Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

1 minute ago, MrBig said:

Our WRs had to stop, turn around, and come back to the ball to even have a chance at it. Of course there’s gonna be PI. How fucking hard is it for a 5-star to throw it to a receiver in stride beyond the sticks? 

this.  I think half the reason we aren't getting the PI calls is the throw is so fucking awful it looks like a jump ball.  the other half is Big 12 refs are on the take.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

His timing was pretty bad even on completed passes. I think of JWhitts big gain across the middle, he had to wait for the ball, there was one or two that way to x also

agreed.  he is late. not way late, but late enough that bigger plays could result.  that I can put up to rust in seeing live bullets in the first game.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, tonedeaf said:

Ok. But what about meaningful snaps in a competitive game.  Also,  folks are saying Murphy is a pure pocket passer.  Does that mean he can't run? If I were a DB, I'd rather have ewers coming at me than Murphy.  Honestly I don't think he has played enough to see. James brown was supposedly a terrible practice player.  

Ewers is a pocket passer also.  So is Manning.  neither would be described as a dual threat, though manning is more mobile of the 3.  Card is a dual threat, Sanders is a dual threat.

None of them are Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.  They are mobile enough.

33 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

I liked those brilliant 4th down plays by Sark. One was a goofy pass play that landed at Sanders' feet and the other one was a run up the middle that got blown up immediately. 

If by goofy pass play you mean an everyday RPO that was wide open for an easy first down with a decent throw, then yes it was “goofy”.

Your football analysis never ceases to amaze me.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Both 4th down play calls were easy conversions with execution. 

Sanders was wide open for a 1st down if it was a decent throw. A missed block on the other 4th down conversion was why it wasn't successful. Criticize the execution all you want but criticizing the play call is the type stupidity you expect from 6th street. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Both 4th down play calls were easy conversions with execution. 

Sanders was wide open for a 1st down if it was a decent throw. A missed block on the other 4th down conversion was why it wasn't successful. Criticize the execution all you want but criticizing the play call is the type stupidity you expect from 6th street. 

So, you are for the teams execution? :)

• Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

If by goofy pass play you mean an everyday RPO that was wide open for an easy first down with a decent throw, then yes it was “goofy”.

Your football analysis never ceases to amaze me.

It's also funny that he thinks running it up the middle on 4th and 1 against an undersized Rice front is somehow a bad play call. 

The feeling regarding the offense is likely different if the first possession yesterday wasn’t garbage and Brooks catches the easy TD.

He’s an anticipatory passer. He throws too soon on occasion because of this. When it works (Sanders TD) it’s awesome. When it doesn’t (Sanders face mask) it’s what the hell. Repetitions will/can help his patience.

As far as being the same dude as last year, there were no risky throws necessarily, but he’s looking to convert first downs with his legs. So no he isn’t exactly the same guy.

It was Rice. Who gives a damn. It was hot. It was never in doubt. In truth my preference is to not look great in game 1, but the realization that we need to focus and prepare properly for Bama is more important.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

4th down execution is still on the coach. You're either preaching it or you're allowing it.

I don’t know if I’m missing your point but I don’t know of one coach who doesn’t preach 4th down execution.

It’s like saying if a team plays with heart and tries hard they will be successful. That isn’t how this stupid game works.

5 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

4th down execution is still on the coach. You're either preaching it or you're allowing it.

The way they execute is on the coach only because he is responsible for the outcome no matter what. 

On that play, either Rice was expected to take the fake more than they did or Baxter was supposed to chip someone before leaking out into a route. Or things developed slower than they were supposed to. Either way, that drive was a comedy of errors. 

QE also stands for quantitative easing.  I'm not sure what that means but I'm certain it's significant.

He just looks uncomfortable.  Still.  When he looked good last year, he had kind of a Manziel energy of I'M MILDLY OUT OF SHAPE AND PROBABLY DRANK TOO MUCH LAST NIGHT AND I DIDN'T WATCH ANY FILM BUT I HAVE A MULLET AND F YOU

MM looks comfortable and confident.  I'm not sure he's a better option but body language was much better.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, ryskey said:

QE also stands for quantitative easing.  I'm not sure what that means but I'm certain it's significant.

He just looks uncomfortable.  Still.  When he looked good last year, he had kind of a Manziel energy of I'M MILDLY OUT OF SHAPE AND PROBABLY DRANK TOO MUCH LAST NIGHT AND I DIDN'T WATCH ANY FILM BUT I HAVE A MULLET AND F YOU

MM looks comfortable and confident.  I'm not sure he's a better option but body language was much better.

I've always thought he was a poor man's Jay Cutler. Put a lung dart in his mouth. 

DON'T CARRRRREEEEE

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I don’t know if I’m missing your point but I don’t know of one coach who doesn’t preach 4th down execution.

It’s like saying if a team plays with heart and tries hard they will be successful. That isn’t how this stupid game works.

I'm not talking about preaching anything. I'm talking about drilling the absolute fuck out of something until it is perfect. And if you have a player that still can't execute it after that, then find someone who will.

• Hook 'Em 3

I don’t think I can draw any conclusion from the passing game of this offense from the game yesterday due to running the most basic of concepts and not challenging the rice secondary with more complex stuff. I think the biggest negative was not being able to have our way in short yardage with their DL 

Well you can conclude they can’t execute said basic concepts against Rice and do what that info what you will
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

Re: the prospect of potentially benching QE in a game for performance issues… I’m not holding my breath. Anyone with two eyes and a pulse could see we would’ve likely won those Tech and Ok St games last year if he’d been benched for Card. We were joking Card must’ve fucked his wife or something. It was incomprehensible leaving him out there.

Well he was definitely benched in the Tech game
What gives you the impression that Maalik Murphy has the ability to stick his foot in the ground and get upfield in a hurry?

You know the answer

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

They're going to get pressure on him and dare him to beat them deep.

There isn't anything on tape that would suggest he's capable of executing in that environment.

Pretty much. 3rd and long will be a shitty place to be next Saturday. I keep hoping to see “IT” from Ewers. I saw some inspiring QB play yesterday from other QBs around the country. Just not from Quinn. Not that Quinn was bad necessarily but certainly hasn’t lived up to the major hype. I expected a lot more (that’s on me I guess.) I don’t think my eyes (I am capable of the burnt orange colored hue just like everyone else stoked about this season with how recruiting has been going) deceive me here. He looks average in comparison to all the hype and compared to the play I saw from other QBs yesterday. Took care of the ball well but we seem to be very limited with him. That’s my take. My issue with Sark last year was not using Bijan and Rojo effectively game over game. And hearing after the game from Sark that they should have leaned into the running game more. I was hoping for a big game yesterday from Quinn against Rice to show that ability to make special throws and better footwork than last year. I don’t see “IT” and that’s something you can’t hide. Everyone knows it when they see it. I haven’t lost hope but it seems like that star power we’ve been hearing so much about would be impossible to contain. I’d have settle for better footwork and better decision making on reads. Then I could say, that the throws will come and it’s only a matter of time before he puts it all together. I don’t see that either. Fuck it.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

They're going to get pressure on him and dare him to beat them deep.

There isn't anything on tape that would suggest he's capable of executing in that environment.

My hope is we can work the middle of the field with the quick passing game but I worry about Bama jumping that because they don’t fear the deep ball. 

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

In the middle of watching the replay now after being there live yesterday.

1) Not sure where that ‘no completions on passes that traveled more than 15 yards in the air’ stat comes from. There were several in the 3rd quarter alone. One to Worthy and one to Whittington.

2) There was PI on at least two of the deep shots. The one to Mitchell was atrocious mechanics as we all noted real time. There was a free rusher that had broken through and Ewers rushed everything in that play. 

3) His earlier deep shots looked better mechanics wise but once the OL kept leaking it seemed to get in his head

4) I thought he moved a little better in the pocket compared to last year but still self sacked at least once when he unnecessarily stepped into the front of the pocket and into the waiting arms of an engaged DL.

5) I wonder how the direction of the game changes if he doesn’t slip on that 3rd down scramble on the first possession of the game (get grass in DKR). Would have been an easy first down and probably much more. We score on that drive and the floodgates open much earlier and we are up 24-3 at half or some such.

6) This is a random observation that’d I’d have to dig in deeper to fully verify, but it seems we take the majority of our deep shots out of the pistol on play action where Ewers is turning his back for a brief moment to the defense and seems anxious to whip his head back around and see if the picture has changed. Wonder if we should be running these play action shots out of the traditional shotgun more where his shoulder and body stay more square.

Like I said yesterday, you can’t just abandon these deep throws because you have to mix them in to keep defenses honest and keep other aspects of the offense open. We could have screened and quick game’d Rice to 50 points yesterday without throwing downfield at all if we wanted but obviously you can’t get away with that against better defenses.

425 yards and 37 points in 3 quarters never felt more meh. One of those field goals turn into a TD in the first half and the box score looks much prettier.

Watched the Nash replay as well and came away with Ewers having a decent game. He’s just wildly inconsistent at times and especially with his mechanics, as many have noted. 
There is still time for him to flip the switch and I’m definitely not as down on him as some are but as of right now I’m telling myself that he won’t live up to the high expectations. Ewers is still a high upside qb and one we can win the conference with if the defense keeps trending upwards. 

Side note: AD Mitchell is horrible at blocking. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The "strength" of the Rice defense is in their corners.  That doesn't excuse shitty deep balls by Ewers.  

What it REALLY doesn't excuse is a pretty lame rushing attack (4.1 ypc) against a team that gave up 5.3 ypc against lesser teams last year.  This offensive line appears to have problems.  That's not gonna help Ewers out one bit.

• Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Pretty much. 3rd and long will be a shitty place to be next Saturday. I keep hoping to see “IT” from Ewers. I saw some inspiring QB play yesterday from other QBs around the country. Just not from Quinn. Not that Quinn was bad necessarily but certainly hasn’t lived up to the major hype. I expected a lot more (that’s on me I guess.) I don’t think my eyes (I am capable of the burnt orange colored hue just like everyone else stoked about this season with how recruiting has been going) deceive me here. He looks average in comparison to all the hype and compared to the play I saw from other QBs yesterday. Took care of the ball well but we seem to be very limited with him. That’s my take. My issue with Sark last year was not using Bijan and Rojo effectively game over game. And hearing after the game from Sark that they should have leaned into the running game more. I was hoping for a big game yesterday from Quinn against Rice to show that ability to make special throws and better footwork than last year. I don’t see “IT” and that’s something you can’t hide. Everyone knows it when they see it. I haven’t lost hope but it seems like that star power we’ve been hearing so much about would be impossible to contain. I’d have settle for better footwork and better decision making on reads. Then I could say, that the throws will come and it’s only a matter of time before he puts it all together. I don’t see that either. Fuck it.

when he regressed late last year instead of improving the die was cast.  We can win with him but he's a David Ash/game manager at this point which means the OL/Run game and D have to be nails.  oh and ST's need to not be a negative.  make your FG's under 50 and don't give up big returns.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The "strength" of the Rice defense is in their corners.  That doesn't excuse shitty deep balls by Ewers.  

What it REALLY doesn't excuse is a pretty lame rushing attack (4.1 ypc) against a team that gave up 5.3 ypc against lesser teams last year.  This offensive line appears to have problems.  That's not gonna help Ewers out one bit.

Run game got better after the first few drives. That last give up drive in the 4th hurt our yards per carry average, especially the bad snap that Red picked up for a loss of 9. We were around 4.5 yards per carry prior to that.

We weren’t very varied with our run game looks which I guess shouldn’t be surprising. Lots of  inside zone with a few sweeps. Didn’t try or show any of the usual Keilan stuff we use to get him involved.

16 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Pretty much. 3rd and long will be a shitty place to be next Saturday. 

As opposed to all the times when it’s a glorious place?

You don’t necessarily have to beat pressure deep. Fast guys catching the ball and running can do that, and it’s even more conducive to beating pressure. 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

when he regressed late last year instead of improving the die was cast.  We can win with him but he's a David Ash/game manager at this point which means the OL/Run game and D have to be nails.  oh and ST's need to not be a negative.  make your FG's under 50 and don't give up big returns.

It’s just frustrating. Not to see him so far live up to the hype but as you said that’s not fatal. It’s mistakes (how many teams made those errors—an INT or fumble yesterday that cost them) that will kill us. I’d  love to see the defense get 2-3 (three yesterday) turnovers a game. That could be pivotal if Quinn or anyone on the offense doesn’t turn the ball over. Just game manage it as best we can. That said it doesn’t look inspiring. We have lights out talent. We should be able to will our way to a win. Especially in our conference. And I know we didn’t show all our goodies bc of Bama next weekend but I doubt if they’re watching Texas play they are intimidated by our QB play. As far as MM he definitely has a presence. A swagger. Jmo—does that mean he’s the guy over Quinn? Does that mean he gives a best chance to win? I can’t answer that. No he’s not VY but he has a presence and that presence isn’t what I see from Quinn. None of us have gotten to see what MM can do for a whole game. And I don’t think Archie when his time comes will regress mechanics wise like Quinn appears to have done or at least not improved as I had expected. He certainly reverts. I don’t know if this team with Quinn is built to come from behind or put up huge scores in a hurry. I just see a lot of air balls in our future. I want to be wrong. Game manager type with no deep ball threat no major improvements to his footwork and reads was not what I expected to see. It’s not sky is falling bad. It’s just not at all what I was lead to expect we’d see from Quinn. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 4

31 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

I remember MM completing 2 beautiful deep balls in the spring game, one was to Cook for a touchdown. I don’t recall Ewers completing one in the spring game.

The one was a moon ball vs a walk on, that’s not really applicable to live games. Quinn has thrown them vs Washington and Bama off the top of my head. The thing that is bothering me, is it appears Quinn isn’t willing to trade a hit for a big completion. The AD Mitchell throws sticks out. He threw a fade away off his back foot, instead of stepping into it and probably taking a solid hit 

Edited by Codaxx

• immamac changed the title to Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet