2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

46 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Well I am biased against him - when asked if he was excited to play in the RRS, he basically said no - that he didn't care much about it. And then that is how we proceeded to play.

I didn’t see that quote but he played significantly better this year. PK subbed him in critical down and distance situations quite often and he played fine. If he stays on the development curve he will definitely be in the two deep. 

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Bledsoe is one of the most athletic guys on the team and had the quickest first step of any DT last year.  I would expect him to be much more heavily used next year unless he totally screws around and blows off S&C this offseason or otherwise blows it.

Per the staff, they are just waiting on the light bulb here. 

if a couple guys step up, same as last year, we will be fine. The talent is there. Personally, I’m more concerned with the coaching hire than the players right now. 

Edited by Daichee Bell
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Thank you for posting. So he graded better than Broughton who I thought played a lot better this year. And he appears to be an upgrade over Carter. Right now our four man DT rotation is Collins/Savea/Broughton/Mitchell unless we find someone else in the portal this summer. This assumes Mitchell has a good spring and has better conditioning next year. 

Nvm. Someone covered it before I updated 

Edited by Da Fino

2 hours ago, Levi said:

Broughton wasn’t the best against the run but he showed improvement in that area of his game from the ‘22 season. If Broughton continues to get better then he will set a good floor for the D-line run game. Also, I do not agree with your statement that he doesn’t have passion for the game. The intensity and drive was there. We must have been watching two different teams. 

Agree. Broughton was grossly underdeveloped coming out of high school. I'll never forget that twitter video of him working out on a Planet Fitness machine. Good grief it was pathetic. Not sure he knew what a squat or power clean was at that juncture.

For all the talk around here of college S&C programs, there have been decent programs in high schools for decades. Not equivalent to current state of the art D1, but just hitting the basic lifts usually yields impressive results in kids that age. Broughton was a marshmellow. Consecutive seasons of a good training program should add incremental improvement each year. Hoping Torre Becton earns his check this offseason with all our DLs. And for Collins and Broughton, they have the added incentive of it being a contract year.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:
22 minutes ago, Had Enough said:
Y’all outta just trust the coaches.

This is the first staff in a very long time which I honestly do.

Offensive staff unequivocally. Defensive staff is in ‘trust but verify’ territory. 

• Hook 'Em 3

22 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Need Muhammad to jump on board.  Any updates?

Visiting Bama this weekend and visiting Oregon next weekend. Decision after the Oregon visit. Sounds like the Bama visit is out of respect for his previous coach and it's currently Texas as the favorite and the Ducks at 2. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Offensive staff unequivocally. Defensive staff is in ‘trust but verify’ territory. 

This is a bit interesting. I understand that’s the general sentiment, but the defense arguably had a better season with less talent than the offense.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

This is a bit interesting. I understand that’s the general sentiment, but the defense arguably had a better season with less talent than the offense.

Our 2 best defensive position coaches left and we're still saddled with the 2 questionable ones in Joseph and Gideon.

I don't think anyone would have issues trusting Choate and Davis. 

CJ posted on OTF that things are trending for a commitmet for the AZ DT. THey have him at 6'4, 305. 

Bobby chimed in later that ideally we take him and then another DT in the spring portal. Makes sense. New DL coach probably wants time to evaluate his room.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

CJ posted on OTF that things are trending for a commitmet for the AZ DT. THey have him at 6'4, 305. 

Bobby chimed in later that ideally we take him and then another DT in the spring portal. Makes sense. New DL coach probably wants time to evaluate his room.

Is he going to be here for spring semester to go through spring practice or not arrive until summer?

6 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Yeah. Gives us time to tamper someone into the portal I mean further evaluate potential options. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

8 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

6’4” 305 is fantastic. If he’s got some decent athleticism that will be a good fill of the DT gap. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

6’4” 305 is fantastic. If he’s got some decent athleticism that will be a good fill of the DT gap. 

It is good and I'm not complaining, but we still don't have a true nose outside of Sydir Mitchell, who is 30 lbs lighter than Sweat and doesn't have half the motor. Wish we could find a large body to clog the middle. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

It is good and I'm not complaining, but we still don't have a true nose outside of Sydir Mitchell, who is 30 lbs lighter than Sweat and doesn't have half the motor. Wish we could find a large body to clog the middle. 

I don't think you can make much determination currently about Mitchell until post spring. 

• Hook 'Em 3

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.