Game Week West Virginia

Wulaw Horn

16 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Lol @ pinning Ewers not starting on Sark being a dumbass instead of uninformed  assumptions regarding his recovery timeline. 

I know its hard to believe, but there are people on this board who are "in the know," who pass off information here, and have legitimate sources on this stuff. I want Sark to succeed as well, just to be clear.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

I know its hard to believe, but there are people on this board who are "in the know," who pass off information here, and have legitimate sources on this stuff. I want Sark to succeed as well, just to be clear.

Yea I don’t put a lot of stock into a game of telephone regarding medical recommendations 

18 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

You should consider the source, before assuming where his information is coming from. I don't have a dog in this fight, but I don't think it's a game of telephone.

Regardless I think there’s more to it than “Sark was told by doctors Ewers is 100% ready to go and just decided not to play his best player because…he’s a pussy?” 

• Hook 'Em 4

Has anyone said anything about Traylor and Maguire connecting after the UTSA game? They know each other well and did a DCTF photo during the summer. UTSA was in that game longer than they should have been. Wonder if he told Maguire he regretted not taking more chances and any other intel to help? 

3 hours ago, XForce said:

Has anyone said anything about Traylor and Maguire connecting after the UTSA game? They know each other well and did a DCTF photo during the summer. UTSA was in that game longer than they should have been. Wonder if he told Maguire he regretted not taking more chances and any other intel to help? 

On the new Longorhn Blitz pod, Jeff Howe said there is no doubt in his mind that they spoke during the week.

I think it’s stupid to make every game a referendum.  I think losing at tech is one of those things that can happen even though I was very unimpressed with that team.  

my question is will the result of the wva game have any bearing on your opinion of sark?  If he wins, will you think “nice bounceback.  Maybe we are on track and sark is learning”.  What will you think if we lose at home?  Would it be the final straw on sark for a lot of you?

• Hook 'Em 2

I think it’s stupid to make every game a referendum.  I think losing at tech is one of those things that can happen even though I was very unimpressed with that team.  

my question is will the result of the wva game have any bearing on your opinion of sark?  If he wins, will you think “nice bounceback.  Maybe we are on track and sark is learning”.  What will you think if we lose at home?  Would it be the final straw on sark for a lot of you?

I think people oversimplify a lot and get their attributions wrong.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

FCB

— Hudson Card and Quinn Ewers were getting equal reps in practice on Tuesday, according to team sources, increasing the likelihood of Ewers seeing action against West Virginia on Saturday at 6:30 pm CT (on FS1) after suffering a sternoclavicular sprain against Alabama on Sept. 10.

Last week, Card got the majority of first-team reps before starting in a 37-34 overtime loss at Texas Tech in which Card completed 20 of 30 passes for 277 yards and two touchdowns with one interception.

Receiver Xavier Worthy is also easing back into practice this week after being listed as day-to-day with a lower leg injury by coach Steve Sarkisian. Sources are encouraged that Worthy will be available for Saturday's game against the Mountaineers. Worthy, who has 14 catches for 212 yards this season, scored his first touchdown of 2022 against Texas Tech on a 39-yard pass from Card with 6:07 left in the second quarter, putting Texas up 17-14. But Worthy was absent in the second half, when Texas blew a 31-17 lead against the Red Raiders

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Receiver Xavier Worthy is also easing back into practice this week after being listed as day-to-day with a lower leg injury by coach Steve Sarkisian. Sources are encouraged that Worthy will be available for Saturday's game against the Mountaineers. Worthy, who has 14 catches for 212 yards this season, scored his first touchdown of 2022 against Texas Tech on a 39-yard pass from Card with 6:07 left in the second quarter, putting Texas up 17-14. But Worthy was absent in the second half, when Texas blew a 31-17 lead against the Red Raiders

Worthy is just as important as Ewers IMO.  It's not a coincidence Tech didn't respect our downfield threat whatsoever in 2nd half.  If Ewers can't go really need Hall (or someone) to step up and make a play or we become pretty easy to defend.

10 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

What's Worthys' drop rate? Catch the fucking ball. Not to mention a few that he could have caught. 

PFF has him at 14 catches on 28 targets and only 1 drop.  The drop number feels way low-  guess they don't count it as a drop when it's a non-routine play which he's dropped several of that I think he'd tell you he should've caught.  They show him only catching 1 of 5 contested targets as well.  

For record-  Whittington has 18 catches on 24 targets.  Think the biggest difference is Worthy has an average depth of target at 21.3 yards whereas JWhit's is 8.4. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

PFF has him at 14 catches on 28 targets and only 1 drop.  The drop number feels way low-  guess they don't count it as a drop when it's a non-routine play which he's dropped several of that I think he'd tell you he should've caught.  They show him only catching 1 of 5 contested targets as well.  

For record-  Whittington has 18 catches on 24 targets.  Think the biggest difference is Worthy has an average depth of target at 21.3 yards whereas JWhit's is 8.4. 

No way he has only one drop this year. I know from memory only he has at least 2. They must be counting something as contested that really wasn't.

Edited by Longhornlove

3 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

An example of college PFF not always being reliable 

7 minutes ago, Fud said:

An example of college PFF not always being reliable 

I think some of it is the definitions that PFF uses. They use a different definition of sack than official score keepers. I wonder if they have a different definition of drop compared to the normal accepted definition. Not to mention a drop is a pretty subjective term

Edited by Codaxx

9 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Well he definitely had the one drop against Tech. I guess the long bomb into the endzone against Bama wasn't technically a drop but he got his hands on it. Don't think he's gotten his hands on any of the other deep shots that fell incomplete.

1 "drop" may actually be right the more I think about it. He definitely had a handful last year though too.

13 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yep. As others have noted, he is also not very good at locating the ball quickly and adjusting his route. The exact thing that Neyor showed great skill at in his film; that injury really hurt this team. Card is not a great deep ball thrower but there have been multiple attempts where if Worthy was as elite as he wants to get paid like he is, he would have made the catch. 

When a pass 40+ yards downfield lands two yards to your left and you never deviated from the straight line of your route, that's on you as a receiver. 

This. Worthy is a great athlete playing WR. He is not a great WR. He is poor at tracking the ball, effort is lacking at times, 50/50 balls are 15/85, sloppy routes, but damn he is quick. 

UTSA ball is great example. He high points the ball and it is a PI at a minimum, instead he lets the DB climb over him and break it up. He i s very talented, but still very raw. 

14 hours ago, XForce said:

Nobody should give a shit. A team of coaches of their caliber should be able to game plan against Texas and still lose with the talent gap between Texas and Tech. Hell, we should be able to give them our scripted plays and put our third string defense on the field and still win.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, XForce said:

11 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

On the new Longhorn Blitz pod, Jeff Howe said there is no doubt in his mind that they spoke during the week.

Coaches talk all the time, it's nothing new or sinister regarding trying to beat Texas or any other team. Some coaches take the call, others don't, but it's not out of the ordinary. I'm sure Sark probably called a coach(es) that played Tech to discuss tactics as well, but it still doesn't change the fact that he has a hard time making in game adjustments. 

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I'm a "body of work" kind of guy. At the end of the season, look back and judge. The problem is that Sark is starting to look similar to the last 2 coaches and honestly similar to coaches not named Mack Brown or Darrell Royal. Because those coaches are so fresh in our minds we can't see anything beyond the bad we focus on. I like Sark as a person, but not really as a coach that instills confidence in his game planning. We looked great against Alabama..., because we prepared our asses off for Alabama. Who else are we preparing our ass off for? 

Do you believe that Sark has a vision and plan with the confidence it takes to execute it? 

Do you believe that Sark has the tools and skills required to win a conference championship?

14 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Man, my dumb ass bought WVU tickets two weeks ago. Now they are half priced.

I got 4 tix for free from a buddy, with a parking pass. I'm going to WVU, OU, and ISU. 🤘

Edited by Droopy
Let's try to win all of our home games. Baby steps.
  • Hook 'Em 2