RGIII Uses Racial Slur Live On Air

Vic Mackey

When I was a kid we knew the word in the neighborhood but none of us knew it had any racist meaning. I think one kid heard it in a movie, started calling us that, and it's a funny sounding word so we just called each other jiggaboos for fun. Never knew it was racist until I heard it in a movie in that context in my 20s or late teens. 

But that's a weird word to just randomly say. And bugaboo has always meant a mistake but like with stuff like "cap" the black community might have taken it and adopted it into their own language. I have no idea and don't really care, but for purposes of things like tv and media if one person would get fired for saying it everyone should get fired for saying it. 

2 hours ago, Homercles said:

His first wife had great tits.  That’s always occupied the priority 1 slot in my brain when I think about RGIII.  

You have 5000 posts, but don't know Rule #1 of Surly?

3 hours ago, bullet said:

When has that mattered to cancel culture?

Oh, shut the fuck up

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, Helobious said:

I guess I just dreamt Kanye losing all those endorsements then…

Big difference. I don't recall Ye using a derogatory term about his own race. Doubt very seriously if he would have lost all those endorsements if he just used the J word. I guess he got in pretty big trouble for the White Lives Matter t-shirt though.

Dammit RGIII! You brought back a word most people either haven't heard in years or never heard at all.

I kind of like him too. He generally means well and just tries too hard sometimes with his commentary, which is driven by the incentive structure to stand out in that profession. His line after Roschon hurdled the defender on the way to the end zone in the Baylor game as a “Johnson on Johnson crime” was a good one. 

That sounded like a cock fight.

12 hours ago, Darth Tron said:

Totally thought I was going to hear something else when I pressed play.

And by a, um, certain important Surly member. Damn you, again, reading comprehension!!

Also, it's very amusing seeing posters want him gone that argued with me how awesome it was for him to be an announcer for one of our games instead of Sam Acho. 

8 hours ago, gmr548 said:

There’s a really interesting generational/cultural split on display here.

I definitely heard it growing up, but never as a way to disparage blacks as a group.  I'm not quite sure when I even discovered it was a racial slur.  It was used pretty much exactly like RG3 used it.  Disparaging someone who was a trash-talker, showy, or flamboyant in some other manner.

15 hours ago, C-Man said:

Don was fired after calling the Rutgers women's basketball team "nappy-headed hoes."

And seconds later said their game was “the Jiga___s vs. the Wannabes” referring to the Spike Lee movie. I’ve always been surprised people don’t remember that, I though it was way worse.

Edited by 'stache

11 hours ago, Hermanator said:

When I was a kid we knew the word in the neighborhood but none of us knew it had any racist meaning. I think one kid heard it in a movie, started calling us that, and it's a funny sounding word so we just called each other jiggaboos for fun. Never knew it was racist until I heard it in a movie in that context in my 20s or late teens. 

But that's a weird word to just randomly say. And bugaboo has always meant a mistake but like with stuff like "cap" the black community might have taken it and adopted it into their own language. I have no idea and don't really care, but for purposes of things like tv and media if one person would get fired for saying it everyone should get fired for saying it. 

I went to high school in the mean streets of a poor Tulsa suburb, so I think I’ve heard them all, and I think most people knew what they meant. The only one I learned later in life was the racist term for Brazilian nuts, but I think only really old people used that one. There are also stories like this where the kids don’t know but the grown ups do and never correct it, because they are okay with it or indifferent. 

59 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

This thread is funny to read. There is zero public pressure for Griffin to lose his job but you have the typical whiners in here complaining about cancel culture for no reason whatsoever. Well, I guess there's a reason but it's just that they're scared of their shadows because they've been told to be. CANCEL CULTURE IS EVERYWHERE SOMEBODY HOLD ME

They learned a popular new catchphrase and they’re eager to use it in a sentence. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

This thread is funny to read. There is zero public pressure for Griffin to lose his job but you have the typical whiners in here complaining about cancel culture for no reason whatsoever. Well, I guess there's a reason but it's just that they're scared of their shadows because they've been told to be. CANCEL CULTURE IS EVERYWHERE SOMEBODY HOLD ME

I think they’re just mad because it looks like he’s allowed to say it but they’re not.
  • Hook 'Em 2