2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

closetojumping

I apologize if this was posted here already. I found this interesting and portal related. Colorado recently changed its transfer requirements for Deion. Just shows how big of an issue the portal has become.

https://www.cbsnews.com/colorado/news/university-colorado-change-transfer-process-deion-sanders-hire-buffaloes-ncaa/

Edited by Codaxx

1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

Lincoln Riley might be the most odious person in college sports right now

59 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

I despise the man, but I do appreciate his single-handed demolition of his former employer. 

It's nice to know that routinely hiring pieces of shit came back to burn them even if only once. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Mack Brown makes tampering claim with regard to Drake Maye: https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/North-Carolina-football-Mack-Brown-says-QB-Drake-Maye-turned-down-a-whole-lot-of-money-to-stay-with-team-200898770/?fbclid=IwAR3bciZ-y4Z6qNzXI8gOBeWUJWtH53xZ4fZIucKVuXOIamKevh0BCLgaVuE

"I can't say (who they are), and don't ask Drake," Brown said of the alleged offenders. "You know who they are. Just look at all the ones who are getting all the top recruits."

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Kwix said:

Does anyone really think that any school is going to get in trouble for recruiting violations at this point?

From the NCAA? No.

From a hazier, informal coalition of coaches? A gentlemen’s agreement, let’s say? Not impossible. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Newy25 said:

I haven’t attended a corporate meeting in years and I never intend to the rest of my life. These trips are purely my wife planning on being away from cold Chicago and her informing me where she and her friends all decided to go. I didn’t even know if we were on a resort or at a house last week until the day we left. 

Next week is with the group of friends that drinks even more (if that’s even humanly possible) at the same place in Cabo of my infamous McRib post in the Urban  thread. I was black out drunk and stoned at the time and I fully intend on being in a similar state. So hopefully something good or crazy happens to Texas next week. 

You are a brave man getting stoned in Mexico.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Aren't we in a dead period now? Or does that not apply to transfers

Believe the rule for transfers is different but not 100% sure. Quick twitter search came up with this:

Dead Periods apply to high schoolers, 2-years or 4-years. During this time, coaches can call 2023s & transfers + communicate via “electronic correspondence” to ‘23s, ‘24s & transfers. There is a Quiet Period (on-campus recruiting only) for midyear transfers Jan. 4-8

8 minutes ago, ATXhorn17 said:

Hmm, seems risky… Maybe the staff snags Catalon as a lottery ticket — hoping that Derek Williams can play in case of emergency? 

Hypothetically, we should be able to field a competent safety group at minimum out of Thompson, Catalon, Allen, Brice, Taaffe, Williams and Crawford. And that's without factoring in any corners or nickels moving to safety.

Obviously Catalon carries some risk, but I would consider someone like Agiye Hall a 'lottery ticket'. A guy with all the talent in the world but little production to show for it. Catalon has shown what type of player he is when he's on the field.

Edited by Hookem2147

6 hours ago, ATXhorn17 said:

My pitch to Evan:

You clearly love attention. If you transfer from A&M to Texas, you’ll quickly become the most talked about/polarizing players in college football. And that’ll translate to more tik tok followers plus a Lamborghini.

Added bonus — you won’t ever have to step foot in the Dixie Chicken again.

Dixie Chicken let's him in?

14 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Awkward

Spoiler

Over the weekend, Arkansas S Jalen Catalon entered his name into the portal.

The former highly coveted safety prospect figured to be a prospect that the Longhorns would pursue given his production and former familiarity with the program.

I connected with a source over the weekend who indicated the Longhorns would have quite a battle on their hands to land the talented safety.

The source mentioned it is very likely Catalon remains in the SEC with Ole Miss being the team they are watching the closest at the moment. Though if there was a team that could sway him, it would be Texas.

Catalon is very close with Ole Miss S coach Sam Carter who spent the previous two years in Fayetteville with Catalon. That is going to be the relationship to watch moving forward in this portal-cruitment.

I believe it is an uphill battle moving forward but there will be some reassessing following the holidays.

Update (5:59 p.m.)

Catalon posted on his Instagram story that he is in Austin, Texas.

However, we are unsure if the visit is going to be football related.

TFB heard over the weekend SMU was going to be in a position to make a play for Catalon as well. In fact, the way it was worded leads me to believe Texas won’t be as persistent in this recruitment as the visit south would intend most to believe

Edited by Okcool
  • Haha 2

Any chance they do it like the pros and he’s getting a full physical right now? MRI and all that good stuff

Unless rules have changed with the Transfer Portal, schools can request medical records and the player can provide as much as they want to. The school and their staff can review it all and even request to talk to his previous docs and staff. No one who formerly treated him has to say anything negative or positive though. I actually think he can do more imaging and outside opinions on his own and provide a “recommendation” - like how many players are medically disqualified from one school and pop up somewhere else.

3 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

giphy.gif

Dear Coach Traylor,

I like you, but you need to accept the fact that you now coach the equivalent of a AAA baseball team with all of your players being free agents every offseason.  Over the next 3-5 years some equilibrium will be established, but until then buckle up, it’s gonna be a bumpy ride.

• Like 1

Just now, conVINCEd said:

Dear Coach Traylor,

I like you, but you need to accept the fact that you now coach the equivalent of a AAA baseball team with all of your players being free agents every offseason.  Over the next 3-5 years some equilibrium will be established, but until then buckle up, it’s gonna be a bumpy ride.

What does that matter? Players are being poached from other p5's as well. He has a valid point.

• Hook 'Em 4