• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• crash_davis

• nnm

• Armybrat

• Message Board User

image.png.c2e89b457ae6af14530779d49dd49951.png

Heh ok… this is easy. The only one in that list that didn’t actually own in record, cassette or CD form… was echo and the bunnymen. Did not care for them, my older sister did but that was one that never interested me.

Actually as I think about it I don’t think I had a Wham! album… I had George Michael’s solo stuff.

Some of them might have also be 7” singles records…

Random question: why did the 7” records have that big hole that you needed the adapter for to play on the turntable

20 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Jukeboxes run on "large hole" 7" records

These records made their appearance in the 1950s, were/are played at 45 rpm and made of plastic. The previous generation of record players (and the following 33 1/3 rpm "album" records) had/have a very small central hole, and were not nearly as stable when stacked on the player's spindle. The bigger hole was more stable for stacked records and easier for the jukebox player mechanism to get on the spindle.

When I bought my first record player, they threw in two "free" 45s. For my choice, I picked a Porter Waggoner song called "It Tickles" and one called "Heartbreak Hotel". I really wanted Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 in C# minor, but it was only available on 78s.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

These records made their appearance in the 1950s, were/are played at 45 rpm and made of plastic. The previous generation of record players (and the following 33 1/3 rpm "album" records) had/have a very small central hole, and were not nearly as stable when stacked on the player's spindle. The bigger hole was more stable for stacked records and easier for the jukebox player mechanism to get on the spindle.
When I bought my first record player, they threw in two "free" 45s. For my choice, I picked a Porter Waggoner song called "It Tickles" and one called "Heartbreak Hotel". I really wanted Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 in C# minor, but it was only available on 78s.

YepIMG_5505.jpgIMG_5506.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, irishtexan said:

YepIMG_5505.jpgIMG_5506.jpg

Nice one.

I liked the systems with a little console gadget on the tables, where you could plunk in your coins and pick songs to play without having to walk all the way over to the juke box itself.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

I got my first record player for my 6th birthday in 1972.  My first two records were "A Horse with No Name" by America and "Brandy" by Looking Glass.

• Hook 'Em 3

21 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I got my first record player for my 6th birthday in 1972.  My first two records were "A Horse with No Name" by America and "Brandy" by Looking Glass.

“A horse with no name” is the all time worst song in my book. Worse than “McArthur Park” or even anything by Joni Mitchell. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Add in Challengers, Mustangs, Camaros, F150s/Silverados with the blinding LED lights

434180572_813938167428255_12905286419781

Pffft. We going to leave Dodge Ram out of this conversation? It should begin and end there. 

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Add in Challengers, Mustangs, Camaros, F150s/Silverados with the blinding LED lights

434180572_813938167428255_12905286419781

My wife's car has auto on/off brights.  It works well for oncoming traffic, but not for cars ahead of you.  You've got to be right on top of them for it to shut off.  I am constantly telling her to turn her fucking brights off when she's following someone.

• Rage+1 2

Thanks for info on records!

I had a ton and aunt had a honkytonk bar in Hutchins with the old juke box.

Never knew that but always had both size records growing up.

I just always knew I had to keep track of the plastic disc or else I was screwed. My dad and sisters always had the full size records but I would buy the singles since I was much younger and mowing money didn’t go as far!

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

I would transfer to a new high school and delete my facebook account permanently…

It’s probably in the comments, but I’m sure the idiot didn’t turn off his traction control. He probably doesn’t even know what that is. 

• Hook 'Em 1