Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers

Zeus

22 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Quickly went back over the first quarter to see what looks they were getting and it's tough to tell from tv but looked like KSU inexplicably came out in a lot of man coverage with numbers up to stop the run giving AD and Worthy free reign to abuse their corners. Once they switched out to more of their zone looks Murphy started looking shitty but they were already down 17 pts. I doubt TCU makes that mistake, but I'm shocked Klieman's guys made that mistake. Overall KSU coaches really coached a very shitty game. Horrible mistakes all around by those guys. 

I noticed the same, they adjusted after the first quarter. Klieman a made a lot of mistakes. 

33 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Quickly went back over the first quarter to see what looks they were getting and it's tough to tell from tv but looked like KSU inexplicably came out in a lot of man coverage with numbers up to stop the run giving AD and Worthy free reign to abuse their corners. Once they switched out to more of their zone looks Murphy started looking shitty but they were already down 17 pts. I doubt TCU makes that mistake, but I'm shocked Klieman's guys made that mistake. Overall KSU coaches really coached a very shitty game. Horrible mistakes all around by those guys. 

The game plan vs Texas is well known. Deviate from it at your own peril. Take explosives away, force Sark and the offense to be patient, and make them win in the red zone. Wyoming followed the script with DBs that run 4.9s and frustrated Texas. Bama did not with NFL players and got lit up. 

After hearing Klatt fawn over his “anticipation” it’s pretty clear that it wasn’t anticipation rather him memorizing scripted plays to start the game. The guy just hurls the ball to wherever he was supposed to go with the ball regardless of how the play progresses. He has absolutely zero field awareness. He’s turned the ball over five times and he’s lucky it hasn’t been ten times. The longer he plays for us the higher the likelihood he costs us a game. 

Yeah I know people were blaming the 1st interception on cook falling which can be true but all he had to do was look and notice 5 white jerseys and no orange. Cook fell down pretty early. Even if cook didn’t fall it still shouldn’t have been thrown to him.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

We have won games despite him the last 2 weeks, not because of him.

And that's okay. He is a backup QB. I personally never expected him to be more than a bus driver, but he has attempted to drive the bus into a ditch several times now.

Shit happens with Freshmen.  Read this about two of them from the not too distant past.

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2017/10/21/16513988/texas-longhorns-13-oklahoma-state-10-overtime-sam-ehlinger

Texas loses another heartbreaker in OT to Oklahoma State on bad INT

Not shitting on anyone... just talking freshman.

9 minutes ago, SaucyJack said:

Shit happens with Freshmen.  Read this about two of them from the not too distant past.

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2017/10/21/16513988/texas-longhorns-13-oklahoma-state-10-overtime-sam-ehlinger

Texas loses another heartbreaker in OT to Oklahoma State on bad INT

Not shitting on anyone... just talking freshman.

Oh yeah, it certainly happens with young players. No doubt.

But the frequency in which Murphy is throwing turnover prone balls is alarming and worse than anything we've seen out of young QB's we've played in the past. 5 turnovers in 2 games and it honestly should probably be 7 or 8.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yea Klieman's game plan was horrific.  He refused to throw almost the entire first half on offense when our strength against the run and weakness against the pass is well established at this point, AND he stacked the box to stop the run on defense without the secondary to back it up (to an earlier point even Bama with their players had trouble with that strategy).  I get the notion of controlling the run game and daring a 2nd game starter to beat you but our receivers are too good for that.  Our QB doesn't have to be that great against that kind of game strategy.  

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Oh yeah, it certainly happens with young players. No doubt.

But the frequency in which Murphy is throwing turnover prone balls is alarmingly and worse than anything we've seen out of young QB's we've played in the past. 5 turnovers in 2 games and it honestly should probably be 7 or 8.

I share your concern.  I also remember Shane and Sam.  Our clock mgmt didn't do anything to help the situation either.  I appreciate "All gas..",

but comes a time when you got to tap the brakes.  We probably should have led 17-0 going into halftime.  

I said last week, we all need to buckle up until Quinn returns.  Doesn't matter if it's Murphy or Mannning.

30 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

We have won games despite him the last 2 weeks, not because of him.

And that's okay. He is a backup QB. I personally never expected him to be more than a bus driver, but he has attempted to drive the bus into a ditch several times now.

Maalik didn’t play great, but let’s pump the fucking brakes dude. He didn’t fumble on 4th down. He didn’t get the punt blocked and he didn’t fumble on a run. He threw 2 bad picks and didn’t complete much. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, immamac said:

Maalik didn’t play great, but let’s pump the fucking brakes dude. He didn’t fumble on 4th down. He didn’t get the punt blocked and he didn’t fumble on a run. He threw 2 bad picks and didn’t complete much. 

One of his interceptions led to a 12 yard TD drive.

He wasn't responsible for the full collapse but his two interceptions played a huge role.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, immamac said:

if Ewers comes back next week, MM stepped up huge going 2-0 

1 hour ago, SaucyJack said:

Headline somewhere out in the universe....

Longhorns Win

FRESHMAN QB SHOWS FLASHES;  MAKES FRESHMAN MISTAKES

Expert fans clamor for other Freshman QB

I think we are all okay with mistakes from a freshman QB. What happened to MM was different. He psychologically snapped. He was throwing 2 to 3 yards behind every receiver. This was Rick Ankiel level issues. MM was missing passes most of us could make. You may this is an extreme opinion but I think Arch is a better QB than most of the posters on Surly. 

• Hook 'Em 2

This is where the Greg Davis sideways offense would be effective. Just ask him to throw a bunch of bubble screens and 3 yard outs. Anything else is a ticking time bomb

In the first half, he bounced one to Worthy that was just bizarre because Worth had space. Announcers didn’t mention it all other that dumbass Gus staying what “Worthy is just going to let that one roll out of bounds.”
  • Haha 2

Burton and Hamilton discussed on Friday's podcast that Maalik missed at least a day of practice this week and the week prior due to what's likely an unknown injury. Has that report somehow not made it to this thread? He's playing like he needs to avoid contact.

Edited by Chopper

6 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Stass- What somebody did at a directional school doesn't equate to what someone does here. It's a lot different. Playing higher quality defenses with a lot more pressure on you. Secondly, the NFL brings guys in on potential. If they have all the measurables they are looking for they will bring them in on potential. You know, the same way we bring in recruits from high school. None of those dudes worked out here nor did they work out in the next level.

That’s certainly one way to look at it

5 hours ago, formermav43 said:

In Colt's second year as a starter, Jevan Snead was sitting out the season at Ole Miss because he'd transferred.

Exactly, everyone was doing the same wishcasting over Jevan with nobody knowing how good he would have been. 

8 minutes ago, Josef Pwag said:

I think we are all okay with mistakes from a freshman QB. What happened to MM was different. He psychologically snapped. He was throwing 2 to 3 yards behind every receiver. This was Rick Ankiel level issues. MM was missing passes most of us could make. You may this is an extreme opinion but I think Arch is a better QB than most of the posters on Surly. 

The problem is people writing him off, which is ridiculous. The kid flashed brighter than anyone I can remember. Then he went off the rails. Let him try to learn from it. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

His footwork is abysmal. At times, some of the worst i've ever seen from a D1 player in an actual game. I wish Sark would manage him harder like he did with Quinn last year, but I understand wanting to give MM the opportunity to see how much more work he really needs.

He's probably gone either way, but it's gotta be pretty clear to him now just how much work he needs to do before being the guy.

Edited by Atticus
  • Haha 1

Exactly, everyone was doing the same wishcasting over Jevan with nobody knowing how good he would have been. 

I remember a large portion of the fanbase calling for Jevan because he had a rocket arm and believe was a surprisingly good runner too. But Of course was a true freshman. RIP.
  • Hook 'Em 2

His footwork is abysmal. At times, some of the worst i've ever seen from a D1 player in an actual game.

When the pressure is on, he naturally reverts back to his old bad habits. It’s mostly mental. Time will tell if he gets better with experience or not. But turning the ball over is the #1 sin and we will definitely lose one of the next 2 games if he continues to play like this. He melted down at home, just imagine a hostile road environment. Scares you to death.
  • Hook 'Em 1

If he was just erratic and throwing 1 to 2 balls that were picked or could have been then I'd say it's freshman issues, but that isn't the case here. He's throwing 4 to 6 balls a game that could be picked. He's been fortunate guys haven't gotten a beat on his throws yet. 

It's possible Sark just thinks Arch isn't ready and doesn't want him to get exposed but he's letting Murphy get exposed badly. He shouldn't be letting Murphy throw over the middle unless it's deep middle. He should be scheming 1 read with a dump off outlet and mixing up his RPO looks. And Murphy should fucking know if that one read isn't there then look to the dumpoff and if that's not there throw it in the ground/out of bounds or eat it. 

I just refuse to believe Arch would be this bad and careless with the ball. He played in an offensive system at Isidore Newman similar to Sark's with much of the same terminology (according to Hamilton) so he came in 10 months ago with familiarity. Isidore Newman is also out talented in a lot of positions so he grew up playing under pressure and having to make throw it away/eat it/scramble decisions. It's what he's used to doing. If nothing else he's far more mobile so defenses would have to play him to run opening up passing lanes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

No, the problem is the people who thought he had flashed brighter than anyone they can remember. That was absurd, completely wrong, and led to unrealistic expectations. Now that he's playing like a mediocre QB (possibly because he's young, possibly because he's mediocre, time will tell) people are pissed because they believed those previous terrible takes. He never showed greatness like simpletons watching a mediocre spring game performance thought.

Also some people are pissed by those that got suckered refusing to admit it because stupid is irritating and contagious and needs to be snuffed out. 

1 hour ago, utexas8 said:

Yeah I know people were blaming the 1st interception on cook falling which can be true but all he had to do was look and notice 5 white jerseys and no orange. Cook fell down pretty early. Even if cook didn’t fall it still shouldn’t have been thrown to him.

I missed the 2nd quarter with kids soccer so watched that this morning.  I watched that play 4 or 5 times.  Unless Cook somehow played tremendous defense, I'm pretty sure that ball was picked regardless.  What Sark said about Malik is exactly right.  He tries to make plays when there is absolutely no play to be made.  Nobody was open on that play.  He throws it away we are at 3rd and 2 in FG range and likely get points on the drive.  He throws the ball on the 4th quarter pic away instead of making probably the most boneheaded play I've seen a Texas QB make (with stiff competition from his throw against BYU last week) we punt it and it likely never gets that close.  

I don't think anyone is "giving up on MM" as is the narrative by some on this thread.  But we're playing for a conference championship and playoff spot right now.   If this was an 8-4 or 7-5 season fine, let him make mistakes and figure it out, but we aren't in a position for him to work through this right now.  A better D probably picks off 4 passes yesterday.   Assuming Ewers can't go, I think we have to get Arch in for a series early next week so that if it's a tight game and MM is melting down, Arch isn't in a position to have to save us on his first ever series.  Arch will never be "dual threat" but he can actually scramble if open unlike MM and move the chains. And he may very well make mistakes and throw picks not reading coverage, but if nothing else, I would think his pedigree would keep him from just pure WTF throws right at a defender we've seen the past 2 weeks.

More importantly we need QE back.  We're playing with fire as long as he is out.  

Edited by Skipper
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

That’s certainly one way to look at it.

Look. This is Texas where teams gameplan every week for your game despite playing other opponents. Where the UH's of the world come in all fired up and throw all their emotions at you and then give zero effort in a shutout game a week or so later. You are getting everyone's best shot and all the pressure. It's not for everyone. Gilbert was overwhelmed here and it showed in his play. Pros felt the same way. Hold the clipboard. Same for the others. 

Idk if MM will miraculously become a great or even good QB but comparing every one of our QBs to VY and colts slump is ridiculous. That’s like when everyone compares their new coaches first year to Nick Saban. Saban lost to so and so his first year so don’t write off XYZ!!

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

I think Kiper had him as the 15th overall pick.  You gotta go unless he wants to be the first qb taken in 2025

If Ewers stays, he has to stay healthy the whole '24 season, otherwise his stock prolly drops. If he gets back this season and goes back to being really effective (which is questionable with a bum throwing shoulder) I'd expect him to go pro. We'll see...

58 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

No, the problem is the people who thought he had flashed brighter than anyone they can remember. That was absurd, completely wrong, and led to unrealistic expectations. Now that he's playing like a mediocre QB (possibly because he's young, possibly because he's mediocre, time will tell) people are pissed because they believed those previous terrible takes. He never showed greatness like simpletons watching a mediocre spring game performance thought.

Bullshit. It's two games. Get a hold of yourself. You're a liar if you didn't think he was a fucking stud after the first quarter. Let's see how he responds. Only an idiot would start Manning next week.

Edited by mwaadeeb
Plus I was never on his jock, I was always skeptical, until he jumped all over KSU. Now I'm skeptical again, but he's got some fucking chops too.

• immamac changed the title to Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers