2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

closetojumping

7 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

What's the timeline on recovery from that?  Would he be able to go through spring ball?

Arky was anticipating him to be ready for spring ball according to an interview with Pittman in October. No clue if that's still the case but I'd imagine he would be in a non-contact jersey wherever he is this fall spring while learning whichever defense he'll be starting for next year.

Edited by hook me
  • Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

A little bizarre - Catalon isn't actually in the portal but Sam Pittman said he's leaning towards the portal. Weird for a coach to say that publicly.

So he can tell high school recruits there will be a starting spot open.

13 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

A little bizarre - Catalon isn't actually in the portal but Sam Pittman said he's leaning towards the portal. Weird for a coach to say that publicly.

I view it as putting public pressure on boosters, etc to help convince Catalon to stay

3 hours ago, Mother mopar said:
6 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:
What's the timeline on recovery from that?  Would he be able to go through spring ball?

Had both of my shoulders reconstructed; usable and functional strength in 6 months. Real feel, like nothing ever happened, closer to a year.

Lol dude no offense, but if you’re posting here this ain’t apples/apples….

• Like 1

Article on Catalon detailing some of his injury history 

https://www.bestofarkansassports.com/arkansas-football-jalen-catalon-injury-update-impact-2022/

A four-star recruit and top-250 overall prospect coming out of Mansfield Legacy in the 2019 class, Catalon was heavily recruited and likely would have been ranked higher had he not suffered a torn ACL in the first game of his senior season.

Even with the injury, former coach Chad Morris mentioned Catalon alongside the likes of Vince Young as one of the best recruits he’d ever seen in Texas. Despite that high praise and having a solid fall camp in which he had multiple pick-six interceptions, the Razorbacks failed to get him significant reps as a freshman.

In his first three collegiate appearances, Catalon played only a handful of snaps, with most coming on kneel downs or special teams. Because the coaching staff had botched the new redshirt rule, he was shut down after getting significant reps against Western Kentucky and playing well. It was eventually revealed that he was hampered by a slight tear in his labrum that required surgery.

Sam Pittman ended up reaping the benefits, as Catalon had a breakout 2020 season in which he made 99 tackles and three interceptions, earning All-SEC and Freshman All-American accolades.

There was talk of Catalon being a first-round pick after his redshirt sophomore season, and it started off on a high note with two interceptions in the opener against Rice, but that was derailed by injuries.

A broken hand likely contributed to Catalon not coming down with an interception or two against Ole Miss and then it was revealed he once again had a “tear” in his shoulder that required season-ending surgery.

Even after missing the second half of the regular season and the bowl game, there was a chance Catalon could declare for the draft and begin his NFL career, but instead, he opted to return for a fourth season with the Razorbacks. Unfortunately, it ended the same as his first and third — with shoulder surgery.

Article on Catalon detailing some of his injury history 
https://www.bestofarkansassports.com/arkansas-football-jalen-catalon-injury-update-impact-2022/

A four-star recruit and top-250 overall prospect coming out of Mansfield Legacy in the 2019 class, Catalon was heavily recruited and likely would have been ranked higher had he not suffered a torn ACL in the first game of his senior season.

Even with the injury, former coach Chad Morris mentioned Catalon alongside the likes of Vince Young as one of the best recruits he’d ever seen in Texas. Despite that high praise and having a solid fall camp in which he had multiple pick-six interceptions, the Razorbacks failed to get him significant reps as a freshman.

In his first three collegiate appearances, Catalon played only a handful of snaps, with most coming on kneel downs or special teams. Because the coaching staff had botched the new redshirt rule, he was shut down after getting significant reps against Western Kentucky and playing well. It was eventually revealed that he was hampered by a slight tear in his labrum that required surgery.

Sam Pittman ended up reaping the benefits, as Catalon had a breakout 2020 season in which he made 99 tackles and three interceptions, earning All-SEC and Freshman All-American accolades.

There was talk of Catalon being a first-round pick after his redshirt sophomore season, and it started off on a high note with two interceptions in the opener against Rice, but that was derailed by injuries.

A broken hand likely contributed to Catalon not coming down with an interception or two against Ole Miss and then it was revealed he once again had a “tear” in his shoulder that required season-ending surgery.

Even after missing the second half of the regular season and the bowl game, there was a chance Catalon could declare for the draft and begin his NFL career, but instead, he opted to return for a fourth season with the Razorbacks. Unfortunately, it ended the same as his first and third — with shoulder surgery.

Yeah, I read this story and the first name that pops into my head is “Vince Young.”

Gimme a fucking break…
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Google says full recovery for labral repair is 4+ months.  Catalon had his surgery Oct 17th.

I had a labrum repair and it was a year before I was full strength. That was 15 years ago, though, and I’m guessing the physical therapy I got was substandard by UT’s standards.