Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

36 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Meh, they can take WVU now and extend an offer to UConn fb who is now an independent (all sports-fb in the old Big East with Villanova/Georgetown and crew).  That would give them 16 with UConn in fb and 16 with ND in all sports-fb.

That way they project BDE as a 16 school super conference mimicking the SEC and ‘reserve’ a spot for ND fb if they ever agree to join.  Plus I saw some article that stated that they could renegotiate their TV payout which would likely get them more money,

It’s not about just getting to 16. It’s about bringing in names that will allow you to go to tv people and get more money. Neither WV or UConn do that for the ACC. If they did, the ACC would have taken WV years ago. WV settled for the B12 not because the B12 was the best fit but because they didn’t want to get left out of P5 status.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

No, it IS an 11 AM matchup, on ABC.

CBS is going away.  Disney is going to own the SEC rights.

And unless they change their policy, on ABC, the national timeslot is 11 AM.  Then they also, sometimes, have a national primetime game, but not every week.

Which is the point I continue making-- OU has only been getting the 11 AM games on ABC and Fox (national), because those are their marquee national time slots, and OU has been the best team in the B12 for the past decade.  It wasn't some conspiracy to screw the sooners.  They were being given the GOOD timeslots, as determined but the network broadcasters.

Obviously some fans don't like it, but that's why it was, the way it was.

I highly doubt SEC would allow ABC/ESPN to get the SEC Game of the Week then throw it on at 11am. I guess we'll see but the SEC probably wants to keep the same time spot that CBS had for decades. Or for all we know, ABC is about to have their primetime games be SEC Game of the Week and away from the rotating conferences, outside of when it's a home and home between a big name and an SEC home team. 

1 hour ago, Laxtonto said:

And think how fucking crazy this week would have been if dipshit aggy didn’t leak it last week…

The letter would have went out Monday and we would still be in the denial/anger stages for most of the local schools and press by the time we accepted today…

Can you imagine how aggy would have acted? 

It was definitely a net gain for aggy to have leaked.

6 minutes ago, utee94 said:

No, it IS an 11 AM matchup, on ABC.

CBS is going away.  Disney is going to own the SEC rights.

And unless they change their policy, on ABC, the national timeslot is 11 AM.  Then they also, sometimes, have a national primetime game, but not every week.

Which is the point I continue making-- OU has only been getting the 11 AM games on ABC and Fox (national), because those are their marquee national time slots, and OU has been the best team in the B12 for the past decade.  It wasn't some conspiracy to screw the sooners.  They were being given the GOOD timeslots, as determined by the network broadcasters.

Obviously some fans don't like it, but that's why it was, the way it was.

So CBS is totally out?  Actually I kind of like their football coverage.   

25 minutes ago, mchookem said:

my beef with 11am games, at least the past decade, is that i drown my football sorrows, so i'm drunk as shit by 2pm, passed out by 3, and hungover with a massive headache by 6pm on a saturday night! 

one of the Maryland games...my niece decided to 'drop in' unexpectedly at about 2:30pm...and found me naked in the pool unable to talk without slurring and i couldnt even explain why 😄

not my finest moment as her stalwart role model aunt 😳😜

OR was it?

And may I say on behalf of Surly that I have never found you more attractive!

• Haha 2

This is the only game where I prefer an 11:00 kick. The fair is a madhouse by noon with a 2:30 kickoff.

By 10, you have to start matriculating near the Cotton Bowl. If by 1030, you’re not getting in line, you wont be in your seat by 11.

Fuck that waking up at 645 bullshit!

9 minutes ago, hook me said:

So can we go back to hating OUsux now or do we still have to act like we like them until the buyout is figured out or, worse, until we actually join the SEC?

I do have to say, I don't like the scenario where we pay blowUs buyout with ESPN money unless it is some sort of loan, even interest free. Surely they can get financing against their campus meth labs and Dildo factory to get them there. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, PencilPusher said:

So after easily the wildest week to 10 days in offseason history, some random thoughts on what I've seen:

1. A&M has pretty much been on brand during this entire process which is the brand they've been trying to hide from everyone by cloaking themselves in all things SEC. Who knew that the "100 year decision" meant the amount of time it would take them to change that brand perception. I'm not a PR strategist or anything but here's a small hint...you might want to not have such a close affiliation with jock sniffing peddlers of athletic fan fiction. Course it will take them a generation before they realize that TexAgs and its ilk might not be the best purveyors of image and brand a school could have.

2. Anyone with an objective view can now see why Texas and Oklahoma are getting the fuck out of Dodge. The Ir8te seem to have been caught napping in their trailers even though the tornado warning was going off for some time (in the form of the media partners not wanting to discuss an extension). If there was any BDE amongst the group, they would have had that plan B ready to execute which could have made the conference more viable and given more leverage in negotiations with UT and OU exiting. But the events of the past week clearly show that UT and OU are getting out at the lower end of the range since most of the leverage is now on UT/OU/ESPN's side. Contracts are great...leverage matters more.

3. The Big 10 done fucked up if it is true they were approached first. Turning up their nose at OU shifted all the power in CFB to the south and now could accelerate the superconference race they didn't want to see. You think Ohio State, which was almost screwed by the current Big 10 administration in 2020, is happy that their access to high level Texas talent is now largely shut off and their ability to compete with the SEC schools in the football national championship game has taken a big hit. Jim Delaney would have gotten that deal done...Kevin Warren is now persona non grata in Ohio and could be elsewhere soon.

4. Pac-12's commissioner is borked before he's even gotten started...hope they are paying you well and you have a nice golden parachute. Hell if the SEC wants to further class up the place (after our admission of course) and really stir the pot, make a play for Stanford-their non football athletics are certainly SEC quality!

1.  I was hoping it would be another 10 years before we played aggy in football again.  So every aggy student was born after the last time we played them.  And all those 60s/earlier fanatical aggies were at least 80 years old.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Pancho said:

It’s not about just getting to 16. It’s about bringing in names that will allow you to go to tv people and get more money. Neither WV or UConn do that for the ACC. If they did, the ACC would have taken WV years ago. WV settled for the B12 not because the B12 was the best fit but because they didn’t want to get left out of P5 status.

I don't think WVU to the ACC will ever happen, but at least you can make an argument for it. uconn?? Uconn doesn't even want uconn. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I highly doubt SEC would allow ABC/ESPN to get the SEC Game of the Week then throw it on at 11am. I guess we'll see but the SEC probably wants to keep the same time spot that CBS had for decades. Or for all we know, ABC is about to have their primetime games be SEC Game of the Week and away from the rotating conferences, outside of when it's a home and home between a big name and an SEC home team. 

I mean, maybe? But you're making a pretty big assumption there.  Back in the early 2000s, ABC moved the national game timeslot from 2:30 to 11 AM, for a reason.  Their research showed them there were actually more eyeballs for the early games.  By the afternoon, part of their audience had to get on with honey-dos or whatever else they had going on for the weekend.

And they've kept their national game at 11 AM for the two decades since.

It's possible things have changed, but if so I would have expected them to switch up their timeslots again.  CBS clearly didn't take the same position, but they probably also figured that their marquee SEC games were going to get the eyeballs anyway.  And they're probably right about that.  Which means ABC can put the games whenever they want, and the audience will still be there.

3 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

So CBS is totally out?  Actually I kind of like their football coverage.   

Yes, CBS is out and ABC in, for SEC Tier1.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/12/10/sec-espn-abc-tv-contract-leaving-cbs

34 minutes ago, mchookem said:

my beef with 11am games, at least the past decade, is that i drown my football sorrows, so i'm drunk as shit by 2pm, passed out by 3, and hungover with a massive headache by 6pm on a saturday night! 

one of the Maryland games...my niece decided to 'drop in' unexpectedly at about 2:30pm...and found me naked in the pool unable to talk without slurring and i couldnt even explain why 😄

drunk niece scissoring pics not loading

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Meh, they can take WVU now and extend an offer to UConn fb who is now an independent (all sports-fb in the old Big East with Villanova/Georgetown and crew).  That would give them 16 with UConn in fb and 16 with ND in all sports-fb.

That way they project BDE as a 16 school super conference mimicking the SEC and ‘reserve’ a spot for ND fb if they ever agree to join.  Plus I saw some article that stated that they could renegotiate their TV payout which would likely get them more money,

Nobody wants UConn football to be Division 1, I doubt UConn itself wants to be D1. I don't think that will happen. I'd bet they don't last long as a D1 Indy program, unless they look something like the MAC. Otherwise, time to deemphasize the program. It's too expensive to just go out and get clobbered each week. This year they are scheduled to play Fresno, Purdue, Army, Vandy, Middle Tennessee, Clemson, UCF and Houston. I don't see much success there. 

It's a basketball school.

I have no idea what to expect with WVU and the ACC. One part of me wants them in, another part wants nothing to do with them.

1 hour ago, RollLeft said:

Fk you Jay, you magnificent nerd bastard!  CDC is a salesman and every sales guy knows that the best time to make a sale is when you just made a sale.  Ride that wave CDC!  Get back to work!!!

Notable that Deloss Dodds, KSU athlete, alum and AD, was willing to leave them behind on the way to the Pac 16.

CDC, former TCU AD, leaves TCU behind on his way to the SEC 16.

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, mchookem said:

Pics or it didn't happen.  I'll settle for the reenactment.

42 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Word.

I certainly prefer the 2:30 kicks.  But if I must adapt and have my waxcup beer and corn dog at 8 AM, then I'll do it.  I'll make that sacrifice.

For Texas, I will.

You are as brave as Davy Crockett, James Bowie, and William B. Travis!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Yep.   Breakfast tailgating isn’t fun if you can make one at all.  Beer doesn’t go well with huevos rancheros.       

Uh breakfast tailgating is super easy and there’s much better options than beer.  Irish up that coffee or Bloody Mary bar with your huevos rancheros 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Ur welcome. Just trying to do my part. Lol.

Was looking back at old pics with my Dad and not realizing just a few short years after I graduated he would pass away. He would have loved this moment. Since he probably wouldn’t be on the internet he’d be calling into the Finebaum show laughing his ass off. 

Those of you from that wonderful Urban Meyer unicorn of thread would remember…but my Panhandle Peep is absolutely loving ever minute of this. 

F18C6F90-831E-4936-A901-E98A679DD972.jpeg

d486078ae62ffaa4fba99c36eba1d261.gif

With that said....I lost my dad in 2000.

So this post hits close to home.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I mean, maybe? But you're making a pretty big assumption there.  Back in the early 2000s, ABC moved the national game timeslot from 2:30 to 11 AM, for a reason.  Their research showed them there were actually more eyeballs for the early games.  By the afternoon, part of their audience had to get on with honey-dos or whatever else they had going on for the weekend.

And they've kept their national game at 11 AM for the two decades since.

It's possible things have changed, but if so I would have expected them to switch up their timeslots again.  CBS clearly didn't take the same position, but they probably also figured that their marquee SEC games were going to get the eyeballs anyway.  And they're probably right about that.  Which means ABC can put the games whenever they want, and the audience will still be there.

Oh, it's definitely happening as far as SEC games on ABC Primetime:

This week, ESPN announced it had signed a 10-year deal with the SEC, starting in 2024, and it will cost $3 billion and provides the network with exclusive rights to broadcast SEC football and men’s basketball. A further breakdown of the numbers reveals ESPN will be paying the conference approximately $20 million per college football weekend. 

In addition to the weekly afternoon telecast, the ESPN/ABC family will now own the rights to all SEC football games because Disney also owns 80% of the SEC Network. According to the SEC, this will allow the top conference games to now be featured on prime time network television.

“So Saturday night, prime time on ABC is the highest-profile window, the biggest stage in terms of college football. And we love the fact that we can now bring the ABC platform into the mix, starting in 2024,” ESPN Chairman Jimmy Pitaro told AP.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Disagree, getting to 16 will be the new 14.  Two conferences that didn’t go to to 14 are the Big12 and PAC12 and look what is happening.  The ACC is also under ESPN’s thumb and having the SEC/ACC setup voting along the same lines (due to their own self interest) with 32 teams under their banners is valuable.  Taking the long view on this and the SEC/ACC could be the first conferences to breakaway from the NCAA and start their own fb/bb playoffs.  The ACC almost lost their spot in the power 5 10 years ago when the B1G/PAC paired off in the Rose and the SEC/B12 paired off in the Sugar, they had to make a deal with the Orange to take the ACC OR ND and then make a deal with both the SEC and B1G to get that guaranteed big time bowl bid.  By jumping to 16 and partnering with the SEC they tell the cfb world that they will not be going to that if the Big East or Big 12 and even if they lose a few they’ll have enough quality teams to keep completing…and West Virginia adds to that theme.

WVU brings good football (top 20 all time iirc) and basketball, has good attendance and draws eyeballs when on TV (I think they were 3rd in the remaining B12 after OSU and ISU) plus they have rivalries with a few ACC schools already like Pitt and VT which gives them bonus points.  Yes, small state, yes, not great academics but there is no one else available that has West Virginia’s resume outside of Norte Dame.

UConn is shit, they are just there to help scheduling and to reserve ND’s spot.  They don’t have to pay them a full share of the TV dollars or include them in ND’s scheduling agreement, but their academics are good and they bring/help bring the NE market which pairs well with Syracuse and BC.

Boys, I can't help but feel a seismic shift in "who has hand."

When aggy was accepted into the SEC, I imagine the thinking was long these lines, " Ok boys, there is a recruiting rich environment in the State of Texas and we are not getting enough of them. There are a lot of television sets in Houston too. Let's go after them. 

So, they naturally look at aggy. And the SEC knows that aggy has not finished in the top 4 in football, basketball nor baseball since before the North Koreans poured over the 38th parallel. aggy has a massive inferiority complex and will be just the type of cuckold puppet we need. They won't challenge our national power programs and they will put the conference above their own needs. And... we can screw with Texas a little bit. And so .... aggy gets the invitation. And it works out exactly like the SEC thought it would.  aggy trumpets the conference, doesn't even win their own division, and they don't see that the SEC is humping their wife every time aggy goes out into the sheep fields.

With Texas ... there is a different narrative. Texas brings to the SEC a national brand. It bolsters the SEC's bankroll and makes negotiations with the SEC's Sith Lord and Master, the Mouse, a bit easier. BUT, for the mighty SEC there is a downside. Whereas, aggy wasn't much of a threat to go into Alabama, Mississippi and Georgia to poach recruits... we are... and will. After all, "How ya gonna keep 'em down on the Farm after they've seen Paree? (or Austin)" They are bringing the wealthiest and now, most successful athletic program into the SEC.

Undoubtedly, there have been talks about conference championship games rotating with some being played in Texas.... something the SEC did not even have to consider when the cuckold puppet joined.

As Japanese Admiral Yamamoto wrote in his diary, "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant ... and filled him with a terrible resolve."

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Oh, it's definitely happening as far as SEC games on ABC Primetime:

Oh yeah, for sure.  ABC has already been doing a lot of primetime games.  

But in a conference that has Texas, Alabama, OU, LSU, Florida, and Georgia, there's gonna be a lot of competition for that primetime slot.  Maybe ABC will do it every week.  They don't currently, but maybe they will.  Still, that leaves a lot of marquee names out of the primetime game.

And the next national slot, on ABC, is 11 AM.

2 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

I don't know if CTJ's little anecdote is true or not but that reaction is going on across the state.  Individuals and institutions are having a full blown come to jesus meeting about their lot in life.  Self awareness and self reflection can be difficult for folks to process.  Harbinger of what's to come for lots of individuals and institutions outside of universities, imo.

And 2:30 kickoffs will be the norm for Texas and Oklahoma starting next year, praise Jesus

My anecdote was real and happened this morning. I didn't fire her and she didn't get in trouble, but it was amusing and I was surprised by it. To your point, there are a lot of folks really pissed off right now and taking things in very personal ways. I have multiple tech friends who are fucking angry right now. I haven't spoken to any aggie friends lately, but I can't wait to hear their spin when I do.

2 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

Based on this, I'm assuming you fired her? If not, you should.

Ha, I'm not really Mr. Potter. She's fresh out of school and a good worker. Y'all don't want to see pics. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Came into the office today, usually get in early and it's relatively empty. New chick that just graduated a few months ago from TCU is also here.

Next thing I know, she's fucking spitting fire at me about Texas" "ruining college athletics and I hope you guys lose every game in every sport for the rest of your lives! you couldn't handle losing to us every year so you grabbed your balls and went home!"

"We don't grab balls. You're thinking of the aggies. When they did that last, you fell ass backwards into this dumpster fire of a conference. You just got to take advantage of the worst decade in Texas football history and we still have a record of like 60-20 against your program. You should be thanking Texas for that last glimmer of relevance and figuring out how to help elevate the AAC to an autobid conference after it dismantles the Big 12 and hopefully, for you, grabs TCU in doing so. Regardless, you're welcome, and maybe we'll schedule y'all as a cupcake sometime in the nonconference."

Then she literally screamed at me about "not going to the fucking AAC! the SEC should be inviting us!!"

These people aren't just losing their shit online. They're also coming unhinged in-person. In any event, like TCU, I'm sure she'll be landing on her feet somewhere decent soon anyway.

Did you drop one of these on her....

45iT.gif

5 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

are we talking 2am-don't-want-to-see or bag-over-her-head-don't-want-to-see

this is a very forgiving crowd

and i thought roach had admission standards for talent

I can read a room, and I know Surly's tastes, and yes, y'all are fine without pics. Nevermind the HR absurdity that would risk of my dumbass taking pics in the office in the first place. Who am I? Burt?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

office conversations have been fine overall. Tech guy (not a graduate himself, but his kids are all Tortilla Tossers) was 100% convinced it was "Pac 12!" for them, but he's kind of dejectedly accepted AAC or Big 12+AAC.

I feel a little bad that that story makes me happy.

just a little tho.

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I can read a room, and I know Surly's tastes, and yes, y'all are fine without pics. Nevermind the HR absurdity that would risk of my dumbass taking pics in the office in the first place. Who am I? Burt?

Sounds like you need an assistant…

On 7/24/2021 at 1:01 PM, clapclapclap said:

Pretty sure that isn't the old Mizzou poster.  The old Mizzou is still here (under a new name), still posting voluminously, and still the professional muleheaded contrarian.

Yep that's not me.

18 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Okay, our first SEC Championship is in:

A) Football

B) Basketball

C) Baseball

I'm guessing it's B, followed a couple of months later by C.

I would have to think that realistically, baseball is where Texas can be immediately in the mix.  It seems baseball can spin on a year's notice anyway, and Texas already has a good team.  But, as said above, almost all of the teams in the SEC can brag on baseball teams.  It is the best of the best.

Basketball may show success early as quick turnaround teams with portal, etc.  Beard is a good coach, but SEC is underrated most years.  The Big12-SEC challenge should show it is solid without the fanfare other leagues get.  We have been seen as an "athletic" league.  But look at Kentucky on most years, Arkansas (who beat Beard in the tourney this year), LSU with their talent, Alabama  if they can sustain what they did this year, Florida usually, and a few others, it is not necessarily a given for Texas to come in an be great immediately.

Football.  I believe Texas will be ok, at least eventually, but will need to shore up recruiting on offensive and defensive lines.  However, you hired a coach who has seen what the program needs to be built for sec success.   Just depends on if he can do what he knows needs to be done.

Edited by iamjethro

Lots of my family went to Tech. They are not happy. But honestly, it is the uncertainty of not knowing what conference/schedule etc…not one of them was happy with Leach being fired.

But the vast majority of my family went to UT so…while I know they aren’t happy they aren’t saying exactly how they feel (to me at least.) 

6BAF4818-2FE0-4F9F-873B-0F6740564887.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

20 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Disagree, getting to 16 will be the new 14.  Two conferences that didn’t go to to 14 are the Big12 and PAC12 and look what is happening.  The ACC is also under ESPN’s thumb and having the SEC/ACC setup voting along the same lines (due to their own self interest) with 32 teams under their banners is valuable.  Taking the long view on this and the SEC/ACC could be the first conferences to breakaway from the NCAA and start their own fb/bb playoffs.  The ACC almost lost their spot in the power 5 10 years ago when the B1G/PAC paired off in the Rose and the SEC/B12 paired off in the Sugar, they had to make a deal with the Orange to take the ACC OR ND and then make a deal with both the SEC and B1G to get that guaranteed big time bowl bid.  By jumping to 16 and partnering with the SEC they tell the cfb world that they will not be going to that if the Big East or Big 12 and even if they lose a few they’ll have enough quality teams to keep completing…and West Virginia adds to that theme.

WVU brings good football (top 20 all time iirc) and basketball, has good attendance and draws eyeballs when on TV (I think they were 3rd in the remaining B12 after OSU and ISU) plus they have rivalries with a few ACC schools already like Pitt and VT which gives them bonus points.  Yes, small state, yes, not great academics but there is no one else available that has West Virginia’s resume outside of Norte Dame.

UConn is shit, they are just there to help scheduling and to reserve ND’s spot.  They don’t have to pay them a full share of the TV dollars or include them in ND’s scheduling agreement, but their academics are good and they bring/help bring the NE market which pairs well with Syracuse and BC.

And I disagree with this.  The ACC is already behind as it relates to money per school compared to the Big 10 and the SEC.  Disney isn’t going to pay the ACC the money the Big 10 or SEC is making per school just because they added WVU.  With Texas and OU, the SEC could make damn near $70 million per school.  Right now the ACC schools make what $35 million each?  You think adding WVU is going to get them anywhere close to $60-70 million per school?  

The ACC needs brands—not just holes to fill. If the ACC added WVU and UConn, they would be realigning just because everyone else is, not because those brands bring them more Disney money, which is what they are after. The ACC can go bold with adding brands to its conference that will increase $$$ per school, but adding WV ain’t it.  If it was, they would have been ACC bound the last realignment instead of Syracuse. 

If Bowlsby was smart, he’d go after Pac 12 teams and offer them additional revenue share to defect.  Instead of being the conference that implodes, he could cause the PAC to die in a fire.  But he’s not smart.

Take UT/OU money and give it to USC/Oregon/AU/ASU to come.

20 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Does any other team’s primary local media representative enjoy trolling them as much as Bohls does? Just absurd that we have to put up with this shit.

KB could have his own 'of hate' thread here. Look how accurate he is.

Meanwhile in reality "SEC unanimously votes to invite Texas, Oklahoma; Big 12's Bob Bowlsby 'disappointed"

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31913980/sec-unanimously-votes-invite-texas-oklahoma-join-conference

Edited by n64ra
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, iamjethro said:

I would have to think that realistically, baseball is where Texas can be immediately in the mix.  It seems baseball can spin on a year's notice anyway, and Texas already has a good team.  But, as said above, almost all of the teams in the SEC can brag on baseball teams.  It is the best of the best.

Basketball may show success early as quick turnaround teams with portal, etc.  Beard is a good coach, but SEC is underrated most years.  The Big12-SEC challenge should show it is solid without the anfare other leagues get.  We have been seen as an "athletic" league.  But look at Kentucky on most years, Arkansas (who beat Beard in the tourney this year), LSU with their talent, Alabama  if they can sustain what they did this year, Florida usually, and a few others, it is not necessarily a given for Texas to come in an be great immediately.

Football.  I believe Texas will be ok, at least eventually, but will need to shore up recruiting on offensive and defensive lines.  However, you hired a coach who has seen what the program needs to be built for sec success.   Just depends on if he can do what he knows needs to be done.

The SEC is not underrated in basketball. It is considered the weakest of the P6 conferences in basketball because it is the weakest. Quick check using Massey Composite of the SEC's rank out of the P6 (including Big East) in basketball.

2021 - 4
2020 - 6
2019 - 3
2018 - 2
2017 - 5
2016 - 6
2015 - 5
2014 - 6
2013 - 6
2012 - 4

One good two year blip but basically just the weakest of the P6 over time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, elnimo said:

If Bowlsby was smart, he’d go after Pac 12 teams and offer them additional revenue share to defect.  Instead of being the conference that implodes, he could cause the PAC to die in a fire.  But he’s not smart.

The only Pac 12 teams that would want that are the Arizonas, maybe. Now that Texas and OU are out, USC and Oregon aren't going to want to deal with the leftovers. There's no money in coming over to the Big 12. The Pac 12 teams would have to buy out their GOR which is 2024. The Pac is more likely to get a better deal with Fox now that the Big 12 money will be freed up after 2025.  

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, elnimo said:

Yeah but it's Bowlsby, so his invites with his terrible signature would end up going to Cal State University, Los Angeles / Portland State / Northern Arizona / Grand Canyon University by mistake.  

And then he'd issue a scathing letter to the US Postal Service for conspiring with ESPN to take down the Big 12.