Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

55 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Just now watching my replay -- can someone explain how the play to X down the right sideline about 10 minutes in (score 7-3) wasn't a penalty on their CB 1?  I mean, he didn't make a play on the ball, he pretty much tackled X as he tried to bring in an admittedly underthrown pass.  I'm no ref, and we didn't seem to argue, but . . .

This is how it's going to be all season.  Even more of a reason not to throw deep all the time, imo.  Even if Ewers can get it there, we will have CBs draped all over us and get no calls.

1 minute ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

During the game Huard noted that Ewers didn’t miss a single pass in practice on Friday. None. He has to throw deep balls in practice so something is not clicking on Saturday’s. What that is who knows but it is frustrating for sure.

It’s not just the deep balls. His throw on the first 4th down was pretty poor. How you get someone out of his mental funk and ready to do what he’s physically capable of doing isn’t straightforward. Sooner would be better than later. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Sack > interception 

I agree but you’re still just mad at a statistic because it doesn’t fit your narrative this time. Like any stat sometimes there will be things that don’t quite lineup. QBR overvalues running the ball by QBs in my opinion. That doesn’t make it worthless.

IMG_6322.thumb.jpeg.5cd7f3befdcc24adb29d19930ef3eb98.jpeg

This list looks pretty good

3 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

It’s not like he should be immune from criticism. 

It’s college football. No one is immune from criticism. There are probably LSU fans who want their entire staff fired.

6th street provides very little substance with his comments. It’s mostly blanket statements that are stupid like “I would just tell a corner to never cover downfield against Texas”  or “so and so sucks” with no evidence or supporting commentary.

AJ Milwee’s job goes a whole lot deeper than QB footwork. Reminds me of people who think a corners coach has to have some sort of special qualification to teach DB’s to defend downfield passes while turning their head.

7 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Legitimately that might be true. The complete lack of growth in footwork is crazy

Or did he revert to bad habits under live fire? Tough to know since all we have are 3rd hand reports from fall camp. The reason I suggest this as a possibility is I'm pretty sure there was a hands off QBs policy throughout the off-season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

I agree but you’re still just mad at a statistic because it doesn’t fit your narrative this time. Like any stat sometimes there will be things that don’t quite lineup. QBR overvalues running the ball by QBs in my opinion. That doesn’t make it worthless.

IMG_6322.thumb.jpeg.5cd7f3befdcc24adb29d19930ef3eb98.jpeg

This list looks pretty good

My narrative of that dog shit made up stat has nothing to do with Quinn 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

It’s college football. No one is immune from criticism. There are probably LSU fans who want their entire staff fired.

6th street provides very little substance with his comments. It’s mostly blanket statements that are stupid like “I would just tell a corner to never cover downfield against Texas”  or “so and so sucks” with no evidence or supporting commentary.

AJ Milwee’s job goes a whole lot deeper than QB footwork. Reminds me of people who think a corners coach has to have some sort of special qualification to teach DB’s to defend downfield passes while turning their head.

I know it’s 6th street. I get that part.

No shit his job goes deeper than footwork but if you don’t think he should fix fundamental problems that show themselves in games then we have a different idea of what a QB coach should do.

Footwork is nothing like teaching DBs to play the ball. Footwork is repetition and working it over and over until it’s right.

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

VY had an 80 QBR for the horseshoe at night game in 05. Take that all season and it would be good enough for 5th in the nation. He threw two picks that game. Did he have a bad game?

3 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

During the game Huard noted that Ewers didn’t miss a single pass in practice on Friday. None. He has to throw deep balls in practice so something is not clicking on Saturday’s. What that is who knows but it is frustrating for sure.

In a response from a poster stating how weird it is to see less talented QB’s, like Thompson, throw deep balls better than Ewers, Paul Wadlington said “Here's the funny part. Most of the deep throws he missed Saturday are fairly easy for good QBs. Meanwhile, 20 yard outs or perfect RPOs off of a real play fake are actually harder throws. This is what must drive Sark crazy as a play caller and former QB. Sark had almost no physical gifts and he threw a pretty deep ball at BYU. If he ever tried a 20 yard out, it would've been a pick six.” 

I could be wrong but this seems like a confidence issue with Ewers. I don’t know how he can make these types of throws that only a few QB’s can make but can’t hit wide open Worthy in stride down the side line. It should be the opposite. https://x.com/therealforno/status/1658885324955582469?s=46&t=2ma3sfK-ZcuecqkF2fStfA

(he made the same type of throw yesterday to Worthy but I can’t find it and I have this one saved)  

Just now, longhornmatt said:

I don’t like the ESPN QBR because it gets into extraordinarily subjective territory for a statistic, primarily in this component:

https://www.espn.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/123701/how-is-total-qbr-calculated-we-explain-our-quarterback-rating

Last post on the subject because it’s dumb. 
I agree with you and have said as such. It isn’t a great metric in my opinion but completely discounting it in comparison to other players is dumb. It still gives you some valuable information that just isn’t accounted for with other single number stats. Hence my point about Vy. 

I was watching "Coffee and Football" today and Gerry was asked if QE would leave after this season if he did not have a 1st round NFL grade.

He was adamant that QE was gone after this year no matter what.

Just thought it was interesting that he was so sure.  It's now or never for Ewers with Sark.  

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

I agree parts of it make sense, and it takes into account the QB run game which is useful if people need a single game score to try to account for rushing and passing.  I don’t think football fans really need that, though.  We’re capable of recognizing that Pat White or Denard Robinson can’t throw very well, but holy shit they ran for 250 yards and their teams scored 40, so they probably had a good game.

The college version of the regular passer rating has always seemed like a pretty good metric that gets the right QBs at the top for passing stats.  VY was top 2 or 3 in that stat in 2005, I think.  The college versions weights average yards per attempt, while the NFL version weights completion percentage.  So, the NFL version ends up with bizarre results like Chad Pennington being an all time highly rated QB for ineffectively dinking and dunking at a very high percentage.

Didn’t realize that difference in the passer rating measures. Great point.

43 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Edit: Idk what it is with Quinn. He doesn't have the swagger like VY or the steely confidence of a Colt McCoy... I think Sark needs to get him into a rhythm during the game.. deep ball off first down just gets him behind the chains.

Edited by ChickenNuggets

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Just now watching my replay -- can someone explain how the play to X down the right sideline about 10 minutes in (score 7-3) wasn't a penalty on their CB 1?  I mean, he didn't make a play on the ball, he pretty much tackled X as he tried to bring in an admittedly underthrown pass.  I'm no ref, and we didn't seem to argue, but . . .

Yeah it was PI. Even from the nose bleeds through the sweat, booze, and tears, it was obviously PI.

I guess the only argument that could be made was that the ball was un-catchable.

20 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Do we also get to act like last year didn't happen? Or that he looked exactly like he did last year after another off season?

Sure, you can do that. You can ignore the games he played well and focus only on the bad ones. Why the fuck you’re bothering to watch this season instead of just rewatching last year’s is an exercise for the reader, I guess. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Total interference!!!

But if the ball is not under thrown then the defender can't interfere... 5 yards deeper and Worthy isn't having to catch the ball literally off the back of the defender.  Though I also have considerable criticism of throwing that deep ball on first down. The under throw was on Ewers. The result was... a punt, because of the zero yards on first down.  

Let me be clear, while I am critical of Ewers I am rooting for him like a Mofo.  My concern is his confidence quite frankly, and I think it's shaken.  Because what does he do the next series? We again call a deep ball on first, but this time it's way over thrown.  To me that's a mental adjustment rather than shaking off the first under throw, and simply slinging the next one without thinking.  I think Ewers was still thinking about the last one, and decided to throw it harder, rather than forget about that first pass and trusting all the ball you have thrown in practice. Which is a better choice mentally, for any QB or DB. You gotta not let the last one, influence the next one.

AGAIN!  I am critical of the bombs away on first down!  Result of zero yards on... again a punt.  Of course had we gotten one of those two, 'Bama might have been on their heels a hair on defense, but you gotta have success to put any defense on its heels.  Sure hope Ewers hits his next deep ball, just to help mentally as much as anything.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Yeah it was PI. Even from the nose bleeds through the sweat, booze, and tears, it was obviously PI.

I guess the only argument that could be made was that the ball was un-catchable.

I don't think that's a valid argument, either, because X got his hands on the ball.  He just got fucking tackled.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Total interference!!!

But if the ball is not under thrown then the defender can't interfere... 5 yards deeper and Worthy isn't having to catch the ball literally off the back of the defender.  Though I also have considerable criticism of throwing that deep ball on first down. The under throw was on Ewers. The result was... a punt, because of the zero yards on first down.  

Let me be clear, while I am critical of Ewers I am rooting for him like a Mofo.  My concern is his confidence quite frankly, and I think it's shaken.  Because what does he do the next series? We again call a deep ball on first, but this time it's way over thrown.  To me that's a mental adjustment rather than shaking off the first under throw, and simply slinging the next one without thinking.  I think Ewers was still thinking about the last one, and decided to throw it harder, rather than forget about that first pass and trusting all the ball you have thrown in practice. Which is a better choice mentally, for any QB or DB. You gotta not let the last one, influence the next one.

AGAIN!  I am critical of the bombs away on first down!  Result of zero yards on... again a punt.  Of course had we gotten one of those two, 'Bama might have been on their heels a hair on defense, but you gotta have success to put any defense on its heels.  Sure hope Ewers hits his next deep ball, just to help mentally as much as anything.

Burnt orange glasses on, once he hits one or two, they start flowing. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Because what does he do the next series? We again call a deep ball on first, but this time it's way over thrown. 

That was weird, too.  The receiver broke to the middle of the field and Quinn just fucking bombed it.  It's lucky it wasn't an interception, the DB was far closer.  I don't know who screwed up (QB or receiver) but that play was a mess.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

He has a decent arm. He just doesn’t do great under pressure. And unfortunately, that’s a tough problem to fix. 

And people shouldn’t be clamoring for Murphy, unless you want multiple interceptions per game to go with that cannon arm. 

1 hour ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

He knows he won't get his shoulder driven into the turf in practice,  game day is different.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't think that's a valid argument, either, because X got his hands on the ball.  He just got fucking tackled.

No I agree.

There was an at least equally egregious non call at the end of the third. underthrown by Ewers, of course, but obvious PI by defender.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’m sure Ewers looks great in practice. He’s scared of pressure and basil out of the pocket before there’s even a rush. He threw that 4th down pass into the ground when JT was wide open and easily going to convert because a free rusher was 3 yards away. Ewers just doesn’t have it mentally. He can’t work through his reads, and he’s not developing and he still plays scared. 

I think he’ll have some great games this year, like he did against Bama, OU, and UW last year, but he’s too inconsistent to take his team far. I doubt Sark will bench Ewers unless he’s god awful for about 4 games in a row, so all we can do is hope his good games come against teams when we need them, like Bama next week. 

Ewers would get pushed out even if he didn’t want to leave after this season. No way Sark chooses to lose both Murphy and Manning just for one more year of a guy who plays scared and isn’t developing. 

Eh, Ewers picks and chooses when he stands in pocket and delivers a good throw with pressure in his face. It’s almost like he only freaks out when he’s surprised. 

6 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Yeah, if Ewers plays well this year he will get a 1st round grade because of the arm strength and because his film would be in Sark’s offense and not some Leach variant that the NFL discounts.  If he doesn’t play well, then he’s on the Spencer Rattler transfer path.  You don’t delay Manning’s development and/or risk him transferring just to try a third year with a guy who didn’t give you what you expected the prior year.

Yeah, that's been my thought for quite a while.  He's either good enough to warrant a high-ish draft pick or he's not good enough to hold off Murphy or Manning.  This year is probably it for him either way.

38 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That was weird, too.  The receiver broke to the middle of the field and Quinn just fucking bombed it.  It's lucky it wasn't an interception, the DB was far closer.  I don't know who screwed up (QB or receiver) but that play was a mess.

Sark insinuated in the presser it was a bad route. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’m sure Ewers looks great in practice. He’s scared of pressure and basil out of the pocket before there’s even a rush. He threw that 4th down pass into the ground when JT was wide open and easily going to 

spacer.png        Basil.jpg.4fc6f720ac3f9c4a2cdaf0e25c9c497f.jpg

Not sure how candid Sark is behind the scenes. He comes off as a positive reinforcement, player's coach kind of guy. But I think he needs to stop with the kid gloves at this juncture. Time for Ewers to grow up.

31 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Not sure how candid Sark is behind the scenes. He comes off as a positive reinforcement, player's coach kind of guy. But I think he needs to stop with the kid gloves...  Time for Ewers to grow up.

Yep, bright lights of the starting QB at Texas aren't for everyone -- get it done or next up!!!

“The pride and winning tradition of the University of Texas will not be entrusted to the weak or the timid.”  🤘

• Hook 'Em 4

5 hours ago, Sir Ulrich said:

ESPNs QBR is out of whack for the college level. Passer Rating/Passing Efficiency seems to be better suited. Quinn was 34th at 169.3 and would have been 15th at 206.76 if Brooks and JT dont drop that TDs. 

QBR says Chandler Morris had a better day with less than 60% completion and 2 picks. Whereas Passer Rating had him in the 80s and 50 points lower than Quinn. 

It also has the UMass having a better QBR with 51% completion with 240 yards, 0 TDs and a pick over two games. Rating has him in the 90s and 58 points lower than Quinn. 

Same with the WVU QB and a few more but let's stop with the QBR nonsense that ESPN puts out. Their system is fine tuned for the NFL. 

QBR takes into account YAC. Ewers was greatly added by YAC which should not be credited to him.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

I'd like to see passing yards split into pass yards and run yards. We had a TD that went in the books as a 37-yard pass, which would be more like -3 passing and +40 running. 

Would a spot-on swing pass caught at the line of scrimmage and run for 15 yards be better, worse, or the same as a crappy out pass for 15 yards that required the receiver to stop and be tackled at the spot rather than complete the YAC that was available?

• immamac changed the title to Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet