2018 College World Series

sidis

17 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

More I look at it, I think RF would have caught that except for Shaddy.  He had the right angle and his speed was right until he pulled up because of Shaddy and still was closest to it.

Both the RF & 1B looked like they had a solid bead on the ball until little piglet came storming in to fuck it all up.

3 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

That's why we need to renew a yearly series with Arkansas in all sports

In basketball and baseball, yes.

In football, I wouldn't mind a home and home series every so often, but I prefer the schedule flexibility we have now for OOC games without being committed to playing any one team annually.

Edited by Machinator

Shaddy was the culprit here as I mentioned earlier after the game.

Not only does his bump of the first baseman pull that guy off and makes him turn around...RF is watching him run in so fast like he’s got it that he pulls back.

He tried to be the final-catch hero and cost the pigs the game. Pretty damn certain he stays out of this and 1B or RF grab that ball. Looked like 1B had a real good eye on it.

3 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

Not only does his bump of the first baseman pull that guy off and makes him turn around...RF is watching him run in so fast like he’s got it that he pulls back.

He tried to be the final-catch hero and cost the pigs the game. Pretty damn certain he stays out of this and 1B or RF grab that ball. Looked like 1B had a real good eye on it.

Hard to tell from that angle but it looks like the RF was so close he could've stuck his glove out and got a piece of it. But instead he was watching his buddy over run it by about 4ft. 

13 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

Yup the 1B definitely took off with determination it looked like he had the best handle on it.  Ultimately it should have been the RF's call to make given distance & perspective.

The 2B should have never been anywhere near the play he totally screwed the other two out of making the play so big up de Shaddy

Jesus H. Christ on a cracker. It was the right fielder's responsibility 100%. Stop trying to convince yourselves of anything else. He had the best angle, he could have gotten there, and he is an outfielder coming in towards a ball versus infielders going out. Right fielder's fault. I don't care if the second baseman was literally on fire, pointing a gun at him, and screaming to get away because it was his ball. The right fielder would STILL have priority to catch that ball and he absolutely should have called everyone else off.

And the fact that the second baseman was on a dead sprint makes it MORE the right fielder's fault, not less. As an outfielder, if you see that happening out of the corner of your eye, then you know it's an even more difficult catch than usual for the infielder. So you have even more of a reason to call him off.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Jesus H. Christ on a cracker. It was the right fielder's responsibility 100%. Stop trying to convince yourselves of anything else. He had the best angle, he could have gotten there, and he is an outfielder coming in towards a ball versus infielders going out. Right fielder's fault. I don't care if the second baseman was literally on fire, pointing a gun at him, and screaming to get away because it was his ball. The right fielder would STILL have priority to catch that ball and he absolutely should have called everyone else off.

And the fact that the second baseman was on a dead sprint makes it MORE the right fielder's fault, not less. As an outfielder, if you see that happening out of the corner of your eye, then you know it's an even more difficult catch than usual for the infielder. So you have even more of a reason to call him off.

At least he would have an excuse then.

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

More I look at it, I think RF would have caught that except for Shaddy.  He had the right angle and his speed was right until he pulled up because of Shaddy and still was closest to it.

I remembered after the game how that right fielder made a great play on a ball in the ninth of game one where he jumped up and reached over to get it.  Then a day later  he jogs up to that one. 

I  don't care who was at fault.  The ball hit the ground.  OSU took advantage and the rest is CWS/baseball history.  Screw those woo pig sooey, horns down throwing inbreds.  Slim Shaddy, the right fielder, and the Deliverance banjo boy looking first baseman can own it for life.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Reading that site is depressing as a Poke...so many wins and not a lot to show for it. Gary Ward years were just crazy.

My great aunt was a poke too. I always root for OSU when they aren't playing Texas because of her. Back when I just finished 4th grade she told me I needed to watch this guy Barry Sanders back in the summer of 1988. Then he turned in the greatest season in NCAA history and I was blown away at how cool and sports savvy my great aunt was. You mix in that Texas and OSU both hate the Sooners and the rest is history.

What sucks is OU

OU is what sucks

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I dont think anyone is arguing to the contrary.  I was under the impression yesterday that the RF lollygagged it and failed to call the others off what should have been his ball.  But on repetitive re-watch, it appears that a) he could have caught it b) he called off 1B (although 1B could have just been interrupted by 2B)  and c) pulled up at the last second when kamikaze Shaddy showed up, who probably ignored his call.

7 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Looking at that archive... we've beaten Arky a fuckton of times in the CWS. That makes me happy. 

That 2004 CWS game we had with them was glorious. Just kicked the shit out of em. Then the next year we had to come back through the losers bracket in our own regional and yet again beat the fuck out of them. 

Hopefully we get a 2 game series or whatever against them next year and just pound their ass like we're supposed to

The Big XII seems top heavy all of the sudden.  2 teams in the top 7, and then nuthin.

Just an aberration, or will the TCU/ Baylor/ OU contingent bounce back?

I did not include OSU because they did pretty damned well. 

Edited by slorch

Some people are questioning Holliday after the meltdown this season, but I'm still on board with him. It would be nice to see recruiting pick up a bit, but I honestly don't keep up with it enough to know whether or not we're just losing guys to the draft or what. Hopefully the new stadium will help on that front as well.

1 hour ago, Okie State said:

Some people are questioning Holliday after the meltdown this season, but I'm still on board with him. It would be nice to see recruiting pick up a bit, but I honestly don't keep up with it enough to know whether or not we're just losing guys to the draft or what. Hopefully the new stadium will help on that front as well.

It was more of a regression to the mean than a meltdown.

It was more of a regression to the mean than a meltdown.

Exactly. Overall I think we over achieved this season given our pitchers being broken and losing some key recruits to the draft. Hell we made it to the regional final as the 3 seed.

My expectation on recruiting is that it’ll pick up a bit when the new stadium is ready. Keep making the tournament and establish a new identity, our monster success in the 80s all came before the current crop of players were even born.

Baseball is such a finicky sport. I loved playing with it during my masters in predictive analytics, it’s perfectly suited to it given the linearity of events...one pitch, one batter outcome, one fielding outcome. The ease of gathering statistics on singular events really points out how probabilities are just that...probabilities generates over a history that provide no guarantees in one distinct outcome.

Compare grading a designated hitter to a left tackle using math...very different. It also means randomness reigns where you have a strong run of good or terrible outcomes that still fit into the distribution of outcomes generated over time.

It’s part of what makes it fun and maddening at the same time, Arkansas.
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, BamaSucks said:

Fucking Razorbacks had it won and then just melted. Sad.

Just like for my parents, one error ruined their whole lives...

BA has an early top 16 for next year in the form of predicted omaha and super regional losers for next year 2019:(TT to Omaha and Baylor to super regionals from Big XII)

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/eight-for-omaha-in-2019/

Also:

BA's Unsigned BA 500 Players Headed To College:

The guys going to Texas:

220 Bryce Reagan, SS

Texas

239 Ty Madden, RHP Texas
357 Jack Neely, RHP

Texas

Mason Bryant, RHP Texas
487 Coy Cobb, RHP Texas

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/unsigned-2018-ba-500-players-headed-to-college/

3 hours ago, zork said:

BA has an early top 16 for next year in the form of predicted omaha and super regional losers for next year 2019:(TT to Omaha and Baylor to super regionals from Big XII)

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/eight-for-omaha-in-2019/

Also:

BA's Unsigned BA 500 Players Headed To College:

The guys going to Texas:

220 Bryce Reagan, SS

Texas

239 Ty Madden, RHP Texas
357 Jack Neely, RHP

Texas

Mason Bryant, RHP Texas
487 Coy Cobb, RHP Texas

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/unsigned-2018-ba-500-players-headed-to-college/

For having a new HC, I'll take being mentioned in the top 16 for now.. 

MSU has 4 guys in the top 500 including 2 in the top 39. As of now #9 Carter Stewart is leaning towards juco for a year instead of coming to State for 3. But not firm yet...Might help if we ever hire a pitching coach...

But #39 Ginn is starting summer classes this week so he's in.

Other 2 never were worried about. 

• 1 month later...

Amazing coach.  20 years ago, it was absurd to think that a NorPac (Pac-10 North) school would ever even make it to Omaha.  

I phone interviewed him in 2007 (?) for a season preview I did for a website.  I had him booked for 30 minutes, and then another coach for the next half hour.  None of these interviews ever actually took 30 minutes because the coaches are trying to get in and get out ASAP.  

After 30 minutes with Casey, my call-waiting started to buzz, and he was still going strong.  I thought about trying to cut him off, but I figured there was no way I could pick up the other call in time.  I spent nearly an hour and a half on the phone with him, most of it just talking random stuff about college baseball.  We literally spent 20 minutes with him asking me about all the times I had gone to Omaha.  

OSU has announced that an assistant will be the interim coach for 2019, and then they'll do a national search.  A big part of me thinks Casey will come back after taking a year off.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Amazing coach.  20 years ago, it was absurd to think that a NorPac (Pac-10 North) school would ever even make it to Omaha.  

I phone interviewed him in 2007 (?) for a season preview I did for a website.  I had him booked for 30 minutes, and then another coach for the next half hour.  None of these interviews ever actually took 30 minutes because the coaches are trying to get in and get out ASAP.  

After 30 minutes with Casey, my call-waiting started to buzz, and he was still going strong.  I thought about trying to cut him off, but I figured there was no way I could pick up the other call in time.  I spent nearly an hour and a half on the phone with him, most of it just talking random stuff about college baseball.  We literally spent 20 minutes with him asking me about all the times I had gone to Omaha.  

OSU has announced that an assistant will be the interim coach for 2019, and then they'll do a national search.  A big part of me thinks Casey will come back after taking a year off.

It’s crazy to think we were interviewing him to replace Augie. I take it he just wants to go out on top rather than still coach for another 6-7 years.