Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

Well most don’t carry into churches and schools. But the point is valid, not many CHL saving the day.  Unless you count the gentlemen carrying the kids to the door in El Paso. 

It was a misdemeanor to carry a handgun in churches. That will change as of Sept. 1 They also loosened the requirement for transport and storage around schools.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Part of the reason he’s going is because he’s not wanted there. He’s a fucking asshole that is incapable of feeling or showing empathy. He’ll go, try to look sad and try not to say something stupid like Toledo. Then he’ll get on AF1 and tweet out Fox News clips for 3 hours and he’ll never think about what happened in El Paso again. 

• Like 3

Yep. Look what I can get away with. I basically called El Paso crime infested and dangerous, and now I can go there like nothing happened. 

In his February State of the Union address to Congress, he derided El Paso as one of America’s “most dangerous cities” with an “extremely high” crime rate before a barrier was constructed along its boundary with Mexico— flatly contradicting the facts.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-el-paso-lied-about-crime-rate-wall-mexicans_n_5d4780abe4b0aca3411fbe1b

24 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

It's absolutely insane Trump is going to El Paso. His visit is cruel rubbing salt in the wounds of those reeling in pain and with their world turned upside down. It's despicable. Utterly. Nothing is beneath this guy.

Trump is a pure piece of shit. No doubt. But let’s not pretend he wouldn’t also get a load of criticism for NOT going to El Paso. 

4 minutes ago, The People’s Elbow said:

Trump is a pure piece of shit. No doubt. But let’s not pretend he wouldn’t also get a load of criticism for NOT going to El Paso. 

After inciting violence and murder, it's kind of tough to come away looking good no matter what you do. Funny how that works. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, The People’s Elbow said:

This is true.  I honestly think Trump does not want to go to El Paso tomorrow and I find some satisfaction knowing he’s going to hate every second of it.  

He can’t do rally talking points or pimp his wall either.  Well, he can but...who am i kidding, he’ll embarrass himself and the country tomorrow with a smile as always.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ths71 said:

It was a misdemeanor to carry a handgun in churches. That will change as of Sept. 1 They also loosened the requirement for transport and storage around schools.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

While churches were listed as off limits, part of the stipulation was that they had to have 30.06 or 30.07 signs. So they have basically been just like any public place for a while.

24 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

This is true.  I honestly think Trump does not want to go to El Paso tomorrow and I find some satisfaction knowing he’s going to hate every second of it.  

He can’t do rally talking points or pimp his wall either.  Well, he can but...who am i kidding, he’ll embarrass himself and the country tomorrow with a smile as always.

He only smiles when his audience yells about shooting illegals. 

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

I'm probably too late to the party here, but I was given a .22 rifle when I was in the fourth grade and used it for hunting at my grandparents' place outside of Brownwood quite frequently as a kid, so I was accustomed to guns being around growing up.

A few years later, I was over at a new friend's house and he showed me his dad's arsenal and exposed me to Soldier of Fortune magazine for the first time, and I was like wtf?

I'm just spitballing hear, but I'd bet publications like that, along with the shift in the NRA into a right wing political organization had something to do with it (and I'd bet the former was a response to Pentagon up frustrations over Vietnam by vets and the latter might've had something to do with a backlash to Civil Rights).

I don't recall Soldier of Fortune being an anti-government militia publication. From what I remember, it was very much a "Fuck the Soviets" magazine and had a lot of fan fiction regarding people fighting communists in Central America, Africa and Afghanistan. There was a clear outside enemy during the Cold War and people hadn't turned inward for their enemies yet.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, F250 said:

I don't recall Soldier of Fortune being an anti-government militia publication. From what I remember, it was very much a "Fuck the Soviets" magazine and had a lot of fan fiction regarding people fighting communists in Central America, Africa and Afghanistan. There was a clear outside enemy during the Cold War and people hadn't turned inward for their enemies yet.

I remember that as well, but at some point the hatred for Commies merged with the NRA and detesting immigrants and all people of color, which resulted in the beginnings of the anti-government  "militia movement" sometime during the early 1990s. Once Clinton was elected and the Cold War ended, we started hearing about black helicopters, jackbooted thugs, preppers, etc. That subsided some when they turned their attention toward Islam, but they turned their attention back inward with Obama's election.

Edited by bolverk
Had to include the loss of the Commie threat

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I count the hell out of him.  Fantastic man.  But his actions didn't require a CHL -- he never shot back. 

I do too. I phrased that funky.  We need more people like Glen (iirc). 

4 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

So I went on Mercado Libre (Messkin eBay) for Honduras

This seems awesome.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The People’s Elbow said:

Eh, maybe he would be criticized for not going but it's still the right thing to do. If Obama were in a similar situation where there were sensitivities around his visit, he would stay away and express sympathies in other ways. Trump refused to even make time for the US representative from El Paso.

11 hours ago, F250 said:

8EF0CBCC-4EE7-4A3B-9BF6-DB5B6A5924BA.jpeg

• Haha 2

Paging Icono:  Tucker Carlson, in his inimitable style, has weighed in on the issue of race divisions in America:

Tucker Carlson says the country's white supremacy problem "is a hoax. Just like the Russia hoax. It's a conspiracy theory used to divide the country and keep a hold on power."

Oh, you

1 hour ago, horncyclist said:

Eh, maybe he would be criticized for not going but it's still the right thing to do. If Obama were in a similar situation where there were sensitivities around his visit, he would stay away and express sympathies in other ways. Trump refused to even make time for the US representative from El Paso.

The right thing to do would be to go to El Paso, look the people there in the eye, and apologize for the part he has played in this whole thing. But that would never happen.

Saw Anderson Cooper's interview with a young man who lost his nephew at El Paso. He was wounded and getting ready for another surgery. I don't think CNN has posted it yet, but it was so compelling. This man and his nephew were gunned down b/c they have brown skin.

He was very composed and spoke lovingly about his nephew who was a better soccer player than he was. So heartbreaking.

15 hours ago, bolverk said:

I remember that as well, but at some point the hatred for Commies merged with the NRA and detesting immigrants and all people of color, which resulted in the beginnings of the anti-government  "militia movement" sometime during the early 1990s. Once Clinton was elected and the Cold War ended, we started hearing about black helicopters, jackbooted thugs, preppers, etc. That subsided some when they turned their attention toward Islam, but they turned their attention back inward with Obama's election.

That would jive with the McVeigh bombing in 1995, then. McVeigh was reprimanded while he was in the Army for wearing a white power t-shirt.

Impressive commentary by Eddie Glaude

Yeah, that’s been going around...and it couldn’t be more spot-on. We are a country in deep denial, and always has been. American exceptionalism and all that.
And, confession: I’ve certainly been guilty of such thinking and denial. Mostly because I WANTED it to be the truth - who wouldn’t? But wanting it to be doesn’t make it true.
We have never owned up to our original, and ongoing sin. We have tried to convince ourselves that the Civil War was all the price to be paid. As if freeing the slaves solved the issue. A century-plus of institutional segregation and discrimination, lynchings, etc, tell us it wasn’t. And that’s just with respect to black folks. We were shittacular with respect to Chinese people, Hispanics, and hell, even the Irish and Italians.
When you have done wrong, and continue to be wrong, you have to start by acknowledging it. We can’t even come close.
We’ll keep doing this till it kills us. We have a built-in fatal flaw, and we’re going to feed it till it kills us.
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, that’s been going around...and it couldn’t be more spot-on. We are a country in deep denial, and always has been. American exceptionalism and all that.
And, confession: I’ve certainly been guilty of such thinking and denial. Mostly because I WANTED it to be the truth - who wouldn’t? But wanting it to be doesn’t make it true.
We have never owned up to our original, and ongoing sin. We have tried to convince ourselves that the Civil War was all the price to be paid. As if freeing the slaves solved the issue. A century-plus of institutional segregation and discrimination, lynchings, etc, tell us it wasn’t. And that’s just with respect to black folks. We were shittacular with respect to Chinese people, Hispanics, and hell, even the Irish and Italians.
When you have done wrong, and continue to be wrong, you have to start by acknowledging it. We can’t even come close.
We’ll keep doing this till it kills us. We have a built-in fatal flaw, and we’re going to feed it till it kills us.

The deep denial results in focusing blame on Russia/Putin. They played their part, but Americans have to look within and realize this is our fault. And the only way it will truly be fixed starts with admitting it. 

• Like 2

The deep denial results in focusing blame on Russia/Putin. They played their part, but Americans have to look within and realize this is our fault. And the only way it will truly be fixed starts with admitting it. 

We won’t. Listen to Tucker Carlson for contrast. He says white supremacy doesn’t even exist. That view will prevail.

18 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

The deep denial results in focusing blame on Russia/Putin.

Why do you keep going to this well?!? The Russia story is the most significant scandal in American History.   The national security advisor is still awaiting sentencing for being a fucking foreign agent and that’s the small part of the story.

• Pancho changed the title to Active shooter thread