We have a Dog Issue ("YES, we WILL talk about Bruno")

ROFL BOX

4 hours ago, scottsins said:

ROFLBOX has a friend that’s a kickass handyman, named Marshall.  Marshall is also a Fucking legit dog whisperer.  Amazing with training.

if you are lurking this thread, I hope you have tried to get Marshall involved.  He’s the perfect answer, IMO.

4 hours ago, DaysOff said:

Nobody gives a shit about the dog anymore.

You say that but @scottsins got my childhood friends dog off of death row pro bono and let her live out the rest of her days a free dog. He is a goddamn saint.  Everyone should care about the dogs like he does.

Waffle box is gone so no need to worry about his ass anymore.

Edited by HOOKEM4
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I'm not judging whether he's good or bad, but I've had 40 years experience with construction people, and, it's been my experience that "good" ones go bad every 5-10 years or so.  If you get a REALLY good sub, chances are, at some point something shitty will happen.
Not my experience per se. I've have guys with me for 20 plus years that i consider to be friends, some choose a path of exclusivity, or a niche market, or get so high priced it doesn't make sense for me to hire them, some get into production level shit with less discriminating clients and that's not a fit. Some get too busy. Many are loyal and I'm loyal in return and it's beautiful.

The biggest factor in subs going shitty is drugs and alcohol and Mental health issues. I Have had that shit sour relationships quite a lot. Typically not a lot you can do. Irrc; Rox was basically a teetotaller so I'm not assuming it's booze or drugs, and its not my place to judge. It IS my place to hire solid people, and that does evolve as alluded to, sometimes. It's too bad, buy not much you can do but move on.
I posted this on TOS years ago, but we had him do our roof and he ghosted us before completing the job and cost us a couple grand to fix his fuckups. He also took way longer than promised and was an overall shitty vendor. I got a lawyer buddy involved to get him to take care of his shit, but never actually sued.
[mention=1009]ROFL BOX[/mention] is a real piece of shit.
Figured.

ROFLBOX has a friend that’s a kickass handyman, named Marshall.  Marshall is also a Fucking legit dog whisperer.  Amazing with training.
if you are lurking this thread, I hope you have tried to get Marshall involved.  He’s the perfect answer, IMO.

That's actually Truth. Marshall is an interesting cat, Burner as in Burning Man stuff so a bit eccentric, but super chill and amazing with Dogs. Also does SAR for missing animals as well as training. Really knows his stuff. Honest guy and oddly enough has superb locksmith training and never stole my shit either.

Pretty sure Rofl burned that bridge too last I heard.

Fuck, I'm building a house in the next few months. I get along with the builder and since so much planning has gone into the project, it should be straight forward. But, I have to say that your post makes me nervous because I get it. And when we are talking today's rate of $350K/sqft, shit could get real pretty quick.

Nail down your allowances asap, and really press for a formal change order structure and try not to make a lot of changes.

Most of the times I've gotten sideways was on allowances (thinking they'd want $1000 bath fixtures and they select 20k insane shit for a 3-2 in Crestview. Dm if you want a 10 min phone call to make sure you have a smooth process.

Track additional expenses as they happen and budget more for landscaping than you think. (And start planning and budgeting for that, plus furniture, blinds and all that shit.) Do you need an organizer, have you budgeting storing furniture and design choices, whose responsible for that?

I mostly do high end houses, so we already have budget and multiple teams planed for; design, storage, delivery and installation of shit I'm not normally dealing with like outdoor furniture and rugs, and the final move in shit. And organizing it all. That all adds up.
  • Hook 'Em 2

You say that but [mention=279]scottsins[/mention] got my childhood friends dog off of death row pro bono and let her live out the rest of her days a free dog. He is a goddamn saint.  Everyone should care about the dogs like he does.
Waffle box is gone so no need to worry about his ass anymore.
That's great hear regarding Scottsins!

We have an aggressive dog we've managed to keep alive for years incident free, excepting him biting the fiance and me, and let him live to his current ripe old age of 15 and now he's just a happy old mutt.
Never hurt my kid, whose now in HS. We were just careful and trained a lot.

10 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

Nail down your allowances asap, and really press for a formal change order structure and try not to make a lot of changes.

Most of the times I've gotten sideways was on allowances (thinking they'd want $1000 bath fixtures and they select 20k insane shit for a 3-2 in Crestview. Dm if you want a 10 min phone call to make sure you have a smooth process.

Track additional expenses as they happen and budget more for landscaping than you think
. (And start planning and budgeting for that, plus furniture, blinds and all that shit.) Do you need an organizer, have you budgeting storing furniture and design choices, whose responsible for that?

I mostly do high end houses, so we already have budget and multiple teams planed for; design, storage, delivery and installation of shit I'm not normally dealing with like outdoor furniture and rugs, and the final move in shit. And organizing it all. That all adds up.

Meh, when shit gets a little sideways, landscape is where cuts should be made.   You can always add landscape "next year", fucking windows and flooring need to be done NOW.  Same for hardscape.  

I've seen people build a million-dollar house (20 years ago, when that was a TON of money) and have tinfoil on their windows because they couldn't afford window treatments.  Meanwhile, they were paying Pablo to mow their fine lawn and trim their hedges.  

My background is mostly construction finance.   I can tell you about the Doctor's wife in La Canada that moved the same door 4 times from one side of the wall to the other.  That shit ain't free. Change orders are poison.  Bring an interior designer in at the planning stages, because your wife has shitty taste, and she's never looked at a set of drawings in her life. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

Track additional expenses as they happen and budget more for landscaping than you think. (And start planning and budgeting for that, plus furniture, blinds and all that shit.) Do you need an organizer, have you budgeting storing furniture and design choices, whose responsible for that?

What are your contracts looking like these days? Are you doing cost plus a percentage? What percent for 2023? This is for a vacation home in the mountains and while contracts vary wildly, I'm curious what makes sense. Personally, for an $800K home, I'm thinking around a flat $100K over cost. I've already put together most costs and the builder is putting it into a sworn construction statement and filling in the blanks. I've already done the site location permit and fire department signoff and obtained an address and the HOA architect has approved the building and I am waiting on overall preliminary approval from the HOA.

I don't anticipate any changes because it is SIP construction with the two main interior walls using SIPs as well. Since those walls can't be cut on-site we have to be pretty damn sure that we planned properly. I say we but I've done all the work and will get all the blame if there are mistakes. The plans are complete but may have some minor changes after the timber guy puts everything into CAD and the structural engineer reviews the timber plan. All materials have pretty much been chosen. I'll buy the sinks and lighting but that stuff is minor for us as I generally prefer recessed lighting and natural lighting. Countertops and backsplashes I think should wait until we can bring samples in. I'm trying to do custom cabinetry from Mexico instead of built-ins because of price. We will see how that goes. Luckily, the only built-in type cabinetry is on each side of the great room fireplace and in a nook upstairs.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

What are your contracts looking like these days? Are you doing cost plus a percentage? What percent for 2023? This is for a vacation home in the mountains and while contracts vary wildly, I'm curious what makes sense. Personally, for an $800K home, I'm thinking around a flat $100K over cost. I've already put together most costs and the builder is putting it into a sworn construction statement and filling in the blanks. I've already done the site location permit and fire department signoff and obtained an address and the HOA architect has approved the building and I am waiting on overall preliminary approval from the HOA.

I don't anticipate any changes because it is SIP construction with the two main interior walls using SIPs as well. Since those walls can't be cut on-site we have to be pretty damn sure that we planned properly. I say we but I've done all the work and will get all the blame if there are mistakes. The plans are complete but may have some minor changes after the timber guy puts everything into CAD and the structural engineer reviews the timber plan. All materials have pretty much been chosen. I'll buy the sinks and lighting but that stuff is minor for us as I generally prefer recessed lighting and natural lighting. Countertops and backsplashes I think should wait until we can bring samples in. I'm trying to do custom cabinetry from Mexico instead of built-ins because of price. We will see how that goes. Luckily, the only built-in type cabinetry is on each side of the great room fireplace and in a nook upstairs.

Have you ever met a Mexican?   We all know how that will go.

Meh, when shit gets a little sideways, landscape is where cuts should be made.   You can always add landscape "next year", fucking windows and flooring need to be done NOW.  Same for hardscape.  
I've seen people build a million-dollar house (20 years ago, when that was a TON of money) and have tinfoil on their windows because they couldn't afford window treatments.  Meanwhile, they were paying Pablo to mow their fine lawn and trim their hedges.  
My background is mostly construction finance.   I can tell you about the Doctor's wife in La Canada that moved the same door 4 times from one side of the wall to the other.  That shit ain't free. Change orders are poison.  Bring an interior designer in at the planning stages, because your wife has shitty taste, and she's never looked at a set of drawings in her life. 
Bring an interior designer in at the planning stages, because your wife has shitty taste, and she's never looked at a set of drawings in her life. 

Yes that would be my biggest suggestion. And build pinterst, Houzz pages, and build a collaborative page with all parties- builder, arc, designer owner and trades. As early as possible, then get things on contract and allowances tight or more importantly, accounted for.

You honestly sound like you have your shit together and will be fine.

I usually bill between 15% to 25% on residential depending on how much design I handle and other factors.
Builder's were getting 30% or more last year. I don't play that, I like working for good clients that value quality and respect people's time and are cool with working a brisk but honest pace. I thrive on repeat business.

1 hour ago, Ten Bears said:

What was the story about from the rodeo about roflbox bragging about getting free barbecue from Luke Duke's charity barbecue event?

I don't remember that, but I do remember him doing a good deed about getting a wheelchair donated (maybe from this site?) to someone who needed it, or something like that. Unless that was all fake, that seemed like a cool thing of him to do. Maybe he wasn't having an episode then and we all know nobody is all good or all bad, all the time.

3 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

I don't remember that, but I do remember him doing a good deed about getting a wheelchair donated (maybe from this site?) to someone who needed it, or something like that. Unless that was all fake, that seemed like a cool thing of him to do. Maybe he wasn't having an episode then and we all know nobody is all good or all bad, all the time.

Why do I feel like I know how this ended?

Seinfeld Season 4 Episode 22: "The Handicap Spot" Quotes - TV Fanatic

Recapping the Redskins Loss to Rams With Seinfeld Animated Gifs - Hogs Haven

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, scottsins said:

Yep, Marshall is great, used him for a couple of projects.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/21/2022 at 1:58 PM, ROFL BOX said:

We actually ARE "out in the country" & he won't be running free for at least 2 months.  The older Corgi's somewhat know their limitations (however they are short enough to scoot under the front gate out by the road).

There has been a little bit of progress with Bruno & I am sort of thinking the arguments between the dogs needs to settle between them.  Jailhouse fight to see who is the badass, etc. (assuming no actual blood loss happens).

Big Stan (2007) | MUBI

I will tell y'all this, he is crazy strong when leashed.  I'm doing my best here.

I would think Bruno would make short work of your corgis.  Is this a good idea?

On 12/26/2022 at 5:32 PM, pops said:

@nowthis-- can't believe how bad I fucked up on the surl

@ROFL BOX --hold my beer. 

What did nowthis do?

@ROFL BOX can you get a new handle and start a new post about Bruno?  I’m still curious.  Maybe change up some facts?  “I bought a one year old chihuahua named chulo and he’s beating. The fuck out of my corgis”

• Haha 3

On 12/20/2022 at 11:13 AM, freyguy said:

Dear God, why the hell do people inundate themselves with so many dogs? You fucked up, but you still have time to correct it. Open the back gate and set him free...then start working on the other 3 furry rats you have.

Substitute kids and that’s me.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

21 minutes ago, gernblansten said:

The hell you will! He's got a two-day head start on you, which is more than he needs. He's gone through toll booths in every town and village from El Paso to Texarkana. He speaks day laborer, knows every local scam. He'll blend in, disappear. You'll never see him again. With any luck, he's got all your roofing materials already.

Marcus Brody is no roofer

• Haha 1

I would somehow end up hanging out with ROFL every few ears. He even came to a crawfish boil of mine. Was always cool to me. Did some work for a friend and she too complained about his lack of communication. Told her to fire his ass and move on. 

Last I saw him was at John Muellers memorial. He gave me a ride home in a white dodge ram with serious transmission issues. He went on about various things people had called him out on seemingly to explain. I gave zero fucks because I was tired and half drunk.

I dont think he is a bad guy but just has absolutely no clue what he is doing.

Perhaps on the spectrum.

Who knows. 

Edited by MissingInAction
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

34 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Welcome back ROFLbox, you sly son of a bitch.  

It's almost like ROFLbox was BornToRun.  

Terrible jokes aside, how the fuck do you let a dude taking your truck slide?  

That isn't him. 

10 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Perhaps on the spectrum.

This is like 60% of Surly. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Actually, as far as technical expertise, I'm comfortable saying that the guy knows his shit (and for reference, I've worked as an "expert witness" on construction defect stuff). I'm not a roofing expert by any means, but the guy has discussed problems that I've seen discussed in depos, etc.  

Now, he wouldn't be the first construction guy to cut corners, borrow from Peter to pay Paul, generally suck at customer service, etc. 

And, without going Cloak Room, y'all in Texas are pretty loosey-goosey when it comes to contractor licensing and qualifications, are you not? 

• Hook 'Em 1

The hell you will! He's got a two-day head start on you, which is more than he needs. He's gone through toll booths in every town and village from El Paso to Texarkana. He speaks day laborer, knows every local scam. He'll blend in, disappear. You'll never see him again. With any luck, he's got all your roofing materials already.
Got lost on his own jobsite.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I would somehow end up hanging out with ROFL every few ears. He even came to a crawfish boil of mine. Was always cool to me. Did some work for a friend and she too complained about his lack of communication. Told her to fire his ass and move on. 
Last I saw him was at John Muellers memorial. He gave me a ride home in a white dodge ram with serious transmission issues. He went on about various things people had called him out on seemingly to explain. I gave zero fucks because I was tired and half drunk.
Perhaps on the spectrum.
Who knows. 

Yeah something like that, and it is always something.

Actually, as far as technical expertise, I'm comfortable saying that the guy knows his shit (and for reference, I've worked as an "expert witness" on construction defect stuff). I'm not a roofing expert by any means, but the guy has discussed problems that I've seen discussed in depos, etc.  
Now, he wouldn't be the first construction guy to cut corners, borrow from Peter to pay Paul, generally suck at customer service, etc. 
And, without going Cloak Room, y'all in Texas are pretty loosey-goosey when it comes to contractor licensing and qualifications, are you not? 

We talking liscences bro. Don't need no stinking badges.

I used to have one, the legislature phased them out. I'm third generation in the residential industry, my grandpa did cabinets. You wouldn't believe the amount of shit Builders we have here, anyone can be a builder. It's all up to inspectors. I suggest everyone hire a good third party inspector and engineer if outside a legit inspection area like Austin, and even then hire a good third party and verify the engineer is legit. I routinely collaborate with other contractors and I can see them budgeting getting sued on occasion to cut corners on the rest. Fuck that.

That said, plenty of great builders and subs all over Austin. Some real talent.

• Hook 'Em 1