2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

Catching up on this thread is a beating I won’t soon forget.  Tom fucking Herman?  I can’t wait for all the revisionist posts down the road praising sark as he turns this ship around.   If you can’t see it coming then get your eyes checked.    From the proven staff in place to the recruits they are bringing in (especially in the trenches) to the newly funded payroll … there is literally nothing pointing down.  All arrows are pointing up.  

Herman and his G5 Jackwagons drove this program into the ground.  No line play and they absolutely survived on Sam hero ball and drove him into the ground in the process.  

Just enjoy the ride.  I wouldn’t want to play this team come November and beyond when this offense is clicking.   Wish I was on campus for  it instead of the shit late 80s.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Sorry to drop some fall camp news in the fall camp thread, but here you go.

Hide contents

Two “injured players” who should return to full strength soon are Jahdae Barron and Kelvin Banks. Barron has returned to drill work but isn’t out there in team. Kelvin Banks didn’t practice today, but that’s precautionary. When he was dinged up on Saturday we mentioned he was fine but might miss a practice or two. Sark said basically the same thing on Monday. Nothing to worry about.

Tuesday’s practice was full pads, but they didn’t do quite as much team offense versus defense work as usual. They did some, however, and Bijan Robinson had the play of the day. More on that in a bit.

They did work together as a team on things like the run game (run force for the defense) and a good amount of 7 on 7.

Beyond the obvious physical gifts, we’re hearing the right things about Quinn Ewers. He’s making better decisions and has been more accurate the last few practices. “He’s looking better and better. More comfortable with the playbook and the receivers. He’s smart and knows the receivers well, mainly what he can and can’t get away with.” 

IT asked about the receivers and heard “what stood out was they did a good job holding onto the ball even with some rain.” 

Tarique Milton, the Iowa State transfer who sat out the scrimmage on Saturday, was back out on the field. He’s still working behind Jordan Whittington at slot receiver, however, as you know they run a lot of 12 personnel and that means playing outside as well. 

We saw it last year, but the receivers aren’t nearly as tied to a certain fit as they were under CBS’s new sports commentator. Sure, like Herman, Sark prefers the bigger body in the boundary if he has one, but sometimes even Xavier Worthy will line up there. On the flip side, Whittington will even line up to the field.

The highlight of the day was a Bijan Robinson one-handed snag while contorting his body then putting a move on the DB once he landed. Now Ewers knows what he can get away with when it comes to throwing Robinson’s way.

Like the offense, the defense has a couple different identities like we saw last year. They like their base look, they like their nickel look. If they’re in nickel, then Jaylan Ford and DeMarvion Overshown are the Mike and Will respectively. In base, Overshown moves to Sam and Diamonte Tucker-Dorseycomes on the field to play Will. @Kellenmo has asked how often will they be in each look? “They’re going to play both a lot. It will depend on what the offense is doing. They feel good about all three linebackers, and Gbendatoo.” That’s about the non-answer I expected.

We asked a follow up, who is the better Will between Overshown and Tucker-Dorsey? “That’s tough because we haven’t seen Tuck in real game action. I think he’ll be pretty good. Overshown is playing his best ball by far, though.”

The defensive line continues to give their counterparts trouble. Again, we had to ask questions, especially on the heels of last year when the defensive line got the better of the offensive line. What’s different? “Improved quickness off the ball, better job of running to the ball, and the linebackers are doing a better job getting them into the right position. I don’t care if it’s an inside, they’re being forced to bounce it outside.” 

Take it with a grain of salt. I’m not discounting the sources at all — this iswhat is happening in practice — but nobody knows how it will translate to the field.

Not to forget the secondary, but JD Coffey and Kitan Crawford are said to be on a good run of practices. I don’t think the starters are in danger but depth sounds like it’s improving.

we’re hearing the right things about Quinn Ewers. He’s making better decisions and has been more accurate the last few practices. “He’s looking better and better. 

smirk dwight GIF

Yeah as soon as Sark named him starter Ewers magically went from being down behind Card and throwing tons of picks to being so much better. These fuckers are shameless. 

Edited by Hermanator
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

1) Nobody “looses” anything unless they’re sailing and working with knots. 

2) DKR retired after that season because he decided to spit the bit. That’s not a good example of where we want to see the program headed. 

3) They went 11-1 in Aker’s first year and shit the bed to Notre Dame, I thought?

Anyway, have all the hope and optimism you want. Just want to make sure we’re in the same dimension with some of you cats. 

As to football IQ, the poster you’re buddying up to spent a better part of his Sunday trying to educate the board that $9.95ers don’t make any money, and if they were awesome, they’d be working in the high-paying industry of personnel scouting for NFL teams. You’ve partnered up with someone special, for sure. 

1. Or archery 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I don't think I've seen one like Ricky since. Peterson maybe in some ways was as dominant when healthy. I'll take 75% of RW's production from Bijan this year and that probably gets him to NY and Texas with 8+ wins, I imagine.

Derrick Henry's junior season was pretty ridiculous. I'd still take Ricky.

Edited by Hornlover

26 minutes ago, PatSolitanojr said:

Haven't read all of yall's incredibly long bickering. But in the age of NIL, Tom Herman would have a roster of 40 shitty receivers and 40 shitty DB's. Although, we could still pretend to put on imaginary backpacks on the sideline. That's always fun. 

Well for his scheme to work (the one that aided the Buckeyes) you need a better than average TE ….ideally two…so…also the Big12 defenses learned, for the most part, pretty quick how to shut it down. And if they didn’t learn how to do it or didn’t have the personel to do so, Herman himself would shit on our chances of winning by opening up his folder of chance and analytics run the same play three times on 2nd, 3rd and 4th down in the red zone and forget we could kick field goals. So there’s that. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

11 hours ago, closetojumping said:

No shit? You'd have said the same about Saban.

Oh, bullshit. Saban actually knows how to coach and is humble enough to keep learning how to be better. He adds new schemes as the game develops. What Saban knows is a constantly moving target. He isn't running the same stuff he did 5 years ago, which is different from 10 years ago. 

Urban knew RPO back before anyone else did, and bullied his staff and players back when they had no transfer options, no NIL hopes. He hasn't changed, but the game has changed around him.

I know, I know... Saban? Humble? Well, shit yeah, fuckers. You don't have extended success over a 15-year period if you're doing the same things.

10 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Oh, bullshit. Saban actually knows how to coach and is humble enough to keep learning how to be better. He adds new schemes as the game develops. What Saban knows is a constantly moving target. He isn't running the same stuff he did 5 years ago, which is different from 10 years ago. 

Urban knew RPO back before anyone else did, and bullied his staff and players back when they had no transfer options, no NIL hopes. He hasn't changed, but the game has changed around him.

I know, I know... Saban? Humble? Well, shit yeah, fuckers. You don't have extended success over a 15-year period if you're doing the same things.

Rimbo, ladies and gentlemen!! Surly’s most seasoned performance artist!

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Rimbo, ladies and gentlemen!! Surly’s most seasoned performance artist!

I grew up down the street from him. He was certainly a performer but I never saw him mime in the cul-de-sac or anything. Lol…

Edited by Nicole44
Fuck auto correct
  • Haha 2

If there’s one thing I want to harp on, it’s our edge talent and defense overall. Not hitting on Ochaun Mathis is a big problem. PK was pig-headed last season and refused to adjust any of his schemes/gameplans to fit personnel. If he does that crap again, he should be left on the tarmac. In fact, leave Choate and Bo Davis there with him. I’ve never seen a worse front 7. 

Edited by Sal

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Sorry to drop some fall camp news in the fall camp thread, but here you go.

Hide contents

Two “injured players” who should return to full strength soon are Jahdae Barron and Kelvin Banks. Barron has returned to drill work but isn’t out there in team. Kelvin Banks didn’t practice today, but that’s precautionary. When he was dinged up on Saturday we mentioned he was fine but might miss a practice or two. Sark said basically the same thing on Monday. Nothing to worry about.

Tuesday’s practice was full pads, but they didn’t do quite as much team offense versus defense work as usual. They did some, however, and Bijan Robinson had the play of the day. More on that in a bit.

They did work together as a team on things like the run game (run force for the defense) and a good amount of 7 on 7.

Beyond the obvious physical gifts, we’re hearing the right things about Quinn Ewers. He’s making better decisions and has been more accurate the last few practices. “He’s looking better and better. More comfortable with the playbook and the receivers. He’s smart and knows the receivers well, mainly what he can and can’t get away with.” 

IT asked about the receivers and heard “what stood out was they did a good job holding onto the ball even with some rain.” 

Tarique Milton, the Iowa State transfer who sat out the scrimmage on Saturday, was back out on the field. He’s still working behind Jordan Whittington at slot receiver, however, as you know they run a lot of 12 personnel and that means playing outside as well. 

We saw it last year, but the receivers aren’t nearly as tied to a certain fit as they were under CBS’s new sports commentator. Sure, like Herman, Sark prefers the bigger body in the boundary if he has one, but sometimes even Xavier Worthy will line up there. On the flip side, Whittington will even line up to the field.

The highlight of the day was a Bijan Robinson one-handed snag while contorting his body then putting a move on the DB once he landed. Now Ewers knows what he can get away with when it comes to throwing Robinson’s way.

Like the offense, the defense has a couple different identities like we saw last year. They like their base look, they like their nickel look. If they’re in nickel, then Jaylan Ford and DeMarvion Overshown are the Mike and Will respectively. In base, Overshown moves to Sam and Diamonte Tucker-Dorseycomes on the field to play Will. @Kellenmo has asked how often will they be in each look? “They’re going to play both a lot. It will depend on what the offense is doing. They feel good about all three linebackers, and Gbendatoo.” That’s about the non-answer I expected.

We asked a follow up, who is the better Will between Overshown and Tucker-Dorsey? “That’s tough because we haven’t seen Tuck in real game action. I think he’ll be pretty good. Overshown is playing his best ball by far, though.”

The defensive line continues to give their counterparts trouble. Again, we had to ask questions, especially on the heels of last year when the defensive line got the better of the offensive line. What’s different? “Improved quickness off the ball, better job of running to the ball, and the linebackers are doing a better job getting them into the right position. I don’t care if it’s an inside, they’re being forced to bounce it outside.” 

Take it with a grain of salt. I’m not discounting the sources at all — this iswhat is happening in practice — but nobody knows how it will translate to the field.

Not to forget the secondary, but JD Coffey and Kitan Crawford are said to be on a good run of practices. I don’t think the starters are in danger but depth sounds like it’s improving.

I've noticed a bit of a different approach to these inside sources from the $9.95ers lately. Too often, the sources have been treated like football experts when they're probably just walk-ons or trainers or some shit. Even their "objective observations" (i.e. "Improved quickness off the ball, better job of running to the ball, and the linebackers are doing a better job getting them into the right position.") are judgments. Tell us what happened (i.e. Bijan had a one-handed catch) but I'm not going to trust their judgment calls anymore, if I ever did.

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

I grew up down the street from him. He was certainly a performer but I never saw him mime in the cul-de-sac or anything. Lol…

god dammit nicole, i sent you invitations and everything

"not watching any nerd in variegated tights on a school night" I believe was the precise phrase you used

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, Sal said:

If there’s one thing I want to harp on, it’s our edge talent and defense overall. Not hitting on Ochaun Mathis is a big problem. PK was pig-headed last season and refused to adjust any of his schemes/gameplans to fit personnel. If he does that crap again, he should be left on the tarmac. In fact, leave Choate and Bo Davis there with him. I’ve never seen a worse front 7. 

Lol… PK literally adjusted his scheme last season to a 3-3-5 after Jacoby Jones went down… Unfortunately, no schematic shift could rectify shitty players, shitty depth and shitty effort.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, ATXhorn17 said:

Lol… PK literally adjusted his scheme last season to a 3-3-5 after Jacoby Jones went down… Unfortunately, no schematic shift could rectify shitty players, shitty depth and shitty effort.

What adjustments did he make exactly by doing things like giving wrs 10 yard cushions on third and 1 for easy pitch and catch first downs? What about playing your safeties in a two deep on fourth and short when the other team needs a first down to run out the clock late in the fourth quarter?

I'm all for beer bonging the kool-aid but they did some remarkably incomprehensible shit last season on defense, disregarding whatever personnel, schematic or effort issues they had. This isn't Belichek-level game planning shit. This is like somebody's dad coaching a pee wee team level adjustments. It's the biggest thing that gives me pause about the upcoming season. Pretty much everything else that went wrong last year I can rationalize away or find a way to be optimistic about going forward. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Our real issue being no transfer portal OL. 

What a strange punchline. While Sark's failure in the portal to supplement the front 7 on D is likely more egregious, not getting quality portal transfers for the o-line the past 2 offseason pisses me off more. Why? Bijan. This guy should leave Texas at the same level as Ricky and Earl. Imagine if, in Sark's first offseason, we got the 2 o-linemen who started for Baylor last season and who are starters again for them this season on an o-line that is considered to be a top 10 unit in college football. We would have had a winning season and Bijan would have been in NY at the end of 2021. Maybe you just don't like Bijan. Maybe all you care about is ad hominem attacks on message boards. I think you like scoring points with the idiots here who are convinced everything is fine and we will win 10 games. 

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

What adjustments did he make exactly by doing things like giving wrs 10 yard cushions on third and 1 for easy pitch and catch first downs? What about playing your safeties in a two deep on fourth and short when the other team needs a first down to run out the clock late in the fourth quarter?

Terry Joseph calls the back end of the defense.  Coincidentally that's the area Patterson coordinated when he split duties with Bumpas at TCU.

37 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

What a strange punchline. While Sark's failure in the portal to supplement the front 7 on D is likely more egregious, not getting quality portal transfers for the o-line the past 2 offseason pisses me off more. Why? Bijan. This guy should leave Texas at the same level as Ricky and Earl. Imagine if, in Sark's first offseason, we got the 2 o-linemen who started for Baylor last season and who are starters again for them this season on an o-line that is considered to be a top 10 unit in college football. We would have had a winning season and Bijan would have been in NY at the end of 2021. Maybe you just don't like Bijan. Maybe all you care about is ad hominem attacks on message boards. I think you like scoring points with the idiots here who are convinced everything is fine and we will win 10 games. 

Offensive lines get better with coaching, reps, and age. I’m actually pretty confident this line will be pretty good. In addition, better QB, TE, and WR play will make the offensive line’s job a lot easier.  

I’m not sold on the defensive line 995er hype, but I have hope that our defense will be better because it is nearly statistically impossible for it to be worse.

I predict 7-5, the floor is 6-6, the ceiling 8-4. I can’t see this team overcoming a bad day on the road and winning ugly like Mack’s teams used to do. Every team has bad games. Great teams find a way to win those, but they usually don’t have freshmen qb’s.

Edited by NoRagrets
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

After months of bitching, whining, and moaning from the fetal position about not getting transfer portal offensive linemen you have now come to the conclusion that it was more egregious to not go after transfers on the defensive front 7? You know, they actually did go after people on the defensive front seven and apparently got a starting linebacker? Dude, stop living in the past with what didn't happen. You don't like Sark we get it. Most of us don't give a flying fuck what you think about the lack of portal transfers. Oh but Baylor......Fuck off with that shit and fuck Baylor. Everyone is tired of your schtick. You would have a better audience in your bathroom mirror. Your shit is old and like a record player that is skipping playing the same shit over and over and over.

You have yet to make one cogent point about our football program. You take a stand on nothing other than a blind allegiance to Sark. You are the smile on a dog. 

1 minute ago, JFKFC said:

You have yet to make one cogent point about our football program. You take a stand on nothing other than a blind allegiance to Sark. You are the smile on a dog. 

I'm not allegiant to Sark, I just want him to win and don't expect him to do it the way you want him to do it. He has said repeatedly he wants to build this program from the ground up. 

My point is......You are a whiny bitch who keeps repeating the same paragraph over and over with slightly different words. It is in the past dude, you can't change it, he ain't going through the portal to significantly change this roster. He has a pretty good foundation from recruiting right now. This is being built for the long term but your blind hatred for the man in charge is keeping you from looking past him not doing what you wanting him to do.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

I just want him to win and don't expect him to do it the way you want him to do it. He has said repeatedly he wants to build this program from the ground up. 

You are making it clear you agree with Sark and don't want to sign transfers for our o-line & d-line. A few points:

- The only season we've had worth a shit out of the last 12 we had a transfer at Left Tackle

- Bama signed an o-lineman through the portal & Ohio State signed a d-lineman through the portal, both of whom will start this season. I guess those schools don't know how to build a program or to get to the playoffs.

- Both Baylor and Kansas signed lineman through the portal before last season and beat us. 

- It is possible to recruit freshmen well AND to get portal transfers to keep seasons from being disasters

12 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

You are a whiny bitch who keeps repeating the same paragraph over and over with slightly different words

We've won just one title over the last 50 years. We've had one good season in the last 12...all while our fans have made our football program the most valuable and our athletics department the wealthiest in the country. I think we have earned the right to be upset. People are going to complain, especially with Sark making many terrible decisions. This season is going to suck. If you don't like people ripping Sark you are in the wrong place. Go to IT and blindly grab your ankles. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1