2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

4 minutes ago, Getafix said:

In addition, one of the things I’ve noticed doing the game previews is the preponderance of upperclassmen and particularly seniors that most programs had. A&M played more underclassmen with the focus being on the 2022 recruiting class where A&M had invested so much in the way of time and resources. Those guys could be physically dominant players against outmanned foes but not so much versus other Power Five programs.

Duh. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Tarp on Aggie 247, earlier today.

image.thumb.png.046bf4d73ec3b76146ec22b1d95f00e6.png

(Full article)

Monday morning thoughts (VIP)

Tarp (Aggie 247)

Hide contents

Tarp (Aggie 247)

There may be some more guys announce today for the NCAA transfer portal and especially along the defensive line given the departure of former defensive line coach Elijah Robinson to Syracuse. You might have other losses among the wideouts and in the secondary. However, the hire of former Florida defensive line coach Sean Spencer and the retention of other people on staff should help slow the rate of any losses. It should be noted that even with Robinson around A&M might have lost some people anyway. The offensive line may need help but the most important members of the group should return.

However, there is probably going to be a different approach going forward iwith regard to NIL. One issue that schools have had since NIL became a thing in the summer of 2021 is how to manage what is essentially a salary cap situation. You had players getting paid not necessarily based on their production but rather on their star rankings or how much competition there was for their services. Thus, you might have had a roster that featured people getting more money for doing less on the field or younger performers making more than older ones.

No matter what kind of resources you think A&M has, they’re not infinite and they have to be managed. You’re not going to be able to give someone a top deal on every deal. You have to pick and choose your spots.

In addition, one of the things I’ve noticed doing the game previews is the preponderance of upperclassmen and particularly seniors that most programs had. A&M played more underclassmen with the focus being on the 2022 recruiting class where A&M had invested so much in the way of time and resources. Those guys could be physically dominant players against outmanned foes but not so much versus other Power Five programs.

That experience came in handy down the stretch in close games. Just as an example, Oklahoma State starts 14 seniors (many of them redshirt or super seniors) on an outfit that finished ninth in the Big 12 in total offense and dead last in that league in total defense. You may not think much of that conference itself but it’s a tribute to Mike Gundy’s use of the portal he was able to bring players in, acclimate them to their program, and use them to win close games (four of five contests decided by one score or less in 2023). In contrast, A&M lost four games by one score last season.

Overall, things are going to get more attention and more detail going forward. This should lead to a more balanced and experienced roster with an emphasis on current productivity and a better culture across the board. This was something that Mike Elko was able to do at Duke which played a role in him elevating that program during the past two seasons.

Finally…we’ve been told that there are two meetings today, one between Elko and A&M’s remaining staff and another between the players and their new head coach. They need to figure out responsibilities among the coaching staff for the bowl game and there may be some moves besides Spencer in terms of bringing new staff on board.

This is straight up an explanation of a shift in their strategy for PAY FOR PLAY (NIL), which is the only thing that is specifically against the rules.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

12 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Tarp on Aggie 247, earlier today.

image.thumb.png.046bf4d73ec3b76146ec22b1d95f00e6.png

(Full article)

Tarp (Aggie 247)

Hide contents

Tarp (Aggie 247)

There may be some more guys announce today for the NCAA transfer portal and especially along the defensive line given the departure of former defensive line coach Elijah Robinson to Syracuse. You might have other losses among the wideouts and in the secondary. However, the hire of former Florida defensive line coach Sean Spencer and the retention of other people on staff should help slow the rate of any losses. It should be noted that even with Robinson around A&M might have lost some people anyway. The offensive line may need help but the most important members of the group should return.

However, there is probably going to be a different approach going forward iwith regard to NIL. One issue that schools have had since NIL became a thing in the summer of 2021 is how to manage what is essentially a salary cap situation. You had players getting paid not necessarily based on their production but rather on their star rankings or how much competition there was for their services. Thus, you might have had a roster that featured people getting more money for doing less on the field or younger performers making more than older ones.

No matter what kind of resources you think A&M has, they’re not infinite and they have to be managed. You’re not going to be able to give someone a top deal on every deal. You have to pick and choose your spots.

That experience came in handy down the stretch in close games. Just as an example, Oklahoma State starts 14 seniors (many of them redshirt or super seniors) on an outfit that finished ninth in the Big 12 in total offense and dead last in that league in total defense. You may not think much of that conference itself but it’s a tribute to Mike Gundy’s use of the portal he was able to bring players in, acclimate them to their program, and use them to win close games (four of five contests decided by one score or less in 2023). In contrast, A&M lost four games by one score last season.

Overall, things are going to get more attention and more detail going forward. This should lead to a more balanced and experienced roster with an emphasis on current productivity and a better culture across the board. This was something that Mike Elko was able to do at Duke which played a role in him elevating that program during the past two seasons.

Finally…we’ve been told that there are two meetings today, one between Elko and A&M’s remaining staff and another between the players and their new head coach. They need to figure out responsibilities among the coaching staff for the bowl game and there may be some moves besides Spencer in terms of bringing new staff on board.

7 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

This is straight up an explanation of a shift in their strategy for PAY FOR PLAY (NIL), which is the only thing that is specifically against the rules.

If this motherfucker is teling us that moving forward, A&M is going to use the portal to attract seniors and super seniors and not pay the money it takes to sign 5 star players out of high school anymore, I am fucking here for  it. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, Constant said:

So far no real surprises on the outgoing list. Trimming some fat with guys that haven’t played or haven’t played very well (Gabriel an exception). 

I thought they did a really good job last year with what they brought in from the portal. A lot of real contributors and some bread, of course. Defensively I think we need some real help at the edge and just some size and depth at DT. We don’t have that edge guy that can just wreck a game for 60 minutes like we usually have. Overall need more depth at safety and corner, but we’ll see. Not always a ton of good options there. 

Offensively we need a 2-deep worthy player at guard and center. The best WR we can get and any TE that will accept our mail. 

I figured the 5 star freshman edge would project more towards that 60 minute menace than betting on a transfer, but I didn't follow his numbers after the Texas game. I thought he was supposed to be coming on during the season for you guys?

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Ouch

Interesting given Doeren's success there. It is funny to note the connection between him and Bjork given that Bjork tried to hire him at Ole Miss, Matt Luke wins the Egg Bowl and then their donors go over Bjork's head to give Luke the job given what happened a couple weeks ago. 

1 minute ago, Teryor said:

Interesting given Doeren's success there. It is funny to note the connection between him and Bjork given that Bjork tried to hire him at Ole Miss, Matt Luke wins the Egg Bowl and then their donors go over Bjork's head to give Luke the job given what happened a couple weeks ago. 

He was flat out begging for NIL money after beating UNC. NC State is in a wealthy area and has some big donors, but I think they've been completely flatfooted on adapting to the new era.

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I figured the 5 star freshman edge would project more towards that 60 minute menace than betting on a transfer, but I didn't follow his numbers after the Texas game. I thought he was supposed to be coming on during the season for you guys?

He flashed some throughout but never really took over that spot like I hoped. It could be time to look for a change at that position coach. Venables took a chance on Chavis bringing him from Clemson, but he’s unproven. Love what he brings energy wise and he appears to be well liked and a good recruiter, but it may be time to go find a proven developer. 

6 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Eh. He was buried on the depth chart. Guys like Anderson, Mathews, Kerr, and even Brooks made more of an impact

Gilbert was their starting safety before a season ending shoulder injury. That's a big loss. He can play and will probably end up at LSU. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 5

12 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Eh. He was buried on the depth chart. Guys like Anderson, Mathews, Kerr, and even Brooks made more of an impact

Hahahaha. WTF?

8 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Gilbert was their starting safety before a season ending shoulder injury. That's a big loss. He can play and will probably end up at LSU. 

This. He was also highly regarded out of high school and was living up to the billing. 

I'm not a big fan of betting on safeties with shoulder problems, so I'm hoping he goes somewhere like LSU and they waste money getting him. 

10 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I looked on google and didn't see much about an injury on first glance. Fair enough, they'll probably still be fine at the position unless Bryce finally hops in the portal

Also checked stats out and didn't see any listed production after the Miami game.

My bad.

Edited by Atticus

8 minutes ago, Atticus said:

I looked on google and didn't see much about an injury on first glance. Fair enough, they'll probably still be fine at the position unless Bryce finally hops in the portal

Not really. 

Jacoby Mathews and Kerr are nowhere near the player that Gilbert is. It's why he was starting ahead of both. 

1 hour ago, Constant said:

So far no real surprises on the outgoing list. Trimming some fat with guys that haven’t played or haven’t played very well (Gabriel an exception). 

I thought they did a really good job last year with what they brought in from the portal. A lot of real contributors and some bread, of course. Defensively I think we need some real help at the edge and just some size and depth at DT. We don’t have that edge guy that can just wreck a game for 60 minutes like we usually have. Overall need more depth at safety and corner, but we’ll see. Not always a ton of good options there. 

Offensively we need a 2-deep worthy player at guard and center. The best WR we can get and any TE that will accept our mail. 

Excuse me sir, but I hear there is a certain homeschool kid who would beg to differ about high quality edge talent. I hear he had 159 sacks this year in his homeschool league, injured 11 QB's, made 3 kids wet their pants, and banged at least 5 of the moms in the parking lot. 

Edited by Vertigo

4 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Not interested in arguing semantics. They'll be talented enough at the position. Happy?

Maybe but you're really underplaying how good Gilbert is. He's probably the best safety on their roster. 

He's honestly somebody we should probably be after in the portal. Good athlete with instincts we've been missing at safety. 

Just now, Constant said:

Posted this earlier in the wrong thread because I’m an idiot:

Looks like OU is pretty far along with Casey Thompson to come in and play a QB2 role for his 7th year of eligibility. That would be a win in my book. Leadership, experience, and a guy that can keep the ship afloat, if needed. Beville and Booty could be freed up to transfer. 

Is this the same Casey Thompson who was a shitty QB at Texas and a little whiney bitch? That dipshit Casey Thompson?

If so, fucking LULZ.

• Hook 'Em 9

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.