RGIII Uses Racial Slur Live On Air

Vic Mackey

Horse crap. The word is in his vocabulary.  It's like trying to defend someone who drops the N bomb.  They might not meant to have said it, but it's in their vocabulary...
Agreed. Yes, the context doesn't make sense. I think everyone agrees with that. But I've seen white people who make this same argument if they dropped the N word or some other slur. They said it slipped. Ok, but the fact it slipped means it's regularly used in your vocabulary. That's how your slip happens.

It's the same thing as if someone typed a slur and they claim it was auto correct or something. That night be but then that raises as to why your phone or computer did that. Means you regularly use it enough.

Either way, he used it on live tv and already made an apology and it's all over the place now.
  • Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, 'stache said:

He's terrible. I remember tuning into a game and thinking "man this guy sucks." Didn't know it was him until halftime. Trying to be some cool mix of Joe Buck and Gus Johnson but just being terrible. I don't think he gets fired for this though, cry all you want, but it's different when black people say certain things, for very legitimate historical reasons that aren't worth hashing out here.

He’s egregiously bad.

”That was a move Worthy of praise”, in regards to an Xavier Worthy play. 

just awful.

What a monumental brain cramp.  I highly doubt that the j-word is part of RG3's vocabulary (it's 2022), but clearly he knows the term and it is filed away somewhere in his brain.  I completely buy his "bugaboo" explanation.  It's not exactly the correct usage, but it's not the worst malapropism you'll hear on an NFL broadcast.

This will be a nothing burger.

• Hook 'Em 2

I remember a game a few weeks ago they were talking about Renaldo "Skeets" Nehemia and RG3 had to make a comment about the nickname and whether it meant the same thing in the 80s as it does now.  

Now I'm not the most refined guy but even I know making jokes about slang terms for ejaculate on a national broadcast might not be a good idea.

Tldr- RG3 seems to speak before he thinks a lot of the time.

31 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

Horse crap. The word is in his vocabulary.  It's like trying to defend someone who drops the N bomb.  They might not meant to have said it, but it's in their vocabulary...

Please explain how the word makes any sense at all in the context of the sentence in which it was used.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TrashMaster G said:

Please explain how the word makes any sense at all in the context of the sentence in which it was used.

So context is more important than the word itself? He said the word. It slipped, if that's true, he regularly uses it enough for it to slip. It's like saying the N word slipped but since the context doesn;t make any sense, it's fine.

Will anything happen to him? Doubtful. And I don't even care about that aspect. I just thought it was funny he actually used this word on live tv lol. Pretty ridiculous for various reasons. 

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

RGIII with some throwback bigotry! Sucks for RGIII as I dont think thats what he meant to say, but if it gets him off the air, we'll call it progress and move on. He sucks. Also I guess recognizing that term is further validation I'm an old. 

I'm old and it was a bad term rarely used when I was a kid.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

So context is more important than the word itself? He said the word. It slipped, if that's true, he regularly uses it enough for it to slip.

I do not buy this logic at all.  We are talking about two similar sounding words.  The human brain is a weird thing, even weirder when put under the pressure of talking on live TV.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cactusflinthead said:

Oh yeah I have heard it. Does anyone else remember this scene?

that is the first shit I thought of

this is the scene when a friend of mine and I looked at each other and got up and walked out of the theater

it was "half price Thursday" at the dollar theater and we both felt we had been fucking ripped off

we made sure to choose movies more carefully after that when we were bored as shit

what a horribly shitty movie even for a spike lee "jam"

4 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

So context is more important than the word itself? He said the word. It slipped, if that's true, he regularly uses it enough for it to slip. It's like saying the N word slipped but since the context doesn;t make any sense, it's fine.

Will anything happen to him? Doubtful. And I don't even care about that aspect. I just thought it was funny he actually used this word on live tv lol. Pretty ridiculous for various reasons. 

1 - I'm not arguing that he is blameless.  Nor am I arguing the opposite.  I'm just saying that I believe him that it was inadvertent because the word makes no sense in the way he used it.

2 - I don't buy your assumption that he regularly uses because it slipped.  That's not how the brain works. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

People sometimes use the N word when not referring to Black people.  Its a derisive slang term.

The way he used it he would not be referring to Black people, but he would be insulting them.  Its in his vocabulary as an insult.

3 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

I do not buy this logic at all.  We are talking about two similar sounding words.  The human brain is a weird thing, even weirder when put under the pressure of talking on live TV.

Bug vs jig. I have never said jig in place of bug. If he said 'Jugaboo' then maybe. But bug and jig don't sound that much alike to have one slip for the other. This word is in his vocabulary. Bug A Boo is also a word no one uses. I don't really buy his reasoning.

But either way, he said the word on live tv. 

There's no way he meant it as stated, it would make no sense at all.

I don't know anything about smash hits by Destiny's Child, but his intent doesn't seem far off the actual definition of bugaboo which means: an imaginary object of fear, or something that causes fear or distress out of proportion to its actual importance.  And that's not far off from scolding the haters and the doubters for making mountains out of molehills.

It would still be an odd way to use the term bugaboo, targeted at the people levying the criticisms rather than the criticisms themselves,  but it's not crazily outside of the realm of possibility. 

Oh and regarding the j-word itself, I was born and raised in Austin, growing up in the 70s and 80s, and occasionally heard it used as derogatory slang.  Not from immediate family or friends, so it must have been peers at school.

Anyway, I don't think it was intentional and it doesn't bother me, but I'm also a white male, and have never felt the sting of that kind of racism.  

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Lulz, wtf? No he's not!

Gimme ‘Things professional sports commentators are supposed to do’ for $100.

maybe I was giving him too much benefit of the doubt.

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, Not a cat said:

I remember a game a few weeks ago they were talking about Renaldo "Skeets" Nehemia and RG3 had to make a comment about the nickname and whether it meant the same thing in the 80s as it does now.  

Now I'm not the most refined guy but even I know making jokes about slang terms for ejaculate on a national broadcast might not be a good idea.

Tldr- RG3 seems to speak before he thinks a lot of the time.

What?? That's what it means for real?

Crap I've lived a sheltered 66 years....damn.

Well now that I think about it, I guess I should be offended. RGIII was definitely talking about me because I didn't think Hurts would be a very successful NFL qb. I figured he would hang around the NFL 5 or 6 years as a backup and make a good living for himself. Happy to see him succeed even if he was a gooner for a year. Unlike Baker Mayfield, I can root for Hurts as a former TX HS star.

1 minute ago, Tex Pete said:

I have heard the term used a fair amount over the years, but almost always by a black guy referring to another black guy or group of black guys in a disparaging manner.

I think we should all have more mercy on people for misspeaking or even saying something offensive without meaning to offend. Society would be better off if we weren't all trying to "gotcha" each other all the 

I've been aware of the word for years, but the only time I remember someone use it was in 1983, my freshman year in college. I lived in a dorm that year and there was these 2 guys from Houston that looked like aggy corps cadets. These guys were straight up hard core racists. I found out after a while everyone referred to them as "The Nazis". Last I heard they both dropped out and became HPD officers. Really surprised I haven't heard about these guys being involved in a George Floyd type situation. Real pieces of shit. 

15 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

To be fair, Booger always has that look on his face.

I think that's steve young on his right, and he always has that expression on his face as well. Freeze it at the beginning and they are both making the exact same face. I think its fuckin funny and we should be more like George Carlin. Pussies