DEI bans in Texas threaten recruiting, finances at Texas Universities

Satchel

Political overreach by Republicans could prevent UT and other programs in the state from being eligible to compete for conference championships. When will they stop being so damn extra?

In 2020, the NCAA created a new requirement for member institutions: every college or university has to appoint an “athletics diversity and inclusion designee,” a full-time staff member designated by the chancellor or president.

The Senate bill would eliminate DEI staff positions.

West noted that the NCAA requires universities to complete a DEI review every five years. This requirement is part of the organization’s “conditions and obligations of membership.”

“An institution that fails to complete the required equity, diversity and inclusion review by the established deadline shall be fined $500,” the NCAA’s “roles and responsibilities” document reads. “If the requirement is not satisfied within one year of the established deadline, the institution shall be placed in restricted membership status.”

The NCAA constitution states that universities are required to provide “education and training with respect to the creation of [diverse and inclusive] environments.”

Creighton’s office maintains that the NCAA requirement for universities to conduct equity, diversity and inclusion reviews are broad enough that state colleges can comply under his bill.

The $500 fines would have little impact on the premier athletics programs, which can have revenue and budgets in the tens of millions of dollars. But several NCAA diversity experts questioned whether the organization would consider taking action against Texas schools.

Helen A. “Nellie” Drew, a professor at the University at Buffalo’s School of Law, said a school entering “restricted status” could have far-reaching implications.

Schools can get on the status by failing to act on notices of noncompliance with regulations or major infractions to NCAA rules…

B. David Ridpath, professor of sports business at Ohio University, said the NCAA could take punitive actions against Texas, but not by banning schools.“There may be a possibility of there being some type of … measure from the NCAA that would say, if states do this, then maybe they would not be able to hold NCAA championships,” Ridpath said.

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Satchel said:

Creighton’s office maintains that the NCAA requirement for universities to conduct equity, diversity and inclusion reviews are broad enough that state colleges can comply under his bill.

He's a UT grad, whose law degree is from Oklahoma City University.

Season 6 Leslie GIF by Parks and Recreation

• Haha 1

The NCAA doesn’t have any teeth and won’t be able to enforce this. Threaten to sue them and they’ll back down.

If your college football locker room isn’t fostering an environment of diversity, equity, and inclusion then you’re probably not going to have a very good team. That’s supposed to be one of the values of college sports. Nowhere is that more pronounced than in football where they have large teams with lots of players from very diverse backgrounds. All that matters is if you can play. I think some people need to be reminded about the importance of that aspect of the game. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The fun part of DE&I is being designated as 'non-diverse' for characteristics supposedly protected from discrimination. Never have heard this specific premise as a "value of college athletics" either.  It sounds cool, but it's horseshit, too.

Virtually none of the athletic teams reflect the demographics of genpop of UT, or most other schools, for that matter.

Edited by slorch

10 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

There is a good chance, if not guaranteed, that UT drop in the educational rankings due to Abbott’s and Patrick’s actions.

Completely by design.  As far as Abbott is concerned, UT is there for a photo op and the occasional fund raiser, and Patrick is from Maryland.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I honestly don't know how universities in this state are going to keep accreditation without any sort of DEI.

That's the whole point.  Abbott, Patrick, etc. know exactly what the fuck they are doing, even if MAGA is barely able to tie their shoe laces or not lick every door knob they see.

I mean, sure, maybe our governor/lt. governor and a bunch of lawyers who moonlight as legislators don't know what the fuck they are doing and are just flinging shit around like a room full of monkeys, but it seems pretty fucking specific, and pretty fucking coordinated.

What their endgame is, I don't know, but whatever it is, they are more than happy to deliberately take down major universities in this state in pursuit of it.

If somebody wants to prove me wrong and lay out the claim that Abbott, Patrick, etc. are not trying to deliberately wreck UT, aggy, Tech, UH, and all the other public schools, etc., go right ahead, but from where I'm sitting, they are fucking with tenure (hiring of professors), they are fucking with DEI (accreditation), and so on, and it's not one or two little things targeted at one or two universities, they are chipping away at multiple facets of all of the public schools.

All that's left is for them to go after the PUF/AUF.

Edit: And they are trying to make it harder for college students to vote.  

Call it whatever you want, but the Texas GOP has declared war on higher education in this state.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

Civil rights organizations should galvanize and  direct student athletes away from schools (located almost exclusively in the South) that plan to abolish DEI programs. Abbott should have fun fielding calls from wealthy donors concerned about the NIL money being insufficient to stem the tide of star recruits being lured to less hostile environs.

• Hook 'Em 4

By the end of the athletic season, hundreds if not thousands of student-athletes of color will be informed that a condition of their NIL money is that they do not publicly protest or "unionize" against these anti-DEI measures.  They're going to make it look like it was these young men's fault, not their base's.  Just watch.  

12 years go, while on the PEGS advisory committee, all of the industry reps pounded the dept to recruit a more diverse student and graduate profile.  My company was the largest taker of these grads, and UT was our largest source.  
These turds are making sure UT cannot produce the graduates our hiring industries want.  I imagine when Hartzell opined this to the board he was told to STFU or walk.  

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

By the end of the athletic season, hundreds if not thousands of student-athletes of color will be informed that a condition of their NIL money is that they do not publicly protest or "unionize" against these anti-DEI measures.  They're going to make it look like it was these young men's fault, not their base's.  Just watch.  

There’s plenty of NIL money in the B1G and moribund athletic programs in California couldn’t be the biggest beneficiary of the South’s sojourn back to the 50’s

Moves like this are taking place all across the country:

The University of North Carolina System drives the state’s economy and advances the state’s reputation as a leader in public higher education. But Republicans are prepared to trade all that for the satisfaction of intimidating professors and solving a problem that doesn’t exist – universities as liberal indoctrination centers.

That’s the goal of House Bill 715, which would eliminate tenure for UNC System and community college faculty hired after July 1, 2024.

It also sets minimum class sizes and calls for UNC campuses to submit to the UNC Board of Governors a list of all “noninstructional” faculty research. This is part of a trend in several red states to rein in public university faculty and give more power to politicians and their appointees.

Irene Mulvey, national president of the American Association of University Professors (AAUP), recently testified against such legislation in Florida and Texas. She told me the North Carolina bill is the most sweeping move yet to undermine the independence of tenured faculty.

This doesn’t augur well schools in red states. We’re on a roll:

https://news.gallup.com/poll/474365/reproductive-health-laws-factor-college-decisions.aspx

According to a new study from Lumina Foundation and Gallup, nearly three-quarters of currently enrolled college students (72%) report that the reproductive health laws in the state where their college is located are at least somewhat important to their decision to stay enrolled. A smaller majority of unenrolled U.S. adults, aged 18 to 59, who do not have a degree (60%) say these laws are at least somewhat important to their decision to enroll in a specific college or university.

13 minutes ago, Satchel said:

There’s plenty of NIL money in the B1G and moribund athletic programs in California couldn’t be the biggest beneficiary of the South’s sojourn back to the 50’s

I don't know that I'm reading your post correctly.  My point was not just the knee-jerk, "We do this, and student-athletes of color will make an exodus to more friendly pastures."  I'm saying, that our state leadership is going to add a codicil that any NIL agreements with public university athletic departments must include that the student-athlete cannot participate in 'unofficial' DEI efforts/programs/events, nor publicly speak out against the ban on DEI/CRT/woke shit as a condition of their being able to have their checks cleared through the public college athletics dept.  It's a suppression effort.  It's much more than "Pick where you'd rather make an extra $50k young man.......backwards Texas or Michigan."  It's "You open your fucking mouth about diversity and that check will get stopped at Belmont, and you're stuck here through the season."    

It's "Shut up and Dribble" on steroids.  And it's coming.  

• Rage+1 1

On 4/22/2023 at 7:36 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

There is a good chance, if not guaranteed, that UT drop in the educational rankings due to Abbott’s and Patrick’s actions.

Wasn't it Rick Perry's plant to turn UT into a trade school about 10 years ago?

8 minutes ago, Satchel said:

We’re on a roll

Time to go solo

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Wasn't it Rick Perry's plant to turn UT into a trade school about 10 years ago?

Time to go solo

12 yeats ago, during my AC days.  I directly asked Fenves, then Dean of Engineering, what UT’s defense was going to be.  He made a speech to the point it just wouldn’t happen. Wrong.   Wrong about Charley Strong, too, Greg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 4/22/2023 at 7:27 AM, slorch said:

The fun part of DE&I is being designated as 'non-diverse' for characteristics supposedly protected from discrimination. Never have heard this specific premise as a "value of college athletics" either.  It sounds cool, but it's horseshit, too.

Virtually none of the athletic teams reflect the demographics of genpop of UT, or most other schools, for that matter.

Don't diversity quotas get you sued by Asians?

• 2 months later...

Texas A&M recruited a UT professor to revive its journalism program, then backtracked after “DEI hysteria”

The university celebrated its decision to hire Kathleen McElroy to revive its journalism program. She says she’s staying at UT after she felt judged because of her race and gender.

When Texas A&M University announced last month that it had hired a director to revive its journalism school, it included the kind of fanfare usually reserved for college coaches and athletes.

The university set up maroon, silver and white balloons around a table outside its Academic Building for an official signing ceremony. It was there that Kathleen O. McElroy, a respected journalist with a long career, officially accepted the position to run the new program and teach as a tenured professor, pending approval from the Texas A&M University System Board of Regents.

McElroy, a 1981 Texas A&M graduate, was the director of the University of Texas at Austin’s School of Journalism between 2016 and 2022, where she is a tenured professor. Earlier, she spent 20 years in various editing roles at The New York Times until heading to UT-Austin to pursue her doctorate.

She has studied news media and race, with a focus on how to improve diversity and inclusion within newsrooms, and spent her career covering other areas like sports and obituaries. Her master's thesis focused on the obituaries of civil rights leaders. Now, she was excited to head back to her alma mater to build a brand new program there.

----

Fucking aggy.

On 4/22/2023 at 10:38 PM, Beau Vine said:

I honestly don't know how universities in this state are going to keep accreditation without any sort of DEI.

Or we could just, you know, pay the $500 each year.

22 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Aggy straight up told her that alums would have her fired for being a black woman with a background in diversity/minority journalism?  

Who the fuck would even entertain a job offer in that toxic environment?

I'm seriously wondering what sort of raise A&M had to offer a black, female dept chair to agree to leave UT for A&M...

Issues like this, tex@gs shows it’s true colors …

A victim milker must do what a victim milker does.
FYI: I substituted milker for another word…

Biggest question I have is "why does A&M need a journalism department?" Talk about a worthless degree, lol.  
If my kid says he wants to major in journalism my response will be, "great, I support you. Just not financially."

• Rage+1 1

• 8 months later...
11 hours ago, Satchel said:

These governors have no idea what’s about to jump off in response to their inability not to overreach.

Who’s gonna hold them accountable? They are campaigning on this stuff and winning. Last I checked Texas is still booming. It’s going to get worse. Oklahoma is going to pass the same “hassle the browns” law that Texas has. I’m fourth generation American but am dark skinned Hispanic with a Hispanic name. I’ll probably be fine in the city but I’m not looking forward to being pulled over in the rural counties once that goes into effect.

• Rage+1 2

5 hours ago, 'stache said:

Who’s gonna hold them accountable? They are campaigning on this stuff and winning. Last I checked Texas is still booming. It’s going to get worse. Oklahoma is going to pass the same “hassle the browns” law that Texas has. I’m fourth generation American but am dark skinned Hispanic with a Hispanic name. I’ll probably be fine in the city but I’m not looking forward to being pulled over in the rural counties once that goes into effect.

Stay tuned.