Jury Duty on Freevee

Celery Man

I’ve seen this pop up twice today, which is enough to make me look (despite it being on Freevee, which is… the rebranded IMDB TV). Jury Duty documentary but it’s all fake except for the one guy who thinks it is real. Very funny so far, loving asshole James Marsden.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Haven’t watched the latest episode that I assume is out. Biggest laugh so far from me, apart from the cyborg showing up in the mannequins, was the non actor watching A Bug’s Life with him to help him understand the society doesn’t embrace technology early adopters.

On 4/12/2023 at 12:57 PM, kurioster said:

going to have to check this out, getting The Joe Schmo Show vibes

Thanks to this post I went back and rewatched The Joe Schmo Show for the first time since the original airing. Absurdly funny and downright cringy.

YouTube has the uncensored (for the most part) episodes if anyone is interested. Oh, and Angela Dodson is ridiculous.

The Joe Schmo Show" Episode #1.7 (TV Episode 2003) - IMDb

• Hook 'Em 2

• 3 weeks later...

Wife and I binged this over the weekend.  It was a fun watch.  A couple of real gut laughs, especially the "soaking" scene.  

It did leave me with tons of questions.  How did they pick this guy?  They had to know he wasn't a psychopath before building the show around him.  How did he get the jury summons?  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

The plaintiff's psychiatrist on the stand revealing clearly privileged information about his patient got me. 

I'm impressed at what a genuinely good guy the main character was.  

still kills me that they got a talking head of him explaining how he watched A Bug's Life with the cyborg and thought he would relate to being a misunderstood early adopter. even just the slow transition from... "oh cool I'm going to be friendly with a movie star" to "I'm the responsible adult friend to this insecure hollywood nutjob" - what a guy. hahaha him and the old lady he was supposed to keep awake who took the edibles.

i'm glad they gave him $100k - I didn't know there was a prize. I think he.... was I remembering right that he was in HVAC (maybe sales?) or something? I would hire that dude, I hope he betters his position based on this beyond even the payout. 

Or Detective Crashmore aka Santa.  I am a little dubious on how "real" the guy is.  Either he is the perfect choice, or there is a ton of editing out the actors steering the conversations.  In episode 1, the real guy mentions a Family Guy episode where Peter declared that he's a racist to get out of jury duty.  Then the nerdy guy tries to do that.  It was hilarious, but there is no chance that just happened organically.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Or Detective Crashmore aka Santa.  I am a little dubious on how "real" the guy is.  Either he is the perfect choice, or there is a ton of editing out the actors steering the conversations.  In episode 1, the real guy mentions a Family Guy episode where Peter declared that he's a racist to get out of jury duty.  Then the nerdy guy tries to do that.  It was hilarious, but there is no chance that just happened organically.

Did you watch the finale?  The production/writing team talked about how they had considered the angle of Noah pretending to be racist to get out of jury duty but they cut it.  Then Ronald spontaneously led them right back into it with the Family Guy reference.

Granted... that all could have been staged, but it seemed genuine.  So kudos for the writing and acting if that's the case, because they made it somewhat believable and definitely hilarious to watch.

• Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Did you watch the finale?  The production/writing team talked about how they had considered the angle of Noah pretending to be racist to get out of jury duty but they cut it.  Then Ronald spontaneously led them right back into it with the Family Guy reference.

Granted... that all could have been staged, but it seemed genuine.  So kudos for the writing and acting if that's the case, because they made it somewhat believable and definitely hilarious to watch.

No I haven't finished.  Have a few left.

On 5/1/2023 at 8:44 PM, dcbc said:

Just finished the "soaking" episode.  Amazing.  The line reading bits were fantastic as well.

My favorite exchange of the series..

James: Smaller or bigger jumps?

Noah: Smaller jumps, please!

Jeannie: No, BIGGER jumps!

Noah: THESE ARE REALLY BIG JUMPS, JAMES!

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2023 at 6:20 PM, Post Oak said:

She was awesome.

she was my favorite part, i was cracking up.

also re: sewage joe - he was the only one i recognized and he also seemed to have way less screentime than the other jurors.  it was like they figured out halfway through how recognizable he was.

don't know how real it was, but the main guy did keep saying how crazy shit just kept happening, so maybe he was rolling with it figuring it was part of the documentary and maybe everyone else was in his same situation.  it's one thing to think it's set up to be crazy, it's another to think/know you're the only one who's not in on the gag.

also maybe it's small enough to film additional seasons?  they could go to another city but not sure how easy it would be to sell the docu part of it.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/4/2023 at 11:29 AM, Guadaloopy said:

My favorite exchange of the series..

James: Smaller or bigger jumps?

Noah: Smaller jumps, please!

Jeannie: No, BIGGER jumps!

Noah: THESE ARE REALLY BIG JUMPS, JAMES!

I have a few episodes left. The quick cut to Marsden enthusiastically jumping on the bed was one of the funniest things I've seen in awhile. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 5/15/2023 at 12:23 AM, longhornmatt said:

I am very skeptical that the main guy truly didn’t know, though.

Finished it. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a point where he went "Ok what the fuck is going on? This can't be real", and was quickly pulled aside and told to just go with it, or something. 

• Hook 'Em 1

He thought he was signing up for a documentary about Jury Duty, hence the show getting to do their due diligence to make sure he was the guy.

He also didn't suspect, to the point where, when the show stopped shooting, he was paranoid it was still happening. Cast members including Marsdsen had to call to tell him it was really over, and there were no extra pranks / hidden cameras around the metaphorical corner.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Finished it. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a point where he went "Ok what the fuck is going on? This can't be real", and was quickly pulled aside and told to just go with it, or something. 

He was probably thinking it was a reality show where people were trying to stand out. It’s also Southern California.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wife and I started and finished it over the weekend.

Enjoyed it.  Really loved the kind of side/background comments they sneak in.

It's easy to sit watching it and think "this is so unbelievable" and a completely different thing to be in it in real time.

Really well done though..