2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

19 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I didn’t want to say the dude said peace out before he publicly put his name in the portal so that’s why I worded it the way I did.

Sorry if I came across as an asshole. Wasn’t my intention. I saw the same thing you saw Saturday in terms of engagement on the sideline and him being excited but he was operating different behind the scenes.

I don't get bailing before the CDP. Starter or not

3 hours ago, Getafix said:

Tarp on Aggie 247, earlier today.

image.thumb.png.046bf4d73ec3b76146ec22b1d95f00e6.png

(Full article)

Monday morning thoughts (VIP)

Tarp (Aggie 247)

Hide contents

Monday morning thoughts (VIP)

Tarp (Aggie 247)

There may be some more guys announce today for the NCAA transfer portal and especially along the defensive line given the departure of former defensive line coach Elijah Robinson to Syracuse. You might have other losses among the wideouts and in the secondary. However, the hire of former Florida defensive line coach Sean Spencer and the retention of other people on staff should help slow the rate of any losses. It should be noted that even with Robinson around A&M might have lost some people anyway. The offensive line may need help but the most important members of the group should return.

However, there is probably going to be a different approach going forward iwith regard to NIL. One issue that schools have had since NIL became a thing in the summer of 2021 is how to manage what is essentially a salary cap situation. You had players getting paid not necessarily based on their production but rather on their star rankings or how much competition there was for their services. Thus, you might have had a roster that featured people getting more money for doing less on the field or younger performers making more than older ones.

No matter what kind of resources you think A&M has, they’re not infinite and they have to be managed. You’re not going to be able to give someone a top deal on every deal. You have to pick and choose your spots.

In addition, one of the things I’ve noticed doing the game previews is the preponderance of upperclassmen and particularly seniors that most programs had. A&M played more underclassmen with the focus being on the 2022 recruiting class where A&M had invested so much in the way of time and resources. Those guys could be physically dominant players against outmanned foes but not so much versus other Power Five programs.

That experience came in handy down the stretch in close games. Just as an example, Oklahoma State starts 14 seniors (many of them redshirt or super seniors) on an outfit that finished ninth in the Big 12 in total offense and dead last in that league in total defense. You may not think much of that conference itself but it’s a tribute to Mike Gundy’s use of the portal he was able to bring players in, acclimate them to their program, and use them to win close games (four of five contests decided by one score or less in 2023). In contrast, A&M lost four games by one score last season.

Overall, things are going to get more attention and more detail going forward. This should lead to a more balanced and experienced roster with an emphasis on current productivity and a better culture across the board. This was something that Mike Elko was able to do at Duke which played a role in him elevating that program during the past two seasons.

Finally…we’ve been told that there are two meetings today, one between Elko and A&M’s remaining staff and another between the players and their new head coach. They need to figure out responsibilities among the coaching staff for the bowl game and there may be some moves besides Spencer in terms of bringing new staff on board.

Monty Python Fight GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

I don't get bailing before the CDP. Starter or not

The transfer portal closes one day after the semifinals and before the national championship. Unless there is an exception I don’t know about, I don’t think there’s much of a choice.

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Constant said:

Oh, I 100% agree Lebby and Venables are also to blame. The decimation began with Riley, though. Taking Williams and M. Nelson with him to USC fucked everything. 

Lebby and Venables bringing in Gabriel was a positive, but everything else to set the room right was a failure. I can’t even put into words how bad Lebby was as a quarterback coach and manager of his room. What happened at QB in ‘22 should never happen at OU. Lebby got Arnold on campus, and I give him credit for that, but he also managed to fuck Arnolds first year as well. Just monumental levels of bull shit. 

Is burning Arnold's redshirt that big of a deal? His extra redshirt year will be 2027. If he's good, he should be drafted before then. If he's not, a school like OU should be able to recruit or develop someone else by then. 

Older QBs are running CFB this year, but none of them are doing it at their original school and Arnold had cleaner draft projections as a recruit than they did (I think). 

• Hook 'Em 1

This is straight up an explanation of a shift in their strategy for PAY FOR PLAY (NIL), which is the only thing that is specifically against the rules.
Glad I'm not the only one who caught that. He's literally talking about paying players based on their performance on the field, smh.

12 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Is burning Arnold's redshirt that big of a deal? His extra redshirt year will be 2027. If he's good, he should be drafted before then. If he's not, a school like OU should be able to recruit or develop someone else by then. 

Older QBs are running CFB this year, but none of them are doing it at their original school and Arnold had cleaner draft projections as a recruit than they did (I think). 

Na, I wanted the shirt burned. I just wanted more experience to go along with it. He only attempted 24 passes. He should have been a large part of the game plan after that second loss. 

1 minute ago, Vermin said:

I'm sure it's been mentioned but how is Dillon Gabriel able to transfer? I thought it was a 1 time thing?

I think the only requirement for a degree at ou is the ability to use their system to request one. And the football players have someone do that for them. So grad transfer?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Just now, billfromlaketravis said:

I kind of wonder if Day can survive this. These people are fing nuts. Prominent Buckeyes have said publicly that they’d rather beat Michigan than win a national championship. 

He’s dropped 3 straight and half his team is in the portal. 

Pretty much why I gave Day to aggy credence. He loses that game next year he's gone. Might as well jump now.

1 minute ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Pretty much why I gave Day to aggy credence. He loses that game next year he's gone. Might as well jump now.

I agree with you, but Looch claims he has a source on the aggy side, the Ohio State side, and the agent side that said Day to aggy was never happening. No explanation given. Just said that it wasn’t a possibility. 

I don’t know where Day could retreat to. Notre Dame could make sense, but I don’t think they’d fire Freeman after showing some signs of life after 3 years. 

I’d take a qb like Thompson as a backup assuming he’d be willing to just be a backup.  He’d have been better than Maalik by a mile. FSU could have used someone of his ability instead of the two garbage backups they rolled out.  A Casey Thompson type can do well enough to throw to the weapons FsU has where they would have had two blowouts the last two weeks and made the playoffs. The delta between what FSU had at starter and backups is what kept them out of playoffs.  Biggest delta I’ve seen since VY and Nordgren.  The kind of delta that is worth 20 points or so.  

We only need a portal backup if Ewers leaves.  We are set otherwise.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

I’d take a qb like Thompson as a backup assuming he’d be willing to just be a backup.  He’d have been better than Maalik by a mile. FSU could have used someone of his ability instead of the two garbage backups they rolled out.  A Casey Thompson type can do well enough to throw to the weapons FsU has where they would have had two blowouts the last two weeks and made the playoffs. The delta between what FSU had at starter and backups is what kept them out of playoffs.  Biggest delta I’ve seen since VY and Nordgren.  The kind of delta that is worth 20 points or so.  

We only need a portal backup if Ewers leaves.  We are set otherwise.  

FSU’s third string QB was committed to Ohio State at 1 point. I had to pause and rewind the podcast when I heard that. I assume he was part of 2 QB class. 

The kid might be good someday. He just wasn’t ready. 

20 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I agree with you, but Looch claims he has a source on the aggy side, the Ohio State side, and the agent side that said Day to aggy was never happening. No explanation given. Just said that it wasn’t a possibility. 

I don’t know where Day could retreat to. Notre Dame could make sense, but I don’t think they’d fire Freeman after showing some signs of life after 3 years. 

He’s losing his team now because they are tired of him creeping around the showers naked popping towels and trying to wrestle.  

Penn St probably makes sense, North East roots, spent a year a Philly, used to losing to Michigan, likes little kids   Pretty sold fit really  

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

And Sark has re-established the pipeline this year anyways.

My old man was at SMU during the Pony Express days and had a class with Eric Dickerson. Said he only ever saw him twice, the first day of class and the day of the final. And on the final he turned in his test back to the professor 45 seconds after they were handed out and left.

I had the same experience with Hodges Mitchell at Texas

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.