Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

8 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's really simple.  Draw the line at weapon X, and possession of any weapon beyond X is a felony.  If we catch you with said weapon, you spend 10 years in prison.  We don't care if you're a standup dad, a HS teacher, an accountant, a farmer, what the fuck ever.  You own a weapon on the list and we find out about it, you're going to prison.  Do not pass go, do not collect shit.  

That won't do shit.   Draw the line at weapon X and someone will eventually use weapon X to kill 25 people.  Then everyone will scream draw the line at weapon Y and possession of any weapon beyond Y is a felony.  Then someone will use weapon Y to kill 24 people.  Then everyone will scream draw the line at weapon Z and possession of any weapon beyond Z is a felony.  Then someone will use weapon Z to kill 23 people.  Then everyone will scream draw the line at weapon AA and possession of any weapon beyond AA is a felony.  Then someone will use weapon AA and kill 22 people. And so on and so on.   Eventually you will be drawing the line at Derringers and .410 shotguns.  You will keep on sawing off the very end of the tree limb but since you are not changing the mind of the people that do this they will keep on finding ways to do it and eventually you won't have anything left of the limb to saw off.  How did that war on drugs go?  How well did prohibition work?  

• Fuck You 8

5 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

That won't do shit.   Draw the line at weapon X and someone will eventually use weapon X to kill 25 people.  Then everyone will scream draw the line at weapon Y and possession of any weapon beyond Y is a felony.  Then someone will use weapon Y to kill 24 people.  Then everyone will scream draw the line at weapon Z and possession of any weapon beyond Z is a felony.  Then someone will use weapon Z to kill 23 people.  Then everyone will scream draw the line at weapon AA and possession of any weapon beyond AA is a felony.  Then someone will use weapon AA and kill 22 people. And so on and so on.   Eventually you will be drawing the line at Derringers and .410 shotguns.  You will keep on sawing off the very end of the tree limb but since you are not changing the mind of the people that do this they will keep on finding ways to do it and eventually you won't have anything left of the limb to saw off.  How did that war on drugs go?  How well did prohibition work?  

When weapon X is a fucking musket no one is going to use it to kill 25 people.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

If only there were an example we could turn to in order to determine if you're right or if I'm right?  Gosh, I'm stumped.  Oh well, happy death day!

1 hour ago, EMAWesome said:

Comparing gun control to the war on drugs and prohibition of alcohol is the dumbest think I’ve heard since the last trump hate rally you attended.

Do you get high on your guns? Are you a gun addict? Do you shoot off your guns at your cousins wedding? 

17 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Comparing gun control to the war on drugs and prohibition of alcohol is the dumbest think I’ve heard since the last trump hate rally you attended.

Do you get high on your guns? Are you a gun addict? Do you shoot off your guns at your cousins wedding? 

Plus, how many Republicans are willing to legalize most drugs?  At most, some are moving in favor of just the most harmless drug that is currently illegal, pot.   Just like most on the gun control side are willing to allow certain arms, like shotguns.   But hardly any Republicans think we should legalize crack and heroin and other serious shit on the basis that "drug laws don't work."

let’s breakdown that argument. Say we ban Type X weapon and we see all mass shooting with Type X stop altogether. Or drastically drop. At that point that law was a success.  

But then mass shooters move onto Type Y.  Wouldn’t we want to repeat the same law by banning Type Y?  It doesn’t mean we have to repeat it. Maybe we decide that it’s an acceptable risk to allow Type Y.  

The real fear of the 2A hardliners is that a ban on any type of weapon would be deemed successful. They know they’re screwed when that happens. Hence why they won’t and can’t budge one inch.  Fewer mass shooting deaths because of stronger gun control and their arguments will be laughed at.

• Like 1

Since congress won’t act, I think a way people can force action would be to vote with their wallet. 

There needs to be a national movement boycotting congressional districts and even states that are anti-gun laws. What I mean is, don’t visit or buy products made from that state. Same goes for companies too. Cancel conferences in those states, etc. Most people don’t give a shit that others are suffering, as long as they can shoot stuff, it doesn’t affect them, but if you start hurting their finances, then shit will get real, 

So if the answer to gun violence is for the rest of us to have more guns...and if the war on drugs is a good example of why gun control won't work either...

then I guess the answer to other banned shit like hookers and blow, is to give the rest of us more hookers and blow?  

Fuck it, I'm in.  Gimme a Glock while you're at it.

so it's been what, 4-5 months since whatever school shooting got this thread going again, and i declared that i would not be participating in any rational debate on the subject, because of my admitted closed-mindedness and inability to see any merit on the other side.

i was hit with arguments about well trained sentries at schools.  i was reminded of how constitutional it is to be able to have guns in your house to defend your family against a home invasion.  and then when i asked why the guns were allowed outside the house, i was patronized and told tales that started with, "well, obviously i'm gonna take my guns with me if i'm on vacation with my family."  obviously.

when i said i thought there was no reasonable purpose for guns to exist at all outside the military and police force, i was lectured about hunting license income, and even got a couple of pm's from folks worried i was being too stubborn and not seeing the big picture, not to mention ignoring "family traditions" that go back generations.

doctors used leeches, cocaine, and heroin as medical treatment.  people were shot out of cannons and football players wore leather helmets.  the rest of the world has figured out how to evolve.  why have we not?

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

so it's been what, 4-5 months since whatever school shooting got this thread going again, and i declared that i would not be participating in any rational debate on the subject, because of my admitted closed-mindedness and inability to see any merit on the other side.

i was hit with arguments about well trained sentries at schools.  i was reminded of how constitutional it is to be able to have guns in your house to defend your family against a home invasion.  and then when i asked why the guns were allowed outside the house, i was patronized and told tales that started with, "well, obviously i'm gonna take my guns with me if i'm on vacation with my family."  obviously.

when i said i thought there was no reasonable purpose for guns to exist at all outside the military and police force, i was lectured about hunting license income, and even got a couple of pm's from folks worried i was being too stubborn and not seeing the big picture, not to mention ignoring "family traditions" that go back generations.

doctors used leeches, cocaine, and heroin as medical treatment.  people were shot out of cannons and football players wore leather helmets.  the rest of the world has figured out how to evolve.  why have we not?

Because people like shooting guns. Just like people don’t mind spending a shit ton on healthcare. Just like people think Marijuana is the devil. 

This country was created on freedom, but there is a deep Puritan craziness rooted in this country, and anything that’s not beaver cleaver is considered the devil, and a good wholesome American hunts and fishes 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

spacer.png

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

We've proven there's literally nothing we will do to stop this 

money is the most powerful behavior changer.  Make guns, or certain types, so expensive, out of reach of ordinary people. Overtax them, as with cigarettes.  If a rifle costs $800, make it $7,000. Money is the universal elixir.

seth-ator.jpg?quality=65&strip=all

Seth Ator has been identified as the accused gunman who was shot and killed by police after a rampage in Odessa and Midland, Texas, according to the Associated Press. Police said the shooter was taken down by officers at the Cinergy movie complex in Odessa. The incident began around 3:15 p.m. local time on Saturday, August 31, as an attempted traffic stop along Interstate 20.

3 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

His social media was scrubbed before they announced his name.

I wondered why they were being cagey about his identity in the press conference earlier.

What do y’all bet he posted some inflammatory and Trumpy stuff?

We all know he’s Antifa.

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

How fucking old are you?  I was born in 1966.  

Then you are old enough to remember the Assault Weapons Ban, that lasted for a decade, and only went away because Congress didn't renew it, even though Republicans and the NRA challenged it in the courts year-after-fucking-year.

Guess what?  This shit is building up momentum, and when the Dems retake the Senate and the WH, and they will within the next few election cycles, they are going to come out with the AWB 2.0, and its creators are going to have 10 years of court challenges from the AWB to make it even more airtight (and get rid of a lot of the loopholes present in the AWB), and probably a helluva lot more restrictive.

6 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

When did this stuff skyrocket?  Right after the advent of the 24 hour news channel and just before the popularity of the internet skyrocketed as well.  

24-hour news channels started in 1980, almost 20 years before Columbine.  The internet became mainstream around 2001-2002 (based on actual access and usage of the general population - sorry, AOL and BBSes don't count), which was after the modern era of mass shootings kicked off.  And Reagan and the GOP basically killed off some of the best chances at mental healthcare in the mid-to-later 1980s that a lot of these nuts would later need.

When the FBI released their study back in 2014 (after Sandy Hook), from 2000-2006, there were an average of 6.4 such shootings, with 120 deaths.   From 2007-2013, there were an average of 16.4 such shootings, with 366 deaths.  

We can spend all day arguing about what the kids are doing on the internet when these shootings picked up in 2007, or whether Fox News and the Chans and reddit are radicalizing the more recent shooters, but it boils down to this:  We know there is a definite problem, the stats are there for a definite up-tick, and many of these shooters had mental health issues and run-ins with law enforcement/whatever mental healthcare was available in their areas.

We also know this:  the NRA and GOP deliberately (and maliciously) blocked every bit of legislation they could relating to red-flag laws, better background checks (tied into the red-flag system), mental healthcare, etc.

In other words, if you asked the NRA and GOP to prepare for a hurricane (gun control), their response is to say "we'll buy plywood and bottled water after we see how many windows get knocked out by debris, and how bad the water system is."

The NRA and GOP are doing their best to shut down red flag laws, better/universal background checks, etc., and so every time one of these shooters goes nuts and does their thing, the NRA and GOP are making sure that the Dems will have the ammo to push out AWB 2.0.

Of course, when we get the AWB 2.0, it will be great for the NRA and GOP,  because they can fundraise off of their opposition to it.  They stand to make a shitload of money from it.  Along with the Rush Limbaughs, Sean Hannitys, Tucker Carlsons, etc.

• Like 5

Nah I’m guessing the police have already been talking to family and recommended they delete his stuff or LEOs had his phone and did it.

I doubt that police could have gotten the necessary paperwork and warrants completed this fast. Google, Twitter etc. wouldn’t just do what they want without all that. That’s not how they roll.

15 hours ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

No. Legislation can change society. Society used to be abundant with cigarette smokers. Hell, doctors told pregnant women to smoke. It wasn't a problem 40-50 years ago, and then we found out they were bad. So we restricted them, taxed them, made it generally harder to purchase while government paid for commercials ran to inform the populace of the ills of smoking. How prevalent is cigarette smoking now?

Government actions changed society. Stop regurgitating bull shit. 

"We can't do anything to mitigate these mass killings"  says the only country prone to mass killings.  

Using EMAW's fallacious logic, we should have no laws because some laws don't work. Fuck. Put 330 million people in the U.S. and allow the free flow of weapons of mass destruction and you're going to have an endless series of pointless tragedies.   

Drug prohibtions do not work because they're working against an inner human drive, a human need.  Assault rifles don't speak to any innate human need, as countries like Sweden make all-to-clear.  

Thoughts and prayers to those affected.

If you bookmark this post, you can just copy and paste the statement above onto your favorite social media outlet every time this happens.  At the rate we're going, it could save you hundreds of keystrokes by the end of 2019.

Since Biden is going to be the Dem candidate for president, what is his policy proposition to stop the weekly carnage in the inner cities of Baltimore, Chicago, and out on the random ranges of midland, ohio, el paso, orlando, etc, etc?

• Fuck You 8

2 minutes ago, zork said:

Since Biden is going to be the Dem candidate for president, what is his policy proposition to stop the weekly carnage in the inner cities of Baltimore, Chicago, and out on the random ranges of midland, ohio, el paso, orlando, etc, etc?

Don't be stupid, Trump said he would fix it within a week and he was the only one that could

1 hour ago, zork said:

First off, Biden will not be the Dem nominee.

Second, why can't Trumpkins see the difference between gang/drug shootings in places like Baltimore/Chicago and random mass shooting targeting innocent people?

I'll give you a hint...gang members and drug dealers know the risks they are taking.  Everyday people going to churches/temples/mosques and Wal-Marts shouldn't be worried about getting killed by some incel with a high powered semi-automatic rifle.

It's really not that hard.

3 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

First off, Biden will not be the Dem nominee.

Second, why can't Trumpkins see the difference between gang/drug shootings in places like Baltimore/Chicago and random mass shooting targeting innocent people?

I'll give you a hint...gang members and drug dealers know the risks they are taking.  Everyday people going to churches/temples/mosques and Wal-Marts shouldn't be worried about getting killed by some incel with a high powered semi-automatic rifle.

It's really not that hard.

So you are saying it isn't the guns, then?  We need to round up all the gang members, drug dealers, and incels?

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 5

• Pancho changed the title to Active shooter thread