2023 Dallas Cowboys "We Suck Again" Off-Season Thread

LTtxfan

I don't blame Romo or Dak as much as I do our coaching. A bunch of Jerry's yes men, until someone can come in and break that dynamic, it'll be the same shit. A generational QB might be able to overcome that, but Romo and Dak so far have been really good, but not quite elite. Dak still has a chance, but I don't have much faith as long as fatass McCarthy is the HC (or from a broader perspective as long as Jerry and his kids are alive pretinding to play GM).

DeMarco Murray fumble. Refs fucking Dez. Crayton dropping a wide open TD. Way more memorable than anything the QBs did (other than Romo's FG fumble, which can also be coaching for having your fucking starting QB holding kicks still). I've just watched enough NFL to know that really good or even good QBs are hard to come by and even mediocre QBs have won championships with good coaching and surrounding players. Romo and Dak have been held back by coaching and shitty drafting. The latter seems to have improved despite Jerrah, but still nowhere near where the elite franchises are with drafting and rosters.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/2/2023 at 10:17 AM, Hermanator said:

Dak is better than Goff, Tua, and probably tied with Herbert. For all the sucking off Herbert gets he's done absolutely nothing to elevate that team of underachievers. Tua cant stay on the field. Goff had 1 good year last year but can he repeat it?

Dak is not better than Goff.  He's better than Tua was as a rookie but not anymore.  Herbert is demonstrably better than Dak.

Cowherd is annoying as shit but he isn't wrong.

7 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Charlie Day Ok GIF

dak is a better qb than you are a poster but that still doesn’t preclude him from being a huge embarrassing failure.  the cowboys are the greatest sports organization in the history of the world and we have mentally-challenged rayne prescott running the clown show on the field.  it’s absolutely unbelievable that we would throw that fraud out there game-in and game-out for eight goddamn years and counting. 

8 hours ago, futureman said:

dak is a better qb than you are a poster but that still doesn’t preclude him from being a huge embarrassing failure.  the cowboys are the greatest sports organization in the history of the world and we have mentally-challenged rayne prescott running the clown show on the field.  it’s absolutely unbelievable that we would throw that fraud out there game-in and game-out for eight goddamn years and counting. 

middle finger GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/3/2023 at 10:56 AM, 'stache said:

DeMarco Murray fumble. Refs fucking Dez. Crayton dropping a wide open TD. Way more memorable than anything the QBs did (other than Romo's FG fumble, which can also be coaching for having your fucking starting QB holding kicks still). I've just watched enough NFL to know that really good or even good QBs are hard to come by and even mediocre QBs have won championships with good coaching and surrounding players. Romo and Dak have been held back by coaching and shitty drafting. The latter seems to have improved despite Jerrah, but still nowhere near where the elite franchises are with drafting and rosters.

The Crayton drop there was also the mammoth 20+ play td drive in the 2q by Dallas only to turn around have the Defense give up a quick six to the Giants just before the half.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/26/2023 at 1:38 PM, kevwun said:

There is no security with NFL contracts.  The owners don't want guaranteed contracts, so they get to deal with stuff like this.  It's a problem of their own making.

Exactly correct. Martin should hold out. 

On 8/3/2023 at 5:48 PM, DDD Dad said:

Dak is not better than Goff.  He's better than Tua was as a rookie but not anymore.  Herbert is demonstrably better than Dak.

Cowherd is annoying as shit but he isn't wrong.

100% correct on all front, except Herbert’s lack of playoff success slightly concerns, but he’s young. I probably put Dak about #15 overall in league rankings. After some thought I might elevate or lower him 2 spots, but he’s the definition of mediocre. 

Well, despite the plaque eating Jerry's brain, which it certainly is, this year looks like the Boy's best chance in a while. Pretty solid defense that could be quite good if they ever toughen up against the run. Offense that will score a lot even with the whole Dak question. But most importantly, there aren't many teams that look Super Bowl ready in the NFC. I count Philadelphia and the 49ers (if they're QB situation solidifies). Anybody else stepping up would be a surprise. 

This could finally be the year for at least an NFE title appearance, understanding that the wrong collection of injuries can wreck anyone.

8 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Kicker yet ?

Getting to be a real problem.... there's some dudes with real experience still looking for jobs, but like to see this solved by the 3rd preseason game.

Hey, why break tradition.  2nd rounder with known injury misses crucial parts of mini and training camp.  At least he's practicing but he's way behind.... Wonder if we'll carry 4 TEs on the active roster.

On 8/5/2023 at 1:43 PM, Blotto said:

Romo was pudding soft. He or one of his teammates would fuck up in a huge moment, and when they would cut to the sideline it seemed like Romo would be standing there with a goofy fucking smile, hamming it up. 

Bullshit.  The hits most NFL QBs take each week and accumulate over a season is fucking brutal.  

Romo was pudding soft. He or one of his teammates would fuck up in a huge moment, and when they would cut to the sideline it seemed like Romo would be standing there with a goofy fucking smile, hamming it up. 

This is just silly revisionist history. He played very tough in his years. Tougher than most playing often with a shitty line and bad defenses. Prime Romo with this talent would be contending for rings.

This is true, but it’s also true that Qb’s used to take more of a beating.

True until the owners figured out the best players at the hardest job in sports were getting murdered every week and half the teams were playing shitty backups by the end of the season.

I respect the hell out of guys like Bart Starr getting drilled into the dirt by deacon Jones, and then having to get in the huddle and choose and call the play. Wasn’t no Lombardi in his ear. But I also remember Meredith getting broken by the Browns and retiring young.

I am fine with the current rules for QBs. They still take a beating each week.

12 hours ago, Horn80 said:

Bullshit.  The hits most NFL QBs take each week and accumulate over a season is fucking brutal.  

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

This is just silly revisionist history. He played very tough in his years. Tougher than most playing often with a shitty line and bad defenses. Prime Romo with this talent would be contending for rings.

I'm talking mentally tough and being driven. The difference in sideline demeaner between a Romo and someone like Brady or Peyton is night and day. The guys with rings would be getting in someone's ass when they fucked up. Romo would stand there with his goofy fucking grin hoping things went better next time. 

13 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

if ginger gave the job back to tony in late 2016 we'd have won it that year and the next.  romo with that line and prime zeke would have been the greatest offense in league history.

On 8/3/2023 at 9:47 AM, 'stache said:

I don't blame Romo or Dak as much as I do our coaching. A bunch of Jerry's yes men, until someone can come in and break that dynamic, it'll be the same shit. A generational QB might be able to overcome that, but Romo and Dak so far have been really good, but not quite elite. Dak still has a chance, but I don't have much faith as long as fatass McCarthy is the HC (or from a broader perspective as long as Jerry and his kids are alive pretinding to play GM).

Romo was light years more talented than Dak.  I agree with your coaching assessment though.

On 8/5/2023 at 1:43 PM, Blotto said:

Wrong.

Romo was a gamer who got beat to hell.  Not his fault for having legit serious injuries.