45 indicated

Cairn Horn88

There's not any evidence, whether real or fabricated.  Him announcing he's going to have some great reveal on Newsmax a week from now is just so MAGA has talking points amongst their silo and so they feel good about dropping $2-10 into the grift bucket. Because for them the only words from that tweet that have any meaning are "evidence" and "stollen".

They are too dumb for nuance or full sentences.

Edited by Old Freak Nasty
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

So….the absurdist satire that Three Year Letterman posts as jokes…Drumpf’s attorneys say for real.
When your lawyers say shit thats indistinguishable from a satire account…you might be a Dotard.

Well....Three Year Letterman is an attorney in real life....

• Haha 1

He’s getting pretty close. It won’t be long now:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-georgia-indictment-riggers-b2393425.html

There will be a complete EXONERATION!" Mr Trump wrote of his upcoming presser. "They never went after those that Rigged the Election. They only went after those that found to find the RIGGERS!." 

Whether or not Mr Trump intended to describe his political enemies using a word that is one letter away from being an exceptionally offensive slur is unclear. What is clear is that plenty of observers noted his use of the word.

Arieh Kovler, a current affairs and politics writer, collected a sampling of responses from a group of Trump supporters who post anonymously at a Reddit-like forum. 

"I don't know if Trump deliberately uses 'RIGGERS!' as a dog-whistle, but his supporters hear it either way," he wrote. “Worth noting here that the ‘riggers’ as a racist codeword has been used for a while in MAGA circles.”

Mr Kovler included a screenshot from the site showing one user who said "I love [Trump] so much" because "he just used the word RIGGERS!"

• Rage+1 1

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/08/15/special-counsel-obtained-trump-twitter-howell-00111410

Special counsel Jack Smith obtained an extraordinary array of data from Twitter about Donald Trump’s account — from direct messages to draft tweets to location data — newly unsealed court filings reveal.

But it took a bruising battle with Twitter’s attorneys in January and February — punctuated by a blistering analysis by a federal judge, who wondered whether Elon Musk was attempting to “cozy up” to the former president by resisting the special counsel’s demands — before prosecutors got the goods.

Ultimately, U.S. District Judge Beryl Howell held Twitter (now known as X) in contempt of court in February, fining the company $350,000 for missing a court-ordered deadline to comply with Smith’s search warrant. But the newly unsealed transcripts of the proceedings in her courtroom show that the fine was the least of the punishment. Howell lit into Twitter for taking “extraordinary” and apparently unprecedented steps to give Trump advance notice about the search warrant — despite prosecutors’ warnings, backed by unspecified evidence, that notifying Trump could cause grave damage to their investigation.

“Is this to make Donald Trump feel like he is a particularly welcomed new renewed user of Twitter?” Howell asked.

“Twitter has no interest other than litigation its constitutional rights,” replied attorney George Varghese of WilmerHale, the firm Twitter deploys for much of its litigation.

Spoiler

But Howell returned to the theme repeatedly during the proceedings, wondering why the company was taking “momentous” steps to protect Trump that it had never taken for other uses. In the hearing on Feb. 7, 2023, Howell referenced Musk, asking: “Is it because the new CEO wants to cozy up with the former president?”

The new documents also detail the painstaking categories of data investigators were seeking from Trump’s account, offering remarkable detail about an intensely secretive aspect of Smith’s probe of Trump’s bid to subvert the 2020 election.

Howell pressed the company on who held the keys to Trump’s newly reinstated Twitter account — a group that apparently included Trump’s list of representatives to the National Archives.

Twitter attorneys also revealed that Trump’s account sent “some volume” of direct messages that prosecutors were working to obtain.

Among the data the search warrant commanded Twitter to produce:

— Accounts associated with @realdonaldtrump that the former president might have used in the same device.

— Devices used to log into the @realdonaldtrump account

— IP addresses used to log into the account between October 2020 and January 2021.

— Privacy settings and history

— All tweets “created, drafted, favorited/liked, or retweeted” by @realdonaldtrump, including any subsequently deleted.

— All direct messages “sent from, received by, stored in draft form in, or otherwise associated with” @realdonaldtrump

— All records of searches from October 2020 to January 2021

— Location information for the user of @realdonaldtrump from October 2020 to January 2021

The bulk of the battle focused on prosecutors’ demand that Twitter abide by a “nondisclosure” order and refrain from notifying Trump about the search warrant prosecutors had obtained. Twitter raised concerns that prosecutors were seeking data that could be covered by executive privilege — a contention that drew incredulous responses from both prosecutors and the judge, who said Trump was unlikely to be doing government business with senior aides via Twitter DM.

In addition, Howell emphasized that Twitter had little to no insight into the evidence prosecutors relied on to obtain the warrant or the details of their acute concerns that notifying Trump could endanger the investigation and result in harm or intimidation to witnesses.

“You don’t even know the half about the very warrant you are coming in here to delay the execution of,” Howell said.

Prosecutors emphasized repeatedly that they had evidence — not just based on public information — that disclosing the search warrant to Trump could jeopardize their probe.

“There actually are concrete cognizable reasons to think that if the former president had notice of these covert investigative steps, there would be actual harm and concern for the investigation, for the witnesses going forward,” said Gregory Bernstein, a member of the special counsel team.

Howell pressed Bernstein to respond to Twitter’s contention that Trump likely wouldn’t take steps against witnesses because so much of the special counsel’s work was publicly known and reported in the news.

“First, they don’t know anything. I mean, they know some stuff. They know what they have read in the newspapers,” Bernstein said. “But they’re making these confident factual assertions without knowing the actual facts of the investigation.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

Miscellaneous Slates, sir?

”there is a little known codicil in the American Constitutional Charter giving the Senate Parliamentarian unlimited power in times of campus crisis.  It’s time for someone to put their foot down and that foot is Pence!”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Prosecutorial discretion, they don’t go after the oddball lunatics that don’t pose a real threat to democracy with rando electors thrown in here and there by obvious whackos so they should drop the cases against us who swore and oath and posed an actual clear and present danger to the constitution. 

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

lol, is this recent?  I love how they are just throwing ANYTHING they can think of against the wall to see if it will stick.  Seems like if this were AT ALL true (nevermind whether it actually matters) that they may have said that, I don't know, sometime sooner than TWO AND A HALF YEARS after the fact?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/08/15/special-counsel-obtained-trump-twitter-howell-00111410

Hide contents

But Howell returned to the theme repeatedly during the proceedings, wondering why the company was taking “momentous” steps to protect Trump that it had never taken for other uses. In the hearing on Feb. 7, 2023, Howell referenced Musk, asking: “Is it because the new CEO wants to cozy up with the former president?”

The new documents also detail the painstaking categories of data investigators were seeking from Trump’s account, offering remarkable detail about an intensely secretive aspect of Smith’s probe of Trump’s bid to subvert the 2020 election.

Howell pressed the company on who held the keys to Trump’s newly reinstated Twitter account — a group that apparently included Trump’s list of representatives to the National Archives.

Twitter attorneys also revealed that Trump’s account sent “some volume” of direct messages that prosecutors were working to obtain.

Among the data the search warrant commanded Twitter to produce:

— Accounts associated with @realdonaldtrump that the former president might have used in the same device.

— Devices used to log into the @realdonaldtrump account

— IP addresses used to log into the account between October 2020 and January 2021.

— Privacy settings and history

— All tweets “created, drafted, favorited/liked, or retweeted” by @realdonaldtrump, including any subsequently deleted.

— All direct messages “sent from, received by, stored in draft form in, or otherwise associated with” @realdonaldtrump

— All records of searches from October 2020 to January 2021

— Location information for the user of @realdonaldtrump from October 2020 to January 2021

The bulk of the battle focused on prosecutors’ demand that Twitter abide by a “nondisclosure” order and refrain from notifying Trump about the search warrant prosecutors had obtained. Twitter raised concerns that prosecutors were seeking data that could be covered by executive privilege — a contention that drew incredulous responses from both prosecutors and the judge, who said Trump was unlikely to be doing government business with senior aides via Twitter DM.

In addition, Howell emphasized that Twitter had little to no insight into the evidence prosecutors relied on to obtain the warrant or the details of their acute concerns that notifying Trump could endanger the investigation and result in harm or intimidation to witnesses.

“You don’t even know the half about the very warrant you are coming in here to delay the execution of,” Howell said.

Prosecutors emphasized repeatedly that they had evidence — not just based on public information — that disclosing the search warrant to Trump could jeopardize their probe.

“There actually are concrete cognizable reasons to think that if the former president had notice of these covert investigative steps, there would be actual harm and concern for the investigation, for the witnesses going forward,” said Gregory Bernstein, a member of the special counsel team.

Howell pressed Bernstein to respond to Twitter’s contention that Trump likely wouldn’t take steps against witnesses because so much of the special counsel’s work was publicly known and reported in the news.

“First, they don’t know anything. I mean, they know some stuff. They know what they have read in the newspapers,” Bernstein said. “But they’re making these confident factual assertions without knowing the actual facts of the investigation.”

Absolutely none of this shocks me

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Fair question, but a couple of things that may or may not have dawned on him.  He's going to actually have to sit through his criminal trials, unlike his few civil trials that he can't be assed to attend.  He's probably going to have to sit through some motion hearings too.

He's probably never experienced such an imposition.

I'm just hoping his MAGA brain interprets the proceeding as a presidential briefing and after about 3 minutes he just casually gets up and attempts to walk out of the room. 

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

9 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Fair question, but a couple of things that may or may not have dawned on him.  He's going to actually have to sit through his criminal trials, unlike his few civil trials that he can't be assed to attend.  He's probably going to have to sit through some motion hearings too.

He's probably never experienced such an imposition.

He should attend his criminal trials, but he doesn't have to.

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

As a reminder:

How Rogue Agents in the FBI's NY Field Office Helped Elect Trump | Washington Monthly

I was concerned that there appeared to be in the media a number of stories that might have been based on communications reporters or nonreporters like Rudy Giuliani were having with people in the New York field office. In particular, in I want to say mid October, maybe a little bit later, Mr. Giuliani was making statements that appeared to be based on his knowledge of workings inside the FBI New York. And then my recollection is there were other stories that were in the same ballpark that gave me a general concern that we may have a leak problem — unauthorized disclosure problem out of New York, and so I asked that it be investigated.

• Rage+1 1

Charles McGonigal, former special agent in charge of counterintelligence at the FBI’s New York office, told the court he received $17,500 from Deripaska, laundered from Gazprom Bank in Russia to Cyprus to a business bank account in New Jersey and then McGonigal's private account.

Amazing he could be bought so cheaply. Must have been a bunch of other shit and he flipped for reduced charges

7 hours ago, Satchel said:

He’s getting pretty close. It won’t be long now:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-georgia-indictment-riggers-b2393425.html

There will be a complete EXONERATION!" Mr Trump wrote of his upcoming presser. "They never went after those that Rigged the Election. They only went after those that found to find the RIGGERS!." 

Whether or not Mr Trump intended to describe his political enemies using a word that is one letter away from being an exceptionally offensive slur is unclear. What is clear is that plenty of observers noted his use of the word.

Arieh Kovler, a current affairs and politics writer, collected a sampling of responses from a group of Trump supporters who post anonymously at a Reddit-like forum. 

"I don't know if Trump deliberately uses 'RIGGERS!' as a dog-whistle, but his supporters hear it either way," he wrote. “Worth noting here that the ‘riggers’ as a racist codeword has been used for a while in MAGA circles.”

Mr Kovler included a screenshot from the site showing one user who said "I love [Trump] so much" because "he just used the word RIGGERS!"

0d1nv3of7y051.jpg

• Haha 2

Charles McGonigal, former special agent in charge of counterintelligence at the FBI’s New York office, told the court he received $17,500 from Deripaska, laundered from Gazprom Bank in Russia to Cyprus to a business bank account in New Jersey and then McGonigal's private account.
Amazing he could be bought so cheaply. Must have been a bunch of other shit and he flipped for reduced charges

It continues to be depressingly disturbing that the price point for these traitors is so damn low…

$17-5 for a critical FBI agent
$20k for a Congress critter
$15k for a Governor

It’s petty graft alllll the way down.
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

$17,500 to coerce an FBI agent to sell out our government to Russia?  Seriously?  

That's it?  That's impossible.  Plus, nobody in that position would ever suggest price.  And I honestly doubt it went down like this:

"No way we're giving you $20,000.  We'll do $15,000 to connect us to the Russian Oligarch."

"Fine.  Let's meet in the middle, $17,500 then."

"17,500 to compromise the Republic?  Okay, that seems reasonable.  $20,000 was just a bridge too far and I apologize for insulting you with the $15k offer."  

Looking at the Jenna Ellis posts, stacked on top of every other photo of a Trump attorney in action....every fucking single photo of one of Trump's attorneys is just another permutation of this:

b7e.jpg

Am I pissed off that our Republic is and has been under relentless attack by those who would overthrow it and turn it into a fascist authoritarian hellscape?  Absolutely.

Am I even MORE pissed that the attackers are a bunch of fucking clowns, castoffs, and no-talent grifting hacks, who STILL have a real chance of succeeding?  Yep.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Am I pissed off that our Republic is and has been under relentless attack by those who would overthrow it and turn it into a fascist authoritarian hellscape?  Absolutely.

Am I even MORE pissed that the attackers are a bunch of fucking clowns, castoffs, and no-talent grifting hacks, who STILL have a real chance of succeeding?  Yep.

How pissed are you that so many of Trump’s co-conspirators are lawyers or have law degrees?

“I understood what my actions have resulted in, and I am deeply remorseful for it,” McGonigal said. “I appear before you in this court to take full responsibility as my actions never intended to hurt the United States, the FBI and my family and friends.”

Oh Sure John Candy GIF - Oh Sure John Candy Ok - Discover & Share GIFs

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

How pissed are you that so many of Trump’s co-conspirators are lawyers or have law degrees?

As a lowly law clerk, I discovered that a shitload of lawyers are complete and total morons.  I was handed an appellate brief, and told to come up with our response arguments to it.  I read it.  I go back into the partner-in-charge, and ask "are you serious?  This is a real brief, written by a licensed attorney?"  He chuckles.  "Brisket, you're gonna learn that there are a lot of really terrible lawyers out there practicing law.  This guy is just one of them."

What has changed -- and this is true beyond people in the legal profession -- is that there is now a path to wealth and fame for no-talent moronic hacks.  "Sell the MAGA masses what they want to hear."  That's it.  That's all you gotta do.  Do that, and absolute fucking idiots can become leading public figures.

Dan-Bongino-rips-NY-Times-for-equating-f

gettyimages-diamondsilkjpg.jpg

So, I mean....no reason my brethren and sistren of minimal talent in the legal profession shouldn't get in on the grift, too.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

For all my alleged defense of lawyers, a lot of them are flaming assholes and surprisingly ignorant given their ostensible education.

I actually affirmatively don't like about half the lawyers I have encountered in life. I can't say the same about most of the engineers I've encountered and I have occasion to encounter a lot of them, too.

• Hook 'Em 2

This has already been mentioned in this thread.  Still.

But it took a bruising battle with Twitter’s attorneys in January and February — punctuated by a blistering analysis by a federal judge, who wondered whether Elon Musk was attempting to “cozy up” to the former president by resisting the special counsel’s demands — before prosecutors got the goods.

Ultimately, U.S. District Judge Beryl Howell held Twitter (now known as X) in contempt of court in February, fining the company $350,000 for missing a court-ordered deadline to comply with Smith’s search warrant. But the newly unsealed transcripts of the proceedings in her courtroom show that the fine was the least of the punishment. Howell lit into Twitter for taking “extraordinary” and apparently unprecedented steps to give Trump advance notice about the search warrant — despite prosecutors’ warnings, backed by unspecified evidence, that notifying Trump could cause grave damage to their investigation.

“Is this to make Donald Trump feel like he is a particularly welcomed new renewed user of Twitter?” Howell asked.

It is befuddling to me that so many here continue to use that platform and repost items from it.  The anti-LGBTQ stuff wasn't enough I guess.  Making fun (rightly) of  Elon and then continuing to essentially drive traffic to X seems a bit contradictory. While I'm at it, I wish some of you would start a Ron F thread so you can just repost all his stuff there.   A good chunk of this thread seems to be let's re-tweet (re-X?) Ron F. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

This has already been mentioned in this thread.  Still.

It is befuddling to me that so many here continue to use that platform and repost items from it.  The anti-LGBTQ stuff wasn't enough I guess.  Making fun (rightly) of  Elon and then continuing to essentially drive traffic to X seems a bit contradictory. While I'm at it, I wish some of you would start a Ron F thread so you can just repost all his stuff there.   A good chunk of this thread seems to be let's re-tweet (re-X?) Ron F. 

I will add one additional observation.

A lot of social media and tech platforms take some amount of pride in protecting their users from government inquiries, whether they are Donald Trump or you or me.

So, there was probably a bit of a dual motivation here:  "cozying up" to Trump and at least some notional protection of users from government inquiries, so they can say "use our platform, we'll keep you safe from the government!"

• blacklab changed the title to 45 indicated