2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Woof, just noticed that Pena has overtaken Bregman for lowest BA in the lineup. 0/15 over the last 3.

Pena: 4/25 (.160) with 2 RBI, 1 2B, 0 HR. 2 BB/7 K.

Bregman: 4/24 (.167) with 0 RBI, 0 2B, 0 HR, 3 BB/7 K.

Guys, I think I may have found an issue. Hear me out, but there's a school of thought in advanced baseball theory that says you don't really want to have the top 2 spots in your lineup be absolutely atrocious.

• Haha 1

Lol, just re-watched Bregman's hit this game. Missed it originally. Season in a nutshell so far. 

Solid  drive to the Crawford Boxes. Misses a HR by 1/4 inch, ball careens right into the LF's glove as he's running towards infield. Thrown out at 2B by a good 4-5 steps.

Edited by Storm the Field

Yeah it feels like more of they’re playing like shit/not getting breaks thing rather than the team isn’t very good. 

They’re doing themselves no favors with the bottom of the lineup, but Maldy and Dubon have been playing better than normal. I like batting Pena lead off because he has to focus on getting on base for the first time in his career. Should pay dividends down the road. 

The bullpen hasn’t been good. That will go back to being a team strength very soon. Kalas and Blum were bitching about 25 man rosters in April and how teams should be allowed to carry two extra pitchers. Cry me a river. The Astros don’t need to carry a third catcher if Salazar is never going to play. 

No problems with the starting pitching thus far. Not great but above average. I am concerned that JV masked some issues in the rotation. Maybe Framber is a really good 2, but necessarily an ace. Or Javier is an awesome 3, but maybe not an elite 2. And so on and so on. Getting McCullers back will help, but I’m not sure how much. He’s at best an above average 3. I guess Brown and Javier are your ace upside plays. 

They kind of feel like a 90-95 win type team, and that’s OK. Just get hot in October. 

• Like 1

Bottom of the lineup is a colossal black hole. Dubon, Julks, Diaz, Maldy and especially Myers shouldnt be rostered. I get the whole Maldy pitch calling thing but damn...Hensley and Chas need to be in the lineup every day, at least they arent negative WAR players. When Altuve went down they should have been all over Profar, hes a better outfielder than dubon and can ACTUALLY play second. That said, it hasnt even been a week yet, I am completely unconcerned

• Haha 1

Listening to the mlb radio on the way to airport this morning they were pimpin how everyyyyything offensively is up....BA, OPS, Steals, HRs blah blah blah.

Astros must be the fucking exception cause there are teams that have hit as many homers as we have total...in one inning

• Hook 'Em 1

We’ll find our groove. Keep giving the young guys at bats. Julks had a multi hit game. We need to give him, Diaz and Helmsley as many at bats as possible before Altuve and brantley come back 

The black hole is at the top of the line up. Im much more worried about pena (Soph slump) at the plate + he’s looked a little sloppy in the field 

SP will keep stretching out and the BP will tighten up . I can’t remember one loss from last april

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

Bottom of the lineup is a colossal black hole. Dubon, Julks, Diaz, Maldy and especially Myers shouldnt be rostered. I get the whole Maldy pitch calling thing but damn...Hensley and Chas need to be in the lineup every day, at least they arent negative WAR players. When Altuve went down they should have been all over Profar, hes a better outfielder than dubon and can ACTUALLY play second. That said, it hasnt even been a week yet, I am completely unconcerned

this isn’t the week to stop sniffing glue !

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

Diaz needs to stay up and be regularly in the lineup. He can flat out hit and he will get there quickly in the majors if they'll just let him play. I agree with everything else. 

46 minutes ago, huge said:

The usual suspects are always negative when things are not going well.  Its part of the charm* of the thread.

*bitchassedness

I'm not usually negative. I've watched 80+ games every season of my cognizant life. When they weren't on tv and were willingly losing 100+ games, I focused on the minors to not get depressed. I don't think I am the only person looking at this team right now and thinking that they're fucked if Baker is allowed to keep doing what he is doing.

Dubon could be cut today and not make another MLB roster ever again. If he does, it'll last as an experiment for 2-3 weeks. He's unredeemable. Absolute trash and he should be washing cars somewhere. 

Julks is a AAAA player. Taylor Jones. Royce Huffman. GTFO and off the roster. I couldn't believe they put him on the 40. Someone asked who else should be on the roster instead and I'd take anyone with upside including the dude who showed out last year and in the spring. I don't care if that guy tailed off towards the end of spring. 

Maldonado is a regrettable sacred cow within the org and on this site. Lee and Diaz should be getting 90% of the work now. Maldonado is a nice guy? Fucking great. They should let him be a Diamond Club greeter or some shit. His performance last night was a fucking joke behind the plate. 

Jake Meyers is a fringe player who looks like he's lost all of his pop. He should be giving guys a rest about every 6th day.

None of those things are going to get better throughout the course of this season. Maldonado's offensive production has probably apexed for the year in the first 6 games. When these 4 idiots are in the lineup together, they're losing 9 out of 10 games. 

Bullpens regress year over year. This bullpen looks like dogshit. Maybe that gets turned around. Let's hope so. At least there is some hope on that one.

Baker's approach to lineup management has got to fucking change until Altuve is back, much less Brantley. 

Y'all can archive this and tell me what a fucking idiot I am when nothing changes from Baker and the team is better than 25 and 30 in late May. I'll be happy if that is the case. I actually think 25-30 is an optimistic w/l outlook before JA's return without material behavioral changes from a septuagenarian who was just rewarded immensely for doing what he's doing right now. I like Dusty, but this year ain't that year. Texas opened the 2010 season 3-0 and those of us who were handwringing were told we were being negative and things were the same as they ever were. 

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Diaz needs to stay up and be regularly in the lineup. He can flat out hit and he will get there quickly in the majors if they'll just let him play. I agree with everything else. 

I'm not usually negative. I've watched 80+ games every season of my cognizant life. When they weren't on tv and were willingly losing 100+ games, I focused on the minors to not get depressed. I don't think I am the only person looking at this team right now and thinking that they're fucked if Baker is allowed to keep doing what he is doing.

Dubon could be cut today and not make another MLB roster ever again. If he does, it'll last as an experiment for 2-3 weeks. He's unredeemable. Absolute trash and he should be washing cars somewhere. 

Julks is a AAAA player. Taylor Jones. Royce Huffman. GTFO and off the roster. I couldn't believe they put him on the 40. Someone asked who else should be on the roster instead and I'd take anyone with upside including the dude who showed out last year and in the spring. I don't care if that guy tailed off towards the end of spring. 

Maldonado is a regrettable sacred cow within the org and on this site. Lee and Diaz should be getting 90% of the work now. Maldonado is a nice guy? Fucking great. They should let him be a Diamond Club greeter or some shit. His performance last night was a fucking joke behind the plate. 

Jake Meyers is a fringe player who looks like he's lost all of his pop. He should be giving guys a rest about every 6th day.

None of those things are going to get better throughout the course of this season. Maldonado's offensive production has probably apexed for the year in the first 6 games. When these 4 idiots are in the lineup together, they're losing 9 out of 10 games. 

Bullpens regress year over year. This bullpen looks like dogshit. Maybe that gets turned around. Let's hope so. At least there is some hope on that one.

Baker's approach to lineup management has got to fucking change until Altuve is back, much less Brantley. 

Y'all can archive this and tell me what a fucking idiot I am when nothing changes from Baker and the team is better than 25 and 30 in late May. I'll be happy if that is the case. I actually think 25-30 is an optimistic w/l outlook before JA's return without material behavioral changes from a septuagenarian who was just rewarded immensely for doing what he's doing right now. I like Dusty, but this year ain't that year. Texas opened the 2010 season 3-0 and those of us who were handwringing were told we were being negative and things were the same as they ever were. 

They have 156 games to figure it out.

I'll be happy if we can hover around .500 untll Altuve gets back. 

30 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Archived.

Julks had 30 HR and 20 SB last season in AAA.  His exit velos and speed stats back those up.  It’s not like they promoted a shitty player.  He might end up being a AAAA player, but drawing conclusions from 16 pa is fucking stupid.

Dubon has yet to strike out or make an error this season.

One thing I agree with all the pussies on this thread on is that losing Altuve and Brantley really highlights Maldonado’s offensive shortcomings.  It’s one thing to have an automatic out in the 9 hole when you have 6 star hitters and 2 more above average hitters.  It is another when you have 4 good hitters and not much else.  To that end I’d like to see more of a 60/40 split between Maldonado and Diaz until Altuve gets back, and more of having Diaz pinch hit for Maldy in games they fall behind.

We are still at least 2 weeks away from knowing shit about fuck.

6 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Archived.

Julks had 30 HR and 20 SB last season in AAA.  His exit velos and speed stats back those up.  It’s not like they promoted a shitty player.  He might end up being a AAAA player, but drawing conclusions from 16 pa is fucking stupid.

One thing I agree with all the pussies on this thread on is that losing Altuve and Brantley really highlights Maldonado’s offensive shortcomings.  It’s one thing to have an automatic out in the 9 hole when you have 6 star hitters and 2 more above average hitters.  It is another when you have 4 good hitters and not much else.  To that end I’d like to see more of a 60/40 split between Maldonado and Diaz until Altuve gets back, and more of having Diaz pinch hit for Maldy in games they fall behind.

I would just as soon see the band aid ripped off right now and see the split 3/4 in Diaz favor while those guys are out. That would be a good and decent sample size with him as the bat and glove to see if catcher is going to work or not. Use this as an opportunity to sink or swim.

The lineup is fine when its Hensley and Chas in there. Not great, but not terrible.  If you went something like:

Bregman/Alvarez/Abreu/Tucker/Hensley/Chas/Pena/Julks/Diaz more times than not I doubt there would be near as much hand wringing or concern trolling or anything like that. That lineup looks like you want to win a game and are trying to score more than a couple runs.  What we've been trotting out there with  Julks/Meyers/Dubon/Maldy at the back end just isn't going to work unless and until Pena and Bregman also get their heads out of their asses, which- who knows when.  

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Archived.

I know what Julks has done in the minors, same as you. I’m not basing anything off of 16 abs. The guy is a 4A player. You like arbitrage and enjoy when the Astros are rewarded for going left when every other team goes right, especially in talent acquisition. That’s great and I get it, but this is your new AJ Reed. 

Dubon made an error last night that they turned into a hit. This is a 3 true outcomes era and you’re valuing the fact that a lightweight slaphitting bum hasn’t k’d. He didn’t k in the 7th last night, unfortunately. That GIDP sure wasn’t predictable. 

If they cut Maldonado today, they’d have a better team tomorrow. He’s going full Gurriel this year if he’s not actually going to play defense. 

Archive this one too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Actually mistyped on Diaz. I meant Salazar 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

When these 4 idiots are in the lineup together, they're losing 9 out of 10 games. 

I will just go ahead and disagree with this hyperbole.  Plenty of teams have detritus on their rosters.  And your negativity is part of your charm.

2 minutes ago, huge said:

I will just go ahead and disagree with this hyperbole.  Plenty of teams *that don’t make the playoffs* have detritus on their rosters.  And your negativity is part of your charm.

You had an incomplete sentence in this post, so I fixed it for you. 

Edited by closetojumping
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Archived.

The friendly scorer might have overturned Dubon's error the other night, but it led to a run for the Tigers.

I mean, the lineup is fine (with Chas, Hensley, maybe Diaz) if the pitching is what it was in 2022; problem is, it almost certainly will not be that good.

Regression from the pitching staff (which is a near certainty) can be overcome with a better offense; problem is, we’re replacing an MVP-caliber player with Dubon and Hensley, and are rotating quad-A players in the DH spot (to go along with the C who can’t hit and the SS who isn’t a good offensive player either).

There is nothing hyperbolic, or even pessimistic, about stating that this team/roster is clearly worse than last year’s, because it is probable that the pitching results will be significantly worse and the offense is unlikely to offset that regression. This just doesn’t seem controversial.

• Hook 'Em 1

Fwiw, both Correa and Conforto (the latter my favored free agent pickup over Brantley) both have mid .500’s OPS, obviously small sample sizes for everyone.  

I also supported taking a flyer on Bellinger and he’s doing better than everyone mentioned with a .650 OPS.

TLDR: maybe we need to see more than 1.5 series of data before we jump to conclusions. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, RGBIII said:

When Altuve went down they should have been all over Profar, hes a better outfielder than dubon and can ACTUALLY play second. 

I mean, Profar's hitting .091 through 11 ABs and a .258 OPS and he's had a negative dWAR pretty much his entire career.  

In 15 ABs Dubon (who sucks shit through a straw to be fair) is hitting .200 in 15 ABs with a .450 OPS and has had a positive dWAR every year of his career.