Kenneth Green

Kentavious Wright

Dominique Jones

Bob Barker

Bob Newhart

Mel Brooks

Rita Moreno

On the clock possibly.

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/35365318/martina-navratilova-diagnosed-two-forms-cancer

NEW YORK -- Tennis great Martina Navratilova said Monday that she has been diagnosed with throat cancer and breast cancer.

In a statement released by her representative, the 18-time Grand Slam singles champion and member of the International Tennis Hall of Fame said her prognosis is good and she will start treatment this month.

"This double whammy is serious but still fixable, and I'm hoping for a favorable outcome," said Navratilova, 66. "It's going to stink for a while but I'll fight with all I have got."

She said she noticed an enlarged lymph node in her neck while attending the season-ending WTA finals in Fort Worth, Texas, in November, and a biopsy showed early-stage throat cancer. While Navratilova was undergoing tests on her throat, she said, the unrelated breast cancer was discovered.

Navratilova was diagnosed with a noninvasive form of breast cancer in 2010 and had a lumpectomy.

She won 59 Grand Slam titles overall, including 31 in women's doubles and 10 in mixed doubles. The last was a mixed doubles championship with Bob Bryan at the 2006 US Open, a month shy of her 50th birthday.

Navratilova originally retired in 1994, after a record 167 singles titles and 331 weeks at No. 1 in the WTA rankings. She returned to the tour to play doubles in 2000 and occasionally competed in singles, too.

Navratilova was inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame in 2000. She has worked as a TV analyst in recent years.

The statement issued Monday said Navratilova would not be a regular part of Tennis Channel's coverage of the Australian Open later this month "but hopes to be able to join in from time to time" via video conference.

35 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

Would have been a far more impressive pick had you not waited till the day they announced her cancer diagnosis.

Yeah, no shit. I'm not sure that we had an official entry deadline, but picking someone January 2nd after a publicized cancer diagnosis on January 1st seems to be pushing the boundaries... 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Haha 1

Damn

Pro rally driver Ken Block dies in snowmobile accident

Pro rally driver Ken Block died in a snowmobile accident in Utah Monday.

The Wasatch County Sheriff's Office said it received a call about an accident in the Mill Hollow area at about 2 p.m. local time.

"The driver, Kenneth Block, [a] 55-year-old male out of Park City, Utah, was riding a snowmobile on a steep slope when the snowmobile upended, landing on top of him. He was pronounced deceased at the scene from injuries sustained in the accident," the sheriff's office said in a statement posted to Facebook.

"Ken was a visionary, a pioneer and an icon. And most importantly, a father and husband. He will be incredibly missed," Hoonigan Industries, the auto media and apparel company Block co-founded, wrote on Instagram.

Block has 1.92 million followers on YouTube and his Gymkhana videos -- car-driving stunt videos -- regularly have 50 million views. He was also regularly a competitor at ESPN's X Games when they sporadically included rally racing.

12 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Yeah, no shit. I'm not sure that we had an official entry deadline, but picking someone January 2nd after a publicized cancer diagnosis on January 1st seems to be pushing the boundaries... 

Maybe there should be a long game version of this...   Each year people are picked that they live beyond that counts in some way too.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Macanudo said:

Maybe there should be a long game version of this...   Each year people are picked that they live beyond that counts in some way too.

Hmm - not certain I'm following how that would work, but the way I imagine it, it sounds like a lot of potentially challenging and very long-term record keeping. What if Takeshi 6x9 or whatever the fuck that kid is called ends up living until he's 80?

I think a better wrinkle would be to have a confidence point multiplier - your first pick gets just straight points, but second gets 2x, third gets 3x, etc., with a 10x multiplier for your tenth pick. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Hmm - not certain I'm following how that would work, but the way I imagine it, it sounds like a lot of potentially challenging and very long-term record keeping. What if Takeshi 6x9 or whatever the fuck that kid is called ends up living until he's 80?

I think a better wrinkle would be to have a confidence point multiplier - your first pick gets just straight points, but second gets 2x, third gets 3x, etc., with a 10x multiplier for your tenth pick. 

I think some of y'all are taking this a little too seriously. I'm kind of hoping that I'm wrong because it would be a little scary to get it right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

More details on Jeremy Renner. It was a snowcat that he owned. Blade looked about 12-14 feet wide so it wasn't a small machine.

Jeremy Renner's snowcat plow ran over his leg as he tried to clear path out  of Lake Tahoe home | Daily Mail Online

He was using it to tow a vehicle that got stuck. When he stopped and unhooked the vehicle, the snowcat started rolling downhill. Renner (thinking all that Avengers shit is real) jumps on the moving track trying to get back in the cab. Instead he gets run over. Snow was so bad it took EMS and hour to get there.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, RPM said:

More details on Jeremy Renner. It was a snowcat that he owned. Blade looked about 12-14 feet wide so it wasn't a small machine.

Jeremy Renner's snowcat plow ran over his leg as he tried to clear path out  of Lake Tahoe home | Daily Mail Online

He was using it to tow a vehicle that got stuck. When he stopped and unhooked the vehicle, the snowcat started rolling downhill. Renner (thinking all that Avengers shit is real) jumps on the moving track trying to get back in the cab. Instead he gets run over. Snow was so bad it took EMS and hour to get there.

There's a line we all come to at some point and that line is "Do I do this chore myself, because I'm a fucking man" or "Fuck this, I can afford to pay someone to do this chore for me". I feel like Mr. Renner is way beyond that line. If I were in his shoes, I'd be staring out the window at the snow saying, "I'd hate to be the asshole plowing this shit". Or better yet, I'd never see snow because I'd be in a tropical climate 24/7.

• Like 1

There's a line we all come to at some point and that line is "Do I do this chore myself, because I'm a fucking man" or "Fuck this, I can afford to pay someone to do this chore for me". I feel like Mr. Renner is way beyond that line. If I were in his shoes, I'd be staring out the window at the snow saying, "I'd hate to be the asshole plowing this shit". Or better yet, I'd never see snow because I'd be in a tropical climate 24/7.

Snowblowing yea.
But that machine looks sweet to use, and you don’t get the snow blown back to your face and down your back inside the cabin.

With ya on the tropical climate vibe
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Shit, wondered why a suicide at 72, but here you go:

Kate Corley, his daughter, confirmed her father’s death in a statement to CNN affiliate WFAA-TV. 

“Buster Corley had a stroke four months ago that caused severe damage to the communication and personality part of his brain,” she said. “The family asks for privacy during this time.”

Cool how it started:

Before the first Dave & Buster’s opened in Dallas in 1982, Corley, owned a restaurant with “tasty food and friendly service” in the late 1970s. Nearby, David Corriveau operated an “outrageous place for entertainment and games,” according to the company’s website.

After noticing that customers would frequent both places, the entrepreneurs teamed up to create the first Dave & Buster’s in Dallas, combining arcade games and food.

• Hook 'Em 2