[Discussion] Mass Shooting at Uvalde Elementary School

Yeah. We wanted swat to mobilize and move in faster than 40 minutes. Of course. But how much faster should we expect at a small town? What is reasonable? And then apply the manpower, training, militarization to get that timeframe down to say maybe 10 minutes for all the small towns in the US.  That is massive reform - IMO - to address our mass shooting pandemic. 

Or is the solution to mass shootings somewhere else?

This wasn’t Whitman on the tower with a commanding view of campus, and even then Ramirez and McCoy put their personal safety behind the greater good to stop the shooting.

Has handcruser stopped selling guns to people under 21 yet?

The right wingers and gun nuts sure are quiet these last couple of days. Haven’t heard many suggestions and when you do, and ask if they vote for politicians that would pass such laws, they disappear.

What did I do wrong?

Probably way off topic and I know this isn't the ticket thread,  but gordo read an email he got from a teacher the other day after the shooting and one sentence she wrote really hit home. I'm not going to go back and listed to get it exactly right but she said something about this big group project we are all in. Meaning life. 

We've all had group projects. Kindergarten. High school. College. Grad school. And we've all had idiots we had to deal with (looking right and left)  but we figured it out. When can we just stop and figure it out?  I'm pro gun. Pro 2A. But an 18 year old should never be allowed to buy an AR on his birthday. Let alone ammo. I'm drunk. And rambling. But when can the 80% of us in this country that are pretty much on the same page take back control. This is so dumb. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

What did I do wrong?

Nothing.

You said you were in favor of several ideas to restrict gun sales, one of those was not selling to anyone under 21.  Another person then asked, since you are the business owner, why don't you be proactive and make that your store's policy?  What is stopping you from doing that if you believe in that restriction?  Hell, probably get some really good press out of it.

My question was, all those ideas you support, do you vote for politicians that will pass such laws?  I don't think any of the current republicans from Texas would do such things, did you vote for them?  Will you now vote for someone else that will be willing to put these controls in place?

Nothing.
You said you were in favor of several ideas to restrict gun sales, one of those was not selling to anyone under 21.  Another person then asked, since you are the business owner, why don't you be proactive and make that your store's policy?  What is stopping you from doing that if you believe in that restriction?  Hell, probably get some really good press out of it.
My question was, all those ideas you support, do you vote for politicians that will pass such laws?  I don't think any of the current republicans from Texas would do such things, did you vote for them?  Will you now vote for someone else that will be willing to put these controls in place?

I don’t own the gun store. Not sure how you got that idea. I do t make the rules but I didn’t sell anything to anyone under 21 today.

In regards to voting - there are lots of issues that impact that. I’ve voted both sides of the aisle many times. If there’s a candidate that has good ideas I do t care which side he’s on.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

I don’t own the gun store. Not sure how you got that idea. I do t make the rules but I didn’t sell anything to anyone under 21 today.

In regards to voting - there are lots of issues that impact that. I’ve voted both sides of the aisle many times. If there’s a candidate that has good ideas I do t care which side he’s on.

Fair enough.  Thank you for replying.

11 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

James Franco Reaction GIF

I mean it hasn't come out that any of the cops actually shot the kids but that's about the only way they could've performed worse.  

He’s just saying the average cop is Barney Fife.  They cosplay tough guys in tacticool gear, and we play along with our punisher stickers and thin blue line flags.  But these are just guys that were issued a uniform.  They don’t have any real training.  They don’t have their lieutenant ordering them to take the next hill.  

We need to eliminate the mindset that these people are capable of great things because they are not.  They are just guys that needed a job.  They cosplay is all a charade. Don’t forget that. 

9 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

He’s just saying the average cop is Barney Fife.  They cosplay tough guys in tacticool gear, and we play along with our punisher stickers and thin blue line flags.  But these are just guys that were issued a uniform.  They don’t have any real training.  They don’t have their lieutenant ordering them to take the next hill.  

We need to eliminate the mindset that these people are capable of great things because they are not.  They are just guys that needed a job.  They cosplay is all a charade. Don’t forget that. 

Shit, yeah, went back and read his post.  Get it now.  He's saying we shouldn't be surprised...what those cowards did is par for the bullying coward cop culture. 

On 5/26/2022 at 1:13 PM, Michael Knight said:

Buy every minority in America an AR-15 and every woman 2 guns then you'll see talk for curbing gun sales.

"You know what we have to do. This is a fucking election year, we have to be serious. Every able-bodied African American must register for a legal firearm. That's the only way they'll change the law." - Dave Chappelle. 

15 hours ago, Celery Man said:

If we can’t or won’t expect run of the mill cops to go in and engage, perhaps e we should recognize that they are for traffic enforcement and filing paperwork and arm them appropriately. These guys don’t need to accidentally find themselves holding a gun when they’re dealing with a black teen, they don’t need tools to engage when they begin fearing for their lives.

Absolutely. There is no compelling reason for patrol cops to have guns. They have proven they can't be trusted with them countless times over, and they aren't using them to make anyone safer.

14 hours ago, Captainant said:

icqzumzcsx191.jpg?auto=webp&s=1477e25dfe

"Cops when a black suspect..."*

13 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

It's clear that the American people want real, effective gun control.  Background checks have >80% approval in virtually every poll.  And assault-weapons ban gets about 3-1 approval.  But Congress won't act to accomplish that, because our democracy is broken.  Perhaps irretrievably so.  

So when your government doesn't work, there's only one option for the people to take: direct action.

On this issue, that means burning down gun stores.  Go in the middle of the night with a few molotov cocktails, and burn them the fuck down.  Fuck--with all the ammunition and shit inside, they'll go up with quite a lot of drama long before the fire fighters can do anything about it.  

And what?  Are you going to be morally troubled because Handcruiser just lost his business?  Fuck no.  Fuck him.  He profited off human misery for long enough.

And anyways, his losses are insured.  But that's really the point, isn't it?  You don't have to burn down every gun store.  You just have to burn down enough to make them uninsurable.

If we want change in this country, our course is clear.

Just want to say that ledge GOLL is an interesting counter to Brisket.

@Handcruser - you never answered the question. Are you a member of the NRA?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

I am. For instructor certifications.

So when you said you were in favor of broader background checks and raising the age to purchase AR-15s what you meant was "every year I financially support an organization who lobbies aggressively and successfully to ensure none of the things I'm in favor of actually happen."

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

So when you said you were in favor of broader background checks and raising the age to purchase AR-15s what you meant was "every year I financially support an organization who lobbies aggressively and successfully to ensure none of the things I'm in favor of actually happen."

He. Doesn’t. Care.

Whatever answer he gives you will be self-serving, disingenuous and tone deaf.

37 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

No, what he means is there is no alternative to get instructor certifications. If you want people to be trained to use guns, the sad truth is that that means that people who don't care for the NRA have to be members just to get certifications to be an instructor. Otherwise there would be no training.

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Huh.  I look at it more in terms of neutralizing one of their key red herring arguments: "What we really need is good guys with guns!"  Fuck you, we had good guys with guns, lots of them, it was an utter failure.  Cross that solution off your bullshit list.

Seems to me there were a bunch of bad guys with guns who were intent on preventing a few good guys with guns (and some without, but you know there were parents there who had them either on them or in their vehicles in Uvalde mfing Texas) from engaging the other bad guy with guns.

Too late to edit, but I almost forgot about the last bit of my proposal.

6. Red Flag Laws. Many lives would be saved if we had proper and robust red flag laws. But they need to have fair due process. They cannot be designed so angry exes report someone who then has to go through years of red tape just to get their rights that they never should have lost back. And their should be consequences for malicious use of them.

• Hook 'Em 5

[mention=1963]NotActuallyALonghorn[/mention], all those proposals sound great. All of them have been proposed and pushed by Democrats. All of them have been blocked, or actively undone by Republicans.  There is one party that won’t compromise on guns, and it’s not the Democrats.
The Republicans in Texas have not just failed to compromise— they’ve spent decades shifting the status quo to the right, as well as any window for compromise.  I’m 40 and I remember when concealed carry wasn’t allowed in Texas even with a license.  Now anyone over 18 can carry anything they want with no license, so long as they don’t have a criminal record. 

Important to note on your nationwide reciprocity idea— Texas has no concealed license requirement AT ALL now.  So your proposal would require Texas and other GOP states with “constitutional carry” to compromise by re-tightening their own laws. What is the likelihood of that? Be honest. 

A criminal record is not a bar, unless that record includes a conviction for either a felony or a family violence misdemeanor.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Godzillatron said:

This wasn’t Whitman on the tower with a commanding view of campus, and even then Ramirez and McCoy put their personal safety behind the greater good to stop the shooting.

Whitman did most of the lethal shooting in the first minutes. Once citizens (and students from west campus) started firing (fairly inaccurately, because they’re very hard shots) from the ground up to the tower too, with their deer rifles, he no longer had the time to sight in, and wasn’t able to hit as many people. 

7 hours ago, Handcruser said:

In that case I would have said no.

But you would have meant yes. Does it at least bother you a little bit you financially support an organization that lobbies to ensure none of the gun laws you supposedly are in favor of become law? 

While we're here (I've never talked to a gun dealer before):

Are you paid on commission?

Do gun shops get notified when their products result in death? 

3 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

@NotActuallyALonghorn, all those proposals sound great. All of them have been proposed and pushed by Democrats. All of them have been blocked, or actively undone by Republicans.  There is one party that won’t compromise on guns, and it’s not the Democrats.

The Republicans in Texas have not just failed to compromise— they’ve spent decades shifting the status quo to the right, as well as any window for compromise.  I’m 40 and I remember when concealed carry wasn’t allowed in Texas even with a license.  Now anyone over 18 can carry anything they want with no license, so long as they don’t have a criminal record. 

Important to note on your nationwide reciprocity idea— Texas has no concealed license requirement AT ALL now.  So your proposal would require Texas and other GOP states with “constitutional carry” to compromise by re-tightening their own laws. What is the likelihood of that? Be honest. 

Negative. The Democrats backed the Manchin Toomey universal background check bill instead of the Tom Coburn proposal which would have had a better shot at passing and is basically what I have described. They have vigorously opposed the Hearing Protection Act, going so fat as to spread mistrooths about suppressors are actually capable of in order to justify their actions. They have also opposed nation wide reciprocity. They have made no concessions in order to get concessions from the other side. Oh, and most states that have no requirement to get a concealed handgun license still offer them for reciprocity reasons. Texas definitely does.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

You will get a response from Cornyn and Abbott, even if it’s just a form response from some intern. You will not get any response from Cruz, but your email will now be on his fundraising list so you’ll get spam asking for donations.  

I’m not joking, btw.  

I can confirm. Emailed years ago and immediately started getting fundraising emails. Fuck that guy.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Negative. The Democrats backed the Manchin Toomey universal background check bill instead of the Tom Coburn proposal which would have had a better shot at passing and is basically what I have described. They have vigorously opposed the Hearing Protection Act, going so fat as to spread mistrooths about suppressors are actually capable of in order to justify their actions. They have also opposed nation wide reciprocity. They have made no concessions in order to get concessions from the other side. Oh, and most states that have no requirement to get a concealed handgun license still offer them for reciprocity reasons. Texas definitely does.

Republicans: offer toothless, shitty legislation

Democrats: no, thats not enough

Republicans: the dems wont compromize!!!!!1!1!!!1!

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, MontereyMXmuthafucka said:

Hawkins: Practical Steps to Keep Schools, Students Safe (breitbart.com)

pretty good article with much needed common sense approach

Just now, Sbbruin said:

If you think arming teachers is the solution, you’re a fucking moron.

Was going to say, if arming teachers nationwide at any point enters your list of solutions, just sit down shut up and let the adults with above room temperature IQ come up with a solution.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Was going to say, if arming teachers nationwide at any point enters your list of solutions, just sit down shut up and let the adults with above room temperature IQ come up with a solution.

Turn schools into prisons and put more guns in the schools!  

35 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Republicans: offer toothless, shitty legislation

Democrats: no, thats not enough

Republicans: the dems wont compromize!!!!!1!1!!!1!

It’s always the Dems have to compromise and accept GOP legislation on guns. Like making the firefighters compromise with the arsonists. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, achooloco said:

if you frame a "first off, no gun control" approach as a common sense solution, you are incredibly fucking stupid

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, MontereyMXmuthafucka said:

Hawkins: Practical Steps to Keep Schools, Students Safe (breitbart.com)

pretty good article with much needed common sense approach

Oh fuck right off. Breitbart? Are you shitting me?

At the outset let me note that gun control is not part of the solution, because gun control and “gun-free zone” policies only impact those who are inclined to follow laws and policies. (To put it plainly, gun control curtails the freedom of untold millions of Americans who have nothing to do with a given attack while setting in place rules which the next determined attacker will ignore when he is ready to strike.)

Imagine being dumb enough to read that disclaimer a few days after a kid legally bought two ARs on his 18th birthday to shoot up a school, and think anything that follows could be construed as "common sense."

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

But you would have meant yes. Does it at least bother you a little bit you financially support an organization that lobbies to ensure none of the gun laws you supposedly are in favor of become law? 

Yeah - I don’t like the nra. USCCA is becoming an aternative though.

Never get commission. Pretty standard I. The industry that commission is not paid. I can also refuse any sale I want for any reason. Not a problem.

Yeah - I don’t like the nra. USCCA is becoming an aternative though.

Never get commission. Pretty standard I. The industry that commission is not paid. I can also refuse any sale I want for any reason. Not a problem.

Fuck everything about that article and the morons who subscribe to that thinking.

if you frame a "first off, no gun control" approach as a common sense solution, you are incredibly fucking stupid

It’s impossible to state how “hot garbage” that piece is. But I’ll just throw one curveball that wrecks the whole thing:
Now do Buffalo grocery stores and El Paso Wal-Marts.

Jesus tapdancing Christ, it isn’t JUST schools, schools are just the most heinous example. It’s as if sections of our highways periodically exploded and destroyed all the vehicles on them. One day, they destroy 5 sedans in Buffalo, filled with a mix of folks. We’re horrified, but I guess not horrified enough. The next day, one segment blows up in Uvalde and kills a school bus full of elementary school kids, to our profound horror.

Abbott, Cruz, and their moronic sycophants would spend the entire time talking about “hardening school buses,” and “better bus driver training,” and other bullshit. NO, YOU MALEVOLENT FUCKSTICKS, IT’S NOT ABOUT THE SCHOOL BUSES, IT’S ABOUT THE REGULARLY EXPLODING ROADS. THAT’S EXACTLY WHAT IT’S ABOUT.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Good. Fucking. Lord.
We aren't even living in a shared reality anymore.

I don’t own a gun, nor give a shit about what obstacles one has to go through if the government one day decides to make it tougher to acquire one. I think it’s crazy how easy it is for disturbed folks to get guns in under an hour. Maybe start out with first and foremost family history? If one has a father, brother etc that’s served time for guns? Moms on meth like in this instance….maybe those folks should have to go through extreme background checks of basically everything along with evaluations, classes and delays.

If family history shows registered gun owners are clean and for years or generations they’ve followed all of the rules to owning a gun, then those individuals could possibly get by easier with purchasing a gun- maybe a co-sign if someone’s under 21.

I’m just responding to someone posting about toothless reform and zero compromise. What’s your shared reality? Mine is these events will continue to happen. idiots like you will spend 10 hrs a day posting how raged they are, this thread eventually drops to page 2,3 and 4 and then out of mind until next one.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I don’t own a gun, nor give a shit about what obstacles one has to go through if the government one day decides to make it tougher to acquire one. I think it’s crazy how easy it is for disturbed folks to get guns in under an hour. Maybe start out with first and foremost family history? If one has a father, brother etc that’s served time for guns? Moms on meth like in this instance….maybe those folks should have to go through extreme background checks of basically everything along with evaluations, classes and delays.

I’m just responding to someone posting about toothless reform and zero compromise. What’s your shared reality? Mine is these events will continue to happen. idiots like you will spend 10 hrs a day posting how raged they are, this thread eventually drops to page 2,3 and 4 and then out of mind until next one.

Well we both agree nothing will be done to try and stop these tragedies and they will continue to happen. Yay.

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

Fuck everything about that article and the morons who subscribe to that thinking.

Took me a few minutes to realize that that post wasn't a joke.

It really is crazy how far the Abbotts and Patricks and Cruzes and their ilk will bend over backwards to claim that mass shootings have nothing to do with gun control, and refuse out-of-hand to even have a real conversation about it with anyone who disagrees with their policies. If I have a pond, and my fish keep dying, at some point I have to stop trying to treat individual fish and acknowledge that there's something in the water.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1