• Replies 36.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• crash_davis

• nnm

• Armybrat

• Message Board User

I just left a work lunch where we had a discussion about the maps issue with the younger generation. We have a new college grad in the group who was aghast when we were talking about navigating without GPS/GoogleMaps.  I was trying to explain to her about looking at maps, planning the trip ahead of time and then looking for highway numbers on street signs. 

She looked like a lost puppy. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I just left a work lunch where we had a discussion about the maps issue with the younger generation. We have a new college grad in the group who was aghast when we were talking about navigating without GPS/GoogleMaps.  I was trying to explain to her about looking at maps, planning the trip ahead of time and then looking for highway numbers on street signs. 

Confused Thinking GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

That's a common gender issue. Some people, often women, cannot read a map at all. They need step by step direction. My lady is Gen x and she Has to use the step by step function on Google maps with the map itself not on screen. Her brain doesn't process the map. This can lead her blindly following Google maps through all sorts of dumb assery. So, she drives, I navigate on trips. Unless she's premenstrual, which causes her to drive like a grandma then I do both.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

I spent 6 months in SoCal right after college in a sales office rotation. The training class rotation guys were free labor for that office and they would get tasked with all of the bullshit none of the full time sales guys wanted to take care of. Which meant driving all the fuck over LA, Orange, Riverside, and San Bernadino counties to distributors, customers, job sites etc.... I think I had two separate spiral-bound Thomas guides (LA/Orange and SB/Riverside) each probably a couple of hundred pages. They were the shit back before GPS and smartphones. 

image.png.253db7c2a73b6f4f6949ac5231e6b68c.png

Yup.  Look up the address in the back, find the page and the corresponding grid reference, and figure out which fucked up freeway to take in order to get there.  Right of passage in SoCal back in the day. @Sbbruin still probably has his.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

You could really mess her up with one of these…

(Mrs. Brat’s 65 year old Girl Scout GPS)

6D2AEEBC-8E71-4673-AB47-BDCB8B31C2D3.jpeg

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Born to Run said:
1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

That's a common gender issue. Some people, often women, cannot read a map at all. They need step by step direction. My lady is Gen x and she Has to use the step by step function on Google maps with the map itself not on screen. Her brain doesn't process the map. This can lead her blindly following Google maps through all sorts of dumb assery. So, she drives, I navigate on trips. Unless she's premenstrual, which causes her to drive like a grandma then I do both.

Yeah, there's definitely a gender element to it as well. But it's also completely generational.  My kids are clueless about maps, despite my efforts.

God help them if they are ever trying to go somewhere new and lose cell service.  I'll have to send out a search party.

1 hour ago, Upgrayedd said:

Yup.  Look up the address in the back, find the page and the corresponding grid reference, and figure out which fucked up freeway to take in order to get there.  Right of passage in SoCal back in the day. @Sbbruin still probably has his.

Not anymore, but I always had one in my car up to maybe early 2000's.  The LA Bible back in the day.  But I had the city so wired back then I could usually make my way from anywhere to anywhere.  Now I just dummy it with Waze.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Were you laughing while you washed his mouth out with soap?

Nah. I've told him before "You can talk like that around me. You can talk like that around your Grandfather. But if you say that in front a teacher, your grandmother or your mom. You blame Schwartz, because I ain't coming to your defense."

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Not anymore, but I always had one in my car up to maybe early 2000's.  The LA Bible back in the day.  But I had the city so wired back then I could usually make my way from anywhere to anywhere.  Now I just dummy it with Waze.

The Thomas Guide with lots of Post-it notes as bookmarks was my best friend when I moved to Orange County in 1998. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

The fact that people have no concept of actual, paper maps is absurd.

Drives me insane.  I cant wait until some massive satellite outage and no one leaves their house because they wont know how to get anywhere.

• Hook 'Em 1

"Give me a stopwatch and a map and I'll fly the Alps in a plane with no windows."  /THFRO

I had a proclivity for maps and direction and logistics (my father's trade) as a young kid, then as a boy scout, and after that.  Came to find out both sides of my family going back centuries were not famous or nobility.  But were cartographers, naval navigators, and celestial navigators.  Helped explain why I was a night owl and could read maps almost instantly, plot routes, and determine timing within minutes of actuality without use of a calculator or smart phone.  I was never beaten in orienteering and could tell you within a minute either way how much time any of the routes would take, even after dusk.  Using nothing but a legal pad, my father could plot the routes and returns of 50 trucks more accurately than a computer in less than an hour.  I can't quite accomplish that, but I could get close.  I have navigated weeks on the water in Canada, Latin America, 41 states, West Africa, and much of Europe with nothing more than a compass and the stars.  

I am 46 now.  I live in a fairly closed-off neighborhood of about 100 homes.  I go for walks now before bed to clear my head and as part of my spiritual recovery.  We only have about 10 streets and I get lost almost every night especially when it's not cloudy.  And I just got my renewed security clearance from the U.S. Navy & U.S. Air Force.  So that's fun.  We live in a simulation, I once passed Armybrat by when leaving Lake Mead, and my people are never ever sick at sea.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Yeah, there's definitely a gender element to it as well. But it's also completely generational.  My kids are clueless about maps, despite my efforts.

God help them if they are ever trying to go somewhere new and lose cell service.  I'll have to send out a search party.

That’s on you. One of our road trip games is to give the kids a random town, state. They have to look in the back of the book for coordinates and then use the grid system to find the town. They actually came up with the idea for the game. Well, the smart one did anyway. 

• Like 1

If you really want to freak her out, tell her that families on road trips used to pull off the interstate close to sundown or whenever we got tired of driving for the day to find a motel. Preferably one with a pool and a diner. I’m looking at you, Howard Johnson’s and Holiday Inn.

bdca121f231d0276b652e73bd1e5a015.gif
  • Hook 'Em 2

I was an insurance adjuster in the 90s.  

new town? Get a mapsco for the win. And floppy drives. And Polaroid for documentation.   And math for hand calculations of roof, exterior, interior, whatever.  

Had a cell phone but no one to call.  Rough justice on a two story. 

EE174210-4328-49D1-AA71-4E79412C8513.png

Edited by Elvis
  • Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Elvis said:

I was an insurance adjuster in the 90s.  

new town? Get a mapsco for the win. And floppy drives. And Polaroid for documentation.   And math for hand calculations of roof, exterior, interior, whatever.  

Had a cell phone but no one to call.  Rough justice on a two story. 

EE174210-4328-49D1-AA71-4E79412C8513.png

Plus a steep pitch on that roof?

Edited by Armybrat

6 hours ago, miguelito said:

When I was in Seattle, I drove down to LA to meet some guys for a backpacking trip.  I lived close to I-5, and so did my buddy in LA, so the Mapquest directions were like:

Head West on NE 45th street for 1.2 miles.

Head South on I-5 for 1,127 miles.

Head West on ____ Street for 0.6 miles.

We used to live in the Pasadena area right off the old Route 66. 

I always thought it would have been fun to drive to see my best friend in Chicago (two blocks off route 66) and to visit my brother in OKC (one block away) and my parents in STL (quarter mile from 66) on the way. 

"Ok,let me see... Out the driveway, turn right and drive east for 2500 miles. We'll be there in no time!" 

videogame.gif

Edited by NWBuck
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Navigation is a learned skill. Many adults aided in me learning it. Be it by the sun or moon or stars, compass work, reading trail and terrain hiking or running a boat in heavy Fog off memorized headings and run times to find a duck blind in the dark. Lots of men taught me those skills.

I didn't just hop out the Womb and start driving.

We are all guilty for these kid's skill level being shit including myself. My 16yo sucks at driving. At 14 I could drive better and launch a boat, trailer a boat , saddle horses, gaff fish, catch bait, and serve cocktails better than he may ever be able.

Different Times.
  • Like 2