USA World Cup Match 1: Wales

Captain Ron

40 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm sure you mean besides the world class assist for the only goal of the match. 

Yes because it is great to have an amazing putt but you can't just 3 putt the rest of the round. Now that might not be a good analogy because he played better than the analogy but in these tournaments when the chance presents itself you have make the opponent pay EVERY TIME.

i have never seen a team in such desperate need of a solid 9 in the middle.  we had a lot of decent service to the middle of the box with dominant possession and easy stuff on the outside.  not once...on a single cross or a single corner did we have anything remotely resembling a threat in there.  all of our guys in there are flimsy speed guys.  they aren't going to win any balls in there.

if it ain't a counter, we ain't scoring. 

also, i have never seen a player who loves to play a back pass as much as adams.

Not a great omen when wales picks up their game, and we cannot match. 

I do think that the ref’s yellow distribution affected how the teams played. We had 2 very early and another later that had to be careful, while they were only given one and could be more aggressive even though they deserved a couple more. 

9 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I mean, it’s not inconceivable that we draw England or that Iran loses to these clowns. There’s a pretty decent chance that it’s England 6,  Wales 2, US and Iran 1 with us just needing to beat Iran to advance. 
Pretty shitty 2nd half and even though we were better in the 1st we weren’t near dangerous enough. 
Also, Holy Shit the set pieces were ass. My goodness. US used to eat there wth happened?  

Youts Did You Say Youts GIF - Youts Did You Say Youts My Cousin Vinny -  Discover & Share GIFs

Youth

I don't think Iran is as bad as they looked today. They could bounce back and draw or beat Wales on Friday. That is what we are hoping for. Especially if we can draw England on Friday then England will need to stomp on Wales throat to ensure the top spot in the group. 

After Friday if it is 

England 4

Wales 2

USA 2

Iran 1

Or England 4

Iran 3

USA 2

Wales 1 

Or

England 4

Wales 4

USA 2

Or even 

England 6

Iran 3

Wales 1

USA 1

We are in good shape with a win over IRAN 

If it is

England 6 

Wales 4

USA 1

We are in trouble. 

Bold is our best case because then its beat Iran and we are through no questions asked. 

Edited by Juicy

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I do think that the ref’s yellow distribution affected how the teams played. We had 2 very early and another later that had to be careful, while they were only given one and could be more aggressive even though they deserved a couple more. 

We attacked in the first half. Sat back in the second. Why? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The odd and uneven stoppages didn't help either.

1 minute ago, Juicy said:

I don't think Iran is as bad as they looked today. They could bounce back and draw or beat Wales on Friday. That is what we are hoping for. Especially if we can draw England on Friday then England will need to stomp on Wales throat to ensure the top spot in the group. 

After Friday if it is 

England 4

Wales 2

USA 2

Iran 1

Or England 4

Iran 3

USA 2

Wales 1 

Or

England 4

Wales 4

USA 2

Or even 

England 6

Iran 3

Wales 1

USA 1

We are in good shape with a win over IRAN 

If it is England 6 

Wales 4

USA 1

We are in trouble. 

Bold is our best case because then it’s beat Iran and we are through no questions asked. 

now do:

USA 4

Wales 4

England 3

Iran 0

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 2

My wife hates watching soccer because of the flopping and stoppages. Today watching the wales players just flop down when no one was within 20 feet of them and flop around to get a stoppage made me see why. 

You would think in the showcase to the whole world FIFA would want to do something about that to make the game watchable for casual fans. 

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Bale and Mepham both got yellows late 1st half.  Dest's was a little iffy but the rest of ours were well deserved.

The ref let things get a little hully gully late but was mostly fine.

• Hook 'Em 1

So to be clear, everyone in here is upset that the 16th ranked team in FIFA tied the 19th ranked team? Sounds about right.

Just now, Captain Ron said:

Yeah. He’s ok on them, but not our best. He would be a better target for the corner taker. 

No he's actually pretty bad at them.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, sidis said:

i have never seen a team in such desperate need of a solid 9 in the middle.  we had a lot of decent service to the middle of the box with dominant possession and easy stuff on the outside.  not once...on a single cross or a single corner did we have anything remotely resembling a threat in there.  all of our guys in there are flimsy speed guys.  they aren't going to win any balls in there.

if it ain't a counter, we ain't scoring. 

also, i have never seen a player who loves to play a back pass as much as adams.

Our talent is distributed really unfortunately. On the wings and in the midfield we are as good as almost anyone in the world. At the 9, CB, and as soon as you get past our starting FBs we are a mess. 

Gregg could have done a better job today and could do a better job with these guys in general but our player pool at some very important positions is just not very good and any manager would struggle to scheme around it. 

What Gregg doesn't do well is turn our talent advantages into goals - because even without a good 9 we should still be scoring more and putting more balls on frame than we are. That's his biggest failing to me.

Having guys like Yedlin and Zimmerman out there fucking blows but it isn't like they're playing ahead of TAA and Van Dijk. 

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Our talent is distributed really unfortunately. On the wings and in the midfield we are as good as almost anyone in the world. At the 9, CB, and as soon as you get past our starting FBs we are a mess. 

Gregg could have done a better job today and could do a better job with these guys in general but our player pool at some very important positions is just not very good and any manager would struggle to scheme around it. 

What Gregg doesn't do well is turn our talent advantages into goals - because even without a good 9 we should still be scoring more and putting more balls on frame than we are. That's his biggest failing to me.

Having guys like Yedlin and Zimmerman out there fucking blows but it isn't like they're playing ahead of TAA and Van Dijk. 

i say we tell erling that if he renounces norway and becomes an american citizen, we will arrange for him to finally fuck maria guardiola.

For all moaning about CP taking set pieces, who else should do it? No one in that starting 11 takes set pieces for club. No. One.

Yes, CP sucks at set pieces but unfortunately, he's probably our best option until Reyna, Aaronson, or Acosta come on. Why he continues to take them after Aaronson and Acosta subbed on, I present you one GGG and his infinite wisdom.

Most likely.... We lose to England, Wales beats Iran and loses to England. Then we just have to go out and curb stomp Iran and hope our goal diff is good enough.

Not dead yet.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Juicy said:

My wife hates watching soccer because of the flopping and stoppages. Today watching the wales players just flop down when no one was within 20 feet of them and flop around to get a stoppage made me see why. 

You would think in the showcase to the whole world FIFA would want to do something about that to make the game watchable for casual fans. 

Football is notorious for limited stoppages

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, MoJames said:

So to be clear, everyone in here is upset that the 16th ranked team in FIFA tied the 19th ranked team? Sounds about right.

No he's actually pretty bad at them.

The team is too talented to look that sloppy in the second half. Played off their back foot and looked completely out of gas. Came out of the locker room with no plan and adjusted too late. US needed a win to make it more likely they get out of group. We’re going to lose to England and pray to get through on goal differential? That game was winnable and people have a right to be disappointed 

• Hook 'Em 4

No it isn't,  even if England rests some dudes they'll have subs that'll look to shine. I bet they beat both teams.
Wales could absolutely lose to Iran. And so could we. 

No. Wales will know how many points they need to advance. They also have a huge chip on their shoulders dating from the dark ages against anything English. England will be through and content.

Even if they lose, we're playing the goal differential game then. Our back line vs Wales. Who do you have? Gareth Bale vs Sargent/Jesus/whomever..who do you have? It's bleak.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Juicy said:

I'm not a soccer aficionado, but it look to me like both teams were doing this (flopping/faking injuries) at times.  Getting that out of the game would indeed make it more watchable, but just barely.

Edited by cabowabo

24 minutes ago, Juicy said:

Send her shopping and order beer. Make sure she has a card you don't care about.

Casual fans watch the olympics. The World Cup is something fans wait for for years. 

• Hook 'Em 3

21 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

Stop. Wales isn't going to lose to Iran. If we don't get a point on Friday that Iran game is academic.

No it is not since it could be like the second team on offense in overtime. We will know exactly how many goals we need since at that point we can assume Wales has to lose.

5 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

No. Wales will know how many points they need to advance. They also have a huge chip on their shoulders dating from the dark ages against anything English. England will be through and content.

Even if they lose, we're playing the goal differential game then. Our back line vs Wales. Who do you have? Gareth Bale vs Sargent/Jesus/whomever..who do you have? It's bleak.

Yeah, I'd put it over 50% we both finish on 4 and Wales goes through on GD.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Juicy said:

I think the game is doing OK

1 minute ago, SimonBolivar said:

Well in good news our midfield and WB talent looked legit today and should be prime for 2026 with a new coach. 100% an Aggie way to look at it, but it's true. 

Yeah but our next manager will also be a shitty mls retread

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

The team is too talented to look that sloppy in the second half. Played off their back foot and looked completely out of gas. Came out of the locker room with no plan and adjusted too late. US needed a win to make it more likely they get out of group. We’re going to lose to England and pray to get through on goal differential? That game was winnable and people have a right to be disappointed 

Certainly people can be disappointed. We had them on the back foot for 45 and took the lead. Wales is a good team that put pressure on us and could've had a goal on a couple set pieces but our GK did his job. That being said, taking 1 point from Wales is a great start. The team is talented, but young as fuck and rarely plays together. Keep it close with England and beat Iran and the USA team has done exactly what should be expected. 

• Haha 1