Rep. Jeff Jackon of North Carolina

Horn Under a Bad Sign

I've never heard of him or seen him before. I like his message, but he needs to work on being able to post videos without tons of cuts and edits. It makes him look like some sort of AI production.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I had a feeling he must be a democrat before I ever hit play. Because he wasn't wearing any AR-15  "flair" on his outfit like a fucking smooth-brained dipshit. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

4 hours ago, royiv said:

I've never heard of him or seen him before. I like his message, but he needs to work on being able to post videos without tons of cuts and edits. It makes him look like some sort of AI production.

It’s really really really hard to do that without cuts and edits. No one is doing that speech in one take. To your point, they need to be shorter. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Have you all seen this guy? He's a Democrat from North Carolina.  Very impressive so far. Just watch this.  Dems need to be promoting/branding folks like this as their brand. 

Does he actually believe that?

• Drool 1

7 hours ago, royiv said:

It's cut like a TikTok video, as he is one of the only politicians in Congress that recognizes that TikTok, not Twitter, is the key to youth outreach.

https://rollcall.com/2023/04/05/rep-jeff-jackson-congress-biggest-tiktok-star-sees-the-app-as-a-tool-for-transparency/

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, royiv said:

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

It’s really really really hard to do that without cuts and edits. No one is doing that speech in one take. To your point, they need to be shorter. 

Plus he's younger, and the younger crowd film their videos like that and are used to making cuts, because YouTube/social media for that format (TikTok-like) favor cutting out pauses/empty space.

At least he doesn't have the Gen Z shake.  Millennials and Gen Xers and Boomers will make sure their cameras are recording before talking.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I'm not tiktok but i can see that cutting/shake approach has some value.  I wish I could use in real life and not have to listen to somebody say "So" "Like" "Uhhh" 7 times in a single sentence.  

There's definitely a solid reason/psychology behind the whole cutting out the empty spaces/pauses, because listeners/viewers have to pay more attention since there are no pauses/empty spaces to let you digest what was just said.

Once in a blue moon I let my oldest kid watch some YouTube videos on some Minecraft thing he's working on or whatever, and they do the same thing - quick cuts to remove pauses, and it drives me crazy, I want to slow it down.

Edited by atomheartbevo

10 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Have you all seen this guy? He's a Democrat from North Carolina.  Very impressive so far. Just watch this.  Dems need to be promoting/branding folks like this as their brand. 

I’m always cautious about new comers after sneaky Pete.  Like, is this guy for real or is he just waiting to sell out and become another empty suit. Only time will tell. 

• Fuck You 1

I'm reading Jackon, Jackoff in Mr. Miyagi's voice and it's too much fun.  

I like this guy from NC though.  I don't know anything about if you're supposed to tone down colors for tiktok or go big/bright or whatever.  But the pale white guy with dark grey sweater over light grey shirt with dark brown hair in front of cream colored kitchen with dark grey countertop appliance and then light grey table-top.  Did he hire Anthropologie to produce this or?

9 hours ago, royiv said:

It's the TikTok aesthetic. Young people probably feel comfortable and at home with these jump cuts, but it is jarring for us olds.

Chuckie beat me to it, edited to add.

Edited by HamsterHookah

57 minutes ago, Gengs1 said:

Been watching his videos and he is great at communicating in a calm manner that makes you pay attention.

No idea about him but better then any R in NC

Agreed. The facts he presents here is just mind boggling.

• Hook 'Em 2

I really, really like his message in the original post.  As someone who used to be hyper tuned into political news both here and elsewhere, it rings true to me and its not just a conservative/Republican problem.  We are all, left or right, Republican or Democrat, being kept in a perpetual state of political agitation.  Agitated enough to watch, listen, share, promote, donate and vote... but ideally not so agitated that we actually start voting from the rooftops.  The enlightened here are not immune to such manipulations.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I really, really like his message in the original post.  As someone who used to be hyper tuned into political news both here and elsewhere, it rings true to me and its not just a conservative/Republican problem.  We are all, left or right, Republican or Democrat, being kept in a perpetual state of political agitation.  Agitated enough to watch, listen, share, promote, donate and vote... but ideally not so agitated that we actually start voting from the rooftops.  The enlightened here are not immune to such manipulations.

I agree with this but will say at least some of the “enlightened outrage” is warranted.  J6 for example. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, TexEx15 said:

I agree with this but will say at least some of the “enlightened outrage” is warranted.  J6 for example. 

Absolutely.  I fully expect to see J6 2.0 with a different cast of characters if Trump wins in 2024, too.

The guy has a solid background:  bachelor's/masters degrees from Emory, law degree from UNC, plus Army Reserve and National Guard.

Hey, what a concept, a smart, rational politician.

Just now, Goredho said:

I fully expect to see J6 2.0 with a different cast of characters if Trump wins in 2024, too.

Elaborate, please.  You expect the center/left to stage an insurrection?

15 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Elaborate, please.  You expect the center/left to stage an insurrection?

I think that more people than ever in my lifetime are in a place where the ends justify any means, that they exist on both sides of the political spectrum, and that they have the skills & tools to motivate mass action like never before.  If Trump is elected in 2024, I absolutely think the election legitimacy will be brought into question and that legal means to overturn the election will be attempted.  If those fail, I don't necessarily expect an insurrection, but I certainly think it likely some non-legal actions are taken in an attempt to avert the fate of another Trump presidency.

Edit:  Further, I think the only way off this runaway bus is for the attitude of people like Jeff Jackson to be the one that prevails.

Edited by Goredho

32 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

Agreed. The facts he presents here is just mind boggling.

Serious people like this guy and Katie Porter should be leading all Congressional budget discussions.  It's too bad the rest of Congress has absolutely no interest in actually addressing the deficit / national debt issues and instead are just hell-bent on (1) pointing fingers at the other side and (2) ensuring the pork continues to flow for their constituents.  Unfortunately, with the way the country is going, Jeff and Katie will be out of office in 2024 doing TED Talks.  Oh well ...

11 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Edit:  Further, I think the only way off this runaway bus is for the attitude of people like Jeff Jackson to be the one that prevails.

That’s the problem. Who are the Jeff Jacksons on the right?

10 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I think that more people than ever in my lifetime are in a place where the ends justify any means, that they exist on both sides of the political spectrum, and that they have the skills & tools to motivate mass action like never before.  If Trump is elected in 2024, I absolutely think the election legitimacy will be brought into question and that legal means to overturn the election will be attempted.  If those fail, I don't necessarily expect an insurrection, but I certainly think it likely some non-legal actions are taken in an attempt to avert the fate of another Trump presidency.

Well, we have a test case, where plenty of people questioned Trump's victory in 2016.  No insurrection occurred.  More to the point, Hillary Clinton conceded early the next morning.

Will there be protests, and demands for recounts, etc. should Trump beat Biden?  Sure.  Violence?  I don't think so, outside of something like skuffles between protestors and right-wing "observers".

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, TexEx15 said:

That’s the problem. Who are the Jeff Jacksons on the right?

We gotta start somewhere.  Maybe he can help cultivate one.  If we can't de-escalate and find a way to coexist, then the only logical end of the ride is a genocide of one side or the other.  Ceding the Republican Party to the Boebert's and MTGs isn't helping.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, we have a test case, where plenty of people questioned Trump's victory in 2016.  No insurrection occurred.  More to the point, Hillary Clinton conceded early the next morning.

Will there be protests, and demands for recounts, etc. should Trump beat Biden?  Sure.  Violence?  I don't think so, outside of something like skuffles between protestors and right-wing "observers".

I hope you are right and I am wrong :)

2 minutes ago, Goredho said:

We gotta start somewhere.  Maybe he can help cultivate one.  If we can't de-escalate and find a way to coexist, then the only logical end of the ride is a genocide of one side or the other.  Ceding the Republican Party to the Boebert's and MTGs isn't helping.

Adam Kinzinger wasn't a total asshat.  Of course, he's no longer in office, and was censured by the Republicans for his role in the House investigation into J6.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Adam Kinzinger wasn't a total asshat.  Of course, he's no longer in office, and was censured by the Republicans for his role in the House investigation into J6.

Yeah, its not going to work if only this guy on the D side has this attitude.  He needs an ally on the R side to work with that can survive the populist Trump takeover, and then maybe they can build something from there.  The analog on the right is going to have their work cut out for them.  They are going to have to be very pragmatic about picking and choosing their battles.  Like, even though Kinzinger was right about J6, he is of no use to an attempted political de-escalation if he dies on that hill.

Absolutely.  I fully expect to see J6 2.0 with a different cast of characters if Trump wins in 2024, too.

Define J6 2.0? Mind you were talking about a mob of protesters that stormed the Capitol with the intent to murder elected officials, injuring hundreds of law enforcement, a few of whom killed themself within a year.

2 hours ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

Read the title and though this was another Cal Cunningham situation. Damn alliteration.

Anyways, Jackson equivocated like a motherfucker and settled for a House seat instead of seeing through a Senate bid in 2022.

Easily the front runner in 2026

14 hours ago, royiv said:

I just ran a campaign using this exact technique from the lighting equipment enough to make it look good, to the cuts to make it look homemade down to the subtitles, we had 80% view rates. It’s actually super, super effective. 

5 hours ago, Goredho said:

I’m agitated enough not to watch in part because watching doesn’t improve my mood or my political standing. Only being involved improves my standing. Outrage is at times warranted but what we do with it matters. 

• Like 1