2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

closetojumping

57 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Yeah, I don't think most people realize how few are on full rides in the non-revenue generating sports. Even baseball has a lot of partials

baseball specifically is 11.7 celebrations scholarships divided up against more than 27 players with no single player getting less than 0.25 of a scholarship.

image.png.0dbad13b0c6a83026f742c5a9f818f93.png

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

This stuff will continue to be an issue in the NIL/portal era

NFL players complained about Rookie pay and negotiated a labor deal to cap that. Kids are learning free agents get more money and some positions are more valuable than others. This is typical professional athlete bitching. it was only a matter of time until it hit college

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, NoName said:

baseball specifically is 11.7 celebrations divided up against more than 27 players with no single player getting less than 0.25 of a scholarship.

image.png.0dbad13b0c6a83026f742c5a9f818f93.png

My daughter played D1 softball and their scholarship situation is fucked up. Same 11.7 as baseball, divided amongst 25-30 kids. Pitchers and then big hitters get rewarded with full rides while everyone else gets what amounts to book money. Daughter had 28 offers out of high school (as a catcher with a big bat) and ended up signing with an OVC school in Kentucky because they offered her full ride money. She turned down Florida, Alabama, Ga Tech among others. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

It depends on the players

His public bitching about finding a 3rd WR and portal actions are pretty solid evidence he wants 3 WRs on the field in base.  He is known for his RPO spread offense. Having Ruggs, Juedy, and Smith made that easy. Texas has had issues at OL and WR during his time here, so there has been more 12 personnel. It made sense to focus on Bijan and the run game with the passing game being so erratic last year. Last year was a departure from his preferred offense. 

We'll never know for sure, but I wouldn't assume that AD Mitchell wasn't going to be a starter for Georgia, even with the portal additions and the team majoring in 12 personnel. He scored TDs in two playoff games as a true freshman, has scored TDs in four playoff games total, and has TDs vs Bama, Ohio State, Meat Chicken, Oregon, TCU, Auburn, and South Carolina.

Sark moves WRs around a lot and they frequently play multiple spots, but I think for the first team offense we'll see he and Neyor split time at boundary WR, Whittington and Red split time at slot, and Worthy and Brenen split time at the outside field spot. Depending on how Neyor comes back, it wouldn't surprise me if it's Mitchell and Neyor at WR in 12 personnel. Cook and Cain are your third stringers; Cain at boundary and Cook at both field spots 

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

This stuff will continue to be an issue in the NIL/portal era

Morice’s mom is also in his ear. She tweeted about NIL fairness a while ago. It was always bound to get towards jealousy and thinking you deserve something others don’t. They are learning a real world lesson. Put in the work and be better, to the point your services are needed and you’ll see the money. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Interesting take given the workday traffic on this site

*Looks around at the workforce* Being “above average” mostly involves showing up every day. Hell, my last work situation was two simultaneous full-time remote jobs and still an outrageous amount of daytime World of Warcraft. 

I think it’s probably a good thing that Sarkisian wants a more “professional” program because he’s basically running a mini-franchise at this point, imo, with NIL and the portal. Personnel, scouting, roster management, etc. are all cranked up to 11 relative to just a couple of years ago. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Mikey4 said:

What did Morice say? It's been deleted.

My interpretation was "I find it unfair that these freshmen and portal transfers are profiting as much as they are, without having put in the necessary work here at Texas, like others have. Such as, say, Mo Blackwell." 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I laughed, but in all seriousness, this hits at one of the most valuable and least understood lessons I’ve learned as an earner. People always talk about hard work and “the grind” and that it takes a ton of effort and energy to rise above the crowd in the workforce. Okay. Maybe. But ditch diggers and busboys, and I have literally been both of those in my life, work really fucking hard and don’t make much above minimum wage. The notion of hard work unto itself is wholly misleading. 

What does that have to do with the portal? Well, for young Maurice, how hard he works may not matter. He may lack the raw materials necessary to rise above the competition nonetheless. Then his choices will also define his outcome and fucking around and finding out in the portal  might be a valuable life lesson after all. I think there’s a shot we’ll see this  in the May period for him and a few others at Texas, just like we’ve already seen with Blue. It’ll keep happening everywhere for a while, but we’re all ratcheting up the learning curve on this one and I think player and program behaviors will look a whole lot different a few years from now, even if rules don’t change. Every program will have cautionary tales for players considering it and NIL will continue to develop into a more concrete component for each org. Guys are going to have a pretty clear picture of what they stand to lose ahead of taking the next step. 

When we get to a baseline of 50k or 100k or wherever that number settles do you see guys getting cut if they refuse to take the hint about depth charts? 

31 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So- for the mouth breathers on this thread bitching incessantly about our portal strategy. We had needs at CB, S, LB, EdgE, WR and Punter. 
as of right now we will have signed a top 5 CB, the best S, a top 3 WR (I’d argue best one to transfer) and a top 3 Punter. So- we haven’t (yet) signed an EDge or LB, but we did sign 5 LB in high school recruiting, including the best LB in the class of 23 so maybe LB was a spot the staff specifically decided not to try their hand at in the portal. In the last two years they’ve taken like 7 eDGES so the thought process there might be the same. 
After signing the #1 QB last year along with probably the best CB transfer and the best WR transfer (damn that injury), it almost appears like this group has an idea of what they want and are executing it.  

We should also factor in the players we kept in this free-agent type era

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Getting to a baseline in football is going to remain elusive for some time. Other sports not named football or men's basketball will actually get to a baseline much sooner and some are damn near there. This is due to the lack of star value across the board for most of the others sports. What I mean is that there isn't a big market for even the best female point guard in the country, or the best libero, or golf star. That's not to say there cannot be outliers or that some money isn't available, because there is some money and shit does happen. 

Paradoxically, the greater the star power on a football team or basketball team, the harder it is to get to an overall baseline for the roster. The battles for the standouts are happening at really expensive levels right now, and the incumbent schools are mostly winning on the retention side, but not without a lot of pain. More than what a baseline of $50k per 85 players has been committed in this cycle on less than 25% of the roster at Texas. This isn't unique to Texas. 

Some of the premiums will get knocked off by the general unsustainability, even for very rich people, of what's happening now, nationally. That will help. Then more maturity in the base itself and the familiarity with the concept will grow, and more crowdfunded money will come in. Then corporate work will continue to develop. So 2025 probably looks a lot different, and not coincidentally, for Texas in a positive way. 

But to address the rest of your post, yes, I believe the portal has now become an extremely convenient way for coaches to dump dead weight. That's the case already. When Blue was making it clear he was going to look, they encouraged it, allegedly. Not to get rid of him, but to get the bullshit out of him. Either he'd land a badass deal for himself somewhere else or he'd realize he has it pretty good where he's currently playing and schooling.

Caveats for the thinking in this post:

1) Baseball is a weird one. LSU allegedly spent like $4M in the last cycle to put together this super team that they're entering the season with in 2023. Texas lost bids on like 6 guys to them. That's just not super sustainable for anyone, much less LSU alums. Texas has won a number of battles lately. There are enough schools that care about baseball that there will always be some high dollar activity, but not close to the levels of football or basketball.

2) There may never be a "floor" for basketball. It just may be about whatever the market bears for the stars and if there is anything left and the program is doing well, program guys get whatever that is that's available when the dust settles. I would expect Duke, Kansas, UNC, Kentucky, and maybe someone like UCLA or Michigan State to have a floor, but that would be about it. Maybe UH too since Fertitta and Mattress Mac, among others, are putting a lot of resources into that program.

3) Hot females, irrespective of sport, who are willing to market their hotness, will get paid corporate money that dwarfs almost everyone else except QBs and star basketball guys. That will either make them completely fluid when it comes to program allegiances or make them totally disinterested in ever pondering a transfer. The better the weather and local scenery, the more likely a program is to attract and retain this type of athlete. Austin being incredibly "Insta-friendly" has legitimate monetary value for various females considering a school. 

4) A transfer rule change making it hard to leave after one transfer might be coming from the NCAA and would, again, dramatically impact ongoing market decisions for players and programs. 

Thread derail.  My 500 to your 1k on Colorado getting invited to a bowl game after this season.  

3 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Standish CB for AD Mitchell.  Says it could happen pretty soon.

image.thumb.png.9a9d5cfa9a1d9c6329a8adb9cbf026f9.png

Oh? It could happen soon now? Considering his last day to register for classes at UT is Jan 25th, and we have a weekend coming up which would be the most convenient time for someone to say, move to another city, I really have to applaud ole' Hudson's detective skills on this one. He's a real Hercule Poirot. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Colorado Buffaloes 2023 schedule

• Sept. 2: At TCU
  • Sept. 9: Nebraska
  • Sept. 16: CSU
  • Sept. 23: At Oregon*
  • Sept. 30: USC*
  • Oct. 7: At Arizona State
  • Oct. 13: Stanford*
  • Oct. 21: Bye week
  • Oct. 28: At UCLA*
  • Nov. 4: Oregon State*
  • Nov. 11: Arizona*
  • Nov. 17: At Washington State*
  • Nov. 25: At Utah*

Show me a loss.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Oh? It could happen soon now? Considering his last day to register for classes at UT is Jan 25th, and we have a weekend coming up which would be the most convenient time for someone to say, move to another city, I really have to applaud ole' Hudson's detective skills on this one. He's a real Hercule Poirot. 

And yet somehow, he's further out on a limb than Roach.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Show me a loss.

6 could be tight. They'd probably get an invite with 5 wins, and I can see 5 here

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, taybo20 said:

Morice’s mom is also in his ear. She tweeted about NIL fairness a while ago. It was always bound to get towards jealousy and thinking you deserve something others don’t. They are learning a real world lesson. Put in the work and be better, to the point your services are needed and you’ll see the money. 

Be careful what you wish for. A lot of D1 kids are going into the portal and get a wakeup call when mostly non power 5 schools show interest. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. Also, it won't be long before some of the top kids no longer take visits. They will send their agents to negotiate their NIL deals and the highest bidder gets the kid.

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So- for the mouth breathers on this thread bitching incessantly about our portal strategy. We had needs at CB, S, LB, EdgE, WR and Punter. 
as of right now we will have signed a top 5 CB, the best S, a top 3 WR (I’d argue best one to transfer) and a top 3 Punter. So- we haven’t (yet) signed an EDge or LB, but we did sign 5 LB in high school recruiting, including the best LB in the class of 23 so maybe LB was a spot the staff specifically decided not to try their hand at in the portal. In the last two years they’ve taken like 7 eDGES so the thought process there might be the same. 
After signing the #1 QB last year along with probably the best CB transfer and the best WR transfer (damn that injury), it almost appears like this group has an idea of what they want and are executing it.  

I think ED is the only deficiency that needs addressing (after we sign Duce).

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Getting to a baseline in football is going to remain elusive for some time. Other sports not named football or men's basketball will actually get to a baseline much sooner and some are damn near there. This is due to the lack of star value across the board for most of the others sports. What I mean is that there isn't a big market for even the best female point guard in the country, or the best libero, or golf star. That's not to say there cannot be outliers or that some money isn't available, because there is some money and shit does happen. 

Paradoxically, the greater the star power on a football team or basketball team, the harder it is to get to an overall baseline for the roster. The battles for the standouts are happening at really expensive levels right now, and the incumbent schools are mostly winning on the retention side, but not without a lot of pain. More than what a baseline of $50k per 85 players has been committed in this cycle on less than 25% of the roster at Texas. This isn't unique to Texas. 

Some of the premiums will get knocked off by the general unsustainability, even for very rich people, of what's happening now, nationally. That will help. Then more maturity in the base itself and the familiarity with the concept will grow, and more crowdfunded money will come in. Then corporate work will continue to develop. So 2025 probably looks a lot different, and not coincidentally, for Texas in a positive way. 

But to address the rest of your post, yes, I believe the portal has now become an extremely convenient way for coaches to dump dead weight. That's the case already. When Blue was making it clear he was going to look, they encouraged it, allegedly. Not to get rid of him, but to get the bullshit out of him. Either he'd land a badass deal for himself somewhere else or he'd realize he has it pretty good where he's currently playing and schooling.

Caveats for the thinking in this post:

1) Baseball is a weird one. LSU allegedly spent like $4M in the last cycle to put together this super team that they're entering the season with in 2023. Texas lost bids on like 6 guys to them. That's just not super sustainable for anyone, much less LSU alums. Texas has won a number of battles lately. There are enough schools that care about baseball that there will always be some high dollar activity, but not close to the levels of football or basketball.

2) There may never be a "floor" for basketball. It just may be about whatever the market bears for the stars and if there is anything left and the program is doing well, program guys get whatever that is that's available when the dust settles. I would expect Duke, Kansas, UNC, Kentucky, and maybe someone like UCLA or Michigan State to have a floor, but that would be about it. Maybe UH too since Fertitta and Mattress Mac, among others, are putting a lot of resources into that program.

3) Hot females, irrespective of sport, who are willing to market their hotness, will get paid corporate money that dwarfs almost everyone else except QBs and star basketball guys. That will either make them completely fluid when it comes to program allegiances or make them totally disinterested in ever pondering a transfer. The better the weather and local scenery, the more likely a program is to attract and retain this type of athlete. Austin being incredibly "Insta-friendly" has legitimate monetary value for various females considering a school. 

4) A transfer rule change making it hard to leave after one transfer might be coming from the NCAA and would, again, dramatically impact ongoing market decisions for players and programs. 

That makes total sense on getting to a baseline being harder in football, as well as not mentioned by you but pretty obviously 85 scholarships also makes it harder. All that said I would imagine that some money will have to flow to incoming freshmen for talent acquisition, especially if we find the portal more difficult to navigate than we might have originally believed it to be because retaining teams now have knowledge guys are looking AND the the huge advantage that is inertia in any sort of human endeavor.  But to your first point we seem to be seeing than right now especially at a place like Ohio State. 

I generally would agree on this thing stabilizing and at a lower number but it always has the chance of getting spun up at any time. What happens at aggy if Texas wins a national title?  Or at OSU if Michigan does. Open up the vault. 

interestingly enough the guys that might be the easiest to hold onto at UT (and this is super good news for us) are the actual superstars that NIL was touted for. Austin and the biggest fanbase in the world work pretty well for real and legitimate corporate NiL. 

great post as always. Thanks for the insight. 

9 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Show me a loss.

Everyone but CSU? 

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I think ED is the only deficiency that needs addressing (after we sign Duce).

We aren’t signing Duce but yeah- TE will almost assuredly need an upgrade after this season because Sanders is gone. 
Edge we need to hunt a higher ceiling. lab we need to hunt a higher floor. Which is more important or more needs addressing is up to you. I see arguments both ways and would like them both upgraded but edge will be harder. Like- probably only happen with 500k in hand and tempering the hell out of the best G5 guy in the country at that position. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

image.gif.44c60d3a9fb0b87121dd34239c7133dd.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, texifornia said:

And yet somehow, he's further out on a limb than Roach.

Well, to be fair, Roach is likely too fat to climb any tree, even with a stepladder. I shudder at the thought of him even attempting to scoot out on any limb, even if helicopter lowered him onto a redwood or sequoia branch. 

13 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

6 could be tight. They'd probably get an invite with 5 wins, and I can see 5 here

They were one of the worst teams in CFB last year and their APR is abysmal. I haven't tracked what he's got coming in from a transfer perspective, but it would have to be an elite group of guys that stay healthy, and like 40 of them, or there's no fucking way they're getting to 6 wins. The Fisch guy at Arizona has them developing into semi-competent. Smith at Oregon State is winning. CSU, Nebraska, Arizona State, Wazzou and TCU could all be wins, but they could also all be losses. The other 7 games would be upsets or stunning upsets. I'm skeptical that they'll be favored in more than 2 games, but it should be fun to follow.

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

But 1. Deion has to be the coach 2. His kid has to start 9 games or more. 3 if he declines the bowl invite I still win. 

those are my outs my 500 vs your 1000

I'm fine with 1 and 3, but a no-go on 2. Not sure why that matters one way or another, and I have no perspective on his impact on the program and therefore can't value it.

14 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

CU might have the worst APR in the country. It was already outside of the top 100 last year and they’re turning over half their roster 

80% of their roster, actually

Sanders, however, recruited his roster to Jackson State without the backing of a deep-pocketed collective, and with George sitting in his home, Sanders laid out his vision that was similar to what he’d done in Jackson. Sanders refers to it as his 40-40-20 model.

That’s a roster made up of 40 percent graduate transfers, 40 percent undergraduate transfers and 20 percent high school signees.

On an 85-man roster, that would mean 34 graduate transfers, 34 undergraduate transfers, and 17 high school signees.

This quoting this

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

They were one of the worst teams in CFB last year and their APR is abysmal. I haven't tracked what he's got coming in from a transfer perspective, but it would have to be an elite group of guys that stay healthy, and like 40 of them, or there's no fucking way they're getting to 6 wins. The Fisch guy at Arizona has them developing into semi-competent. Smith at Oregon State is winning. CSU, Nebraska, Arizona State, Wazzou and TCU could all be wins, but they could also all be losses. The other 7 games would be upsets or stunning upsets. I'm skeptical that they'll be favored in more than 2 games, but it should be fun to follow.

You'll notice I didn't take that bet. I've got NU, CSU, sparky, stanford, and WSU as reasonable possibilities. UA is the wild card 6th, imo. There's no path to 7, though.