the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

3 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Yep I still go to that Slaughter/Manchaca HEB because they have a spice blend that's awesome that isn't carried at my brand new HEB on south congress/slaughter.  And neither of them carry tamales of the caliber of my local Fiesta.  

heb, i love ya, but your tamales are trash. 

there, i feel good having typed it out. i love everything heb, but their tamales are a massive fail. 

mccarthy down for a third time. the feisty minority standing pretty strong at the moment.

do they continue supporting jordan, or do they shift to possible compromise?

oh wait, there is no compromise with these 19 crazy people. 

1 minute ago, Incredulity said:

Anyone know why this vote happens by roll call vs. electronic?  To inform who needs to be negotiated with?

Also, is there a point in time they go home for the day?

I've read in the past that if the third or fourth ballot doesn't do the trick in any given day, they usually adjourn for the day and try again tomorrow.  Presumably, this gives the candidates time to go whip votes or whatever.  Can't answer the first question. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, NameAlreadyInUse said:

I've read in the past that if the third or fourth ballot doesn't do the trick in any given day, they usually adjourn for the day and try again tomorrow.  Presumably, this gives the candidates time to go whip votes or whatever.  Can't answer the first question. 

or it's when the DTs and/or sundowning kick in. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

One random Dem should nominate Santos.

And give a 10 minute speech highlighting his many diverse achievements: fought in Normandy, invented the Space Shuttle, all time Jeopardy money list winner, etc... Just fuck with that dude

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

212-202-20 for the 3rd ballot. 

Whoops, now they're going back and getting people they missed, so it's still changing.  

I really want to see 1 or 2 of the 20 switch to Jeffries for the next vote just as a "warning gunshot into the air" just to see how much panic it causes.

Edited by Beau Vine

1 minute ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

GOP will try to sub in Herschel Walker. 

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

What can McCarthy offers Dems so they will help him over the finish line?  And why I don't think that the Dems should help the GOP from stepping on their own dicks right now, it never hurts to listen to offers. 

Nothing.

I wouldn't even entertain a single offer.  McCarthy doesn't do anything in good faith.  

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Anyone know why this vote happens by roll call vs. electronic?  To inform who needs to be negotiated with?

Arsonists don't go home right away.  They stay and watch what they burned to the ground for a little bit.  

It's what makes this kinda Speaker vote implosion so interesting.  We've all read stories about some all-nighter vote on a budget, or reconciliation, or defense bill.  But most of the members just go nap in their office or shower in the Capitol fitness center or go eat dinner while the speeches are going on.  They get a notice either on their phone or a staffer comes and tells them it's almost time and they click their vote real quick and go home.  Speaker votes have no time limit at all, this can go on for days.  They'll just go through the alphabet over and over again.  Now, they can choose to adjourn but I think they all wanna stay where they can see one another, who's talking with whom, etc.  

You might be an "I" and figure if the start with the "A's", that gives you time to go put your feet up or grab a drink.  But enough people ahead of you abstain, you may miss your vote as well.  They're locked in like a church youth group sleepover.  As we've posted before, this thing will be one on who votes present/who abstains/who was stuck in the bathroom/who has low blood sugar and goes to eat/etc.  218 is no longer the target.  And the target will keep changing each round.

The GOP Speaker Race will not be decided on an internal debate centrist pragmatism  or far right MAGA ideology.  It will be won by which candidate wrangles the abstain/present vote and fools enough people to pass out in their offices.  

12 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

heb, i love ya, but your tamales are trash. 

there, i feel good having typed it out. i love everything heb, but their tamales are a massive fail. 

mccarthy down for a third time. the feisty minority standing pretty strong at the moment.

do they continue supporting jordan, or do they shift to possible compromise?

oh wait, there is no compromise with these 19 crazy people. 

I have noticed a difference on the tamales in Sa vs Austin.

20 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

That’s interesting. In other words, they want Democrats to bail them out.

So if I’m a Democratic deal maker, I would go to McCarthy’s people and say that we can make 16 of our folks disappear, in return for a rules package that rolls back every single HFC concession and includes Democratic committee chairs on judiciary and Ways & Means, and no Hastert rule. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Gatorubet said:

Roy being interviewed. 

I was wondering why I just got so drowsy.  

Chip Roy, what ambien takes when ambien is having trouble sleeping.  

also, I'm hearing the surprise nominee that may throw a monkeywrench into a pile of monkeys fucking each other wrenches.  That new candidate?  You guess it.

Frank Stallone.

20 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

The board is Yeah, Nay, Present.  It’s not equipped for this type of vote.  The Members have a unique card they stick in a slot at locations on the floor and hit a button to record their vote. The totals are projected up on the wall above the gallery behind the lectern. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

That’s interesting. In other words, they want Democrats to bail them out.

So if I’m a Democratic deal maker, I would go to McCarthy’s people and say that we can make 16 of our folks disappear, in return for a rules package that rolls back every single HFC concession and includes Democratic committee chairs and no Hastert rule. 

That is a good idea.  McCarthy knows it can burn him down the path.  But at this point, he's not even at the trailhead yet.  It won't hurt him as bad as some of the other crummy options on the tatble.  "Listen, 16 of us just got a group table at Cheesecake Factory over on H Street.  I'm handing you our list of requests into your left coat pocket.  Be smart, Kev.  We can still get some shit done together."  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

And Fox News coverage just went to The Five and the first thing they're discussing is Damar Hamlin.  

Jesse Waters is praising the NFL's response and saying the players know the risks.

Gutfeld is now praising Skip Bayless and I have to turn this off.

• Rage+1 2

4 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

That is a good idea.  McCarthy knows it can burn him down the path.  But at this point, he's not even at the trailhead yet.  It won't hurt him as bad as some of the other crummy options on the tatble.  "Listen, 16 of us just got a group table at Cheesecake Factory over on H Street.  I'm handing you our list of requests into your left coat pocket.  Be smart, Kev.  We can still get some shit done together."  

What are they gonna do? Sign a contract then sue him if he doesn't follow through? There can be no deal because there's no way to enforce the terms of the deal. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

So is there even such a thing as a “moderate Republican “ anymore? Could the Dems and 5-10 centrist Republicans make a deal, nominate a regular Republican (if that’s a thing anymore) and blindside the lunatics? 

I’m sure this is wishful thinking.

2 minutes ago, Left Coast said:

So is there even such a thing as a “moderate Republican “ anymore? Could the Dems and 5-10 centrist Republicans make a deal, nominate a regular Republican (if that’s a thing anymore) and blindside the lunatics? 

I’m sure this is wishful thinking.

Someone like Brian Fitzpatrick if you want someone currently in the House. Don Bacon maybe. This timeline deserves a Speaker Bacon just for the name 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

So if I’m a Democratic deal maker, I would go to McCarthy’s people and say that we can make 16 of our folks disappear, in return for a rules package that rolls back every single HFC concession and includes Democratic committee chairs on judiciary and Ways & Means, and no Hastert rule. 

What?  McCarthy would become Speaker and reneg on the deal.  There is no honor among thieves.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

What are they gonna do? Sign a contract then sue him if he doesn't follow through? There can be no deal because there's no way to enforce the terms of the deal. 

True, but that's where the term "Gentlemen's Agreement" comes along.  Half the deals in D.C. don't ever make it to paper.  Yet the machine keeps turning, for better or worse.  Even if it's not enforceable in court, it's very powerful to show a signed copy of your requests from McCarthy signed by him.  You show that around to FoxNews and MAGA nation, it's curtains for McCarthy.  He's probably not dumb enough to agree in writing to anything, but he's backed into a corner now.  And people do dumb shit in the corner.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Stop suggesting a Democrats help McCarthy deal. It’s. Not. Going. To. Happen. 

The man is a known weakling and liar, the Dems will never help him. A coalition speaker will have to come from one of the remaining moderates or conservatives (like Tom Cole) that the D’s trust. And it will come with significant concessions for the Dems to abandon the first black man to be seriously  nominated for Speaker. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

True, but that's where the term "Gentlemen's Agreement" comes along.  Half the deals in D.C. don't ever make it to paper.  Yet the machine keeps turning, for better or worse.  Even if it's not enforceable in court, it's very powerful to show a signed copy of your requests from McCarthy signed by him.  You show that around to FoxNews and MAGA nation, it's curtains for McCarthy.  He's probably not dumb enough to agree in writing to anything, but he's backed into a corner now.  And people do dumb shit in the corner.  

That doesn't exist anymore. These are the same people that supported stealing of classified documents and an attempt to overthrow the government and establish a dictator. There's no gentleman left on that side. They've completely sold out to tribal politics where the other side is the enemy so why would they honor a gentleman's agreement with the enemy? 

No democrat in their right mind would trust anything a Republican has to say anymore. They did that to themselves. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1