Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

He is getting too much air under it.  Worthy is tracking better but he is having to adjust by slowing down and/or stopping giving time for the DBs to catch up.  Ewers actually needs to throw it with less arc or get it out quicker and trust that Worthy will get there.  I have rarely seen Ewers overthrow a deep ball.

I agree. My meaning was to throw it farther. Seems like many of the downfield throws were under thrown.

But I was also 4 buckets of beer in by the 4h qtr so may not be remembering it quite clearly.

15 minutes ago, horn4life said:

There is one thing that will help Ewers and the team.  Run the damn Ball!!!!!

Tossing incompletes on first down, whether they are bombs or 5 yard drops, puts the team behind the chains.  Run the damn ball effectively and all of a sudden you get a few looks at 2nd and 2-3.  THIS is when you take shots downfield!

If you take a shot downfield on a short yardage 2nd down, two good upsides can happen with the deep ball.  1st and best is a deep completion that puts the defense on its heels. 2nd is a check off underneath most likely to a back in space. 3rd is the QB stepping up in the pocket and scampering a couple yards forward for a first down.  

While the surprise of a 1st down deep ball can be deadly, the risk vs reward is not there for me.  Moving the chains is the goal.  If you achieve the small goal repeatedly you don't even need the deep ball. You just grind them up methodically.  But zero yards on first down is a recipe for disaster for most teams.  Two downs for 10 yards is a lot different than 3 downs for 10 yards.  And that is never, ever going to change.

Good Lord. Our OL couldn’t get push against Rice. Just running the ball is not how we will achieve offensive success against Bama. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

34 minutes ago, horn4life said:

There is one thing that will help Ewers and the team.  Run the damn Ball!!!!!

Tossing incompletes on first down, whether they are bombs or 5 yard drops, puts the team behind the chains.  Run the damn ball effectively and all of a sudden you get a few looks at 2nd and 2-3. 

I agree. Running the ball effectively is much better than incompletions on first down. With that established, what’s the approach for running effectively on first down against good teams who know you’re going to run on first down so that you don’t get behind the chains with an incompletion?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I agree. Running the ball effectively is much better than incompletions on first down. With that established, what’s the approach for running effectively on first down against good teams who know you’re going to run on first down so that you don’t get behind the chains with an incompletion?

One word:

Fumblerooski.

• Hook 'Em 1

Bobby Burton discussing this morning that Ewers is a work in process player right now.  Quinn is making some mental and physical mistakes that are correctable. Our bad interior OL blocking just compounds Texas offensive mistakes and is hindering Ewers growth and improvement.

While Ewers goes through gaining more experience, Bobby said that he hopes it does not cost us to lose some games this year.  Hopefully Quinn continues to improve as the season progresses.

Ewers if he stays healthy and keeps his head right is still the best option for Texas to win a lot of games this year.  

On 9/3/2023 at 6:35 PM, Surly Bevo said:

The last two years Ewers has played football (Jr year at SLC and last season at Texas) he has missed significant time due to injury.  I guarantee it's in his head.  

I agree.  He's in his own head.  Especially on the long ball.  That split second of indecisiveness makes it look ugly on the far end...  

All the potential in the world but hasn't been able to get out of his own way.

I have a feeling he either gets out of his head next week or he'll get replaced.  Sark really likes this job and he knows he's running out of patience with the Ewers thing. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Gaffords said:

I have a feeling he either gets out of his head next week or he'll get replaced.  Sark really likes this job and he knows he's running out of patience with the Ewers thing. 

Replaced by who?  Murphy is not ready to start for this team.  Neither is Manning.   This will be Ewers 12th start of his career.  But yeah, I'm sure Sark is ready to replace his inexperienced starting QB with Malik who has a grand total of 5 passing attempts in the 4th quarter against Rice.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Gaffords said:

I agree.  He's in his own head.  Especially on the long ball.  That split second of indecisiveness makes it look ugly on the far end...  

All the potential in the world but hasn't been able to get out of his own way.

What you don't see in the televised footage is that Ewers releases the ball and the receivers are still cutting back and forth. It makes it seem like Ewers is throwing a bad ball but the receivers are still dancing around. I saw 2 long balls, one to Mitchell where this happened. It's not all on Ewers. He and the receivers need to get on the same page. Sark alluded to this in his post game PC.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

I dissected a fetal pig as a freshman in highschool, but I don't know why you're calling me out

My Catholic high school was so cheap, we dissected frogs that had been used/recycled more than once. 
We really just disassembled them in biology class then reassembled them to go back in the formaldehyde jars for next year’s sophomores . 
To be on the safe side, I never ate in that school’s cafeteria.

Anyway, if QE shits the bed in the first half, go with MM in the 3rd.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

What you don't see in the televised footage is that Ewers releases the ball and the receivers are still cutting back and forth. It makes it seem like Ewers is throwing a bad ball but the receivers are still dancing around. I saw 2 long balls, one to Mitchell where this happened. It's not all on Ewers. He and the receivers need to get on the same page. Sark alluded to this in his post game PC.

Agree, I rewatched the game, QE was much better than what he is getting knocked for in here. By my account he should have been 22/28 (78%)with 4TD and 1 TD rushing. 2 blatant PI that weren't called. 1 where replay said Worthy dropped didn't catch it. That ball never touched the ground. JB dropped a TD pass in the flat and Worthy got a foot out of bounds. Count that or not but that is't on QE. Worst pass I saw in the game was the deep ball to Worthy that took him OOB. He stepped into that throw no matter what anyone else tells you in here. That was just a bad pass.

By far, the biggest concern watching the game was the disaster of the IOL. They were fucking bad, no way around it. I'm actually surprised QE played as well as he did with that shit show in front of him.

• Hook 'Em 7

2 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

RPO/misdirection.

You guys are acting like Quinn had a horrible game. You guys are also acting like his performance this past Saturday is indicative of all he can do this year. 
Pretty sure he hit a deep ball to Worthy against Bama last year and Worthy dropped another one that was a dime. 

I’m more concerned about the unpressured throw he made to JT that hit him on the side of the helmet. Timing was bad, and there were better options available. The deep pass out of bounds to Worthy was also concerning. The play where he bailed to his right on 3rd down and slipped was also a concern. 

Hopefully he finds his stride this week and the OL lets him take advantage of it. There will be plenty of opportunities with all the mano a mano Saban relies on.  

Edited by Atticus
  • Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Riley uses the RPO extensively. It's one of the easier plays to execute and stresses the shit out of the D. I don't see why we don't heavily rely on it until the other teams makes us stop using it. 

We will. We had plenty of success using it against Rice, but we didn’t need to show our best stuff to get that win. 

Have people gone back and rewatched the 1st half possessions carefully? Most of the blame is on missed blocking assignments. I think ewers is getting a bad shake on this board. We had 7 possession in the first half.

1: ewers tripped, low throw to sanders on 4th down. This TOD is on ewers.

2: brooks long screen for a td

3: 1st deep ball should have been dpi, 0 gain Baxter run, OL failed on 3rd down - QE should have stepped up and thrown but tried to squeeze through and run and was tackled.

4: 2nd deep not even close to ad made irrelevant from a defensive offsides, nice slant to worthy to get into red zone: then bad run, followed by ewers bootleg out of bounds, and a dropped td by brooks-fg

5:long cb4 run, got to 21yd line then: bad run, good throw to JT in end zone almost a great td (great deep ball by ewers here), false start on 52 followed by a 3rd & forever deep middle throw that sailed and went incomplete-fg

6:worthy stepped oob cost us a 1st down, good brooks run, followed by brooks stopped on 3rd up the middle, 4th&1or2 run but ad missed block and rb was stuffed . TOD

7:get the ball on the 3yd line with 4:25 and somehow run out of time…two bad missed deep shots in this possession. Bunch of missed blocks. Fg

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

You are correct.  Two keys to the deep ball is timing and familiarity.  The ball is out of the QB's hand, headed to a spot a long time before the WR is in place.  If the WR is a little more amped than usual and running a shade quicker than he doesn't practice, it will make the pass underthrown.  Just like if he's bumped and a little late getting to the spot, it will be overthrown, and that's when the QB and the WR are on the same page. If the ball goes to one spot and then we to another, it looks a lot like last year did. 

But we can talk about Ewers all we want, but the truth is until our O-Line pass protects better than they did Saturday, none of our QBs are going to do any better back there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I think QE's deep ball is kinda sucky.

OL play was a part of it, so was his fundamentals.

I think he will get better at the deep ball but probably not be a deep ball machine.

I think the play book was vanilla for Rice, duh. 

I think all teams struggle some in an opener, some pick it up quickly after a drive or two, looks like it took a bit longer for Texas, but the third quarter was solid.

I think opening the playbook, RPOs, short passing game, get playmakers the ball will make a world of difference saturday night.

defense gotta be max ballahs. I think they can.

biggest defensive concern for me is breakdowns on rushing lanes on a mobile QB.

biggest concern on offense for me is not being able to run effectively, putting more pressure on QE.

I think Texas can win in a 24-17 // 27-21 type game if we play well.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

I'm pulling for the guy, but Quinn is a fuckin' beating in this interview -- just terrible.

Quinn starts around 36:25 mark. 

It's obvious the guy has been trained by those around him to say absolutely nothing. You can tell there are times when he wants to elaborate on something but thinks for a second and then chooses not to. After the stuff said in the media about him when he left HS early, transferred from Ohio State and then the beating he took from some last year, I guess you can't blame the guy for not giving the media much. Plus, he gets the usual stupid questions by certain people who cover this team. "How often do you think about that hit from last year?" "Do you feel like you have unfinished business against Bama?"

6 minutes ago, troph said:

biggest concern on offense for me is not being able to run effectively, putting more pressure on QE.

I'm sure we will run between the tackles at times just to keep the defense honest, but I would expect the short and quick passing game to basically serve as the running game this week.

1 minute ago, Armybrat said:

That’s what fans here, on TOS, and HF have said almost every year for the past 20.

just sayin’

I get HCs do that shit but I am far more impressed with what Elko (Duke) and Norvell (FSU) did in their FIRST game out. They had a half to work out their kinks playing against FAR better competition than Rice. They didn’t have the luxury of a fairly innocuous opponent. My knock and concern about Sark remains the same: I don’t believe he can be both OC/calling plays and be HC at same time. I want to be wrong on this but history with other coaches has bore this out. It doesn’t work the vast majority of the time. Again, I want to be wrong but I don’t think Sark will ever give up play calling duty voluntarily. 

What Elko, Norvell and Deion’s teams gave their first fame everything they had. Didn’t have to hide a bunch of shit for another opponent. They just went out and dominated. I get it. Saban and his staff are notorious for watching tape etc…I just hope we can execute all this razzle dazzle we kept under wraps. 
hoping that special stuff involves Juan Davis and more TE action. Maybe a designed package for MM (not replacing Quinn just a package or two NOT saying he be the starter…GAWD)

I was not happy with how Ewers played, but Surly has gone a little over the top on criticizing him. And delusional in thinking Murphy would replace him for poor performance. Thus, I've now decided to do a complete 180 and believe Ewers will start playing incredible.  Surly in aggregate is rarely right.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Big_kat said:

If there is a bit of a silver lining, Worthy seemed to be tracking balls much better in the air and making adjustments.  Quinn just needs to pick better spots and get more air under it.

Quinn's problem witht the deep ball isn't "getting more air under it". He has been inaccurate and seems to throw the ball a bit late. On the ball to Worthy, in particular, he not only threw the ball out of bounds, but he also should have thrown it much sooner. 

19 minutes ago, troph said:

I think QE's deep ball is kinda sucky.

OL play was a part of it, so was his fundamentals.

I think he will get better at the deep ball but probably not be a deep ball machine.

I think the play book was vanilla for Rice, duh. 

I think all teams struggle some in an opener, some pick it up quickly after a drive or two, looks like it took a bit longer for Texas, but the third quarter was solid.

I think opening the playbook, RPOs, short passing game, get playmakers the ball will make a world of difference saturday night.

defense gotta be max ballahs. I think they can.

biggest defensive concern for me is breakdowns on rushing lanes on a mobile QB.

I think Texas can win in a 24-17 // 27-21 type game if we play well.

I think this game comes down to Sark's patience and 1st downs for the Texas offense. I believe the Washington DC said something like "he wanted to see, if Sark could be patient" in the Bowl game. Will Sark be happy to take what Bama gives him or will he succumb to the desire for big plays. Its paramount for Texas to stay on schedule on offense. IF Bama gives you the underneath throws and makes you execute for 12 plays to score, take it. 

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Quinn's problem witht the deep ball isn't "getting more air under it". He has been inaccurate and seems to throw the ball a bit late. On the ball to Worthy, in particular, he not only threw the ball out of bounds, but he also should have thrown it much sooner. 

The ball was caught and Worthy has pretty terrible sideline awareness for a really good receiver.  It would have been a good catch for sure, but he absolutely could’ve gotten one toe down. People are acting like he threw the fucking ball into the stands. It was like a foot or two more outside than it should’ve been, but a good receiver gets a toe tap on that play.

5 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

The ball was caught and Worthy has pretty terrible sideline awareness for a really good receiver.  It would have been a good catch for sure, but he absolutely could’ve gotten one toe down. People are acting like he threw the fucking ball into the stands. It was like a foot or two more outside than it should’ve been, but a good receiver gets a toe tap on that play.

I’d have to watch again but seeing it live, it looked like a poor throw that Worthy couldn’t have salvaged.

• Hook 'Em 1

Good to see some of you are coming around.

The games in which QBs make all the right decisions and take all the right steps are not rare. They don’t actually exist. All that is probably more difficult when doing it the first time in a live environment after 8 months.

Throw out the first series, and it was a pretty positive showing.

8 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

1 minute ago, SuckitKevin said:

I’d have to watch again but seeing it live, it looked like a poor throw that Worthy couldn’t have salvaged.

It was a poor throw, it was late, it was underthrown, and it took Worthy out of bounds. Worthy was two yards behind the defender when the ball was thrown and he almost had to stop to catch it. Quinn has a big arm, so that's not the issue, mechanics and timing are. That being said, I expect him to throw for 3 bills and Texas wins by 15 this weekend.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I'm sure we will run between the tackles at times just to keep the defense honest, but I would expect the short and quick passing game to basically serve as the running game this week.

That’s fine to a point - mostly safe 4-7 yard pick ups - but it doesn’t keep the DL honest. They can still rush the QB without thinking much about it if we don’t get some traction on the ground. 

8 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

It was a poor throw, it was late, it was underthrown, and it took Worthy out of bounds. Worthy was two yards behind the defender when the ball was thrown and he almost had to stop to catch it. Quinn has a big arm, so that's not the issue, mechanics and timing are. That being said, I expect him to throw for 3 bills and Texas wins by 15 this weekend.

It was close enough that I had to watch the replay to see if he got a toe down, because it’s was too close to tell live.

4 minutes ago, troph said:

The more I think about it the more I think this is a sark problem. 

He can’t be both HC/OC (basically it’s like Andy Reid and a handful of others) plus he cannot work with what he has on hand. He needs to have his team built perfectly. If he watches the tape from Rice he will see what he needs to do to play to QE’s strengths and will scheme around it. The problem is Sark is incredibly stubborn and stubborn people even if moderately successful tend to do the same thing over and over expecting different results. Maybe in practice it looks different but we’ve seen what happens when the pocket collapses. We see what happens when Sark gets locked into his game plan and squats like he’s popping a hernia out his asshole and can’t make adjustments. We have seen it. Hopefully he won’t be the impediment Saturday. 

• Hook 'Em 1

if reports are true and Sark spent less time in off-season focusing on QBs and offense and more time on program stuff, then that might be coming back to bite him.  Coaches can't play whack a mole.  They have to do what they do best and hire competent coaches to handle what they don't do best.   Those will then be hired away.  that's why you always be collecting names.  

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

It was close enough that I had to watch the replay to see if he got a toe down, because it’s was too close to tell live.

No way, I just rewatched it an Worthy's foot lands at least a foot out of bounds, not even close.

What's worse is he had his man beat by 2 yards running about 3 yards from the sideline.  So, not only does Worthy have to wait for the ball, but Quinn threw him outside.  

There was no safety help, so Quinn should have lead him inside.  It was simply a horrible throw.

In fact, the only decent ball he threw over 25 yards was the one to Sanders that JW broke up in the endzone.  

• Hook 'Em 4

• immamac changed the title to Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet