The official 2024 GOP Presidential Candidate Clown Car thread!

horn4life

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

Racist Ramaswamy is just fucking idiotic. Just a dumbass idiot. 

"Of course, this part of the interview absolutely screamed out for a follow up to pin him down on exactly how this was supposed to work, but Chuck Todd is Chuck Todd, so that didn't happen."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 5

8 hours ago, Pancho said:

Racist Ramaswamy is just fucking idiotic. Just a dumbass idiot. 

It’s annoying that he gained notoriety from his debate performance by being the biggest shitbag on the stage so he immediately gets rewarded with a prime spot on Meet the Press. I didn’t have the stomach for that so I switched over to Face the Nation who had, who else? Mike fucking Pence. Jesus, the dude is on the Sunday morning talk shows every fucking week. Is he paying them or something? Give me a break, please.

Last night I was watching an episode of SEAL Team. It’s not a good show but it has some action scenes every episode and sometimes I watch for those. Anyway, there was a good line that I thought could apply to Vivek: “Typical Millennial, thinks he invented the wheel when in fact he can't change a tire.” Seems like that fits. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Vivek just openly said he'd commit election fraud, which is becoming a leg of their campaign.  So what other laws would they break?  Let's ask, Chuck, especially since they're willing to tell us.  

Have to enjoy hearing the Democrat wrong word or sentence that damns their campaign, especially for the both sides crowd, while Republicans campaign on breaking laws--grabbing pussy and asking China for election interference got Trump almost 74 million votes, and now another Republican is campaigning on additional election fraud.  They pocketed 2 billion from a foreign government--the whole family is a blackmail threat.    

How are we even going to have political debates when one side with religious backing, runs a convicted rapist with at least a half dozen indictments and more on the way, almost 100 pending charges with more on the way, and two impeachments?  I half expect them to have bonfire rallies in hoods, but I don't know how that will work on a national debate stage.

"I'd like to begin my answer with: first and foremost, my policies don't involve me having to pardon myself once I take office, I can currently travel abroad, without the threat of becoming a flight risk, and I don't have any pending criminal charges.   Also, I would begin my term with political experience, no personal bankruptcies, no rape convictions, and no prior impeachments, and yes, I mean that with an s, as in plural."  

That's a hell of a low bar to have to step over, but I think the Democrats can muster someone that fits those credentials.  Well you see, Pete's gay, Warren claimed she was part Native American, Biden is really fucking old, Kamala is a black female, Klobuchar is another female...so both sides.

• Rage+1 2

22 minutes ago, Red Five said:

You would have thought that being arrested four times and being charged with 91 felony counts would have perhaps put a dent in his lead. In a race for President of the United States. 

Have you paid any attention at all to the Republican party in the last 20 years???

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Red Five said:

You would have thought that being arrested four times and being charged with 91 felony counts would have perhaps put a dent in his lead. In a race for President of the United States. 

They think he's innocent.  They truly do think it's all just because we don't like him.  

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Red Five said:

To the Republican Party's voters, this is an asset, not a liability.

• Hook 'Em 1

She's got a lot of ground to make up but is it time to start taking Nikki Haley seriously, especially if Trump is convicted or is otherwise barred from getting the Republican nomination (yes, LOL, I know): https://news.yahoo.com/nikki-haley-starting-look-real-000718912.html

This is purely anecdotal but my FIL, who voted twice for Trump but says he doesn't like him now (and really hates Paxton -- now -- after voting for him in 2022), said he's voting for Haley. Of course, we've got a long ways to go in this race. He might vote for Haley in March but assuming Trump is the Republican in the general, I'd be willing to bet he holds his nose and pulls the lever for DOTARD and maybe not admit to it, or simply not vote (which is good for us).

Is it time for Republicans to take Nikki Haley seriously?

According to a new Emerson College Polling survey, “Haley saw the largest increase in support among Republican candidates, jumping 5 points from 2 percent to 7 percent” following last week’s debate.

“Nikki Haley’s support increased from about 2 percent to 9 percent among voters over 50 [years of age],” said Spencer Kimball, executive director of Emerson College Polling, “while Trump’s support dropped within this age group from about 56 percent to 49 percent after the debate.”

This jump is modest, inasmuch as it still leaves Haley in the single digits. But it’s also no outlier. According to a poll conducted by The Washington Post, FiveThirtyEight, and Ipsos released last Thursday, voters were persuaded to at least give her a second look. “Pre-debate, 29 percent of GOP primary voters who watched the debate said they were considering voting for her,” according to the survey, “and that increased to 46 percent after the debate.”

So how did she do it? Haley caught our attention by being first to hit Trump (from the right), when she criticized him for “adding eight trillion to our debt.” This surprised everyone, demonstrated courage, and put to rest the notion that she is merely running to be Trump’s vice president.

Haley also staked out a strong position on abortion. While stressing her pro-life beliefs, she made the pragmatic case that a federal abortion ban would require 60 votes. Instead, Haley urged Republicans to focus on consensus issues, like banning late-term abortions, making sure contraception is widely available, and supporting adoption as an alternative.

Trump’s former veep, Mike Pence, who supports a 15-week federal ban on abortion, took umbrage with this. “Nikki, you’re my friend, but consensus is the opposite of leadership,” Pence scolded. (As the Never Trump conservative writer Jonah Goldberg has pointed out on his podcast, building consensus is often a key attribute of leadership.)

This exchange, like others during that same debate, made it clear that in a general election Nikki Haley would likely be Joe Biden’s most challenging opponent.

Having served as governor of South Carolina and ambassador to the United Nations, she has the experience needed for the office. She also has sharp elbows. (“You have no foreign policy experience and it shows,” she told Vivek Ramaswamy.)

At 51, Haley would present a stark contrast in terms of generational change, assuming that Joe Biden was still the Democratic nominee. And (unlike others) she is not staking out an abortion position that might render her effectively unelectable, should she become the Republican nominee.

Haley (who frequently cites Margaret Thatcher’s line, “If you want something said, ask a man. If you want something done, ask a woman”) was the only woman on that stage. Her identity, temperament, and policy positions could help chip away at the gender gap that has only grown in recent years.

The obvious caveat here is that all of these things would make Haley a great candidate to beat Joe Biden if she somehow wins the Republican nomination. But that’s an awfully big “if.”

Haley’s answer to this is to make the electability argument: “We have to face the fact that Trump is the most disliked politician in America,” she—and she, alone—averred during last week’s debate.

But will that dog hunt?

Right now, the electability argument isn’t persuading Republicans to jump off the Trump bandwagon, even though that argument is likely the only one that could ever work. At some point (perhaps after Donald Trump goes on trial and it’s too late), Republicans might be convinced that, as entertaining as Trump is, he simply can’t win.

Based on all of this, you might expect me to suggest that it’s time to clear the field—to rally every freedom conservative, Reagan Republican, and Never Trump conservative to coalesce around Haley as the GOP’s last, best hope.

Some of my colleagues are already there. The New York Times columnist David Brooks, for example, declared last week that “Wednesday’s debate persuaded me that the best Trump alternative is not [Tim] Scott, it’s Nikki Haley.”

But here’s my problem. Haley has been all over the map for years now. One day she’s courageous and impressive, and the next day she’s a pathetic Trump toady.

Haley is a political chameleon, which makes me reluctant to ever trust her again.

Trump and Ramaswamy Show Us How the Worst Get to the Top

On the other hand, anyone looking for purity (as it pertains to Trump) can also dismiss Pence and Chris Christie—both of whom supported Trump until Jan. 6—and a vast swath of today’s leading Never Trumpers. As the Good Book says, “Who then can be saved?”

Nikki Haley’s got a long way to go before she clears the not-Trump lane of candidates, much less taking on the final boss himself. And though nothing has yet made a dent in Trump’s domination of the GOP voter base, he’s never run as a candidate on trial before. But the whole 91-felony indictment thing might just do the trick.

If Haley can prove herself by stringing together two or three of these kinds of courageous performances—in which she not only characterizes Trump as the guy who already lost to Biden, but also that she’s as real a conservative as any of the other contenders—there is a path to success.

It’s hardly guaranteed, and as I’ve noted, courage comes and goes with Haley. But in the “Matt Lewis primary,” you can count me among the 46 percent who are now considering voting for her.

The Republican Party has been and always will be run on confidence schemes and by confidence men 

Nixon - I’m not a crook 

Reagan - The benefits will trickle down 

Bush 1 - Read my lips, no new taxes

Bush 2 - Iraq has WMDs

Trump - Mexico will pay for the wall 

Other notable confidence men 

Elon - You will see FSD by next year (2011-present)

Vivek - I will make Putin honor treaties 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/29/2023 at 1:41 PM, Foosters said:

Yeah maybe MAGA will back a female from India with a weird name

Lulz. If Democrats had as little respect for political correctness as Republicans do, they’d start referring to Ramaswamy as “Nikki.” Kill two birds with one stone. 

• Haha 1

I guess Nikki has decided it's now or never:

Nikki Haley Says She Is Confident Americans Won't Vote For A Convicted Felon

The 2024 GOP presidential candidate previously said she would back Donald Trump as the party's nominee even if he was found guilty of crimes.

Marita Vlachou

Sep 4, 2023, 06:08 AM EDT |Updated 5 hours ago

On 9/3/2023 at 7:56 AM, Biff Tannen said:

What is wrong with people Max?  They are fucking stupid and broken, that’s what. 

Isn’t Max Boot one of those special class of clowns that worked really hard to create the modern Republican Party over the last 30 years and then started acting really surprised when that inevitably led to Donald Trump?

Because those people can fuck right off, forever. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Isn’t Max Boot one of those special class of clowns that worked really hard to create the modern Republican Party over the last 30 years and then started acting really surprised when that inevitably led to Donald Trump?

Because those people can fuck right off, forever. 

Just like Rick Wilson and David Frum, trying to atone

On 8/29/2023 at 1:10 PM, TheStoicPaisano said:

Ponzu Postalita out faster than a rabbit gets fucked

I've already forgotten what it was, but this guy said something incredibly stupid or tonedeaf about two weeks after he announced his candidacy.  There was never any way he'd get any attention except as a "story" or oddity.  Some people . . .

I’m thinking the Uyghur thing but also an ego thing. Lots to choose from. To wit:

Enters presidential race super late with no national name recognition

> Posts running and surfing thirst traps

> Asks Hugh Hewitt “What’s a Uyghur?”

> Fails to qualify for debate

> Drops out after 75 days

> Refuses to elaborate

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, berlinerbaer said:

Just like Rick Wilson and David Frum, trying to atone

David Brooks. Bill Kristol. On and on. There’s a bunch of these dudes out here fishing for a pat on the back with every post-2015 tweet. 

Guarantee they all wrote articles at the time about how Newt Gingrich is “just what the country needs”. Or some variation on “look, we all know Barack Obama was born in the United States. So why doesn’t he just show his birth certificate and let’s move on?”

5 hours ago, Bullneck said:

I guess Nikki has decided it's now or never:

Nikki Haley Says She Is Confident Americans Won't Vote For A Convicted Felon

The 2024 GOP presidential candidate previously said she would back Donald Trump as the party's nominee even if he was found guilty of crimes.

Marita Vlachou

Sep 4, 2023, 06:08 AM EDT |Updated 5 hours ago

She’s full of shit. She knows they’ll vote for him. So will she.

She once said she wouldn’t run for president if Trump ran. She was full of shit then too.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/547784-nikki-haley-says-she-will-not-run-if-trump-runs-for-president-in-2024/

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I think a number of candidates could probably beat Biden including her. But the gop is too stupid to go that way.

Probably, but they are too stupid or too cowardly to jettison Trump, even though he’s clearly not doing anything to win next year.

They are backing a candidate who makes a big deal out of going to Iowa, home of 6 electoral votes, when he should be crisscrossing Georgia, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Michigan, Nevada, and Arizona.

I hope someday we find out he has blackmail material on the GOP leadership.  The alternative is that they are scared of Cletus, or rather Cletii (plural) who will only vote for Trump.

19 hours ago, elfenix said:

who the fuck is this perry johnson kook that just bought an ad during el assico?

A Republican who also bought donations like Doug Burgum did in order to qualify for the first Republican debate but who was shut out of the debate by the RNC anyway. 

IMG_9020.thumb.jpeg.b67e9733cce1316d71ad618c241f5b2c.jpeg

According to The Detroit News:

”Johnson also self-funded a 2022 campaign for Michigan governor before being one of five GOP gubernatorial candidates who were disqualified from the primary ballot because of a wave of fraudulent petition signatures.”

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2023/08/18/perry-johnson-gop-presidential-debate-milwaukee-donald-trump-ron-desantis-mike-pence-nikki-hayley/70622032007/

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

A Republican who also bought donations like Doug Burgum did in order to qualify for the first Republican debate but who was shut out of the debate by the RNC anyway. 

IMG_9020.thumb.jpeg.b67e9733cce1316d71ad618c241f5b2c.jpeg

According to The Detroit News:

”Johnson also self-funded a 2022 campaign for Michigan governor before being one of five GOP gubernatorial candidates who were disqualified from the primary ballot because of a wave of fraudulent petition signatures.”

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2023/08/18/perry-johnson-gop-presidential-debate-milwaukee-donald-trump-ron-desantis-mike-pence-nikki-hayley/70622032007/

image.png.d3f3e7d32c93bc4293366680113d964c.png

• Hook 'Em 1