Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

On 4/13/2023 at 1:45 PM, Rockethorn1978 said:

Now we have RT and gonna hopefully end this experiment by end of year 2. 

On 4/13/2023 at 11:01 AM, Red Five said:

I understand why the decision was made. But I didn't like it then or now and I won't like it when we're coach shopping in two years. 

On 4/14/2023 at 10:12 AM, UTEE97 said:

However, most of us non-Terry fans saw where Terry's ceiling (and struggles) would be and didn't think that would be good enough for Texas.

On 4/14/2023 at 9:04 PM, austintiger said:

Don't hate rt. He is just a terrible head coach. I will get shit for saying it but you will see soon enough. 

I mean this was just a few minutes of looking on this thread.  There have been many, many more posts like this.  Any time anything bad happens a certain set of posters can't help themselves but remind everyone that they didn't support his hiring.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I mean this was just a few minutes of looking on this thread.  There have been many, many more posts like this.  Any time anything bad happens a certain set of posters can't help themselves but remind everyone that they didn't support his hiring.

That austintiger dude is an aggy troll. Tbf.

I honestly don’t think there are many true sunshine pumpers. This isn’t like the old days of Mack Brown and Chris Sims sunshine pumping. Almost everyone here would have liked to hire Jay Wright or someone of that caliber.  Most people are just asking to give RT time and also acknowledging that transfers are part of the game now and not necessarily a poor reflection on him.

I haven’t heard anyone say “RT is the man!!! We are gonna go to the Final Four every year!!!” 

But whatever.  

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, HookEm said:

those aren't the quotes we're looking for. nobody is contending with the idea that there are people out there who wanted someone else to be the coach. i would be included among those people. but those aren't the allegations.

the allegations are that we've had this cadre of fans who have been over-the-top negative and going all doomsday over all of the news/events which took place for the first 3-4 weeks of april, eg AJ Johnson decommitting, donewald and reilly leaving, dillon mitchell declaring for the draft with no intention to return, arterio morris transferring, etc. the reactions to those events from people on this site was by and large (98%?) completely normal reactions to that type of news, and were not these overly negative/doomsday/fire RT type posts, as has been alleged.

Edited by shadow_operative

4 hours ago, HookEm said:

You think people shouldn't have questioned the RT hire? Nothing has happened so far to dispute that belief. Yes, we have added couple of good players but the others are bench players who are unlikely to be difference makers. We have lost more talent than we've gained so far and that's not gonna cut it. He needs to have a great roster to win in this conference. So hold your victory laps until the season plays out.

Edited by UTEE97

6 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

revisiting this for the sheer insanity, insincerity, and bullshit of it all. you say that i'm ruining this thread, and yet in this post you:

•fire the first pot shot by talking ad hominem shit to me 

•YOU make it personal and combative and all about me/not about basketball 

•you finish the post by apologizing to everyone else here for even engaging me, then tell me to dial it back

honest question: are you fucking retarded? you got one fucked up way of getting me to "dial it back." what an absolutely monumental lack of self awareness on your part, which btw might be your most prominent trait.

you come in here and do the exact things that you claim i'm doing to ruin so many threads, and your expectation is that after making it personal and being incredibly insulting and taking unprovoked pot shots at me, that THAT will result in me "dialing it back"? THAT is what will get this thread back on track? how fucking tone deaf can you be? you would do very well to find even a modicum of self awareness before you go talking shit to someone else about his own supposed lack of it. how you manage to convince yourself that you're above it all while starting so much personal shit is just fucking wild. 

OK, buddy.  Sleep tight.

9 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

So hold your victory laps until the season plays out.

Finally, a little common ground.  Of course, in your world, you only want to apply that statement to anything that could be construed as positive.  Why?  Why do the things that could potentially impact the team in a negative way matter now, but the positive things can only be evaluated after next season?  Can we not apply the same critical thinking to both?

Oh shit, never mind.  I forgot where I was posting.   

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

Finally, a little common ground.  Of course, in your world, you only want to apply that statement to anything that could be construed as positive.  Why?  Why do the things that could potentially impact the team in a negative way matter now, but the positive things can only be evaluated after next season?  Can we not apply the same critical thinking to both?

Yea.  I seem to recall some were preaching patience when the strength coach left to join his guy at ole miss.  It happens.  We chose not to match allegedly.  We can react to good and bad news but I’d save the I told you sos for I don’t know, game 2?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, idigTexas said:

WTF are you talking about? We made a prediction that RT would be a mediocre coach based on every possible metrics you can use except for the recency bias and mistaking correlation to causation (i.e., winning with other coach's team). You people like to bury your head in the sand and keep coming up with excuses for every setbacks we have experienced in the short period he has been the official HC. You can lose one or two talented guys and brush that off as anomaly, but when you lose four 5 stars in a span of a month (not sure it has happened anywhere ever), then it's a trend.

He got some players in the portal with the help of NIL, as RGB indicated in another thread. You can always get players at Texas and he went for two easy buckets to boost his win column. Now he has to win big or the NIL support will dry out, and if you can't get 5 stars to stay, then this honeymoon for some of you won't last very long.

Sorry if being a realist is not your cup of tea. Everyone understands why he had to be hired. Some of us just believe it was not for the right reasons. I don't think there is any evidence of any mediocre coach from mid major programs having success in P5. Even if there may be examples, I bet the list is not long. We are not being biased with our opinion because it's backed by "facts and figures." Yours, on the other hand, is biased.

Edited by UTEE97

12 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

We are not being biased with our opinion because it's backed by "facts and figures."  Yours, on the other hand, is biased.

I don't think you have any idea what my opinion actually is. Please spell it out for me and I will tell you if you got it right.   

14 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

You can lose one or two talented guys and brush that off as anomaly, but when you lose four 5 stars in a span of a month (not sure it has happened anywhere ever), then it's a trend.

Yes, four 5-stars is a lot to lose (although technically we have only lost three so far since Mitchell could be back). Regardless, I agree it sucks.

You know what else sucks?  Losing one 5 star plus EIGHT 4-stars in your first month on the job.  Holy shit!

• Greg Brown (early entry) - 5 star
  • Donovan Williams (transfer) - 4 star
  • Royce Hamm (transfer) - 4 star
  • Kamaka Hepa (transfer) - 4 star
  • Gerald Lidell (transfer) - 4 star
  • Kai Jones (early entry) - 4 star
  • Matt Coleman (early entry) - 4 star
  • Tamar Bates (decomit) - 4 star
  • David Joplin (decomit) - 4 star
  • Keeyan Itejere (decomit) - 3 star

It seemed to turn out all right for Chris Beard.  Maybe it will turn out ok for Terry.  Maybe it won't. 

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

WTF are you talking about? We made a prediction that RT would be a mediocre coach based on every possible metrics you can use except for the recency bias and mistaking correlation to causation (i.e., winning with other coach's team). You people like to bury your head in the sand and keep coming up with excuses for every setbacks we have experienced in the short period he has been the official HC. You can lose one or two talented guys and brush that off as anomaly, but when you lose four 5 stars in a span of a month (not sure it has happened anywhere ever), then it's a trend.

He got some players in the portal with the help of NIL, as RGB indicated in another thread. You can always get players at Texas and he went for two easy buckets to boost his win column. Now he has to win big or the NIL support will dry out, and if you can't get 5 stars to stay, then this honeymoon for some of you won't last very long.

Sorry if being a realist is not your cup of tea. 

I am a realist.  The reality is that Texas just had its best season in over a decade, and as a result, RT was hired.  It's done.  Reading all the crap about why it was a bad choice, while everyone understands that it was the only realistic option accomplishes nothing, unless you just enjoy raining on the parade.  It's not going to change what has already occurred.  Sure, it sets you up for some "I told you so" shit later, even though no one is arguing the other side.   

Expressing why you expect RT to fail doesn't make you a realist.  Expecting the worst is the very definition of being a pessimist, just as expecting success at this point would make one an optimist.  Being a realist means that you are open to seeing what actually happens when RT has had a reasonable time to do the job that he was just hired to do before deciding one way or another whether hiring him was a good or bad thing for the program.

You can still hope for the best while preparing for the worst.  Having a positive outlook is good for you.  You should try it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I don't think you have any idea what my opinion actually is. Please spell it out for me and I will tell you if you got it right.   

Yes, four 5-stars is a lot to lose (although technically we have only lost three so far since Mitchell could be back). Regardless, I agree it sucks.

You know what else sucks?  Losing one 5 star plus EIGHT 4-stars in your first month on the job.  Holy shit!

• Greg Brown (early entry) - 5 star
  • Donovan Williams (transfer) - 4 star
  • Royce Hamm (transfer) - 4 star
  • Kamaka Hepa (transfer) - 4 star
  • Gerald Lidell (transfer) - 4 star
  • Kai Jones (early entry) - 4 star
  • Matt Coleman (early entry) - 4 star
  • Tamar Bates (decomit) - 4 star
  • David Joplin (decomit) - 4 star
  • Keeyan Itejere (decomit) - 3 star

It seemed to turn out all right for Chris Beard.  Maybe it will turn out ok for Terry.  Maybe it won't. 

If you're comparing CB's situation with RT's, all I have to say is:

Stupidity Are You Stupid GIF

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, UTEE97 said:

Are you arguing other schools aren't using NIL and playing time to land transfers? Also, Morris and Mitchell both came to Texas with the intention of being one and dones. Hell, even before Holland's decommitment, there was plenty of discussion from people like Gerry Hamilton on whether, in the current landscape of CBB/G League, it's worth it to recruit 5 stars that are coming in expecting to be one and dones. 

26 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Are you arguing other schools aren't using NIL and playing time to land transfers? Also, Morris and Mitchell both came to Texas with the intention of being one and dones. Hell, even before Holland's decommitment, there was plenty of discussion from people like Gerry Hamilton on whether, in the current landscape of CBB/G League, it's worth it to recruit 5 stars that are coming in expecting to be one and dones. 

There is no ending to this argument. There are holes in your arguments that I can point out and then you will do the same to me. Let's just try to enjoy the weekend and hope we get a good roster for next season. Cheers!

• Hook 'Em 3

Sometimes when you break up with the person who you thought was "the one" you actually find the one.  Most of the time you end up in a rebound relationship.  Even knowing that it is more likely to be the latter, I want to at least enjoy the rebound while I can.  There will be plenty of time to feel shitty again once there is a definite reason to do so.   

• Hook 'Em 1

This thread is a beating and should be nuked from existence.  Mods need to clean up this shit.  As the saying goes, when you run into one asshole then they are just an asshole but when everyone you run into is an asshole then you’re the asshole.  

17 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

You think people shouldn't have questioned the RT hire? Nothing has happened so far to dispute that belief. Yes, we have added couple of good players but the others are bench players who are unlikely to be difference makers. We have lost more talent than we've gained so far and that's not gonna cut it. He needs to have a great roster to win in this conference. So hold your victory laps until the season plays out.

You can question it all you want, but don't pretend to think that if Beard was the coach that the same attrition would have magically disappeared. Mitchell, Morris, Johnson, and Holland would not be on this team, because Mitchell and Morris didn't play for Beard either, and Beard isn't going to fucking waste his time developing or showcasing the 5-star one and dones. Beard's history as a head coach shows he has done shit with the high 4-star and 5-star freshmen when he's had them. He's still a good coach, because he likes coaching experienced teams through a shitty non-con and winning in March when it matters.

3 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

There is no ending to this argument. There are holes in your arguments that I can point out and then you will do the same to me. Let's just try to enjoy the weekend and hope we get a good roster for next season. Cheers!

The only holes are in your brain when trying to discuss anything involving Terry.

39 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i apologize for being so combative lately. i've been having a tough time and i shouldn't be posting here when i'm in that place. i apologize, and i'll do better.

No worries. At least there's a reason for your behavior. The electrician appears to just be a pinhead.

• Haha 4
  • Fuck You 1

42 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i apologize for being so combative lately. i've been having a tough time and i shouldn't be posting here when i'm in that place. i apologize, and i'll do better.

Please take care of yourself and your mental health.  That is far more important than anything else.  Good luck and please come back when you are in a better place.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

This is going to seem flippant but I'm being sincere. You need to get laid but more importantly, you need a lady in your life. Someone who will listen to your rants, so you don't post them on here. And if you are spending quality time with her, you will find that you have less time for trivial shit on Surly.  

Personally, I have enjoyed the trainwreck over 2 or 3 websites. But I'm not rooting for you to end up in a bad spot just for my entertainment. 

45 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

This is going to seem flippant but I'm being sincere. You need to get laid but more importantly, you need a lady in your life. Someone who will listen to your rants, so you don't post them on here. And if you are spending quality time with her, you will find that you have less time for trivial shit on Surly.  

Personally, I have enjoyed the trainwreck over 2 or 3 websites. But I'm not rooting for you to end up in a bad spot just for my entertainment. 

I think a lady in one’s life may prevent the rants.  

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

New portal name to know per Gerry. Dennis Rodman’s son

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4432103/dj-rodman

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Give me the shooters who also hit their FTs. That would gruntle me 

I think if Texas brings those two for visits, it's going to be the 1st 2 out of 3, (Sellers, Rodman, Hunter) to commit. I just don't see enough minutes for all 3, but Texas needs 4 guards, and Rodman isn't a guard.

An Abmas, Weaver, Sellers backcourt would be hell on wheels to deal with, even more so with Hunter.

In a 3 guard lineup, Weaver would come off the bench. He'll get plenty of minutes and it's his team after everyone departs in 2023. UTEP forward is undoubtedly coming off the bench, so there's room for one starting 4 needed in the portal.

G Hunter

G Abmas

G Sellers

F Rodman

C Disu

Plus a solid bench.

Now that roster is as good as last year's team, which could have won the tournament.

** That's if Rodman plays bigger than his size, like his father.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

In a 3 guard lineup, Weaver would come off the bench. He'll get plenty of minutes and it's his team after everyone departs in 2023. UTEP forward is undoubtedly coming off the bench, so there's room for one starting 4 needed in the portal.

G Hunter

G Abmas

G Sellers

F Rodman

C Disu

Plus a solid bench.

Now that roster is as good as last year's team, which could have won the tournament.

** That's if Rodman plays bigger than his size, like his father.

I think it is almost certain we are going to start Kaden Shedrick.  He is a true center and it lets us start Disu at the 4.  He didn't leave a starting role at Virginia to come here and play off the bench.

• G - Hunter (if he returns)
  • G - Amas
  • G/F - TBD - Weaver (small) or Cunningham (big) or Mitchell (if he returns) or TBD from the portal
  • F - Disu
  • C - Shedrick

-----------------------------------------

• G - Weaver
  • F - Cunningham 
  • F - Onyema
  • F - Anamekwe

Returning (7): Disu, Hunter*, Cunningham, Anamekwe, Perryman, Bott, Clark

Out (6): Carr, Rice, Allen, Bishop, Morris, Brumbaugh

In (7): Abmas, Weaver, Sellers*, Rodman*, Onyemi, Shedrick, Prince

G Hunter/Sellers/Prince

G Abmas/Weaver/Perryman

F Rodman/Anamekwe

F Disu/Cunningham/Clark

F Shedrick/Onyemi/Bott

Thats a big lineup short on ball distributors but is a deep talented team that would score a lot and be good on defense.

Edited by Snake Diggity

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

I think it is almost certain we are going to start Kaden Shedrick.  He is a true center and it lets us start Disu at the 4.  He didn't leave a starting role at Virginia to come here and play off the bench.

• G - Hunter (if he returns)
  • G - Amas
  • G/F - TBD - Weaver (small) or Cunningham (big) or Mitchell (if he returns) or TBD from the portal
  • F - Disu
  • C - Shedrick

-----------------------------------------

• G - Weaver
  • F - Cunningham 
  • F - Onyema
  • F - Anamekwe

We would definitely still need at least one more wing/big guard who could play the 3 in a small lineup, but the thing I like most about our current roster construction is we will have a lot of versatility come tournament time. 

We can play an extremely big lineup with Shedrick,  Disu, Cunningham, go small with 3 guards, or anywhere in between. Beard’s last two teams have been short on big men, and it’s hurt us both years in the tournament. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, HookEm said:

Probably better to discuss here than in the Portal or Recruiting threads, but I am continually amazed at the lack of respect that Cunningham gets.  Any talk of having him in the starting lineup inevitably leads to comments like "we're fucked".  I have to assume these are casual observers who only look at individual scoring metrics.  My observation has been that Cunningham contributed more to winning than just about any player on the team last year.

This site has some interesting stats on player offensive and defensive rating and accounts for the impact a player has when they are on the court (and normalizes it vs the strength of the other team's players)  https://evanmiya.com/

image.thumb.png.db5604983625e43705b38cba646c85fe.png

Cunningham rated as our best player in total Bayesian Performance Rating last year (and the #34 player in the country).  He had our 2nd best Offensive rating (behind Rice) and our best Defensive rating.  If you just look at the "Box" ratings, Cunningham doesn't fare as well (3rd on offense, 6th on defense). This is because a ton of the stuff he does that helps the team doesn't show up on the box score - things like skip passes, screens, tipped out rebounds, defensive help, box outs where someone else rebounds, etc. 

Combining both offense and defense team efficiency, Brock ranked as the #18 player in the country last year.  On offense, Texas scored 117.8 points per 100 possessions with Cunningham on the court.  (Contrast that with 105.4 points per 100 possessions with Arterio Morris on the court.)  He was also #2 on the team in +/-.

With another year of offseason work, I see no reason that Brock won't come back as an even better player.  I would love to see him get 25 mpg this year.  Team Cunningham.

His 3 point shot improved noticeably last year. If he can take another step forward this offseason, he’ll be an extremely effective player for us. 

If Hunter comes back and we get Weaver and Rodman, this team is looking pretty good.

But do we really have minutes for them all to come here? Abmas averaged 36 minutes last year, Weaver 30, Hunter 30, and Sellers 30. Minutes get tight there even if we ran a 3 guard lineup all the time.