Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

Quinn is the best QB we've had since Colt and people won't stop bitching. He's only started like 15 games and bailed on his HS senior season.. He balls out and can make every throw. He's been great for us. He cares and he is the leader of this offense. I've seen alot of growth, technically and personally. I don't understand the complaining. Sure he isn't perfect but he is a huge reason we're 10-1....

• Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

His misses were bad. Don’t forget he had a couple of sacks and an intentional grounding penalty.

Wasn’t a terrible game though. I think his arm is fucking killing him.

Every college football game you watch you will see quarterbacks miss bad. He took a hit that was pretty hard. I think that affected him for the better as he realizes he can take some contact. Seemed good for him. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

6 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

ISU has a top ranked defense. Your expectations need some calibrating if you think Quinn was bad.

He had a bad first half, missed throws, poor ball placement, bad pocket movement/self sacking

Second half Quinn was better and he got into a rhythm and made some good throws.

It's not a this or that thing.

• Hook 'Em 3

god we have stupid fans. we would be lucky as shit if he does indeed decide to come back next year

I meant from a NFL perspective. I want him to come back to Texas. The higher he gets drafted, the worse the team he goes to will be. If he were to declare after this season, scouts would shit on everything but his arm. He could possibly fall to later in the draft and get to sit a year or so, which would be best for him and every other qb.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

I meant from a NFL perspective. I want him to come back to Texas. The higher he gets drafted, the worse the team he goes to will be. If he were to declare after this season, scouts would shit on everything but his arm. He could possibly fall to later in the draft and get to sit a year or so, which would be best for him and every other qb.

There's no guarantee of that. The NFL has started ten rookie QBs this year including Danny Devito's nephew or whoever. A few years ago 9 rookie QBs started. 

Quinn was a kinda meh in the first half but he turned it on in the 2nd. He was also screwed by a holding call that negated a nice TD to AD Mitchell in the first half. He played a lot more confident in the 2nd half. Baxter helped with that. Glad he and Whitt got on the same page again. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, tokamak said:

A lot of times, watching the games in real time, I’ll be thinking to myself “Quinn looks kinda meh tonight”. Then I check the stats at the end of the game and he has like 290 yards and 2 TDs. I think we just have stupid Texas fans. 

Fify 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, tokamak said:

A lot of times, watching the games in real time, I’ll be thinking to myself “Quinn looks kinda meh tonight”. Then I check the stats at the end of the game and he has like 290 yards and 2 TDs. I think we just have QB PTSD as Texas fans. 

I think it's because he is a pro-style qb. He isn't the typical college dual-threat qb that extends plays that looks dynamic.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Ready for Arch.

Sick of this shit.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

I’m sorry, but y’all have forgotten what good quarterback play looks like.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Plenty of people here who feel the same way I do.

We’re never gonna agree on this. No use beating a dead horse.

andy cohen shut up GIF by RealityTVGIFs

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, MrBig said:

Can we get a picture of him not throwing off his back foot? 

That THROW is from the left sideline, sidearm, back across, opposite from the direction he was moving, 20+ yards to AD for a touchdown. Pretty accurately. Damn impressive throw. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, F250 said:

I think it's because he is a pro-style qb. He isn't the typical college dual-threat qb that extends plays that looks dynamic.

The thing that a lot of people on here don't get is the reason teams run that 3-3-5 flyover vs us every week is because of Quinn. It's a sign of respect that they would rather sit back in that and let us run on them for 150-200 yards then let QE light them in the passing game. They sat back in coverage all night and he still threw for 3 bills. 

• Like 4

quinn has been better than he was last year, but the truth that so many Texas fans are unwilling to admit is this: QE is surrounded by top flight talent and is being coached by one of, if not the best QB coaches in the nation, and he honestly should be setting the world on fire with the talent he’s had around him all season. Brooks, Worthy, AD, Sanders, Whittington, Helm, Baxter, et al, not to mention an O line that has done a really good job giving him time to throw, is a really good run blocking o line, and is one that features arguably the best LT in college football. if this team had michael penix or caleb williams or jayden daniels we’d have the no.1 offense in the country and we’d be averaging 45+ points a game in our sleep.the reality of it is far from that.

QE is a consistently inconsistent QB whose most consistent attributes are poor pocket presence, poor footwork, poor mechanics, poor reading of the defense, and poor throws. Sark continually sets him up for success with his scheming and play calling, and if you don’t think that Sark would be unleashing a totally different and more advanced and high scoring offensive attack with a QB like Penix, Nix, Williams, or Daniels then you’re straight up in denial. Sark has been tailoring the offense for Quinn and his limitations, and in all honesty Quinn still isn’t able to consistently take advantage.

QE is a poor man’s Chris Simms who doesn’t turn the ball over as much. he makes some amazing throws, but is inconsistent as hell, and is still getting an absurd amount of credit for HS recruiting rankings from three years ago. pointing at his stats and acting like he had a great game is disingenuous at best and an indictment in your ability to process what you’re watching at worst. 

we all know what great QB play looks like. QE does not play great football. he rarely plays really good football, and he suffers from pretty much every issue that he has suffered from his entire career, he just doesn’t have a fat face and a stupid mullet this time. the crusade to exalt him because the team is winning games and because our fans desperately wanted him to be someone he’s not is unfortunate. he’s an above average QB who is being propped up by a QB genius of a coach who deserves way more credit than what he’s getting. 

QE might very well might be in the best situation of any QB in america with all of the talent surrounding him plus having Sark as his coach, and he absolutely has not been a consistently good QB, forget about great. and hell, plenty of guys who aren’t great QBs would still be putting up some eye popping numbers in this offense, but that’s never been what Quinn does. i’m sorry that so many here refuse to see what’s right in front of them, but there is nothing special or even particularly great about quinn ewers as a QB. to act like our 10-1 record is because of him and not because of coaching, player development, and a totally stacked roster on both sides of the ball is to have one’s head completely buried in the sand. i know how badly y’all want him to be that guy,  it to this point in his career, he’s a lot closer to being just some guy. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

17 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

quinn has been better than he was last year, but the truth that so many Texas fans are unwilling to admit is this: QE is surrounded by top flight talent and is being coached by one of, if not the best QB coaches in the nation, and he honestly should be setting the world on fire with the talent he’s had around him all season. Brooks, Worthy, AD, Sanders, Whittington, Helm, Baxter, et al, not to mention an O line that has done a really good job giving him time to throw, is a really good run blocking o line, and is one that features arguably the best LT in college football. if this team had michael penix or caleb williams or jayden daniels we’d have the no.1 offense in the country and we’d be averaging 45+ points a game in our sleep.the reality of it is far from that.

QE is a consistently inconsistent QB whose most consistent attributes are poor pocket presence, poor footwork, poor mechanics, poor reading of the defense, and poor throws. Sark continually sets him up for success with his scheming and play calling, and if you don’t think that Sark would be unleashing a totally different and more advanced and high scoring offensive attack with a QB like Penix, Nix, Williams, or Daniels then you’re straight up in denial. Sark has been tailoring the offense for Quinn and his limitations, and in all honesty Quinn still isn’t able to consistently take advantage.

QE is a poor man’s Chris Simms who doesn’t turn the ball over as much. he makes some amazing throws, but is inconsistent as hell, and is still getting an absurd amount of credit for HS recruiting rankings from three years ago. pointing at his stats and acting like he had a great game is disingenuous at best and an indictment in your ability to process what you’re watching at worst. 

we all know what great QB play looks like. QE does not play great football. he rarely plays really good football, and he suffers from pretty much every issue that he has suffered from his entire career, he just doesn’t have a fat face and a stupid mullet this time. the crusade to exalt him because the team is winning games and because our fans desperately wanted him to be someone he’s not is unfortunate. he’s an above average QB who is being propped up by a QB genius of a coach who deserves way more credit than what he’s getting. 

QE might very well might be in the best situation of any QB in america with all of the talent surrounding him plus having Sark as his coach, and he absolutely has not been a consistently good QB, forget about great. and hell, plenty of guys who aren’t great QBs would still be putting up some eye popping numbers in this offense, but that’s never been what Quinn does. i’m sorry that so many here refuse to see what’s right in front of them, but there is nothing special or even particularly great about quinn ewers as a QB. to act like our 10-1 record is because of him and not because of coaching, player development, and a totally stacked roster on both sides of the ball is to have one’s head completely buried in the sand. i know how badly y’all want him to be that guy,  it to this point in his career, he’s a lot closer to being just some guy. 

So Quinn isn't as good as two 5th/6th year guys and a returning Heisman winner that was pegged as the top qb in the draft before the season started? Welp, I'm out on him now. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 6

6 minutes ago, LateAughtsHorn said:

So Quinn isn't as good as two 5th/6th year guys and a returning Heisman winner that was pegged as the top qb in the draft before the season started? Welp, I'm out on him now. 

yeah that’s what i said. 🙄 

26 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

QE might very well might be in the best situation of any QB in america with all of the talent surrounding him plus having Sark as his coach, and he absolutely has not been a consistently good QB, forget about great. and hell, plenty of guys who aren’t great QBs would still be putting up some eye popping numbers in this offense, but that’s never been what Quinn does. i’m sorry that so many here refuse to see what’s right in front of them, but there is nothing special or even particularly great about quinn ewers as a QB.

Edited by shadow_operative

👆Too long & too negative… don’t care how accurate it may be. [Derka’s post]

7 hours ago, RAMBONE said:

Quinn's only started like 15 games and bailed on his “HS senior season”*..

*Let’s agree to call it “his final season of high school eligibility”.

Quinn was a red-shirt junior when he hurried back from injury for the playoffs. He turned 18 that spring and should have been graduating, but like VY after we won the national championship, Quinn decided to forego his final year of eligibility to declare that he was ready to get paid.

6 hours ago, Levi said:

There is no place for facts in this thread!!

Of course, those facts don’t include a massively under-thrown ball to Adonai Mitchell who had his defender beaten by 10 feet or more. The pass interference call wiped out the incomplete pass, but that should have been a 50+ yard TD.

5 hours ago, mdmost said:

Quinn… was also screwed by a holding call that negated a nice TD to AD Mitchell in the first half.

Ummm…

No he wasn’t.

If our OL doesn’t hold-the-shit out of the defender, no way does Quinn have the time or space to complete that pass. In fact, he may have suffered a violent hit to his throwing shoulder if our guy hadn’t held their guy, so “screwed out of” is far from the truth.

Quinn is 8-1 on the season.

Quinn is injured.

Quinn continues to improve.

Quinn is far from perfect.

Quinn is improving before our eyes, but is far from ready for the NFL. Both he and the Surly community would benefit greatly if he returns for another year of improvement.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

That THROW is from the left sideline, sidearm, back across, opposite from the direction he was moving, 20+ yards to AD for a touchdown. Pretty accurately. Damn impressive throw. 

That was the single best throw I have ever seen a Texas QB make. I am not talking stakes or anything like that, but if Quinn can run outside the pocket and nail a WR in quadruple coverage at exactly the perfect window... if he could bottle that and replicate it he would never lose a game in his life.

Oh yeah our fans are idiots. Like the worst fucking thing to listen to or read their posts.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

*Let’s agree to call it “his final season of high school eligibility”.

Quinn was a red-shirt junior when he hurried back from injury for the playoffs. He turned 18 that spring and should have been graduating, but like VY after we won the national championship, Quinn decided to forego his final year of eligibility to declare that he was ready to get paid.

Age and getting paid are not the same as meaningful experience. 

'20-'21 Games played as a HS Junior: 8
'21-'22 Games played while getting paid by tOSU: 0

Having zero game experience in a completely different system during his true freshman season likely didn't add much to Quinn's preparedness for his first action as the Longhorns QB.  If he is going to be compared to other QBs, it should be limited to those who have started fewer than 20 games, have had injuries that limit games played and effectiveness, and are in their second season under their current coaching staff.  

I'm not sure who checks all of those boxes, but I suspect that Quinn would favorably compare.  Anyone expecting much more than we are getting from him at this point has unrealistic expectations.  

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Quinn is 8-1 on the season.  

Quinn is injured.  

Quinn continues to improve.  

Quinn is far from perfect.  

Quinn is improving before our eyes    You said that already, but no harm in emphasizing it.

, but is far from ready for the NFL.  He's not ready to start for anyone in the NFL, but that doesn't mean he's not ready to be in the NFL.  The situation matters.  If he decides to enter the draft, he will be considered a project, as he should be.  If he returns and develops as we expect, the hope is that he performs at a level where he could conceivably contribute early.    

Both he and the Surly community would benefit greatly if he returns for another year of improvement.    I would have referenced his positive impact on the team more so than Surly, but I suppose that is implied.  

There are times where it looks like his shoulder is still bothering him. 

As for his pocket presence, I’m starting to think Sark has a case of Mack Brown/Gregg Davis-itis circa 2004 where Sark is harping on the QBs to stay in the pocket and make the throw rather than get yardage on the ground. He’s holding the ball way too long and doesn’t take the easy yards. There were a handful of plays last night that ended with Texas being 2nd and 10+ that should have been 2nd and 5 at best, 2nd and 8 at worst. If all your reads are covered and the pocket is collapsing around you, get the yards and slide, my guy. 

8 hours ago, sith_horn said:

Uh, NO. Quinn is the clear starter and he's developed considerably. But he's got a ways to go before that label applies.

If his defensive teammates had held OU that last drive - you know the one after Texas took the lead back - and Texas was top 4 and undefeated - the amount of homoeroticism directed at QE on this board would be … 

IMG_3736.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, mdmost said:

Quinn was a kinda meh in the first half but he turned it on in the 2nd. He was also screwed by a holding call that negated a nice TD to AD Mitchell in the first half. He played a lot more confident in the 2nd half. Baxter helped with that. Glad he and Whitt got on the same page again. 

People have criticized Quinn for his lack of emotion, but it is really one of his greatest attributes. He wasn’t very good in the 1, though neither was Sark’s script (I have noticed Quinn locks on more during the script). He was straight bad vs OU in the 1Q. He rallied to look excellent in the 2nd half of both games. Texas is a 10 win team and the offensive success is centered around the passing game, yet people are constantly bitching. Think about the difference from last year to this year. The 2022 team saw every defense loading the box and daring Quinn to beat them. This year every team plays the pass and gives Texas honest numbers in the run game. Quinn is the MVP of this offense 

• Hook 'Em 3