclusion that Heard was telling the truth. And this article's author either hasn't done that, or hasn't adjusted to the new information yet.

• Hook 'Em 4

I should have been more clear. I don’t care about either people involved, don’t “support” either side, and I think  the day to day circus is absurd. But I do have some interest in the legal claims and am a little curious about the outcome.  It’s everywhere and unavoidable so I necessarily find myself reading an article here and there so I find myself interested in that respect. It sounds like the statement at issue is her claim to have suffered “domestic abuse.” I thought originally it was specifically physical abuse, and maybe I’ve missed that so correct me if I’m wrong, but if that’s the case verbal abuse counts and it sounds like that part is plausible. Either way, remember libel and slander have high legal standards when dealing with public figures. I find that part interesting too as a practicing attorney.

If I’m the jury I’d likely tell them to both fuck off, award nothing to either, and ask the judge to sanction the parties for wasting 6 weeks of jurors time and judicial resources for their little fucked up marital spat. And if I’m the judge I’d do that anyway. Mob trials don’t take six weeks. I worked on a case involving 100 years of history, hundreds of thousands of documents, two dozen expert witnesses, and we were scheduled for 6 weeks. This comes off as a joke of a trial despite the seriousness of the allegations, and a waste of time purely for the vanity of these two egomaniacs. Fuck ‘em both.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Rimbo said:

This article, like way too much of the commentary on the whole trial, reeks of bias in favor of one party over the other.

And in that sense, it proves that the allegation alone is harmful, even when there is all evidence to the contrary and precious little - or even FAKED -- evidence in support.

I'm not a Depp fan / simp / Stan / Whatever. He can shove a broken coke bottle up his own asshole and shit it back out for all I care. But I struggle to grasp how anyone can look at this objectively and come to the conclusion that Heard was telling the truth. And this article's author either hasn't done that, or hasn't adjusted to the new information yet.

A fucking UK court ruled against him when he brought a libel claim about the same shit. It’s hard as hell to lose a libel case in the UK if you have anything resembling a decent claim. He lost because there’s pretty strong evidence that he assaulted her around a dozen times, with photographic evidence and corroborating witnesses for multiple instances. If you’re not getting your information about this case from shitty tiktoks or YouTube vids featuring fraudulent body language “experts,” the evidence and the law are strongly in her favor. 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

A fucking UK court ruled against him when he brought a libel claim about the same shit. It’s hard as hell to lose a libel case in the UK if you have anything resembling a decent claim. He lost because there’s pretty strong evidence that he assaulted her around a dozen times, with photographic evidence and corroborating witnesses for multiple instances. If you’re not getting your information about this case from shitty tiktoks or YouTube vids featuring fraudulent body language “experts,” the evidence and the law are strongly in her favor. 

spacer.png

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Steve Mcgarrett Tani Rey GIF by CBS

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

23 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

Verdict reached and will be read 2 CT...

See you then...

My guess is still 7M to Depp

I think the jury rules in his favor but may give him $1. (but I'll acknowledge I have only gotten second-hand takes)

As far as I can tell he's probably already won in the court of public opinion. Doesn't not exactly come across well, but Turd looks crazy enough and dishonest enough to not fully buy what she's selling.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

I think the jury rules in his favor but may give him $1. (but I'll acknowledge I have only gotten second-hand takes)

As far as I can tell he's probably already won in the court of public opinion. Doesn't not exactly come across well, but Turd looks crazy enough and dishonest enough to not fully buy what she's selling.

I think that's the second most likely scenario.

1. Both sides lose their claims and counterclaims.

2. Depp wins with nominal damages ($1).

And yeah, he's already got what he wanted out of this whole nonsense.

Edited by 'stache

14 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

This is sarcasm, right? The claims here vs. in the UK are quite a bit different when you break them down, and from what I understand, the laws are very different as well. And there isn't "strong" evidence that he assaulted her a dozen times, there's not even "good" evidence that he physically/sexually assaulted her a single time.

I say that as someone who watched most of the trial as I do all high profile cases. They're like CLEs for me. I enjoy watching and potentially learning from attorneys practicing at the highest levels.

• Hook 'Em 5