Wulaw Horn

So we are heading into the UTSA game with the possibility of having to start QB3? Sonofabitch!!!

Ive got full confidence in sarks ability to scheme and cater the game plan according to who is taking the snap, but damn……….. we’re getting into “danger zone” areas of the depth chart.

You need make opponents have respect for the passing game to a certain extent, or that play sheet gets very compact and easier to defend. I think that as long as the QB can connect on throws in the 25yd range, Sark will be able to scheme effectively enough. 

2 hours ago, Fud said:

SP+ update has Texas at #16, at at #7 on offense and #40 on defense

Preseason:  22, 8, 51

Post Week 1: 18, 8, 47

Post Week 2: 16, 7, 40

40 on defense seems a bit low. Or high for that matter

defense balled out against bama, outside of the one run and last drive bama did nothing.  Great to see been a decade at least.

Edited by Dr.Dre

I don’t know how good UTSA is but this does set up about as well as they could have hoped for, at least for our team’s situation.  Coming off a crushing last second loss.  Down to third string QB.  Best offensive player nursing shoulder injury.  Starting CB probably out.  Feeling like we have proved something.  Maybe we are dooooomed.  

Okay I'm just asking because I honestly don't know the answer.

Why would several of you be calling for Charles Wright if Card can't go?

All I heard about Maalik Murphy (and this was before Ewers was on board, I think) was that he was some kind of all world talent.  To be fair, I'm basing this on comments or tweets I saw from Ketchum, who was suggesting that Murphy was a "6-Star" QB.

I don't know anything about the season Murphy wound up having last fall.

Edited by Augustus

3 minutes ago, Augustus said:

All I heard about Maalik Murphy (and this was before Ewers was on board, I think) was that he was some kind of all world talent.  To be fair, I'm basing this on comments or tweets I saw from Ketchum, who was suggesting that Murphy was a "6-Star" QB.

He's been 3rd man up in televised practices and reports. Everything reports to him being #3. Also reporting that they have revamped his throwing motion. The plan was always to redshirt him.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

UTSA nearly lost to a triple option team on Saturday. I Would rather see RoJo lead the wildcat than Wright lead the offense if it comes down to that.

They almost lost because Army put in a QB that could throw and torched them for 300 yards.

Had Ballard not been injured for a large portion of the 2nd half Army would have won. 

6 minutes ago, Augustus said:

In all the QB3 situations, Wright has been the one to play. That tells me that he's #3 in sark's mind and ahead of Murphy at the moment. Maybe that's based on understanding of the playback, time in the program, who knows, but I'll trust him to know his team.

If Card can't play, I'd love to see Wright be the QB with perhaps an even split with Roschon running wildcat plays. Especially if Roschon can pass every now and then.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’ll go ahead and put it in.  Texas wins and covers.  

defense looking nasty now having learned their roles.  Paterson looks to have made a huge difference in the secondary play which has allowed d-line to get home.  The pass rush night and day over last year. Defending Heisman winner was on his back plenty.  The commentators had it right.  “Who are these guys?”

UTSA doesn’t have the athletes to hold up for 4 quarters against the large humans that flood is going to throw out there.  Think the RB room gets a lot of work to over 250 rush yards.  Card if he can go throws only screens, slants etc and dunk and dunks when necessary.  

only was utsa wins is +2 turnover margin in 1st half and having to play from behind.

• Hook 'Em 2

• Ewers out 4-6wks
  • Card questionable
  • Jamison doubtful
  • Bijan getting shoulder checked
  • Wright likely starts + RoCat

Injury Updates | Charles Wright Expectations | Quinn Ewers | Hudson Card | On Texas Football

Gonna need team effort -- get focused guys !!!

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Augustus said:

Did Roschon come to Texas as a QB recruit?  I seem to remember him being moved to RB because of a need at that position.  He's actually one of the strongest/toughest runners at that position in college.

Yes. Granted, he was going to be buried in the depth chart... but so is Wright. Who knows.

Do we know for sure that Bijan is available (shoulder)? When I say I want to see Roschon in the wildcat, I'm assuming we have Bijan.

3 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Wright was an Iowa State commitment before we flipped him, so I would hope he can make throws like that.  

Yep, he’s not a complete scrub walk on. Dude had offers from ISU, Arkansas (not sure if commitable), Louisiana, and NC state. He might suck but he is capable of the basics.

• Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

May not mean anything, but Jeff Howe said Card came to post-game without a boot or any kind of treatment (ice) on his ankle.

I mean ideally, you want Card to be as healthy as possible for conference play. On a macro level for W/L, this UTSA game means nothing (although optically and public perception are negatively impacted). 

I wouldn’t mind starting Wright for the UTSA game and see how things play out. Maybe we can have the luxury of resting Card and still secure the win. If it’s obvious Card needs to get in there due to a shitshow being displayed, then whatever. Play it by ear though.

I don’t care what kind of rag tag shit we have to throw together, as long as we get wins. Our goal should be do whatever is necessary to hand the team back to Quinn in the best possible shape for a run at conference 

Edited by The Deuce
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Yep, he’s not a complete scrub walk on. Dude had offers from ISU, Arkansas (not sure if commitable), Louisiana, and NC state. He might suck but he is capable of the basics.

He almost won a playoff game at Austin High. 

I'd imagine he's at least competent and could manage a game if need be. 

5 minutes ago, The Deuce said:

I mean ideally, you want Card to be as healthy as possible for conference play. On a macro level for W/L, this UTSA game means nothing (although optically and public perception are negatively impacted). 

I wouldn’t mind starting Wright for the UTSA game and see how things play out. Maybe we can have the luxury of resting Card and still secure the win. If it’s obvious Card needs to get in there due to a shitshow being displayed, then whatever. Play it by ear though.

I don’t care what kind of rag tag shit we have to throw together, as long as we get wins. Our goal should be do whatever is necessary to hand the team back to Quinn in the best possible shape for a run at conference 

9 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I think our WRs are going to torch UTSA’s secondary. If Card can’t go I would much prefer Wright over the wildcat nonsense. 

He will hit a few open WRs. 

I agree with both of these.  I think we need to get ready for a Tom Hermanesque nail-biter against an inferior opponent, but I like to think the way the defense played yesterday we can pull this out against UTSA and then see where we are this time next week. 

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

If Malik is behind wright he should probably portal, especially with arch coming next year. I thought for sure he would be next in line. Guess not.

If they are tinkering with his throwing motion, then that’s a process in itself. Involves repetition over and over until it becomes natural w/o thinking about it. If he’s not 100% comfortable with that, then he doesn’t go out there. Instinct will have him reverting to what he has always done when live game speed is occurring. Then you will have him thinking about throwing it the new way at the same time. Basically it’s just a no for me, personally. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Deuce said:

If they are tinkering with his throwing motion, then that’s a process in itself. Involves repetition over and over until it becomes natural w/o thinking about it. If he’s not 100% comfortable with that, then he doesn’t go out there. Instinct will have him reverting to what he has always done when live game speed is occurring. Then you will have him thinking about throwing it the new way at the same time. Basically it’s just a no for me, personally. 

This. There's a reason why he isn't gonna see the field this year. If we see Wright play well in this game, then next year a QB room of Ewers/Murphy/Manning/Wright looks elite.

Just gotta scrape together 8 wins this year, but I'm hopeful the run game is gonna come alive here soon.

32 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

May not mean anything, but Jeff Howe said Card came to post-game without a boot or any kind of treatment (ice) on his ankle.

Card is healthy enough to feed the entire running back room. 

Just now, Poe It Up said:

Is this game on LHN? 

Yes.

RS608154_20180731_MR2_3619-e1536777165754.jpg

• Rage+1 2

I like to think that our unimpressive rushing stats thus far are a result of trying to get Ewers plenty of reps passing when the first team was in there against ULM, and the level of competition playing Bama.  Hoping that we can start to bully some lesser teams with this OL now that we have to make that our focus.  Not worried at all about the RB's we have to carry the football.  

2 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

This always makes me laugh. He hasn’t played QB in over 4 years, and never at the college level. 

Same.  Even if he knows all the plays he knows them from the RB position, not the QB position.  He hasn't read a defense except maybe the occasional wildcat where the reads are "do I hand it off or do I keep it?" 

• Hook 'Em 1

Scouting report as a 3 star recruit. Was committed to Iowa State. Had he gone he probably ends up being a Brock Purdy type pain in our ass so I have faith he can get can get us past UTSA. Let’s hope Card gets back by conference play and Ewers by OU.

75D37DD4-98E1-4FC6-B53F-7B7EDCA15AB7.png

Edited by TexEx15
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Atticus said:

This. There's a reason why he isn't gonna see the field this year. If we see Wright play well in this game, then next year a QB room of Ewers/Murphy/Manning/Wright looks elite.

Just gotta scrape together 8 wins this year, but I'm hopeful the run game is gonna come alive here soon.

I’m not conceding a single game at this particular moment. Having QB1 & QB2 both injured blows dick, but it’s the current hand dealt. I believe this team can win with Card up until the OU matchup (he got confidence points from me for how he handled himself against Bama). Our O-line will gel more and more each game that is played, and they’ve just passed their toughest test they will face. 

So if Card needs an extra week…….. then let’s allow Wright to get a shot vs UTSA (assuming Sark signs off yada yada). If for some reason the football gods actually allow the ball to bounce our way……….then Quinn is cleared for OU, and the raping and pillaging commences. 

I just don’t want a perfectly good football season to simply be a “well we improved some” year. It’s our last run with Bijan, and at this point, everything we want is still attainable. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Conversations about starting anyone other than QB3 are just silly. You recruit that many for a reason. If you can’t play with QB3 and have to resort to wildcat then why even have a QB3?  Better to spend that ship on more linemen.  

Someone will play quarterback and that person will someone with plenty of recent practice reps. And we will mudhole UTSA with them regardless of who it is. 

For Bijan’s sake I hate seeing him miss time but we can afford to lose him easier than just about any other position. RJ and KR should be solid against any team we play all year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Either Wright or Murphy have to be better than a gimpy Card. I give Card a ton of credit for playing injured but he holds the ball too long as it stands, add in being slowed by injury and not being able to plant for longer throws and it is just a recipe for loading up the box and blitzing him.

Wright and or/Murphy at least give you some escapability

17 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Either Wright or Murphy have to be better than a gimpy Card.

There is nothing that supports this theory. Neither of these guys have ever thrown a pass in a game.

Bama knew Card was hurt and still struggled to get consistent pressure throughout the second half. If UTSA really wants to bring the house, we have the receivers to create separation and Card has the arm talent to throw it to a lot of places on the field even if he can’t fully step into throws. If he is healthy enough, we can cook up a gameplan that minimizes the time he spends outside the pocket running around on rollouts and what not.

We shouldn't need much from QB. Shouldn't. Give Bijan and Rojo 40 carries, throw 15-20 screen passes, mix in some wild cat and some deep shots - we will put up points. 

We just can't turn the ball over and be sloppy on D. Card did a great job at managing the game despite still obviously being a mediocre QB. If he's even at 80% there shouldn't be any excuses for losing this. 

And we're at home. And this fanbase has gotten a taste for the first time in forever. DKR is going to be loud and packed out. Again. 

10 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

This game is problematic if both Ewers and Card are still dinged up and we have a big letdown emotionally after the Bama loss. It's gonna be tough. Birds will be fired up.

I don't see an emotional letdown with both Ewers and Card out for this game. Having watched UTSA against UH, their OL is trash. Now their QB can make plays, so then pass rush needs to stay in their lanes, and if Alabama's skill talent was struggling to find space against our secondary, then I don't see UTSA G5 skill players getting much done either.

Also, Army threw for over 300 yards against UTSA. I don't think their QB and skill talent is anywhere close to ours even with Charles taking 100% of the snaps.

1 hour ago, TexEx15 said:

Scouting report as a 3 star recruit. Was committed to Iowa State. Had he gone he probably ends up being a Brock Purdy type pain in our ass so I have faith he can get can get us past UTSA. Let’s hope Card gets back by conference play and Ewers by OU.

75D37DD4-98E1-4FC6-B53F-7B7EDCA15AB7.png

Well I'm sold on Wright.  Murphy is obviously the better athlete, but Wright has been with Sark for two years and knows the system better.  Start him and hope the defense can look as good as it did against Bama.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

UTSA nearly lost to a triple option team on Saturday. I Would rather see RoJo lead the wildcat than Wright lead the offense if it comes down to that.

That triple option team threw for over 300 yards with their backup QB. Wright is the right call. No one has ever seen Wright play with the 1st team offense. He will likely get a week of reps with the 1s in practice and Sark will build the gameplan around him to be successful.

If Sark, can make Thompson, Card, and Ewers look successful, then he can make Wright look successful against a shitty defense.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

That triple option team threw for over 300 yards with their backup QB. Wright is the right call. No one has ever seen Wright play with the 1st team offense. He will likely get a week of reps with the 1s in practice and Sark will build the gameplan around him to be successful.

If Sark, can make Thompson, Card, and Ewers look successful, then he can make Wright look successful against a shitty defense.

I bet wright is as good or better than Card. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• immamac changed the title to UTSA VS Texas 9/17/22
  • immamac locked this topic