2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

I may be misremembering but does Guilbeau even play special teams? Jordan is certainly a plus in that regard.  

Jordan played in almost game, and played a ton on ST

Guilbeau had a weird looking participation report and was injured i believe

image.png.6c97e6f48cdbf92fe3c5aa516d25bbbd.png

37 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Burton said this morning there's a very good chance Guilbeau hits the portal. Sort of figured that when we brought in Mukuba to play star.

When even UT's lowest rated & ranked DB in the '24 recruiting class is a potential burner, it's safe to assume that Guilbeau (who reportedly ran a 4.71 40-yard dash coming outta High School) was recruited over.

• Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, cochamps said:

I thought Guilbeau showed promise early.   Sometimes an injury robs just enough that the player loses effectiveness though.

Same. I remember him getting snaps and making plays as a Freshman. I was excited that we won his recruitment over TCU. Oh well, good luck to the dude.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Getafix said:

Wow ... 

Lulz. It goes both ways Lane. My guess is that he's seeing/hearing about the money spent on all the new incoming portal transfers and wants to make sure he's duly compensated.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, cochamps said:

I thought Guilbeau showed promise early.   Sometimes an injury robs just enough that the player loses effectiveness though.

I always thought he was a complementary offer to entice Bryce Anderson, anyway, and if he was a good program guy he’d be useful depth.  Otherwise he’s kind of a UTSA level athlete.  

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Burton said this morning there's a very good chance Guilbeau hits the portal. Sort of figured that when we brought in Mukuba to play star.

Guilbeau looked completely lost out there in the limited playing time he had late in the season.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Lulz. It goes both ways Lane. My guess is that he's seeing/hearing about the money spent on all the new incoming portal transfers and wants to make sure he's duly compensated.

26 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Or a contender who needs a rb offered him a shitload of money.

Either reason seems reasonable and more likely than the dude just deciding he'd test the waters. There are multiple playoff aspirants in need of a serious running threat, so I'm leaning with the notion that he knows where he's going and he's getting paid.

Just now, Js1 said:

Michigan? FSU? Oregon?

Corum and Benson gone. Benson gone. Irving gone. 

The problem for Michigan is that they're facing a damned near total rebuild of their starting 22. If McCarthy declares, and I assume he will, they have like 4 returning starters, total. Paying big for a TB transfer wouldn't make a bunch of sense if that is the case. I think FSU is in a similar place.

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The problem for Michigan is that they're facing a damned near total rebuild of their starting 22. If McCarthy declares, and I assume he will, they have like 4 returning starters, total. Paying big for a TB transfer wouldn't make a bunch of sense if that is the case. I think FSU is in a similar place.

And they will likely have a new HC...

2 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Lane Kiffin gonna Lane Kiffin.

and then, around the time the Quinshon Judkins news hits ... 

Pete Golding is the DC. On a macro level, sure he cares about the RB, but I suspect this was about a defensive player.

5 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Pete Golding is the DC. On a macro level, sure he cares about the RB, but I suspect this was about a defensive player.

Right - he was posting a bunch of those fishing videos (including the Golding one - and yes, that's likely for a def prospect - and others as well). 

Then, he threw in the "catch and release" around the time the Judkins news broke. 

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

@closetojumping get a look at this haha

This dude must’ve been otherworldly bad in USC practices.

29 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Oh well. 

Recruiting rankings have always had a lot of bullshit baked into them, but they seem to have gotten even worse over the last 5-10 years.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

McCarthy is a mediocre college QB on a very good team. I can't imagine he goes in the first two rounds of the NFL draft if he comes out this year. And I have no doubt that he will suck as an NFL QB.

That said, I hope that he declares. Michigan should be very underwhelming next year.

6 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

McCarthy is a mediocre college QB on a very good team. I can't imagine he goes in the first two rounds of the NFL draft if he comes out this year. And I have no doubt that he will suck as an NFL QB.

That said, I hope that he declares. Michigan should be very underwhelming next year.

There are a few threads on the football board more germane to the McCarthy "is he good or does he suck?" debate than this thread if you're interested. Some people apparently really think he's awesome and most expect him to declare. I don't really have a strong opinion about McCarthy as a pro QB at the moment, personally. He has the measurables that the NFL will value. However, I didn't see much in college that made me think "that dude will kill it at the next level".

10 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

McCarthy stuff below, should probably be elsewhere

Spoiler

he was #16 in Brugler's mid season to 50, like pick 20 in Bruglers mock at the end of Nov has been ranked in the top 50 at mock draft consensus since they started tracking stuff before the season. he's been Brugler's QB3 since the season started.

https://theathletic.com/5054445/2023/11/11/jj-mccarthy-2024-nfl-draft-scouting-report/

he is pretty consistently mocked in the first round almost unanimously.

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/players/2024/jj-mccarthy

him being a 3rd day pick would be beyond mildly shocking.

not saying he's some incredible player but the odds of him going in the top 2 or 3 rounds >> the odds of him going outside the top 2 or 3 rounds. he's polarizing for sure but Michigan's play style minimizes him in some pretty huge ways.

he's going to declare.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, MrX said:

Boise State?  Woof. 

This reinforces what I said a few weeks ago. Nelson transferring said a lot more about him than it did Riley. 

Riley obviously has his flaws but he's good at evaluating/developing QBs. The fact Riley was recruiting over Nelson in the portal is all I needed to know. 

Not sure where to ask this but where are these AD Mitchell returning rumors originating from on Twitter? 
No idea, maybe because he hasnt declared yet? That would be huge if true..just hope it doesn't spark portal defections of depth we may need.

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.