Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Friend who lives near Conroe said they've had power out for an hour and a half.  His wife's around 7 months pregnant, the temperature in the house is around the outside temp (which is in the upper 80s) and she's told him if power is not back on by 2am, she's going to stay with her parents in Rosenberg and he better not try and stop her.

Snl Season 47 GIF by Saturday Night Live

DAF49415-EEA8-4585-9456-5825DDE3D560.jpeg.82807ea818182b52de3d33f76cf18f49.jpeg

• Haha 8

On 7/30/2023 at 2:43 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

Hottest

Hottest month in recorded human history. Congrats guys

Hottest month in recorded human history SO FAR. 

I'm 2 pages behind so if someone else already made this comment, so be it. It bears repeating. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Macanudo said:

I would have driven to Rosenberg and dropped her off.   A 7 month pregnant woman deserves some AC.

200 years ago the settlers lived their entire lives without AC.  Wven when pregnant.  

Edited by UT_OB1

I'm totally in a funk with this weather. Just brutal knowing it's been going on for weeks/months and there is no end in sight. I feel the stress of all the grass and plants burning up.

Just now, UT_OB1 said:

200 years ago the settlers lived their entire lives without AC, even when pregnant.  

It was also cooler and there was also plenty of space in shady spots like rivers. I went to the Guadalupe and it was like having air conditioning.

4 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

200 years ago the settlers lived their entire lives without AC.  Wven when pregnant.  

WTF

"Traffic sucks!"

Uh... 200 years ago the settlers had to walk to work or ride a horse while being chased by Comanches.

"My internet connection is slow today"

Well... 200 years ago you had to use the pony express.

Who cares what the settlers did 200 years ago!?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, texasdago said:

WTF

"Traffic sucks!"

Uh... 200 years ago the settlers had to walk to work or ride a horse while being chased by Comanches.

"My internet connection is slow today"

Well... 200 years ago you had to use the pony express.

Who cares what the settlers did 200 years ago!?  

Not a Chevy Chase fan, I see

23 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

i grew up playing in the full summer sun in dallas.  in high school we'd playing basketball, volleyball, soccer, tennis, hockey, and baseball pretty much all day without being bothered by the heat.  that stopped after i started college. fast forward a decade when 2011 hit.  that was bad, i got knocked on my pants.  after that i did my best to spend at least a few weeks away from austin every summer.  this summer was the first summer we didn't leave the state.  and honestly it hasn't been terrible.  between my kids' baseball games and swimming everyday i think i've grown acclimated to the heat again.  i was actually *cold* in the pool last night around 8p when it was 90 degrees.  the worst part this summer has been trying to find shaded parking wherever i go.  i hate getting into a superheated car.

not sure when you grew up, but if you look at Austin's weather history for the 1970s, many will be surprised that we has only 30 days of 100F or higher for the whole decade.

image.png.b2bf54fcc71a83854ed073d3cb6c8f0f.png

• Rage+1 6

Uhh my grandparents lived most of their lives without AC. And they never really liked it after; they preferred their swamp cooler.

My mother was picking cotton at age 5 outside Groesbeck. 1937 Texas heat. I can’t imagine it. Then going to eat a bowl of greens and cornbread for the ninth day in a row. In a dirt floor shack.

I am admittedly a heat pussy. There’s an asterisk on my Texas native card. A shame I live with as long as my ac pumps at 70.

2 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

I keep my place at 80 just to give the AC a fighting chance.

I have two fans: 1 for my balls and the other for the dog.

Just bumped mine up from 79 to 80. Part of it is to take it easier on the A/C when it's 107 outside. The other part is that I'm acclimated to it. When the air and ceiling fan are on, I legit get cold. Now if you took away the ceiling fan, I'd be hot as hell.

6 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Just bumped mine up from 79 to 80. Part of it is to take it easier on the A/C when it's 107 outside. The other part is that I'm acclimated to it. When the air and ceiling fan are on, I legit get cold. Now if you took away the ceiling fan, I'd be hot as hell.

I've got the ceiling fan from above and the floor fan from below. With the swamp ass and ball sweat I'm  creating my own tropical system indoors.

Edited by MissingInAction

On 7/31/2023 at 9:29 AM, texasdago said:

I've been going to Barton Springs more than usual and I swear, you take a quick swim and you are air conditioned for the next 20 minutes.

A whole 20 minutes? 

5 hours ago, Grimas said:

Blame Tonga...  With Links to NASA and European Space Agency technical papers on reasons for the current heat increase globally...  (Volcanic cause and not man-made CO2 increases...) 

Blaming nature is no fun. Get with the program. 

It's always interesting to see where people get their information from and what filters are used to make distorted claims such as this heat is all the fault of a volcano and not long-term trends that point to a heating climate.

Volcanic eruptions rarely inject much water into the stratosphere. In the 18 years that NASA has been taking measurements, only two other eruptions – the 2008 Kasatochi event in Alaska and the 2015 Calbuco eruption in Chile – sent appreciable amounts of water vapor to such high altitudes. But those were mere blips compared to the Tonga event, and the water vapor from both previous eruptions dissipated quickly. The excess water vapor injected by the Tonga volcano, on the other hand, could remain in the stratosphere for several years.

This extra water vapor could influence atmospheric chemistry, boosting certain chemical reactions that could temporarily worsen depletion of the ozone layer. It could also influence surface temperatures. Massive volcanic eruptions like Krakatoa and Mount Pinatubo typically cool Earth’s surface by ejecting gases, dust, and ash that reflect sunlight back into space. In contrast, the Tonga volcano didn’t inject large amounts of aerosols into the stratosphere, and the huge amounts of water vapor from the eruption may have a small, temporary warming effect, since water vapor traps heat. The effect would dissipate when the extra water vapor cycles out of the stratosphere and would not be enough to noticeably exacerbate climate change effects.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/tonga-eruption-blasted-unprecedented-amount-of-water-into-stratosphere

Using reconstructions of global climate, Jenkins and his colleagues established the monthly baseline conditions for the 7 years prior to the eruption, then simulated the effect of water vapor in the stratosphere for 7 years after the event. The researchers assumed that the injected water vapor would settle out of the stratosphere in that time. Their model parameters are conservative, Jenkins said, and assumed the volcanic plume spread widely between altitudes and latitudes.

The model calculated the monthly change in Earth’s energy balance caused by the eruption and showed that water vapor could increase the average global temperature by up to 0.035°C over the next 5 years. That’s a large anomaly for a single event, but it’s not outside the usual level of noise in the climate system, Jenkins said. But in the context of the Paris Agreement, it’s a big concern.

“If we’re only a quarter of a degree from 1.5°C, those four hundredths of a degree do actually make a tangible difference,” he said. The planet was already 50% likely to warm past 1.5°C in the next 5 years, and the presence of HTHH’s water vapor increased the odds of temporarily exceeding that threshold to 57%, according to the simulation.

https://eos.org/articles/tonga-eruption-may-temporarily-push-earth-closer-to-1-5c-of-warming

4 hours ago, yoladu said:

not sure when you grew up, but if you look at Austin's weather history for the 1970s, many will be surprised that we has only 30 days of 100F or higher for the whole decade.

image.png.b2bf54fcc71a83854ed073d3cb6c8f0f.png

Man that volcano sure did erupt a lot in the 2010's. 

4 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Uhh my grandparents lived most of their lives without AC. And they never really liked it after; they preferred their swamp cooler.

My mother was picking cotton at age 5 outside Groesbeck. 1937 Texas heat. I can’t imagine it. Then going to eat a bowl of greens and cornbread for the ninth day in a row. In a dirt floor shack.

I am admittedly a heat pussy. There’s an asterisk on my Texas native card. A shame I live with as long as my ac pumps at 70.

Hah my grandmother did the same in the 30s in Mexia just down the road and ate catfish nearly every single day as that's what her dad could catch and they didn't have any $$$ for food in the depression. She still kept her AC at 70 when she became middle class later in life and never looked back.

• Hook 'Em 1

These people consciously eschewing what is incredibly fucking obvious about our overall warming trends?  In this fucking heat, where do they get the energy to seek out all this bullshit data to backup their contention that, "Oh the last 30 years...this is just a normal part of the curve according to a study I've just made up for this conversation."  

I got sent to switch out propane tanks for the grill over the weekend.  Even though it's in the shade at dinnertime, I wasn't looking forward to it but the kids were clamoring for dad's cheeseburgers fresh off the grill.  I got the store where I switch them out and was gonna grab a few things.  I couldn't find any shaded spots anywhere.  So I sat there for a second and just said, "Fuck it."  And drove home and we cooked them inside.  I didn't feel like parking my truck in the sun in 108 degrees.  Even for just 15 minutes.  How can you live through this shit and just pretend like it's not an issue because it may not jive with what your golf buddies claim.  Spoiler alert:  we're all lying to one another about what's going on.  But a lot of people don't want to admit they're wrong, I get it.  

60 more days before I can unclench my ass cheeks.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

100 years ago everyone wore suits at all times.   None of this moisture wicking polycotton golf shirt stuff.

802 Houston | Levelland, TX - Official Website

Even with all the records broken in the last 20-25 years, you still see those 1920's years alongside this bullshit heat trend.  And I still wonder, all those spring months from 1923-1929...9 months after those brutal summers...was there a decline in birth rates?  I mean even if you needed extra hands around the farm, it could not have been remotely tempting to take off the wife's 6 layers of garments after another non-A/C day in 105 degrees and go down on her to get ready for some baby-making.  Plus, in this kinda heat wearing what the men wore in the 1920's...the 9 sperm you had left over that hadn't yet melted that day probably wouldn't make for your strongest swimmers.  I can barely swim in this heat in a tepid 90 degree pool, I doubt my sperm are faring much better.  

I wonder if they wore those goofy ass casual straw boater hats to have sex.  My grandfather used to explain that men wore those in summer to keep cool.  And even then I wondered, "Why not just wear nothing on your head and let your fucking head breathe?"  

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

100 years ago everyone wore suits at all times.   None of this moisture wicking polycotton golf shirt stuff.

802 Houston | Levelland, TX - Official Website

Flatter than a tabletop
Makes you wonder why they stopped here
Wagon must have lost a wheel or they lacked ambition one
On the great migration west
Separated from the rest
Though they might have tried their best
They never caught the sun
So they sunk some roots down in the dirt
To keep from blowin' off the earth
Built a town around here
And when the dust had all but cleared
They called it Levelland, the pride of man
In Levelland

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Even with all the records broken in the last 20-25 years, you still see those 1920's years alongside this bullshit heat trend.  And I still wonder, all those spring months from 1923-1929...9 months after those brutal summers...was there a decline in birth rates?  I mean even if you needed extra hands around the farm, it could not have been remotely tempting to take off the wife's 6 layers of garments after another non-A/C day in 105 degrees and go down on her to get ready for some baby-making.  Plus, in this kinda heat wearing what the men wore in the 1920's...the 9 sperm you had left over that hadn't yet melted that day probably wouldn't make for your strongest swimmers.  I can barely swim in this heat in a tepid 90 degree pool, I doubt my sperm are faring much better.  

I wonder if they wore those goofy ass casual straw boater hats to have sex.  My grandfather used to explain that men wore those in summer to keep cool.  And even then I wondered, "Why not just wear nothing on your head and let your fucking head breathe?"  

Lol this is the 20s, those poor ladies weren't getting any of that action. Just some dirty dicks in their dry pussies as they accumulated UTIs and babies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

Hah my grandmother did the same in the 30s in Mexia just down the road and ate catfish nearly every single day as that's what her dad could catch and they didn't have any $$$ for food in the depression. She still kept her AC at 70 when she became middle class later in life and never looked back.

I like catfish.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Lol this is the 20s, those poor ladies weren't getting any of that action. Just some dirty dicks in their dry pussies as they accumulated UTIs and babies.

No oral sex for the ladies back then?  That would certainly explain their dour expressions for photographs from the era.  There's a church elder at my wife's parish who I volunteer in the kitchen with.  We were looking at photographs in the church archives from the founding days of the Austin Diocese.  And where their church is now was the outskirts of outskirts of Austin near modern day 360.  Anyway, he joked, "Why didn't anybody smile in those early 1900's photos?  There was one camera in each town and it was a huge honor to be photographed and it was this big deal, but nobody ever smiled."  And I responded, "Yeah, I guess they were just uncomfortable in those hot clothes and you had to hold your pose for a whole minute with the one-off flash and slow shutter and all that."  Just making idle chit-chat, and suddenly this devout 80-year old Catholic man who I've never heard swear or make an off-color remark says, "Yeah, that makes sense.  Women looking all pissed off 'cause they gotta wear 4 layers of undergarments in July in Texas because our God finds comfort a sin."  I laughed the rest of my shift. 

As much as I love oral sex, I fucking hate the heat more so I probably wouldn't have made a good sex partner and certainly couldn't have swung gay with all that wool and lack of ventilation or frequent bathing.  You're a homophobic religious nut thinking the gays are recruiting down at our schools and youth rec centers?  Nope.  You wanna curb the numbers, just keep on doing more rolling ERCOT blackouts.  Ain't nobody rolling dirty in this kinda heat with no A/C.   

Furk, only 40 acres, but 10% contained.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/bastrop/home-evacuations-underway-due-to-bastrop-wildfire/

First responders said they’re working Tuesday afternoon to evacuate homes as a “precautionary measure” because of a wildfire burning near Bastrop State Park.

The fire, which is now called the Powder Keg Pine Fire, is estimated at 40 acres and is 10% contained as of 4:15 p.m., according to the Bastrop County Office of Emergency Management. Additionally, the Austin Fire Department said it and other Travis County ESDs sent multiple units as mutual aid to to the fire

First responders said the houses affected by the evacuations are located between Harmon Road and Pine Hill Loop in Bastrop. It’s unclear how many homes are impacted at this time. Neighbors are advised to contact the county hotline at (512) 303-4300 for more information.

Initial reports had the fire’s location listed as the area of Hwy. 71 and Harmon Road.

40 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Careful, you might summon KarenKeyLargo.

Furk, only 40 acres, but 10% contained.
https://www.kxan.com/news/local/bastrop/home-evacuations-underway-due-to-bastrop-wildfire/
First responders said they’re working Tuesday afternoon to evacuate homes as a “precautionary measure” because of a wildfire burning near Bastrop State Park.
The fire, which is now called the Powder Keg Pine Fire, is estimated at 40 acres and is 10% contained as of 4:15 p.m., according to the Bastrop County Office of Emergency Management. Additionally, the Austin Fire Department said it and other Travis County ESDs sent multiple units as mutual aid to to the fire
First responders said the houses affected by the evacuations are located between Harmon Road and Pine Hill Loop in Bastrop. It’s unclear how many homes are impacted at this time. Neighbors are advised to contact the county hotline at (512) 303-4300 for more information.
Initial reports had the fire’s location listed as the area of Hwy. 71 and Harmon Road.

giphy.gif