45 indicated

Cairn Horn88

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Tv Land Teacher GIF by Teachers on TV Land

You have both hit on something a lot of people are missing when it comes to who is and isn't helping Trump or who is criticizing him, and Chip Roy's comments about Trump basically hiding out in a basement because he's scared of DeSantis got me thinking.

All of those justices (including the Supreme Court) that ruled against Trump in the dozens of election cases his campaign/followers filed?  Trump couldn't fire them and can't primary them.

Chris Christie, Nikki Haley, Ron DeSantis?  Trump can't fire them, and they are term limited or have moved on from state politics, so they have nothing to lose by running against him.

Chip Roy and Bob Good (House Freedom Caucus leader), both of whom are openly supporting DeSantis and in the news this week?  Trump can't primary them, Trump probably wouldn't push MAGA to vote for their Democratic opponents in the general, and Good was elected by the Freedom Caucus who knew he was a DeSantis supporter. There are other Republican politicians that could be on this list, but these folks are currently trending. 

I find it very interesting that so many high-profile Republican politicians who are not beholden to Trump in terms of remaining in office, are attacking him.  I also find it interesting that so many Republican judges ruled against him, including ones that he put in their current positions, and again, none of them are beholden to Trump in terms of remaining in office.

Makes you wonder how many other Republicans would be against Trump if they didn't think their political careers were on the line.

deadline was dec 11 to run against shit roy 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

You’re adorable sometimes. Look at all of that legal reasoning you typed out. Now look at the naked disregard for legal reasoning in all recent big policy decisions of the SCOTUS. Calvin. Ball.

Your beliefs are not in any danger from evidence, are they?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, BamaATL said:

That's politically convenient for them,

Again: How? They are answerable to no electorate. By design. If they rule against Trump, it costs them ... nothing! If they rule in favor of Trump... it costs them nothing. Given that they've pretty well ruled against Trump so far, and in favor of states' ability to self-determine... There's literally no evidence to support this kind of thinking other than Tankie Bullshit.

39 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Again: How? They are answerable to no electorate. By design. If they rule against Trump, it costs them ... nothing! If they rule in favor of Trump... it costs them nothing. Given that they've pretty well ruled against Trump so far, and in favor of states' ability to self-determine... There's literally no evidence to support this kind of thinking other than Tankie Bullshit.

Money. Follow. 

The belief that a Supreme Court ruling represents the "opportunity to reset the GOP" is one the most laughable things I have read on this site. 

-- But it expresses an underlying belief system for some (not all) Republicans/conservatives on this site and in America. Namely, that Trump is an anomaly, somehow. And if the cancerous Trump is gone, GOP will return to its halcyon days of defending tradition, capitalism, lower taxes, and, of course, keeping American strong with nukes, guns, flags, eagles, etc.

Where in the hell have you Republicans/conservatives been for 40 years? Sitting in your McMansion counting your $$$ with a Ronnie Reagan portrait above your desk? 

Everything that is happening now in the MAGA-GQP has been building for decades. Since Reagan! There is NO going back. 

-- They finally got Roe and abortion. On the table since Reagan. 35 years before Trump/MAGA showed up.

-- They are targeting the "immigrants" with razor wire, partial border walls, and now can arrest anyone who might be an illegal immigrant. On the table since Perot's United We Stand convention. 20 something years before Trump/MAGA. 

-- They are attacking secular education on all fronts, getting the Bible/God in schools. On the table since Reagan and Falwell held hands. 35 years before Trump/MAGA

-- They are attacking science on numerous fronts: evolution, medical science, environmental science, cosmology. All on the table since Reagan. 35 years before Trump/MAGA's idiot world of hydroxychloroquine and ivermectin. 

Hell, these f*ckers attacked medical science during the worst global pandemic in 100 years, leaving 1.2 million Americans dead (and still counting). You think they care about people dying under their rule? 

-- They are attacking LGBTQ, people of color, and they will come for the non-Christians of all types. "Crossfit Atheists," look out, you'll soon be a target. 

"Reset the GOP." Lulz. It has been set for decades.

MAGA-GQP will not stop, even with Trump gone. There is no going back. NO! It will only get worse.

Edited by BevoAbyss
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3
  • Prepare your anus 2

48 minutes ago, BevoAbyss said:

The belief that a Supreme Court ruling represents the "opportunity to reset the GOP" is one the most laughable things I have read on this site. 

-- But it expresses an underlying belief system for some (not all) Republicans/conservatives on this site and in America. Namely, that Trump is an anomaly, somehow. And if the cancerous Trump is gone, GOP will return to its halcyon days of defending tradition, capitalism, lower taxes, and, of course, keeping American strong with nukes, guns, flags, eagles, etc.

Where in the hell have you Republicans/conservatives been for 40 years? Sitting in your McMansion counting your $$$ with a Ronnie Reagan portrait above your desk? 

Everything that is happening now in the MAGA-GQP has been building for decades. Since Reagan! There is NO going back. 

-- They finally got Roe and abortion. On the table since Reagan. 35 years before Trump/MAGA showed up.

-- They are targeting the "immigrants" with razor wire, partial border walls, and now can arrest anyone who might be an illegal immigrant. On the table since Perot's United We Stand convention. 20 something years before Trump/MAGA. 

-- They are attacking secular education on all fronts, getting the Bible/God in schools. On the table since Reagan and Falwell held hands. 35 years before Trump/MAGA

-- They are attacking science on numerous fronts: evolution, medical science, environmental science, cosmology. All on the table since Reagan. 35 years before Trump/MAGA's idiot world of hydroxychloroquine and ivermectin. 

Hell, these f*ckers attacked medical science during the worst global pandemic in 100 years, leaving 1.2 million Americans dead (and still counting). You think they care about people dying under their rule? 

-- They are attacking LGBTQ, people of color, and they will come for the non-Christians of all types. "Crossfit Atheists," look out, you'll soon be a target. 

"Reset the GOP." Lulz. It has been set for decades.

MAGA-GQP will not stop, even with Trump gone. There is no going back. NO! It will only get worse.

I used the incorrect words. They might use this to get rid of trump. They will still be shitty people doing shitty things. But not under trump. That’s what I meant. Your post is absolutely correct 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Just my opinion, but political capital is real, even a the Supreme Court.  Helping Trump does little to help themselves nor their ideology, which isn't completely aligned.  The favorability of the Supreme Court is at an all time low; one thing that polls almost uniformly agree on.  After the Dobbs decision (though they deserved much more scrutiny prior) their profile is high.  Interjecting on something that ultimately doesn't matter and would only infuriate more people doesn't help them.  Remember, there is nothing that prevents a President from increasing the number of justices beyond tradition.  Considering the scandalous nature of Thomas, Kavanaugh, Comey Barrett, they'd be wise to lower their profile.  Politically speaking, they run the risk of having a second Biden term, with a Dem Congress (House and Senate).  Under these conditions, I think there is an outstanding chance of Thomas being impeached at a minimum.  

3 of the 6 Republican justices are people without question with no scruples.  They live to support their ideology, not the law, and somewhat quietly they managed to do so.  Do they want the spotlight or the magnifying glass?   For example, I doubt most Americans would have any idea that there are currently 3 Opus Dei justices.  That flat out is a conspiracy to push an agenda, and it ain't Trumps.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

While I agree with the CO move in principal, overall it's bad for America when a top President candidate is being disqualified from a state. It would be nothing for Abbott and Paxton to declare that Biden's "impeachable" offenses are treasonous to the US and remove him from the ballot.

Trump wasn't going to win CO in terms of the general so this does nothing to reduce his electoral votes. And it will just create more fuel to the fire that Trump is being unfairly persecuted.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Trump wasn't going to win CO in terms of the general so this does nothing to reduce his electoral votes. And it will just create more fuel to the fire that Trump is being unfairly persecuted.

In a literal sense, trump has been unfairly prosecuted - he has never once had to stand up to evidence of his malfeasance. The prosecution with respect to trump has ALWAYS had its hands tied behind it's back by the wise and mighty American political justice system. 

We wouldn't be in this position of incredible norms breaking if the republicans had not obstructed justice for half a goddamn decade

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Why are we assuming that him being off the ballot would cause him to lose the Colorado primary? I could see a groundswell of deplorables furiously memorizing how to spell Donald in line during their primary in the spring.

I don't think a lot of people realize that they aren't directly voting for a candidate in their party primary to automatically get the Colorado votes at the national convention - it's the delegates, who can fuck around at the national convention. I think Colorado's GOP restricts their delegates in the first round from selecting anybody but the person who won the primary in Colorado, but after that it maybe fair game and Trump could then get those delegate votes, if they chose.  But it's Colorado.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Fuck around and find out. The Senate had the chance to disqualify him twice but let him skate. Maybe don’t plan and execute a coup attempt. 

It can work in the opposite direction as well. Colorado may find out that a meaningless gesture gives Trump PA, GA and AZ, and the white house. but hey, Biden will take CO with 95% of the vote for a moral victory.

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It can work in the opposite direction as well. Colorado may find out that a meaningless gesture gives Trump PA, GA and AZ, and the white house. but hey, Biden will take CO with 95% of the vote for a moral victory.

You're still glossing over the ultimate failure of allowing a man to run for president who has already attempted a coup once and has said out loud he plans to be a dictator.

It's a fucking failure and indictment of our justice system that he's still a free man facing zero meaningful consequences nearly three years after a nationally televised literal attack on our democratic process

• Hook 'Em 8

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

sounds like you're assuming Colorado will be alone here. I suspect there will be others

• Prepare your anus 1

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If enough people think, "well I don't like that ruling that limits democracy so I'm voting for the dictator" then we get what we deserve. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The Colorado thing was processed through the courts, using the Constitution against Trump (and 12 other states had similar lawsuits, and so far 7 have been thrown out).  Biden has not actually done anything that would cause lawsuits to be filed to remove him from the ballot (and we are probably far too late in the process anyways - any new lawsuits filed now would take months to get through the courts).

Twicehorn or somebody else can correct me, but the state political parties set the rules for who is on their ballots - Republicans can't tell Democrats not to include Biden on their party's ballots, etc.  and nobody wants that to change.

Using your examples though, PA and AZ have Democratic governors, and the legislatures are split enough (PA has one (D) chamber) that a simple veto would take care of such legislative shenanigans.  Georgia....that's an excellent way to get serious riots going if the Republican legislature arbitrarily tried to remove Biden, and I don't think Kemp and the other GA leaders A) want Republican-created riots and B) want to carry Trump's water after he's made so many attacks against them.

I'm sure somebody will file a court case to get Biden removed (and may have already), but it will go nowhere, or else the Republicans would have already done so long before now.

• Hook 'Em 2

too many here are the mirror image of the GQP making libs cry.

It's not about showing up Trump and his followers. It's about winning in '24. Taking Trump off the general election ballot in CO only helps Trump. He is loving this situation. Some of you are treating the CO decision like a win for the good guys. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Fuck You 1

22 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It's not about showing up Trump and his followers. It's about winning in '24. Taking Trump off the general election ballot in CO only helps Trump. He is loving this situation. Some of you are treating the CO decision like a win for the good guys. 

Meh...it depends. 

If SCOTUS doesn't overturn it (big if there with those shitbirds)

Then let's say a couple swing states also disqualify him from ballot. How could he actually win the election then?

Nevada, Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Georgia. Any of those states have of chance of doing that?

Seems like Michigan or Pennsylvania have the easiest path

Edited by Neonmoon

6 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Meh...it depends. 

If SCOTUS doesn't overturn it (big if there with those shitbirds)

Then let's say a couple swing states also disqualify him from ballot. How could he actually win the election then?

Different states handle party delegates . . . differently.  Some could send delegates to their national convention with one primary winner but end up naming Trump as the candidate.  Others are more restricted by their own policy.

52 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yep. I see a 9-0 vote in the Supreme Court where they're not going to allow a state to do this.

I'm a big proponent of "we'll see" when it comes to future-predicting.  But whatever happens, I'm reasonably comfortable in saying that it's not going to be 9-0.

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I'm a big proponent of "we'll see" when it comes to future-predicting.  But whatever happens, I'm reasonably comfortable in saying that it's not going to be 9-0.

Given the language of the 14th, there's a ton of different ways it could go, because this right here is calvinball, it's make it up as you go along.

The Colorado Supreme Court did a pretty good job with it, though.

ETA:  Opinion here. https://www.lawfaremedia.org/article/colorado-supreme-court-rules-trump-is-disqualified-from-holding-presidency

Lawfare has a tracker of all these cases.  https://www.lawfaremedia.org/current-projects/the-trump-trials/section-3-litigation-tracker

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Given the language of the 14th, there's a ton of different ways it could go, because this right here is calvinball, it's make it up as you go along.

The Colorado Supreme Court did a pretty good job with it, though.

I haven't read the opinion, but since the President is the commander and chief of the military, and election to military office is precluded under Section 3, and we have a factual finding of insurrection from the trial court, I don't see how it could not apply to a Presidential candidate.

Yes, I realize it's calvinball, and any SCOTUS opinion will be base on external factors, but my appellate brain won't let me go there.  Some of us still do the job as intended.

Edited by dcbc
edited because I have my reasons
  • Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, Lurch said:

At this point the angry Trump voters can’t vote any harder. We’ve already been told that he’s been boosted by inflation, the border surge, the Fox verdict, the FBI raid, the first indictment, the second, the third, the fourth, the Carol verdict, the Rudy verdict… but now suddenly we think THIS is going to move the needle more? Fuck that noise

I guess I'm thinking of it beyond just its effect on the 2024 election. The ONLY way that we may be able to bring some of who aren't too far gone back to reality after Nov 2024 is by soundly defeating Trump. The completely brainwashed will cry fraud regardless, but some closer to the middle may realize, "Shit, I guess I'm not in the 'silent' majority. This guy is a fucking loser."

If Trump is declared ineligible nationally or in a few states and loses, all it does is push the narrative that the deep state is afraid of Trump and will stop him at all costs to keep their control over society. And further down the rabbit hole we all go. The extremism and conspiracies will only get worse.

But I will relinquish that it's not on the Colorado Supreme Court to take those things into consideration when making a legal ruling.

Edited by aggie08

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

How would that happen? lol. Where is he gaining these magical new voters from?

This makes no sense at all. This does not help Trump in anyway 

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't agree with this. I think it was the right ruling, both legally speaking and as a political act. Fascism was allowed to grow because too many people in positions of authority were unwilling to exercise their authority to actually deter or punish fascists, because of basic cowardice. At this point it may be too late, but it's good that prosecutors at the federal and state level finally got around to prosecuting Trump for a few of the fucking thousands of felonies he's committed in his life, and it's good that a majority of judges on this court didn't buckle to their cowardice and instead issued a ruling that accords with what the 14th Amendment requires.

But specifically as to this ruling, it's going to be very easy for SCOTUS to overturn this. They won't have a problem finding a majority to say "what insurrection? he hasn't been convicted of any insurrection!"

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

While I agree with the CO move in principal, overall it's bad for America when a top President candidate is being disqualified from a state.

what_the.jpg.f29b91757737a211fa149f2cf8fe0f1c.jpg

of all the bovine fecal matter to ever be excreted onto the pages of this site, this platitude might very be the largest, stinkiest shit to ever come from a keyboard.

IF YOU CAN'T HOLD A GUY ACCOUNTABLE FOR ATTEMPTING TO OVERTHROW THE GOVERNMENT THEN NOTHING WE SAY WE STAND FOR MEANS ANYTHING

i don't care how popular he is. The fact that he's popular IS THE POINT of having these checks and balances. EVERY bastard who ever overthrew an elected government was among the most popular candidates!

Seriously, shove this fucking anti-democracy sentiment up your ass until it reaches your mouth, chew it up, and swallow it back down

Edited by Rimbo
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

What, in everything Georgia officials and electorate have said and done in the past few years, makes you think they'd hand their state over to Trump?

You're an idiot.

2 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

If enough people think, "well I don't like that ruling that limits democracy so I'm voting for the dictator" then we get what we deserve. 

Every democracy that fell had a great many of these people. What allowed them to succeed was the failure of their opponents to recognize what was happening and unite.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

The redness of a state does not always reflect the redness of its Supreme Court, although very often it does, with the longer it’s been red the more fucked up it is.  But as the 60 cases across the country decided against Trump show, the judiciary is not as robustly GQP as the legislature are, even when Trump appointees.   

Also, it is possible to have been a lifelong Republican and to be absolutely appalled at the Hitler wannabe who currently controls the GQP.   The difference seems to be how badly the politician wants to be elected again.    

And anyone with standing can bring the suit, red state officials be dammed. 

The Oklahoma Supreme Court is relatively sane because Oklahoma had a massive judicial scandal several decades ago so they changed how justices are appointed. The state bar association has a committee that nominates three people for the seat and the governor has to choose from those three. Since bar associations on the whole are rarely super right wing, including in red states, we've avoided having these lunatics on the court. The state supreme court refused to disqualify Medicare expansion and medical marijuana from the ballot despite hard right wing pushes to prevent the people from voting on those questions. They upheld vaccine mandates for public schools and military installations. I think they've even shot down some major abortion legislation before Dobbs. 

A part of me is a little worried about the precedent, that now all the red states will try to take Biden off the ballot because of Hunter's dong or something, but the constitutional provision is limited to insurrections, so the only close question is whether trump lying to his base which motivated them to attack the capitol meets the standard. I sure think it does, so I'm happy for this ruling. I think SCOTUS will deny cert and will be magas next targets. Whatever, I just hope he dies soon in a puddle of his own shit and vomit.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, 'stache said:

that now all the red states will try to take Biden off the ballot because of Hunter's dong or something,

To be fair, Hunter's dong is large enough to be justification for many, many things.  

Not the least of those things being the massive uptick in "Republicans" crying in their basement as they jack off to cuck porn.

55 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

The extremism and conspiracies will only get worse.

Nah, they peaked with Qanon and pizza gate and Oprah Winfrey drinking the fluids of children to stay young, and look where they ended up -  they discovered it was not about the journey but the friends they made along the way.

20 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Star Trek GIF

Where is this GIF of Eric Trump from?

• Haha 3