2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

9 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Man, I have a hard time seeing anyone we give a shit about transferring over there.  I mean, never say never but that's like 99 on my list of concerns regarding the UT program.  

I doubt Worthy is the only pure mercenary on our team and it behooves the Aggies to tempt whoever isn't a starter or just wants to get a better deal out of our NIL. 

This one doesn't require that much imagination, but let's say Dan Lanning comes in and wants to build his defense around Hicks.  Hicks doesn't want to go, really, but Lanning has the institutional support to offer $250K in "NIL" money and that's a big bag.  I'd presume we'll match but maybe we'd have only paid Hicks $100K otherwise.  That $150K additional isn't there now for Bryce Anderson or whoever. 

If I was A&M I'm making very clear to the Texas players that the bank is open just to see who appears interested. 

Just now, LCHorn said:

I doubt Worthy is the only pure mercenary on our team and it behooves the Aggies to tempt whoever isn't a starter or just wants to get a better deal out of our NIL. 

This one doesn't require that much imagination, but let's say Dan Lanning comes in and wants to build his defense around Hicks.  Hicks doesn't want to go, really, but Lanning has the institutional support to offer $250K in "NIL" money and that's a big bag.  I'd presume we'll match but maybe we'd have only paid Hicks $100K otherwise.  That $150K additional isn't there now for Bryce Anderson or whoever. 

If I was A&M I'm making very clear to the Texas players that the bank is open just to see who appears interested. 

My supposition would be- none of them.  I get what you are saying- but nobody in a contract year that's good is going to want to go there for the new coach and regime and all that entails.  
Could we have an all american type poached by Bama or Georgia or SC or Ohio State?  Sure.  But by aggy?  Nah man, I don't care what they are saying/selling. I'd certainly laugh at them spinning their wheels and trying to do it.  
Could they get some depth type guys from us?  Sure.  But I figure anyone dumb enough to go do that is fine with not being on the team.  And spending more money than makes sense to teach us a lesson is so aggy- and it always works out poorly for them.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

That money has to come from somewhere.  Aggy doesn't have an unlimited fund of NiL like you are assuming.  They have their own roster they will need to keep as teams will be hovering like vultures.  Their boosters are already funding that 2022 #1 class, money into the athletic department and funding their current recruiting class.  

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, MisterP said:

He was saying that if the boosters had to pay for his buyout. They don't. They 12th man Foundation just had a 160,000,000 check written to them. This has been all over the place. The university has stated multiple times over the past week that the school would be paying for it.

That’s backwards. The 12th man just wrote a 160 million dollar check to the aggy athletic dept. or at least a big fake check with a prominent public display. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, victory88 said:

That money has to come from somewhere.  Aggy doesn't have an unlimited fund of NiL like you are assuming.  They have their own roster they will need to keep as teams will be hovering like vultures.  Their boosters are already funding that 2022 #1 class, money into the athletic department and funding their current recruiting class.  

You're misunderstanding the strategy--their objective in most cases isn't to poach from our roster, it's to increase OUR cost of retention.  

If I'm supporting @Wulaw Horn's argument, I'd say this works both ways--we need to be doing that to Aggie, too. 

1 minute ago, LCHorn said:

You're misunderstanding the strategy--their objective in most cases isn't to poach from our roster, it's to increase OUR cost of retention.  

If I'm supporting @Wulaw Horn's argument, I'd say this works both ways--we need to be doing that to Aggie, too. 

I think it's actually the opposite.....they're going to have to pay out of the ass to retain with all the programs circling that program especially considering how they have handled the game the past few years pissing EVERYONE off.

• Hook 'Em 4

22 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Read his post again, connect what Imma does for our team and what the poster said in the back of his paragraph.

I just scrolled through all of Immas comments that are on his page and all the posts in this thread. Not finding which one you are referencing. What I have seen him say is that they will be short on cash if the BMDs had to pay, which they arent. Allegedly. 

Sark has address the portal a few times. He said the team has a great culture and that's what keeps players around even tho they can find more NIL $ somewhere else. MM is a prime example.

If a Texas player wants to leave Texas to play for aggy for the $$$, knowing that they've never fucking done anything, then good luck to the dude. I don't think we will have any risk of losing any valuable players to aggy. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MisterP said:

I just scrolled through all of Immas comments that are on his page and all the posts in this thread. Not finding which one you are referencing. What I have seen him say is that they will be short on cash if the BMDs had to pay, which they arent. Allegedly. 

Except they just did pay $160MM. So they’re paying. 

cross posted here because money talk here:

I am a little curious about the real meaning of the giant $160M check aggy flashed at the game. I suppose it is possible that donors, just within the last week, poured that much cash into the 12th man fund and that the fund is bragging by printing it on gargantuan cardstock. I think it is much more likely that the figure represents some combination either of cumulative gifts over the last ? months/years and/or pledges received, again over a significant time in the past and promised to pay out over a significant future interval. I'm from Missouri on their literally having that kind of cash sitting in the slush fund and ready to spend.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

They lie about how much their endowment is. Of course they’re misleading with this. 

Well, I have a straight up question for them. Where are they going to display the 20-- Jimbo National Championship trophy?

image.thumb.jpeg.0528a9492f446fdc327dbce199b3261a.jpeg

Edited by Bevo

3 hours ago, MisterP said:

The latter part of the post he's referring to is hoping our BMD and NIL step up to match what aggy is spending. Imma and others connected to the funds/BMDs have said everyone assumes because the university is rich that there is an infinite amount of money being thrown at NIL but that is not the case. Essentially, don't bank on us getting into huge bidding wars with aggy.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

Well, I have a straight up question for them. Where are they going to display the 20-- Jimbo National Championship trophy?

image.thumb.jpeg.0528a9492f446fdc327dbce199b3261a.jpeg

If it was given to Fisher (I think it was), I assume it’s in his home (surely he’s not slapdick enough to keep it at his office). I hope it makes it to eBay and not the dump. 

That said, if it was at his office, it will probably end up in the dumpster behind the football offices. 

Edited by statsman

2 minutes ago, statsman said:

If it was given to Fisher (I think it was), I assume it’s in his home (surely he’s not slapstick enough to keep it at his office). I hope it makes it to eBay and not the dump. 

That said, if it was at his office, it will probably end up in the dumpster behind the football offices. 

that thing would bring a small fortune on the open market

Bags aren't everything, kids want to win.  Just like A&M doesn't have the jack to lure away Sark.  If you have lived in Austin Why the fuck would you want to move to college station?   I would be really surprised to see A&M pull anyone off us.  Simply because I don't think they can get a big splash player to bite, and it's too embarrassing otherwise.

BUT!!!!

Imagine how much cash the Ags would have if they don't average paying for an entire second staff they fired most every year.  THAT might present a problem, but wasted money is... will wasted.  And the Ags can't help themselves.  They always get their hopes up, and convince themselves this is it! Cost doesn't matter! We finally have a chance!

The good news for me is that Aggie hopes and dreams will once again be baselessly sky high next season.  I sort of got depressed after seeing Aggie hopes and dreams dashed so early this year.  It's a lot more fun to have them actually think things are going good, then like clockwork October crushes those dreams.  I am very curious to see what kind of contract they write this go round.  But who are they really going to get that's gonna make a huge splash?  

3 hours ago, horn4life said:

Bags aren't everything, kids want to win.  Just like A&M doesn't have the jack to lure away Sark.  If you have lived in Austin Why the fuck would you want to move to college station?   I would be really surprised to see A&M pull anyone off us.  Simply because I don't think they can get a big splash player to bite, and it's too embarrassing otherwise.

BUT!!!!

Imagine how much cash the Ags would have if they don't average paying for an entire second staff they fired most every year.  THAT might present a problem, but wasted money is... will wasted.  And the Ags can't help themselves.  They always get their hopes up, and convince themselves this is it! Cost doesn't matter! We finally have a chance!

The good news for me is that Aggie hopes and dreams will once again be baselessly sky high next season.  I sort of got depressed after seeing Aggie hopes and dreams dashed so early this year.  It's a lot more fun to have them actually think things are going good, then like clockwork October crushes those dreams.  I am very curious to see what kind of contract they write this go round.  But who are they really going to get that's gonna make a huge splash?  

Their 2024 schedule is pretty manageable. Mizzou is probably the only guaranteed loss. Auburn should be better. LSU needs a big time QB and WR in the portal to stay at the same level. 

The SEC giving them MS State and South Carolina with no Bama, Georgia, Tennessee, OU, or Ole Miss is some bullshit. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, hookemATL said:

And they will lose 5-6 games guaranteed. I’ll bet my third testicle and my 5th nipple on it. 

Actually, if they get a competent coach, assuming Weigman stays, they are probably going to have a very good year in 2024. The weak schedule will help mask their shittly OL. I'd bet on lots of hype and maybe only 1 or 2 losses heading into the Texas game. Then we smash their face, put them in their rightful spot, and they regress in 2025 toward their usual mid-tier suckitude. 

2 minutes ago, SimkinsMan said:

Actually, if they get a competent coach, assuming Weigman stays, they are probably going to have a very good year in 2024. The weak schedule will help mask their shittly OL. I'd bet on lots of hype and maybe only 1 or 2 losses heading into the Texas game. Then we smash their face, put them in their rightful spot, and they regress in 2025 toward their usual mid-tier suckitude. 

No Way Bounce GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, SimkinsMan said:

Not sure why y’all are pinning possible success on Weigman being there or not. Kid wasn’t all that good, and more importantly I don’t see how they solve that OL issue either. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Butch Had Not said:

Would we have any interest and/or would it be reciprocated with Matthew Golden? He looked really good against us (outside the stupid personal foul) and would be an explosive addition. 

Make sure Blue is happy before you reach out to Golden. 

5 hours ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

I’m not sure Blue is a guy you wait on before making portal moves. 

He isn’t saying this in a sense of losing blue to chase Golden. He is mentioning it as they went to the same high school and know each other. So if Blue is unhappy and on his way out the door he might not have the best things to say on his way out. They play diff positions so pursuing one is not pushing the other out.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

He isn’t saying this in a sense of losing blue to chase Golden. He is mentioning it as they went to the same high school and know each other. So if Blue is unhappy and on his way out the door he might not have the best things to say on his way out. They play diff positions so pursuing one is not pushing the other out.

I don’t remember the history, but I thought Blue didn’t exactly have a great relationship with his high school teammates.

1 minute ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

What is this? A kind explanation with nary a hint of sarcasm? 

This has no place on this board. We are Surly…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.