2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

6 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

I've been critical of many hitters this year, but haven't really said anything about Bregman. Now batting. 249, which is pathetic. He hit .259, .270, and .242 the last 3 years. I rarely read any criticism about him, but those numbers send most hitters to the bench, or the minors. 

Jon Singleton would literally murder your entire family to put up numbers like that. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

9C2B6B4C-9124-4A46-A7BA-A0D490943C19.gif.d3ae80e428d7f5a6d311dbea2ea7eabd.gif

.270 would have damn near led the league a few years ago

3 minutes ago, WBT said:

7th in baseball in 3B WAR, basically tied with Machado and Jung.  I wish he'd go back to hitting like 2019 too but you need to tap the brakes a little imo.

Both fair points

7 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Don't worry he is playing himself out of being resigned. (Yes i know he still has 1 more year) His next contract money is slowly siphoning out to Tuckers offer

Unfortunately we are not going to even get close to Tucker’s number. We don’t sign monster contracts. And he deserves a monster contract  

My favorite player will end up with the Mets/Yankees/Dodgers/Padres

16 minutes ago, WBT said:

7th in baseball in 3B WAR, basically tied with Machado and Jung.  I wish he'd go back to hitting like 2019 too but you need to tap the brakes a little imo.

I think he's had too many injuries to hit at that level again. I will take a .800 OPS along with above average defense. Chas and Bregman should be flipped in the lineup. The problem is that Bregman shouldn't just be defaulted in as a Top 4-5 hitter anymore.

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I think he's had too many injuries to hit at that level again. I will take a .800 OPS along with above average defense. Chas and Bregman should be flipped in the lineup. The problem is that Bregman shouldn't just be defaulted in as a Top 4-5 hitter anymore.

The juiced balls helped his borderline power more than most also.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, cabowabo said:

A big fuck you to the Angels for deciding they need to rest Ohtani’s arm during the Ranger series. Not trading him was one of the dumbest decisions in the history of baseball, but what do you expect from the fucking Angels. What a joke of a franchise. 

Has to be the worst francise to he a fan of. What's worse? Pirates? Rockies?

Just now, texashorne said:

Has to be the worst francise to he a fan of. What's worse? Pirates? Rockies?

Nah. Angels. Having Trout, the best player in baseball only to be supplanted by Ohtani has to be some kind of mindf'ck.

That would be something akin to a mid 90's braves rotation never going to the playoffs or doing anything of note.

I’d still try to extend Bregman, assuming he’d sign a reasonable deal. He’s almost certainly never going to have another season like ‘18 or ‘19. You also won’t have to pay him like that.

He’s probably mostly like what he’s done this season, which may feel disappointing, but he’s going to finish up at around 3.5 WAR and he’s probably a 3-4 win player for each of  the next several seasons, 10-20% better than league average offensively. Who would you rather have at 3B? There probably isn’t a solution in the farm system by 2025, so you’re looking at signing a FA anyway, or acquiring someone via a trade, which generally means losing controllable assets; more often than not I’d rather they just spend money. 

• Hook 'Em 6

17 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I’d still try to extend Bregman, assuming he’d sign a reasonable deal. He’s almost certainly never going to have another season like ‘18 or ‘19. You also won’t have to pay him like that.

He’s probably mostly like what he’s done this season, which may feel disappointing, but he’s going to finish up at around 3.5 WAR and he’s probably a 3-4 win player for each of  the next several seasons, 10-20% better than league average offensively. Who would you rather have at 3B? There probably isn’t a solution in the farm system by 2025, so you’re looking at signing a FA anyway, or acquiring someone via a trade, which generally means losing controllable assets; more often than not I’d rather they just spend money. 

This. And Altuve has to be a lifetime Astro as well. Hopefully both are reasonable contracts.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

"He might be able to play today. It's day-to-day and he told me he feels fine. He was walking out of the stadium  just fine as well." - Dana Brown on Jose Altuve's knee contusion.

on 790 this morning. For some reason I can’t get tweets to imbed last couple days.

Dana said that? Shit, it’s bad then and he’s out for the year 

Even if he is ok Grandpa Baker will probably sit him.....and Yordan today....cause you know they need rest days since off tomorrow.

Channeling my inner dipshit I wouldn't be shocked if it is:

Dubon CF
Bregman 3b
Tucker RF
Diaz DH
Chas LF
Singleton 1B
Pena SS
Kessinger 2B
MaShitty C

Hopefully not

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

4 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Loperfido would be the guy you'd target to replace him in 2025 I think.  But, I think I'd really rather Bregman come back and have Loperfido play 1b, because that's a black hole. He could also play 2nd, but if we let Altuve go I will be shocked and crushed.  
Bregman seems like a guy that you want to pay 150 and he will want 200 or 210. I'd be comfortable with 7/150 but I think he thinks of himself as a 7/210 type guy.  

I'd do 6/140 or probably even 6/150.  Anything more than that and it's probably time to say bye. I think someone else will give him at least 180, maybe 200.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Scraps said:

Even if he is ok Grandpa Baker will probably sit him.....and Yordan today....cause you know they need rest days since off tomorrow.

Dubon CF
Bregman 3b
Tucker RF
Diaz DH
Chas LF
Singleton 1B
Pena SS
Kessinger 2B
MaShitty C

Hopefully not

That is so gross I think it's the winner.  Only problem is you have to hit Chas lower- like 7th.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Loperfido would be the guy you'd target to replace him in 2025 I think.  But, I think I'd really rather Bregman come back and have Loperfido play 1b, because that's a black hole. He could also play 2nd, but if we let Altuve go I will be shocked and crushed.  
Bregman seems like a guy that you want to pay 150 and he will want 200 or 210. I'd be comfortable with 7/150 but I think he thinks of himself as a 7/210 type guy.  

I'd do 6/140 or probably even 6/150.  Anything more than that and it's probably time to say bye. I think someone else will give him at least 180, maybe 200.  

Can Loperfido play 3B? I thought they really liked him in CF and 1B?

4 minutes ago, Scraps said:

I think swapping with Jon is only scenario, but I was giving Gramps a break that maybe he realized Chas hit a homer yesterday or something

That usually puts him on the bench.

2 hours ago, Scraps said:

Dubon CF
Bregman 3b
Tucker RF
Diaz DH
Chas LF
Singleton 1B
Pena SS
Kessinger 2B
MaShitty C

Hopefully not

That looks exactly right 

53 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Can Loperfido play 3B? I thought they really liked him in CF and 1B?

That usually puts him on the bench.

He can play 2b and does regularly, I'd assume he can play 3B if he can play up the middle competently.  Like I said- 1b would be my preference for him if he's a dude- but if anyone in the org is playing 3b well in 2025 it's probably him?  Will Wagner?  Best to pay Bregman if it's not absurd.  For both parties I'd think. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

He can play 2b and does regularly, I'd assume he can play 3B if he can play up the middle competently.  Like I said- 1b would be my preference for him if he's a dude- but if anyone in the org is playing 3b well in 2025 it's probably him?  Will Wagner?  Best to pay Bregman if it's not absurd.  For both parties I'd think. 

I am on the Wagner train as well, but his injuries this year really set him back, even still. a .900+ OPS in his 29 healthy AA games is very strong. He's also played 3B professionally. Also, Whitcomb (28 bombs) and Dezenzo play there as well.