Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

quinn has been better than he was last year, but the truth that so many Texas fans are unwilling to admit is this: QE is surrounded by top flight talent and is being coached by one of, if not the best QB coaches in the nation, and he honestly should be setting the world on fire with the talent he’s had around him all season. Brooks, Worthy, AD, Sanders, Whittington, Helm, Baxter, et al, not to mention an O line that has done a really good job giving him time to throw, is a really good run blocking o line, and is one that features arguably the best LT in college football. if this team had michael penix or caleb williams or jayden daniels we’d have the no.1 offense in the country and we’d be averaging 45+ points a game in our sleep.the reality of it is far from that.

QE is a consistently inconsistent QB whose most consistent attributes are poor pocket presence, poor footwork, poor mechanics, poor reading of the defense, and poor throws. Sark continually sets him up for success with his scheming and play calling, and if you don’t think that Sark would be unleashing a totally different and more advanced and high scoring offensive attack with a QB like Penix, Nix, Williams, or Daniels then you’re straight up in denial. Sark has been tailoring the offense for Quinn and his limitations, and in all honesty Quinn still isn’t able to consistently take advantage.

QE is a poor man’s Chris Simms who doesn’t turn the ball over as much. he makes some amazing throws, but is inconsistent as hell, and is still getting an absurd amount of credit for HS recruiting rankings from three years ago. pointing at his stats and acting like he had a great game is disingenuous at best and an indictment in your ability to process what you’re watching at worst. 

we all know what great QB play looks like. QE does not play great football. he rarely plays really good football, and he suffers from pretty much every issue that he has suffered from his entire career, he just doesn’t have a fat face and a stupid mullet this time. the crusade to exalt him because the team is winning games and because our fans desperately wanted him to be someone he’s not is unfortunate. he’s an above average QB who is being propped up by a QB genius of a coach who deserves way more credit than what he’s getting. 

QE might very well might be in the best situation of any QB in america with all of the talent surrounding him plus having Sark as his coach, and he absolutely has not been a consistently good QB, forget about great. and hell, plenty of guys who aren’t great QBs would still be putting up some eye popping numbers in this offense, but that’s never been what Quinn does. i’m sorry that so many here refuse to see what’s right in front of them, but there is nothing special or even particularly great about quinn ewers as a QB. to act like our 10-1 record is because of him and not because of coaching, player development, and a totally stacked roster on both sides of the ball is to have one’s head completely buried in the sand. i know how badly y’all want him to be that guy,  it to this point in his career, he’s a lot closer to being just some guy. 

Frustrated Buzz Lightyear GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

quinn has been better than he was last year, but the truth that so many Texas fans are unwilling to admit is this: QE is surrounded by top flight talent and is being coached by one of, if not the best QB coaches in the nation, and he honestly should be setting the world on fire with the talent he’s had around him all season. Brooks, Worthy, AD, Sanders, Whittington, Helm, Baxter, et al, not to mention an O line that has done a really good job giving him time to throw, is a really good run blocking o line, and is one that features arguably the best LT in college football. if this team had michael penix or caleb williams or jayden daniels we’d have the no.1 offense in the country and we’d be averaging 45+ points a game in our sleep.the reality of it is far from that.

QE is a consistently inconsistent QB whose most consistent attributes are poor pocket presence, poor footwork, poor mechanics, poor reading of the defense, and poor throws. Sark continually sets him up for success with his scheming and play calling, and if you don’t think that Sark would be unleashing a totally different and more advanced and high scoring offensive attack with a QB like Penix, Nix, Williams, or Daniels then you’re straight up in denial. Sark has been tailoring the offense for Quinn and his limitations, and in all honesty Quinn still isn’t able to consistently take advantage.

QE is a poor man’s Chris Simms who doesn’t turn the ball over as much. he makes some amazing throws, but is inconsistent as hell, and is still getting an absurd amount of credit for HS recruiting rankings from three years ago. pointing at his stats and acting like he had a great game is disingenuous at best and an indictment in your ability to process what you’re watching at worst. 

we all know what great QB play looks like. QE does not play great football. he rarely plays really good football, and he suffers from pretty much every issue that he has suffered from his entire career, he just doesn’t have a fat face and a stupid mullet this time. the crusade to exalt him because the team is winning games and because our fans desperately wanted him to be someone he’s not is unfortunate. he’s an above average QB who is being propped up by a QB genius of a coach who deserves way more credit than what he’s getting. 

QE might very well might be in the best situation of any QB in america with all of the talent surrounding him plus having Sark as his coach, and he absolutely has not been a consistently good QB, forget about great. and hell, plenty of guys who aren’t great QBs would still be putting up some eye popping numbers in this offense, but that’s never been what Quinn does. i’m sorry that so many here refuse to see what’s right in front of them, but there is nothing special or even particularly great about quinn ewers as a QB. to act like our 10-1 record is because of him and not because of coaching, player development, and a totally stacked roster on both sides of the ball is to have one’s head completely buried in the sand. i know how badly y’all want him to be that guy,  it to this point in his career, he’s a lot closer to being just some guy. 

Such hyperbole. Did Quinn bang your girl in HS or something?

• Hook 'Em 1

so many people quoting me, none of them actually responding to anything i said, most of them lashing out at me. translation: the truth hurts.

QE is surrounded by more talent than probably any QB in the country, he has a certified QB genius as his HC, and he’s inconsistent, he has poor mechanics, he’s not comfortable on the pocket, and he makes the same poor throws and mistakes over and over, when in reality he should be putting up video game numbers. this isn’t even a hot take, it’s just simply not what y’all want to hear. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

there’s going to be a day in the near future where AD Mitchell, Xavier Worthy, Jonathan Brooks, JT Sanders, CJ Baxter, Jordan Whittington, and Kelvin Banks are all playing in the NFL, while Quinn Ewers isn’t. he’s one of the weaker links in our offense, yet our fan base is just determined to act like he’s a stud who’s out here winning games for us, as opposed to mostly being a passenger who occasionally makes a “wow” throw to the superior talent that surrounds him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

He absolutely has another level he needs to reach. I don’t think anyone would argue that. It’s why he should come back next year. We lose a lot this year, but we’ll reload. He needs another year to reach that next level.
So another year of waiting to get to that next level that he's shown he can't get to? And this is with some really good weapons. He doesn't make his guys better. Move on and start the Manning era and see where it gets us.

11 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

there’s going to be a day in the near future where AD Mitchell, Xavier Worthy, Jonathan Brooks, JT Sanders, CJ Baxter, Jordan Whittington, and Kelvin Banks are all playing in the NFL, while Quinn Ewers isn’t. he’s one of the weaker links in our offense, yet our fan base is just determined to act like he’s a stud who’s out here winning games for us, as opposed to mostly being a passenger who occasionally makes a “wow” throw to the superior talent that surrounds him. 

So he's not what his stats and record say he is but what your QB eye says he is, got it.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

There is no doubt he hasn’t lived up to the hype/expectations that he and others created for him. Having said that, he’s balling in his way. He’s been hurt twice and he isn’t fully recovered. I think he thought because of where he was in high school as highly touted as he was he could sail through this and into the NFL. He’s a very good QB with some flaws. But I think a lot of this “what HS did you come from bullshit is stale” you’ve said your peace you have also made it perfectly crystal clear you don’t believe he’s a guy who is going to the next level nor do you think he’s the guy. If you are being called out (and I respect you as a poster) when you put your opinion out there and take shit for it you can’t keep moving the goal posts when people give you shit. Stand by whatever your opinion is and stop dancing around the edges of it. You cannot have it both ways. You made a point that others disagree with and then when people call you out on your opinion turtle like Herman. And say it’s the people misunderstanding you. We hear you loud and clear. I have been called out for even existing as a poster. I used to get some of the meanest and weirdest DMs “stop posting” type of shit. I respect you as a poster but stop being butt hurt when people disagree with you. 

28 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

The problem with this argument is you are acting exactly like what you accuse the fan base of. You are so determined to be right about Ewers being a bust you are ignoring the actual on field results.  

• Hook 'Em 2

The argument that Ewers is only looks good because of the talent surrounding him can basically be said about all the current top teams outside of Daniels, Maye and Williams (he’s cooled of here recently tho). Penix is a 6th year guy and has a super talented wr core around him and a good RB. Nix is also 30 years old and leads the nation with 65%(!!!) of his passing yards coming after the catch. Michigan didn’t throw a pass last week after the half, Ewers could do that. I’ve seen nothing from the Florida st, Ohio st or Georgia QB’s that screams elite.

Does Ewers need to get better in some areas of his game if he wasn’t to succeed at the next level? Yes. But the notion that he can’t continue to progress is absurd. He’s night and day different from last year. It’s funny that the same people who were done with him last year and screaming for Malik are now spouting we should move on and let Arch take the keys. 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

lmao @ the idea that whittington will be playing in the nfl and quinn won't.

I remember that the NFL also had a draft about 12 or so years ago where a team literally drafted a guy in a coma. It’s not about whether QE will get drafted, it’s more will he be a successful QB 1 in the NFL. I can’t answer that and none of you can either. 

1 minute ago, Levi said:

The argument that Ewers is only looks good because of the talent surrounding him can basically be said about all the current top teams outside of Daniels, Maye and Williams (he’s cooled of here recently tho). Penix is a 6th year guy and has a super talented wr core around him and a good RB. Nix is also 30 years old and leads the nation with 65%(!!!) of his passing yards coming after the catch. Michigan didn’t throw a pass last week after the half, Ewers could do that. I’ve seen nothing from the Florida st, Ohio st or Georgia QB’s that screams elite.

Does Ewers need to get better in some areas of his game if he wasn’t to succeed at the next level? Yes. But the notion that he can’t continue to progress is absurd. He’s night and day different from last year. It’s funny that the same people who were done with him last year and screaming for Malik are now spouting we should move on and let Arch take the keys. 

This.  Football is a team sport.  The only stat that matters is 10-1.  Yes we will lose a lot of talent this year.  We also have a lot of talent ready fill the void.  

15 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I remember that the NFL also had a draft about 12 or so years ago where a team literally drafted a guy in a coma. It’s not about whether QE will get drafted, it’s more will he be a successful QB 1 in the NFL. I can’t answer that and none of you can either. 

i have no idea what point you are trying to make or why you chose to reply to me to make it, but ok??

Before the season started the prediction was mostly 9-3/10-2, and somehow being 10-1 has translated to Texas being the most talented offensive roster in football? I mean a do what? I’m not even upset that the argument is Quinn is a jag all the sudden, but it’s crazy to somehow say we are 10-1 in spite of our QB haha. Banks, Campbell, sanders, brooks, and Quinn are all injured. We just won a game without our starting rb and didn’t miss a beat. We all watched maalik run this same offense as well. My bingo card is fucked this year. 

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, Levi said:

The argument that Ewers is only looks good because of the talent surrounding him

who said that? my entire point is that he’s surrounded by maybe the most talented offense in the country and he’s still not particularly great as a qb, both statistically and with the eyeball test. the entire point is that he’s not anywhere as good or productive as he should be.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

so many people quoting me, none of them actually responding to anything i said, most of them lashing out at me. translation: the truth hurts.

QE is surrounded by more talent than probably any QB in the country, he has a certified QB genius as his HC, and he’s inconsistent, he has poor mechanics, he’s not comfortable on the pocket, and he makes the same poor throws and mistakes over and over, when in reality he should be putting up video game numbers. this isn’t even a hot take, it’s just simply not what y’all want to hear. 

Man you just can't help yourself, huh?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

38 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

lmao @ the idea that whittington will be playing in the nfl and quinn won't.

if we didn’t have to wait several years for this to come to fruition i absolutely would bet money on this. jordan whittington is going to make an nfl team and he’s going to play. whether his biggest role is on special teams or as a receiver, we’ll see.

quinn ewers is not going to play in the nfl. not for any meaningful amount of time at least. not if he doesn’t become a drastically different qb between now and then. barring that, he will never be a starting QB, and he certainly does not have what NFL teams want in a backup- smart, calm, accurate, knows the offense, etc.

it is absolutely baffling that any of you can watch QE play and think that you’re watching a future NFL qb. 

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

You're wrong. Five years from now he'll be bigger and stronger, and will likely be a force in the NFL. He throws a beautiful ball and he's pretty damn accurate. That will only get better. Could be another Aikman.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

quinn ewers is not going to play in the nfl. not for any meaningful time at least.  he will never be a starting QB, and he certainly does not have what NFL teams want in a backup- smart, calm, accurate, knows the offense, etc.

it is absolutely baffling that any of you can watch QE play and think that you’re watching a future NFL qb. 

Congrats. You win Dumbest Take of the Day today.

You can stop trying so hard now. Rest up, enjoy your W here today, and come back with another dumb take tomorrow!

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

who said that? my entire point is that he’s surrounded by maybe the most talented offense in the country and he’s still not particularly great as a qb, both statistically and with the eyeball test. the entire point is that he’s not anywhere as good or productive as he should be.

Confused Thinking GIF by MOODMAN

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

if we didn’t have to wait several years for this to come to fruition i absolutely would bet money on this. jordan whittington is going to make an nfl team and he’s going to play. whether his biggest role is on special teams or as a receiver, we’ll see.

quinn ewers is not going to play in the nfl. not for any meaningful time at least.  he will never be a starting QB, and he certainly does not have what NFL teams want in a backup- smart, calm, accurate, knows the offense, etc.

Being this certain that QE won’t have a meaningful NFL career is just about as stupid as being certain that he will be a hall of famer. The truth is, none of us has seen a large enough sample size to know for sure what he’s going to do at the next level. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Who is repping you on this post should show you that your opinion is wrong but I will take a stab at it. You are looking through the eyes of someone who doesn't like QE so you have been wishing for him to fail but even then you don't know what you are looking at. Caleb Williams is only special once the play breaks down. He is pretty average when asked to operate on time and in rhythm. Michael Penix is spectacular throwing the ball downfield. They keep him away from "traffic throws". Bo Nix in 3 seasons at Auburn never broke 61% completion percentage, and all the sudden got miles better operating a spread offense vs PAC12 defenses. Hmm...Maybe you might just chalk it up to the offenses those guys are running and their coaches allowing them to do the things they are great at and hiding their weaknesses. Nope. Not you. Too much hate.

Quinn Ewers is operating a full NFL offense. We are throwing out of 11, 12, 21, and 31 personnel. Sometimes he only has two or 3 receivers out in routes. So when he drops back, sees everyone is bracketed, and doesn't throw it that's a strength and not a weakness. 2nd series of the game Sark, expecting a blitz, keeps the TE and back in to block. That means QE only has 3 receivers vs 5 and they need to get 10 yards. Smart for QE to eat a sack there but Surly is yelling "throw the ball" stupidly of course. The only reason QE even remotely looked shaky last night is because we kept putting him in 3rd and 10 the first few drives. The second we stopped doing that QE started eating them for lunch. 15 yard outs on the far hash. Different arm angles and ball speeds. He rolled out left and threw a ball 20+ yards downfield to his right accurately without squaring his shoulders. You have no idea what you are talking about. However, opposing defenses choosing to play their safeties deep no matter how good we are running the ball should tell you all you need to know, because with the same receivers we switched our QB and they responded by walking their safeties up to take away the run. But you still aren't listening.

At times Ewers struggles with the deep ball but I think we all should recognize that he elevates his receivers with his arm strength, a la the deep outs from the opposite hash. Worthy is a damn good route runner and sells that particular route really well, but it means nothing if he doesn’t have a QB that can make the throw consistently. 

Edited by Levi
  • Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, TexasPride10 said:

Being this certain that QE won’t have a meaningful NFL career is just about as stupid as being certain that he will be a hall of famer. The truth is, none of us has seen a large enough sample size to know for sure what he’s going to do at the next level. 

what at all have you seen from QE that leads you to believe he’s an NFL qb? he’s not even a particularly notable college qb despite being surrounded by elite talent and elite QB coaching. he’s also making the same mistakes and showing the same poor mechanics as he was last year, despite being coached by the best QB coach in the country. in an era where freshman QBs win heisman trophies and put up obscene numbers while playing spectacularly, QE being a 3rd year guy who isn’t in the top 50% of best players in his own offense does not portend well for his future as an NFL qb. 

23 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

ihe will never be a starting QB, and he certainly does not have what NFL teams want in a backup- smart, calm, accurate, knows the offense, etc.

Humor Boomer GIF

quinn is calm as fuck and completes 70% of his passes. Dak is neither smart nor accurate and is making $40 million a year as a starter for the cowboys as we speak. He fucking sucks. Are you doing some social experiment to see the reactions of really shitty takes? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Levi said:

At times Ewers struggles with the deep ball but I think we all should recognize that he elevates his receivers with his arm strength, a la the deep outs from the opposite hash. Worthy is a damn good route runner and sells that particular route really well, but it means nothing if he doesn’t have a QB that can make the throw consistently. 

The part that blows my mind Levi is that THE DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR'S GAMEPLAN should tell these fools what is the most dangerous part of the Texas offense and yet they still stroll in here with dumb ass comments. Yet every week every DC tries to take away the explosive passing game and risk getting bludgeoned to death on the ground. Guys who get paid millions make that decision. Every week. Yet here we are.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

what at all have you seen from QE that leads you to believe he’s an NFL qb? he’s not even a particularly notable college qb despite being surrounded by elite talent and elite QB coaching. he’s also making the same mistakes and showing the same poor mechanics as he was last year, despite being coached by the best QB coach in the country. in an era where freshman QBs win heisman trophies and put up obscene numbers while playing spectacularly, QE being a 3rd year guy who isn’t in the top 50% of best players in his own offense does not portend well for his future as an NFL qb. 

He is competing 70% of his passes for 9 yards an attempt with a 4-1 TD to int ratio. That is kind of good. He also top 3 in the country in 4Q QBR. That throw to Mitchell in the back of the endzone will make his draft highlight film. Great throw to Sanders, when flushed. Does he have moments where he doesn’t look great? Of course, same with every player in the country. He also has shown the ability to bounce back from that, which is huge. Sit back and enjoy the ride 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Humor Boomer GIF

quinn is calm as fuck and completes 70% of his passes. Dak is neither smart nor accurate and is making $40 million a year as a starter for the cowboys as we speak. He fucking sucks. Are you doing some social experiment to see the reactions of really shitty takes? 

quinn is not calm, lol, he routinely tucks ball way too early and all too often has poor pocket presence. 

also, what does dark prescott, a starting QB, have to do with anything that you quoted?

12 minutes ago, Levi said:

Texas runs 18 yard stop routes and 15-20 yard outs. There are NFL QBs that struggle with that. Quinn does struggle deep at times, but I saw someone pt out that his worst throw is deep to his right. Been solid deep left and middle. Every QB will have a throw that he isn’t great at. 

• Hook 'Em 3

14 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

I’m sorry, but y’all have forgotten what good quarterback play looks like.

I get it bro. We all wish the days of VY and Colt were still here. That said Quinn is the best QB we've had since those days. Just sit back and enjoy while you can. None of us are promised tomorrow.

• Hook 'Em 2