Hudson Card

Neonmoon

1 hour ago, Victor Lazlo said:

I just rewatched the game, and I don’t know what the Card haters expect.

I see a quarterback that is improving with more playing time.

He went 21 of 27 - one of which was a Hail Mary at the end of the half. Made a couple of off schedule plays, stood in and got blasted on the 1st TD pass. Later in the 1st half stepped up in a tight pocket and hit Worthy for a big gain.

Sure, he wasn’t perfect, overthrew Worthy, underthrew a couple.

But I think he’s played well enough to not deserve to be getting shit on by some of the fan base. I wouldn’t blame either of our losses on him.

The reason why we get frustrated with Card is because we know that eventually we are going to play a good secondary, where guys are running right behind or next to our guys and he has to make on schedule throws. Sark draws up a lot of plays that bust opposing secondaries, and tonight Card hit on those plays. However, imo the best throw Card made all night was the slant(or crossing trying to remember) pass which was on a rope and on time with the defender in his hip pocket. Great ball. We need more of that. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Disco Strangler said:

He’s had a good game.  I love the high standard, but you  fuckers didn’t have to live through (or have forgotten) Gardere, Morenz, Mock, Heard, Snead, Harris . . . and the list goes on.   Other than Vince orColt, do you enjoy being a fan of this team of college kids?   

A valid point.  The level of play of college QBs has really elevated over that 20-someodd year span.  And it's pretty vital these days to have an all-world college QB to compete at the highest level.

Once Ewers is back (and Card is close to 100% healthy on that ankle), it would be cool if we find a way to sprinkle in some 2 QB sets or some wrinkles to keep Card engaged and potentially have some fun trick plays offensively. Card deserves it and he’s put himself in position to find a nice landing spot if he chooses to move on after the year.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

It looked to me like the throw was not in stride. It was not a big miss though. Roschon should have caught it.

It was out of his reach. That wasn't a drop. It was a miss. Maybe Roschon could have adjusted better and put himself a position to make the catch, but Card made a simple wide open play way more difficult than necessary. 

To be clear, Card is way improved and has played well enough that we could be undefeated right now. But anything deep or along the sidelines just isn't accurate. Oddly enough, his best throws by far have been in the middle of the field, but we rarely have him throw those. Ewers will make a huge difference toward our ability to sustain drives. 

• Hook 'Em 6

He finally made throws where he was throwing to a spot on field. He also still has misses that are just unexplainable. In 1st when X was sprinting down middle no defenders with 8-10 yards of him. You can't miss that, underthrow him if you have to .. 

6 hours ago, Victor Lazlo said:

I just rewatched the game, and I don’t know what the Card haters expect.

I see a quarterback that is improving with more playing time.

He went 21 of 27 - one of which was a Hail Mary at the end of the half. Made a couple of off schedule plays, stood in and got blasted on the 1st TD pass. Later in the 1st half stepped up in a tight pocket and hit Worthy for a big gain.

Sure, he wasn’t perfect, overthrew Worthy, underthrew a couple.

But I think he’s played well enough to not deserve to be getting shit on by some of the fan base. I wouldn’t blame either of our losses on him.

Agree with all of this, accurately rated out of HS, progressing nicely under the staff.

I really can't wait to see what this staff can do with multiple consecutive starts and 5-star talent at QB.

• Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, nineliveslost said:

Yes Mrs. Card. I love Texas but let's not be blind to the guy panicking every single fucking time 

Thanks for your son being a part of the university though 

He’s way better at not panicking this year. 

The guy is not perfect by any means but he’s clearly improved and is a more than serviceable backup. 

• Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Once Ewers is back (and Card is close to 100% healthy on that ankle), it would be cool if we find a way to sprinkle in some 2 QB sets or some wrinkles to keep Card engaged and potentially have some fun trick plays offensively. Card deserves it and he’s put himself in position to find a nice landing spot if he chooses to move on after the year.

Kansas did that yesterday. Had some plays where QB2 played running back. They handed off to him running to the edge with a run pass option 

Card excelled at that yesterday. Getting defenders to come off their guy to defend his run threat and then dumping off to an open guy. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Although Card is far from perfect, and his missed open balls over 10yards make me want to kick puppy, he had a good game overall and has improved.   Hope that the switch has flipped and he continues to improve.  Sark needs to just lock him in a room for a week and make him do mental processing exercises 

6C79A015-8E06-4A4D-BFFF-735A9F20EAB4.gif.4109a8f10849ed9aa04c1135eab02c83.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

52 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Worthy wasn’t a bad QB last night

• Hook 'Em 7

Open dudes all over the field last night. Card hit them, sometimes. Sometimes it was an errant throw, or very underthrown, or very overthrown. 

But he has improved. I think it was Michael Griffin who said that this time last year, Card wouldn't even look up from the DL as they were rushing him in the pocket. 

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

Y'all are fucking ridiculous.

I'm sure we'll see the same criticism when Ewers misses on 6 passes and throws for 300y and 3 TD in an 18 point win.

GTFOH

You would absolutely see the same criticism if Ewers struggled to hit wide open receivers in stride on a consistent basis. 

• Hook 'Em 4

50 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Both. Card underthrew it a tad and Roschon could have still caught it but just made a bad adjustment on it.

Underthrew? It was a good two yards in front of Roschon. What it looked like to me was that Roschon found a very soft spot and slowed up to keep distance from the safety that was deep (or maybe it was the corner? I don't have a replay handy).  Card expected Roschon to keep moving. Both contributed to the incomplete, but Card had to see that Roschon was wide the fuck open and just needed a gentle lob so he could run under it. Instead he did a bit of a side arm straight line throw that gave Roschon very little ability to adjust once the ball was in the air. 

Again, Card played very well for the most part. He definitely isn't the panicky QB he was last year. I very much appreciate what he has done. But, he creates very real limitations on this offense. Teams will continue to make him burn them until he shows the ability to do it consistently. 

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Underthrew? It was a good two yards in front of Roschon. What it looked like to me was that Roschon found a very soft spot and slowed up to keep distance from the safety that was deep (or maybe it was the corner? I don't have a replay handy).  Card expected Roschon to keep moving. Both contributed to the incomplete, but Card had to see that Roschon was wide the fuck open and just needed a gentle lob so he could run under it. Instead he did a bit of a side arm straight line throw that gave Roschon very little ability to adjust once the ball was in the air. 

What are you talking about? It wasn’t an overthrow. Card under threw it inside so Roschon had to move to his right to have a chance to catch it. It was a god awful throw with no pressure and a wide open receiver. 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I couldn't tell by the angle either. Maybe it was a touch inside. Either way, it's a throw we've seen off a few times where if it had been on the money it would have been 6 points.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

What are you talking about? It wasn’t an overthrow. Card under threw it inside so Roschon had to move to his right to have a chance to catch it. It was a god awful throw with no pressure and a wide open receiver. 

I see what you're saying. I guess I find it weird to call it an underthrow when it lands 2 yards in front of a wide open receiver. But yeah, underthrow inside I suppose is a good description. 

Card is as solid last night, but also a little lucky. He missed 3 wide open plays for TDs (1 completed). I believe his longest completion of the day was the poor decision to throw to a double teamed Worthy in the end zone. Great catch by Worthy, but I don’t think Card called bank off the safety’s hands. He had another throw in the second half bounce off the hands of a defender. There was good and some bad. Plenty enough good to win, but enough bad to see why he is the back up. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Like 1

Dabo picked a freshman Trevor Lawrence over Kelly Bryant; Saban picked Tua over Hurts. It's not like those other QBs were bad. Great coaches aren't afraid to pick the QB who has the highest ceiling. Card looked better at home against a shitty team when the playcalling was designed not to expose his weaknesses. He has never played well on the road. 

Edited by UTEE97
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Horn Dog said:

Although Card is far from perfect, and his missed open balls over 10yards make me want to kick puppy, he had a good game overall and has improved.   Hope that the switch has flipped and he continues to improve.  Sark needs to just lock him in a room for a week and make him do mental processing exercises 

6C79A015-8E06-4A4D-BFFF-735A9F20EAB4.gif.4109a8f10849ed9aa04c1135eab02c83.gif

The best thing Sark can do is allow Card to run IF his ankle can take it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It was absolutely a shitty under throw that dropped like a brick

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Card is as solid last night, but also a little lucky. He missed 3 wide open plays for TDs (1 completed). I believe his longest completion of the day was the poor decision to throw to a double teamed Worthy in the end zone. Great catch by Worthy, but I don’t think Card called bank off the safety’s hands. He had another throw in the second half bounce off the hands of a defender. There was good and some bad. Plenty enough good to win, but enough bad to see why he is the back up. 

I don't think the decision to throw it to Worthy in the back of the end zone was that bad. There was room in the corner. And a good throw would have given Worthy a chance to make a play and kept the underneath defender out of it. Hell, the guy covering Worthy would have been guilty of pass interference absent the outstretched tip of the underneath defender. But Card doesn't have that arm. 

Just now, Dahobbs said:

I don't think the decision to throw it to Worthy in the back of the end zone was that bad. There was room in the corner. And a good throw would have given Worthy a chance to make a play and kept the underneath defender out of it. Hell, the guy covering Worthy would have been guilty of pass interference absent the outstretched tip of the underneath defender. But Card doesn't have that arm. 

It was double coverage and it bounced off the safety’s hands. It was a poor decision. It was very lucky not to be an interception.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

It was double coverage and it bounced off the safety’s hands. It was a poor decision. It was very lucky not to be an interception.  

We were definitely lucky. But the only reason the safety is in a position for it bounce off his hands is because it was underthrown. Worthy had a step on both defenders and had to stop and turn around for the ball. A ball in the corner gives him a chance to make a play and limits the risk. Other QBs can make that throw. Card can't. 

https://youtu.be/prhhT4UOdRU?t=251

image.png.54157f209130978598b67daf344edda4.png

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, CleverNickname said:

Was at DKR. Was the Roschon (wheel?) pass a drop or on Card? 

It was on Card, he threw a pass behind Johnson. Johnson should have caught it, but it would have been a TD had Card delivered a catchable ball. Just like on 1st throw to Johnson earlier in the game.

This is why we have issues with Card's inconsistent ball placement. Sarkisian schemed up wide open guys and Card missed on a lot of them. Against better defenses you can't miss wide open receivers. That will cost you games, just like it did last year when Thompson missed wide open receivers.

Card is now at a point that all good backup QBs are there for. They will not lose the game, but they don't make enough plays to win games when they are needed.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Card has been just about heroic playing injured and still making key runs at key moments when we seem to be at the point of faltering.

No one will remember his scramble last night for a first down in a game with a lopsided score, but it, to me, is a key moment in UT's trajectory. It came at a moment when there was a glimmer of hope for WV, and we were in that spot where we have lacked the instinct to finish a kill. Third and long. A punt to WV is a sickening notion considering our history. Card gets the first down. We finish the winner's path. 

This is all true.  And Ewers should starts.

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

We were definitely lucky. But the only reason the safety is in a position for it bounce off his hands is because it was underthrown. Worthy had a step on both defenders and had to stop and turn around for the ball. A ball in the corner gives him a chance to make a play and limits the risk. Other QBs can make that throw. Card can't. 

https://youtu.be/prhhT4UOdRU?t=251

image.png.54157f209130978598b67daf344edda4.png

The throw was also late. Worthy would’ve run out of end zone had he led him in stride. The ball needed to come out of Card’s hand a fraction of a second sooner.

I’m not a Card hater, but that’s what I see. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Criticism is fine and interesting. Card isn't perfect. I've been interested in the exceedingly vast analysis of two of Card's more questionable throws. I think the criticism is valid.

However, I do find it telling that those who have doubted or despised Card only want to talk about those plays. There has been only slight and accurate praise of how he improvises when he threatens to run the ball. I love that part of his game. 

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Criticism is fine and interesting. Card isn't perfect. I've been interested in the exceedingly vast analysis of two of Card's more questionable throws. I think the criticism is valid.

However, I do find it telling that those who have doubted or despised Card only want to talk about those plays. There has been only slight and accurate praise of how he improvises when he threatens to run the ball. I love that part of his game. 

Was at the game and seems like there were moments when he’s holding on to the ball and takes forever to make a decision. Just processing and processing and understandably it’s most likely he’s still not a 100% but my recall was there was several plays where there was nothing but green in front of him and no one  nearby. Really surprised he didn’t take off running more. 

• Hook 'Em 3