2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!

BurntOrange&White

21 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I've never seen a team do this. That unit needs to work as one and having a rotation seems silly.

This goes way back, but McWilliams used to do that here. There was one game (Colorado 1990, I think) where we had our second team OL in the game in the fourth quarter. They got crushed and we punted and then lost the game. Quite the shitstorm that caused at the time, pre-internet. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

13 minutes ago, Red Five said:

This goes way back, but McWilliams used to do that here. There was one game (Colorado 1990, I think) where we had our second team OL in the game in the fourth quarter. They got crushed and we punted and then lost the game. Quite the shitstorm that caused at the time, pre-internet. 

That game was September in Austin and hotter than hell if I recall correctly.  The stated rationale was get fresh legs in for the fourth quarter when all the buffs were worn out.  It didn't work out, obviously.

5 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

That game was September in Austin and hotter than hell if I recall correctly.  The stated rationale was get fresh legs in for the fourth quarter when all the buffs were worn out.  It didn't work out, obviously.

Yeah. IIRC, it was only one series, but it quickly got to 4th and 20 or something and then the game was over. Oops. 

• Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, Hermanator said:

I can't even imagine having to share living quarters with a dude that big. The snoring must be off the charts

Right,  and that's not even taking Into consideration about what comes out the other end. 

2023 Preseason All-Big 12 football team: Texas leads the way, Kansas' Jalon Daniels earns top offensive honor

By Cameron Salerno      3 hrs ago

The Big 12 released its annual Preseason All-Big 12 squad on Wednesday ahead of the conference's media days scheduled for next week. Texas, the betting favorite to win the conference, led the way with five total players. That list is headlined by the preseason Defensive Player of the Year Jaylan Ford and the conference's only unanimous pick in wide receiver Xavier Worthy. 

Kansas, Kansas State and TCU all had four selections. Jayhawks quarterback Jalon Daniels was tabbed the conference's preseason Offensive Player of the Year while Kansas State running back Treshaun Ward was named Newcomer of the Year. Oklahoma State was next on the list three. 

Defensive lineman Ethan Downs is the only Oklahoma player on the list as the Sooners are looking for playmakers to step up after last year's disappointing 6-7 campaign. Baylor, Iowa State and West Virginia all had one player honored. 

Cincinnati was first among the conference's newcomers with two selections. BYU had one in offensive lineman Kingsley Suamataia. No UCF and Houston players were picked. 

Here is a look at the Preseason All-Big 12 Football Team ahead of the 2023 season. 

Screenshot_20230705-183308_kindlephoto-15137937.thumb.png.d9743803036e4877ac43de46fd76a8d7.png

Screenshot_20230705-183538_kindlephoto-15287431.thumb.png.1a34432b1af12194978ff057198638df.png

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

This narrative really needs to die. I see it a lot for other teams too. Every fan in the country thinks their DC doesn't play press coverage enough. Outside of the Tech game, we allowed 5 passing conversions all season on 4th and 5 or less, with one of them being late during the WVU game when the score was already well out of hand.

As a matter of fact, our inability to get off the field on 3rd/4th down and medium/long was way more of an issue than short yardage plays.

So that still leaves 6 of 8 conversions in the Tech game.  Not mention the variable of Patterson's departure.  So you'll have to pardon the narrative living until I see it die.  Not from Missouri, but they need to show me.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Does anyone have any intel on Sark's or Flood's history for/against displacing established starters when better talent became experienced enough to win the job? Sorry if it is already around here and I've missed/forgotten it. I'm trying to decide whether to let my hopes even think of getting up for an upgrade this season at C.
This is a shit or get off the pot year for both of them, and neither have Jimbo's Saudi royal weekly allowance money hanging over their heads. I think they will put in whoever gives us the best chance to win...unless both are tired of coaching and want early retirement.
  • Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, cochamps said:

So that still leaves 6 of 8 conversions in the Tech game.  Not mention the variable of Patterson's departure.  So you'll have to pardon the narrative living until I see it die.  Not from Missouri, but they need to show me.

2 of those 6 conversions were “short yardage” passes. 

Again, I’m not saying the pass defense can’t get better. But the notion that just playing the corners closer will solve all the 3rd and 4th down issues is just not true when you consider the majority of the issues came on medium and long yardage downs.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Getafix said:

Can't wait for this guy to start making plays for us.

(The clip was posted in the context of the preseason all-conference team (Worthy was the only consensus selection, IIRC).

Could watch this all day. His ability to make tough, contested, and clutch catches can unlock what this offense was missing last year especially.

• Hook 'Em 3

15 hours ago, Red Five said:

I did not know that about the second team OL, but I do have vivid recollections of us getting the ball back with a chance to tie and their combo of Kanavis McGhee and Alfred Williams just eating us alive and forcing a 3 and out, so it makes a lot of sense. 

17 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

This narrative really needs to die. I see it a lot for other teams too. Every fan in the country thinks their DC doesn't play press coverage enough. Outside of the Tech game, we allowed 5 passing conversions all season on 4th and 5 or less, with one of them being late during the WVU game when the score was already well out of hand.

As a matter of fact, our inability to get off the field on 3rd/4th down and medium/long was way more of an issue than short yardage plays.

Agree on this. Watts pressed almost every down. More to the point the defense was very solid last year. People want to harp on this one point, but they are focusing on  the trees and missing the forest. Yes, the Texas secondary was generally slow. They were not great. You have to run a defense that your players can execute.  I would not want to see a defense where guys like Cook, Thompson, and Jamison are consistently pressing with limited help over the top.  That said the defense finished 20th in pts per drive (1.74 pts) and 16th in yard per play. 

OSU finished 3rd in the nation on 3rd down conversions allowed (27%) and Texas finished 91st (41%). No Texas coach or fan would have traded defenses with OSU last year, despite that difference. OSU finished 74th in pts per drive (2.30). The secondary/pass rush kept Texas from being elite. It did not keep them from being a good defense. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

2023 Preseason All-Big 12 football team: Texas leads the way, Kansas' Jalon Daniels earns top offensive honor

By Cameron Salerno      3 hrs ago

The Big 12 released its annual Preseason All-Big 12 squad on Wednesday ahead of the conference's media days scheduled for next week. Texas, the betting favorite to win the conference, led the way with five total players. That list is headlined by the preseason Defensive Player of the Year Jaylan Ford and the conference's only unanimous pick in wide receiver Xavier Worthy. 

Kansas, Kansas State and TCU all had four selections. Jayhawks quarterback Jalon Daniels was tabbed the conference's preseason Offensive Player of the Year while Kansas State running back Treshaun Ward was named Newcomer of the Year. Oklahoma State was next on the list three. 

Defensive lineman Ethan Downs is the only Oklahoma player on the list as the Sooners are looking for playmakers to step up after last year's disappointing 6-7 campaign. Baylor, Iowa State and West Virginia all had one player honored. 

Cincinnati was first among the conference's newcomers with two selections. BYU had one in offensive lineman Kingsley Suamataia. No UCF and Houston players were picked. 

Here is a look at the Preseason All-Big 12 Football Team ahead of the 2023 season. 

Screenshot_20230705-183308_kindlephoto-15137937.thumb.png.d9743803036e4877ac43de46fd76a8d7.png

Screenshot_20230705-183538_kindlephoto-15287431.thumb.png.1a34432b1af12194978ff057198638df.png

Jalon Daniels? Really?

2 hours ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

If you want to press coverage, you'll need a pass rush guaranteed to get to the QB in non-geologic time. Take Brian Orakpo as your example. Which one of our defenders can reliably pressure a QB?

There aren't many Brian Orakpo's out there. Even in the NFL, refs had to ignore the OL holds for the QBs to remain safe.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Drool 1

On 7/5/2023 at 3:08 PM, Red Five said:

Cameron Williams is the swing tackle but he may also become the biggest tight end since Baylor had LaQuan McGowan. This is the role Andrej Karic played last year. We’ll see how much they deploy this package but apparently they still like it.

Meh. We tried this package against TCU and they carved us up. Their LBs and safeties were shooting through the line all night.

Edited by satyanash

17 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Meh. We tried this package against TCU and they carved us up. Their LBs and safeties were shooting through the line all night.

Wasn't there some talk that we were tipping our plays against TCU? Or is that just the fan in me wishcasting? 

If it was the case, then that could explain how ineffective that package was. 

Mock drafts now are crazy...

Texas QB Quinn Ewers heads to Cowboys division rival in ESPN mock draft

Fellow Longhorn Xavier Worthy also found himself sneaking into the back end of the first round.

(Texas quarterback Quinn Ewers went eighth overall to the Washington Commanders, an NFC East division rival of the Dallas Cowboys.)

Paywall...

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/texas-longhorns/2023/07/06/texas-qb-quinn-ewers-heads-to-dallas-cowboys-division-rival-in-espn-mock-draft/

Edited by LTtxfan