Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

IMG_5683.thumb.jpeg.32c42284618a43fdf2e81eb65ec47a54.jpeg

the ball is already in the air here and headed for those photographers standing out of bounds. the UW DB is already breaking on the ball while AD is facing the complete opposite direction of where the ball is headed. that’s why AD wasn’t able to jump at the same time as the DB.

This video shows he was turned around and facing the ball before it arrived. He could've jumped, not easy, but he's supposed to be an NFL draft pick.

Just now, Hard Times said:

This video shows he was turned around and facing the ball before it arrived. He could've jumped, not easy, but he's supposed to be an NFL draft pick.

he’s made plenty of spectacular catches for us before, i don’t see what else he could have done on that play. if he switches positions with UW guy at the time of the throw then he easily skies over that guy for the grab. but having to stop mid stride to do a 180 and then head the opposite direction before jumping made it pretty much impossible for him to jump at the same time. imo anyway.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

IMG_5685.thumb.jpeg.6903cb92516f811ca14dcd54a91b49c9.jpeg

the ball is in the air and the UW DB is breaking on it, while AD is scrambling to turn his body around. that’s why the UW guy won the jump ball, not because of any PI.

Bigfoot.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Big key to that play was DJ getting beat so quickly off the snap.  I think ideally you'd want to wait a little longer before letting that one go.  DJ recovered somewhat and tried to push him past but Quinn definitely felt the pressure.

It never ceases to surprise me that people here somehow think they are going to be able to get Derka to change his mind on something. It’s the definition of insanity. The only way to put out a fire is to take away its oxygen, yet most of you fuckers seem to want to throw gasoline on it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I mean, watch that replay.  You can clearly see AD pushing up with his legs and then that upward motion abruptly stops as he falls to his left.  His knees go from bent to straight and then there is no further upward movement.  That doesn't happen without some resisting force.  He tried to jump, but the DB stopped it.

• Hook 'Em 3

That was absolutely PI after watching the play many more times. He impeded the receiver from making a legit play on the ball. He couldn't jump up because the DB was holding him down. It was a calculated move by the DB knowing most refs won't have the balls to make that call in that situation. We have seen it with Miami/Ohio St and the KC/Philly Super Bowl for about the same we see on this one.

It's definitely a call you would hate to get called on your team in that spot but by the letter of the rule, it could have been called.

Edited by Vic Mackey
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

So is it offish that Quinn is coming back? Haven’t seen anything other than a quote from him saying the mission next year is a return to the Sugar Bowl. That sounds like he is coming back, but wondering if it’s offish offish

Is the Sugar Bowl the Grande Finale next year?

1 minute ago, SubliminalHorn said:

So is it offish that Quinn is coming back? Haven’t seen anything other than a quote from him saying the mission next year is a return to the Sugar Bowl. That sounds like he is coming back, but wondering if it’s offish offish

Not offish offish but the media guys have been talking like it's a foregone conclusion for what seems like a few weeks now. Which makes me wonder if Quinn has already told the staff he's coming back.

1 minute ago, futureman said:

can we all just agree that quinn is good but not great and nowhere near his 1.000 recruiting ranking.  but good qbs are nice to have and I’m glad we have him and I hope he comes back. 

We could probably get much more agreement that you are foul and shitty and nowhere near worth having 28 thousand posts on Surly.

• Hook 'Em 1

Experience matters, people. Let's take a look at the age of this year's top QBs:

Jayden Daniels - 23

Penix - 23

Nix - 23

Jordan Travis - 23

Caleb - 22

Maye - 21

Mccarthy (if you consider him a top qb) - 20

And Ewers? 20.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

Experience matters, people. Let's take a look at the age of this year's top QBs:

Jayden Daniels - 23

Penix - 23

Nix - 23

Jordan Travis - 23

Caleb - 22

Maye - 21

Mccarthy (if you consider him a top qb) - 20

And Ewers? 20.

ewers has been in college for three full seasons and has an heir apparent waiting behind him for no longer than one more year, possibly sooner.

• Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

ewers has been in college for three full seasons and has an heir apparent waiting behind him for no longer than one more year, possibly sooner.

Penix -- 6 seasons

Daniels -- 5 seasons

Nix -- 5 seasons

Travis -- 6 seasons

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Rage+1 1

@South Austin summarized my thoughts exactly.  

But I am puzzled by the whole "coming back/NFL" talk.  Putting aside recruiting rankings and stats juiced by playing for Sark, QE is a wildly inconsistent, better-than-average college QB.  He certainly does not look like an NFL QB.  On that, I'm Tom Hanks in Big with the robot toy.   

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, AnotherLawyer said:

Based on what?

QE has missed time in both seasons that he’s been in Austin. if he gets hurt again next year and Arch steps in and does well and/or it’s a season ending injury to QE then that would effectively end his career at Texas. a season at tOSU and two seasons at UT makes for plenty of college experience, and QE isn’t going to play for Texas past the age of 21 anyway. ipso facto all of the stuff about the rest of these QBs being 24 years old with 5+ years of experience is a moo point.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

8min mark, Klatt critical of Ewers last 15 secs

Yes, but as others have pointed out:

Penis - 6 seasons

Ewers - 2 seasons

And how much better would Quinn be if he had Washington's OL? Just another half second of protection and maybe he completes that last pass.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I mean, watch that replay.  You can clearly see AD pushing up with his legs and then that upward motion abruptly stops as he falls to his left.  His knees go from bent to straight and then there is no further upward movement.  That doesn't happen without some resisting force.  He tried to jump, but the DB stopped it.

It would have been an extremely soft PI call. It’s not a very good throw, he’s under pressure and AD is having to adjust while the DB is just reading.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hard Times said:

If the teams are reversed I have zero doubt Washington gets the DPI call there. Would have been nice if AD attempted to sell it even a little bit.

LJH makes that catch btw.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

If the teams are reversed I have zero doubt Washington gets the DPI call there. Would have been nice if AD attempted to sell it even a little bit.

No he doesn't because LJH and his team and coach are no where close to playing in a CFP.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

It would have been called DPI if a Texas DB just looked at the DB wrong, but in most cases I don't think so, just too bang bang. Now if we start reviewing all these plays in super slo mo and make the games 5 hrs, then it may be called. One things for sure though, it'll be debated until Texas makes it's next CFP.

Appreciate Quinn at Texas.  Dude improved a ton this year.  But watching Penix and then watching Quinn, it's night and day.  1 dude was THE man and made plays for his team meanwhile Quinn more so manages the game and plays within in the offense.  He's just a bit more robotic, has poor pocket presence, poor footwork and is okay in his progressions.  Quinn has had crazy unrealistic expectations put on him due to his 1.0 ranking coming out of high school but he was also waaaaay over-rated coming out.  Dude probably should have been a high 4 star.  We're in a lucky spot if he comes back because he has shown we can make the CFP with him and be competitive with him.  With all that said, I think Arch has a better arm, better pocket feel, is more athletic, and will be much better with progressions with game reps.  I hope Sark starts the best guy after spring practice regardless of who it is. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, victory88 said:

With all that said, I think Arch has a better arm, better pocket feel, is more athletic, and will be much better with progressions with game reps.  I hope Sark starts the best guy after spring practice regardless of who it is. 

I hope you are right but…..Until Arch takes a snap against a team that is within 10 points of Texas you can’t say definitively a single bit of what you just said.

You can hope it…but that’s it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I think Arch has a better arm, better pocket feel, is more athletic, and will be much better with progressions with game reps.

how in the world do you come up with this?  because his name is manning?  surely not based on his highschool gametape against white kids running 5.1

13 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Appreciate Quinn at Texas.  Dude improved a ton this year.  But watching Penix and then watching Quinn, it's night and day.  1 dude was THE man and made plays for his team meanwhile Quinn more so manages the game and plays within in the offense.  He's just a bit more robotic, has poor pocket presence, poor footwork and is okay in his progressions.  Quinn has had crazy unrealistic expectations put on him due to his 1.0 ranking coming out of high school but he was also waaaaay over-rated coming out.  Dude probably should have been a high 4 star.  We're in a lucky spot if he comes back because he has shown we can make the CFP with him and be competitive with him.  With all that said, I think Arch has a better arm, better pocket feel, is more athletic, and will be much better with progressions with game reps.  I hope Sark starts the best guy after spring practice regardless of who it is. 

6th year college QB with NFL talent is a lot better than 3rd year college QB with NFL talent who should really be in his 2nd year, shocking!!!!!

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, futureman said:

how in the world do you come up with this?  because his name is manning?  surely not based on his highschool gametape against white kids running 5.1

Some folks just know after 2-5 in passing for the 2023 season and some footage from the Spring scrimmage.

19 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Not sure what the point is of comparing Quinn to a guy who signed his LOI nearly two years before covid was a thing. Sure, more time doesn't guarantee Quinn ever gets to that point, but that's a ridiculous standard to hold him to at this point in his career. 

On 1/2/2024 at 9:44 AM, Da Fino said:

Flood is going to put that on his guys. A d-lineman leaving his feet or putting his hands up should always end up hard on the ground. 

I’ve convinced myself that approach was a specific part of the UW defensive game plan. They scouted the low trajectory of some of Ewer’s throws and it was part of Deboer’s wizardry in that game. 

Ultimately, if Ewers comes back, it's a helluva "problem" to have.  Two highly regarded recruits, one of whom has proven that he can develop (and who can hopefully develop further) vs another who is a virtual unknown at this point.

3 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Lol...Manning hasn't been in a live-action pocket in a competitive game in over a year.  But he has better pocket presence....

Dude. Every qb that is ever going to be worthwhile looks like a Heisman runner up right out of the womb. Didn't you know?